The thing is, a new platform doesnt mean just more ram and gpu power, we saw with the PS3 how they hit the developers in the face with a complicated system architecture. If this happens again with the PS4, it would cause a real slow start all over again. PD just mastered the PS3 and a new console means that they can redo things all over again.
And "..a few years.." doesnt sound like 1-2 years, that sounds like a far distant point in the future. But by then MS is hitting the market with their next box and Forza 5.
I hope that this competition helps GT6 to become a real GT-experience.
By complicated, you mean "different" and "not especially well supported (for a time)". The XBox 360 uses atypical hardware, too, but Microsoft is so on the ball about these things (Developers, developers, developers
etc.) that they made sure they had a decent support structure, and made minor tweaks to the production methods to make sure existing developers could jump straight on the band wagon. Added to that is the relative abstraction of the C# "language" and the libraries available for it, where memory management can be a thing of the past (yay, non programmers can program - like me!) whilst the PS3 requires you to schedule multiple threads and (SPE) memory allocations etc.
I'm sure by now most software developers have their own libraries to deal with this sort of thing on PS3, and it won't take (as) much to port this kind of thing to other hardware.
I think it was more just a shock to the system for those developers coming from ordinary threading hardware (like PCs, the XBox, prior PS consoles etc.) to something that
requires parallel methods to get the most of.
The fact is, parallelism is the way of the future - serial throughput is reaching a limit already, and multi-core processing is fast becoming the norm. The problem is, parallel computing is "hard", and was relatively unexplored for this kind of software, so developers were reluctant to take it on.
That's changed, so the next consoles will heavily exploit parallel computing and so are more likely to be
more "complicated" than the PS3, I think, and everything will be fine and dandy in both camps. Microsoft will probably still have the edge in developer support, though; they've been doing it far longer. Although I expect Sony will have learned from this, I just wonder if they'll actually do anything for non-first-party devs this time.
By the way: "Next Box"; excellent!
I may have made small mistakes on the details, and I'm sure a real software expert could tell you more.