Yoshida (Sony Japan) - "It’s going to take a few years for PD next Project"

  • Thread starter Thread starter MARcFuLLa
  • 159 comments
  • 12,753 views
Ok , I like gt5 but everytime I play it now ( once a week for an hour to do seasonals ) I'm left feeling robbed. It could and should have been so much more. I can't wait for forza 4 now.
As for gt6 ? By the time that comes out they won't be modelling new cars. They'll be modelling little hover ships ( wipeout beat them to that one too lol ) Either that or apes will of taken over the world !
 
Jay
That GT5 sales data comes from end of 2010, when GT5 was only out less than a month and a half.

Black ops was only 2 weeks earlier !
 
Ok , I like gt5 but everytime I play it now ( once a week for an hour to do seasonals ) I'm left feeling robbed. It could and should have been so much more. I can't wait for forza 4 now.
As for gt6 ? By the time that comes out they won't be modelling new cars. They'll be modelling little hover ships ( wipeout beat them to that one too lol ) Either that or apes will of taken over the world !


I really doubt Apes can take over the world for two major reasons: We outnumber them by a lot, and we have deadlier weaponry.

As for Forza 4, it will turn out great for the Xbox, as far as I can tell. GT5 has come some way from the release version, but I for one can't wait what they are cooking up for GT6.
 
True about the weaponry lol just trying to lighten things up. Too many people taking stuff too seriously.
Forza 4 will try to out do gt5. Gt6 will try to beat forza 4. Forza 5 ....etc ....
We should all just enjoy what we've got or go and try make your own game which I doubt none of us can do better !!
 
True about the weaponry lol just trying to lighten things up. Too many people taking stuff too seriously.
Forza 4 will try to out do gt5. Gt6 will try to beat forza 4. Forza 5 ....etc ....

No way. This is GTPlanet. There are lives at stake over GT versus Forza.:banghead:

Need proof? Go take a look at the Premium vs Standard thread here.

That is if you need a laugh..
 
i read 4 pages on this thread it seems as the launch date for forza gets closer the more there is panic and uproar this turned into. right now even though it has its flaws gt5 is still hot
 
may i add i will try forza with the steering wheel and see what its about
 
Here's an idea. Why don't you lay off the personal attacks and try reasoned arguments. 💡

We've had, what, 10 updates to GT5 since it's release? And according to Kazunori, at least 2 more are on the way. If Sony themselves now confirm that GT6 is a few years away and PD is still working on GT5, I'm guessing it will be more than two. Personally, I'm happy because I think GT5 is actually a good basis to build off of and the game could be supported just as easily through DLC.

But I hardly think, slowly building the game into the title it should have been and arguably could have been upon it's release was a long thought out strategy and plan by PD. It was what they were forced to do when the deadline arrived and they couldn't deliver the game Kazunori intended. I don't pretend to know what PD's budget is or was. But Simon and others are probably correct, when they suggest that better organization and perhaps a larger staff, might have helped them achieve deadlines and goals.

Therein lies the problem. What deadlines; what goals? We don't know, and, you're right, Sony and PD probably have differing ideas. I just hope Sony aren't going to go into "competition" with Microsoft over this (e.g. by attempting to crash the party in October), because it could end up hurting the game even more. Don't get me wrong, I want moar stuffs in teh game™, but there's a way of doing things and there's pandering to the jock mentality of the "core gaming demographic". Or something.

Anyway, this still isn't the GT vs. Forza thread, so I digest.

Anybody come up with an answer to my question yet?
So, this next game. Any outlandish ideas as to what they might come up with?

Here's my uninventive stab:
TT2 or OB2. Or "The Real Film Director Simulator". No? OK. Sorry. :guilty:
 
Well if PD are happy to continue with there staff levels then so be it.
Slightly saddened but oh well.

Don't let me here of a Vita version though, I would find that an insult to it's loyal fanbase because then, people who are crying out for staff increase would have a valid point.

I am pretty sure they did say that GT6 wouldn't take as long because GT5 laid down the foundations.

Was I dreaming that or was that a false statement?

Edit at Griffo's outlandish ideas.

Leaderboards.
 
Well if PD are happy to continue with there staff levels then so be it.
Slightly saddened but oh well.
That hasn't happened. We don't know.
Don't let me here of a Vita version though, I would find that an insult to it's loyal fanbase because then, people who are crying out for staff increase would have a valid point.
That mustn't happen.
I am pretty sure they did say that GT6 wouldn't take as long because GT5 laid down the foundations.

Was I dreaming that or was that a false statement?
That happened. 👍

EDIT:
Leaderboards
As an entire game?
 
Therein lies the problem. What deadlines; what goals? We don't know, and, you're right, Sony and PD probably have differing ideas.

I'll give you three right off the top of my head:

1. Working leaderboards. It's a feature listed right on the back of the box and we STILL don't have them.

2. The PP system. Considering the PP system was already seen in Prologue, I don't think it was some afterthought. And I hardly think PD's "plan" was to release the game and then patch them in after.

3. Fully customizable transmissions. Only patched in after the fact. I mean, was this really part of the plan?

It's very obvious that at some point, probably about a year ago, PD had to make some hard decisions and pull certain features from the game until they could further develop them. Or at least get them working properly. The fact that they're now patching them in rather than doing an EA and just adding them into GT6 is admirable and certainly preferable. But it does have a negative impact on those people who are still living in the dark ages and don't have their PS3 connected online. And you'd be amazed how many there are.
 
Leaderboard as an entire game hmm.

Why not. I'm sure people are curious to see if they have more helmets or colour purples than anyone else.

I think people around here will start to expect bigger updates after this latest statement.

Premium cars, premium tracks, liveries, save tunes better damage modelling and so on etc.

As for the size of the team, I haven't a clue. That's up to Sony I would imagine.
 
I'll give you three right off the top of my head:

1. Working leaderboards. It's a feature listed right on the back of the box and we STILL don't have them.

2. The PP system. Considering the PP system was already seen in Prologue, I don't think it was some afterthought. And I hardly think PD's "plan" was to release the game and then patch them in after.

3. Fully customizable transmissions. Only patched in after the fact. I mean, was this really part of the plan?

It's very obvious that at some point, probably about a year ago, PD had to make some hard decisions and pull certain features from the game until they could further develop them. Or at least get them working properly. The fact that they're now patching them in rather than doing an EA and just adding them into GT6 is admirable and certainly preferable. But it does have a negative impact on those people who are still living in the dark ages and don't have their PS3 connected online. And you'd be amazed how many there are.

Sure, but what deadlines and goals conflicted with those and why? That's what we don't know. I'm worried about the politics, as that seems to be the cause of GT5's "premature" release. Hence I don't want "politics" to start dictating the update timeline in the near future...
 
Griffith500
Sure, but what deadlines and goals conflicted with those and why? That's what we don't know. I'm worried about the politics, as that seems to be the cause of GT5's "premature" release. Hence I don't want "politics" to start dictating the update timeline in the near future...

I think 3D, move(which was touted, so I believe took up some time) and PSP played a large factor.

I do find it funny when people say Sony rushed them to release it.

The way I see it fans put pressure on Sony to get the game out.

Who remembers the Andrew house questions fiasco.
The forum was spammed with questions about GT5 release date.

The question ended up as.

Q. Is GT5 a myth.
A. No I've seen it and it's great.

I think it was getting to be an embarrassment for Sony. I also feel that the fans put out the most pressure though.
 
Considering how long GT5 took and what we got I haven't got high hopes for the next GT. By the time it comes out it will lagging behind all the other competition in features and functionality just like it has with 5. It always feels like an eye candy exercise with PD and that takes priority over all else.

They seriously need to either increase their staff or scale back their visions because what they produce doesn't feel fully realised. There is no excuse given the time they have.
 
Technologically, I don't worry about GT6. Give Polyphony the hardware and they will deliver something special.

Car wise, I don't worry about GT6. Polyphony will have around 500 premiums good to go. That's plenty.

Track wise, I don't worry about GT6. Polyphony will have more tracks built to 'Ring standard.

Game and feature wise? I worry massively. Polyphony have absolutely no idea how to make a game; they have absolutely no idea how to prioritise features.

The fact that garbage like B-Spec and Remote Racing were included in place of in-depth car customisation/modification and tuning show how disjointed Polyphony are from reality. The fact they rehashed the same garbage design from years gone by is another indication of GT's stagnation.

GT6 needs to be something fresh and modern, not the same rehashed garbage all over again.
 
Sure, but what deadlines and goals conflicted with those and why? That's what we don't know. I'm worried about the politics, as that seems to be the cause of GT5's "premature" release. Hence I don't want "politics" to start dictating the update timeline in the near future...

What deadline's conflicted? PD's last (full) PS2 title, GT4, was released in early 2005. The PS3 was released in late 2006. And it wasn't until late in 2010 that GT5 was released. Four years into the PS3's life cycle. I wasn't a PS1/PS2 owner and I didn't own any previous GT titles save Prologue. But GT fans and certainly people on GTP were clamoring for GT5 for YEARS. Imagine if you could go back in time to 2007 or 2008 and take a poll, ask how many people expected it would be close to 2011 before GT5 was on store shelves. I don't think ANYBODY would have imagined it would be that long. Empires have been created and fallen in less time.

The only politics I can imagine taking place are Sony finally giving PD an ultimatum that the game HAD to be on store shelves for Christmas 2010, full stop. Sony is the publisher. Although PD and Sony, share a special relationship, certainly so with Kazunori being on Sony's board, in the end, the developer is answerable to the publisher. It's simple business. Sony is footing the bill. How long were they going to fund development without turning a profit?

If you look at statements Kazunori made back in 2008(?), he was alluding that GT5 would be out soon. Does soon really mean 2 years? Whether it was because of GTPSP or waffling by Sony over what features they wanted, or the possibility that Mr. Yamauchi is a great visionary but was simply not able to effectively manage his great project within the time constraints given, we'll never know for sure. But the fact remains, the game which was released in the box last November, is not the game PD intended to ship. And for whatever reason, it was because PD couldn't finish it before the deadline. That is clear.
 
What deadline's conflicted? PD's last (full) PS2 title, GT4, was released in early 2005. The PS3 was released in late 2006. And it wasn't until late in 2010 that GT5 was released. Four years into the PS3's life cycle. I wasn't a PS1/PS2 owner and I didn't own any previous GT titles save Prologue. But GT fans and certainly people on GTP were clamoring for GT5 for YEARS. Imagine if you could go back in time to 2007 or 2008 and take a poll, ask how many people expected it would be close to 2011 before GT5 was on store shelves. I don't think ANYBODY would have imagined it would be that long. Empires have been created and fallen in less time.

The only politics I can imagine taking place are Sony finally giving PD an ultimatum that the game HAD to be on store shelves for Christmas 2010, full stop. Sony is the publisher. Although PD and Sony, share a special relationship, certainly so with Kazunori being on Sony's board, in the end, the developer is answerable to the publisher. It's simple business. Sony is footing the bill. How long were they going to fund development without turning a profit?

If you look at statements Kazunori made back in 2008(?), he was alluding that GT5 would be out soon. Does soon really mean 2 years? Whether it was because of GTPSP or waffling by Sony over what features they wanted, or the possibility that Mr. Yamauchi is a great visionary but was simply not able to effectively manage his great project within the time constraints given, we'll never know for sure. But the fact remains, the game which was released in the box last November, is not the game PD intended to ship. And for whatever reason, it was because PD couldn't finish it before the deadline. That is clear.

The problem is, the "Vision" for the next Gran Turismo game (see what I did there?) changed dramatically during its development. Anyway, I don't think there's any point in arguing semantics, not when we technically agree with each other.

Spagetti hit the nail on the head, I reckon. So assuming that we as "consumers", and Sony as the "publisher", have learned our collective lessons, is it altogether unreasonable to think this next project won't take as long?

We're not even sure it even is a Gran Turismo game yet, remember.
 
Guys, don't forget GT5P servers go down on September 31st. The servers will probably be free for more online services after that...:trouble:
 
Ok , I like gt5 but everytime I play it now ( once a week for an hour to do seasonals ) I'm left feeling robbed. It could and should have been so much more. I can't wait for forza 4 now.
As for gt6 ? By the time that comes out they won't be modelling new cars. They'll be modelling little hover ships ( wipeout beat them to that one too lol ) Either that or apes will of taken over the world !

Till then you can play FM5,6,7 and with the GT6 release there will be FM8 released too :sly:
 
Till then you can play FM5,6,7 and with the GT6 release there will be FM8 released too :sly:

So the apes will take over in 8 years' time? Who told you this? Is there any way to stop it? It must be stopped! (etc.)

The next gen consoles will just be getting into their stride by then. What a shame.
 
Well, we as fans asked for a lot. We wanted 1000 cars, dynamic weather, day/night shift, rollover, intensive damage, etc. without really thinking how much weight we are putting in their shoulders, especially the fact that they only have 150 staffs and nearly no external help. It's clear that GT5 was forced to release when it did whether Kaz or PD liked it or not. If anything, management issues is the biggest problem and I'm not blaming anyone as it's the reality.

As for GT6, I wouldn't count it on to release on Ps4 as guaranteed. They worked hard on this new engine, and for it to be used only for 1 game is a waste imo. If GT6 were to be on the ps4, we have to realize that standard is once again raised, so we'll never know if Kaz would want to build the engine completely from scratch as they did with GT5. If that's the case, then we're in for a long wait. I rather have them use the engine they have now, perhaps slightly improve it, and pile it with a bunch of content, including those that were cut from GT5.
 
I love this thread it really shows how people are changin.

I love people who claim GT5 is pile of crap and it is inferior game..

I would say to what game ? Forza 3 ? Shift ? Come one we already discussed that...

I love people who claim GT5 haven't achieved anything...

-16 cars on track with 60 FPS, resolution twice as big than competition, Dynamic day and night system with rain and atmosphere, 3D, 24h endurance events, pretty good gravel tracks, best adaptation of NRING in ANY sim game. ROCK SOLID now ONLINE with private rooms. Damn people Online is awasome experience in GT5.

I love people who claim Polyphony has lowest release rate of any company.

Hell yeah: (Straight from PD site)

Gran Turismo 10,850 1997/12/23
Omega Boost ?????? 1999
Gran Turismo 2 9,370 1999/12/11
Gran Turismo 3 A-spec 14,890 2001/04/28
Gran Turismo Concept Series 1,560 2002/01/01
Gran Turismo 4 “Prologue” 1,400 2003/12/04
Gran Turismo 4 11,190 2004/12/28
Tourist Trophy ???? 2006
Gran Turismo 5 “Prologue” 5,200 2007/12/13
Gran Turismo PSP 2,320 2009/10/01
Gran Turismo 5 6,370 2010/11/25
Total 63,150

Yeah they totaly are lazy bunch of people. Not releasing any games and those low numbers yuck. They really suck.


You should people all back to news thread on 1st page there is old jeux france rumors. Try to read that first pages.


You believe this guy words like he is yamauchi...

You should people be more calm. Worst thing to GT franchize will be churning every two years a new game.

We already see what happen if sim game is churned every two years.

Ask forza fans how they like changes in Forza 3in comparition to 2.

People are now hyped after new trailers of Forza 4 and still didn't saw anything real yet.

If we would review games by their trailers gues who would win ? :>


I always liked when people tried to use "real driving game" mame to try summarize it's simulation aspects.

We already by GT5 know what comes first in developing GT in Y mind. First simulation then game.

For me it's a perfect way. Good simulation can hold game playable for years good game content for hours.

Many people still don't realize that as GT5 may be boring to you stiull is on top in simulation aspect for console games not that much from their PC brothers and this is what Gran Turismo should be about.

Yeah it's not the best game ever has some quirks but still it's achievment in many ways where competition still didn't catch up.
 
Guys, this isn't a GT VS. Forza thread.. seriously, stay on topic or else a mod may take action..
 
Much of what people feel is ground breaking about GT5 is subjective, sure it has moved the bar forward in some respects (mainly car visuals) but the majority of its 'new' features have been done and surpassed by nearly every other major racing franchise in the years its been in development. Its almost like GT5 was designed to be impressive in a 2005/6 world but came out in 2010.

In my opinion the online is similar to the standard stuff you get in one year developed games, its certainly nothing special. Even the need for speed games have richer online functionality and integration.

The PD formula hasn't changed since GT1, its recycling the same stuff again and again with a few extra's tacked on and for me its not impressive any more in the modern gaming world. Its actually sad to see PD so complacent and its probably because people keep lapping it up in millions of sales so they don't have any reason to try and innovate.

GT6 will be more of the same, likely GT5 up-ressed with some more premiums.
 
Enough with the Forza stuff... this isn't the place to discuss that.

I hope that GT6 will still be released this decade.
 
I'm glad that PD has not stopped working on gt5 but I don't want 60 gigs of accumulated updates sitting on my ps3 hard drive.

I mean how much more can you really add via update to GT5 to really call the game finnished?
 
I'm glad the still working on GT5, there is still much to improve, but I have enjoyed the new patches so far and the seasonal events are a great, and it's free:)

I recently bought a new PS3 when my old PS3 died in february, and the first thing I noticed when I started up GT5 was how much better it was compared to when it was released, sure, they have only changed small things and added minor stuff but now the game feels much more solid.

Kudos to PD:tup:
 
After 5 years making , but still working on updating the games to live expectations? & have to wait few years for GT6?

PD , are u joking? right now there is no more 6 month per car model anymore...
 
I'm glad the still working on GT5, there is still much to improve, but I have enjoyed the new patches so far and the seasonal events are a great, and it's free:)

I recently bought a new PS3 when my old PS3 died in february, and the first thing I noticed when I started up GT5 was how much better it was compared to when it was released, sure, they have only changed small things and added minor stuff but now the game feels much more solid.

Kudos to PD:tup:

👍 I'm really excited for when the prologue servers shut down to see what we have in store.
 
Back