Your question to Kazunori Yamauchi or Gilles Vidal

• Thread starter Zlork
  • 342 comments
Basically, if you like GT because you can see the potential hidden under its flaws, you'll continue to like GT in the future.

If you don't share any enthusiasm for that potential, then other games may suit better (or at least cover more ground in combination, which is more likely).

That's standard fare for any game (series), really. Every game scratches its own unique set of itches. If you don't got those itches, then it's time to find another scratching post.

The ideal situation would be for everyone to have their own personal, bespoke, as-near-as-perfect-as-is-possible scratching post. That won't happen by trying to make every scratching post your own.

How nice. +18 months of developments and no further words either on the reasons of the huge delay or any date for its release.

Your question about the course maker didn't ask about when it might be released though.

@Zlork
We knew CM was still planned, confirmed by @Famine a little while ago.

New cars just means the rest of VGT and maybe a random one, not exactly a surprise.

No new tracks, didn't really expect any new ones, Pikes was a pipedream, at least he was straight up about that.

No more customization, well we knew that LOL.

So... what exactly have we gained from this interview? Zilch.

Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the effort you went through, it's Kaz I'm ranting about not you.

Why are you ranting about Kaz because you already knew/guessed the answers to the questions?

Last edited:
Your question about the course maker didn't ask about when it might be released though.

Exactly, the question was too vague....

YZF
They are working on course maker, but it will be released for GT7. Mark my words.

JVL : Could you tell us where is the statut of the course maker and why this feature need much time to development ?
Kazunori : It's still in progress, but it takes us more work than expected

JVL : Possible to add more customization options for GT6 ?
Kazunori : For now, the only planned update concerning the course maker

;)

They planned to release it in the first months after GT6 release. Thats 1,5 year ago....

sometimes 'plans suddenly change' :)

YZF
They planned to release it in the first months after GT6 release. Thats 1,5 year ago....

sometimes 'plans suddenly change' :)

They're not gonna develop it for so long then decide to port it to an entirely different framework.

If they've already made such a decision, we would know, and they wouldn't say it's still planned for GT6 in an interview that took place last week.

We'll see how wrong you are, soon enough. :lol:

Seems funny how Kaz avoids to talk about GT7 at E3 and just talking about the GT7 itself (calling it a next Gran Turismo). It can mean only one thing.

They're not gonna develop it for so long then decide to port it to an entirely different framework.

If they've already made such a decision, we would know, and they wouldn't say it's still planned for GT6 in an interview that took place last week.

We'll see, we'll see.... :)

With Kaz everything is possible. The thing is, they said that they've changed the whole structure of the game to make it more easy to handle. The idea was to make a "platform" so they can add everything they can in the future, no matter what. If I remember correctly, the main code for GT6 is planned to work with PS4 and GT7 and so on. I like the idea, I really do, but I don't how on earth they will be able to work with something programmed on PS3 on PS4.
We'll see. Even as a die hard fan, this situation it's almost ridiculous.
I'd love to have the course maker and the famous event maker, but with the PS4 around I don't know. Maybe Kaz has a HUGE green light thanks to the series itself, but at the very end, this is a business. Sony has been more than generous with him (Kaz is a member of the directive of Sony CE)....
That's another thing, I can't believe when everyone starts to blame Sony, the game sells well, it's a great game, but it's not up to the standards of the competition. There are certain things that I'd love to have, but those are minimal details, it's not that I'd change my console just to play or see a little detail I'd love. It's not a game changer for me.
We, at some degree, are the reason why the game it's what it is. We, again at some degree, are letting Kaz to do what he wants with the game. As Griffith said, the game has a potential, even with its flaws, those are there, the thing is to make something with those potentially great things.
It's a great game, but it needs to be better, A LOT BETTER to grab the attention of everyone again.

Regarding the PS3 / PS4 co-development issue, it's "simple": you code in a modular and functional manner.

Modularity allows a high-level (system-design) separation of each sub-portion of a large system via interfaces, so it's easier to make changes to the inner workings of each module without knock-on effects to other modules (as long as it doesn't affect the interface) - the other systems it interacts with are only concerned with the interface, not the nuts and bolts.

The functional paradigm removes "side effects", which are mainly unintended consequences of modifying shared data, because making changes to the way one area of code manipulates data without understanding how it affects the same data when fed to another area at another (or even "the same") time tends to breed particularly nasty bugs. Using a functional programming style can eliminate that side-effect (with some effort), further separating the inter-dependence of different parts of the overall system, allowing a robust environment for making future changes or providing several different options for a single module.

So the basic framework of the overall system is generic code that is easy to port, largely owing to its non-performance-critical nature. The specific implementation of something like a geometric transformation of a track element will vary from hardware to hardware, if only for the purposes of making it work as fast as possible.

That's where the modularity comes in: just swap out the implementation, when the time comes, by switching the code modules, all self-contained in a data-driven functional style to reduce side-effects. Once the modular framework is established and all interfaces are working, it implies you can work on all versions of a given module at the same time and get an idea ahead of time whether certain features are going to work on a given platform in a given implementation.

Of course, this is all in principle, because writing true modular and purely functional code is not easy, and requires some serious system-level design skills for all the module interfaces and efficient isolation of data-flow for the functional style. Not to mention the actual programming talent required to work in a functional style in a non-functional language like C++, in order to get most of the robustness of the functional style without too much of the usual slowdown ("inefficiency") of true functional languages.

The implication here is to design the overall system so that only the critical, swappable parts (i.e. those that are both performance critical and hardware dependent) are considered for a functional implementation, then you can save time everywhere else. A modular design goes a long way by itself, as long as the interfaces don't need to change much between versions.

JVL : About engine sounds in the next Gran Turismo, they will be changed, and how ?
Kazunori : We've been working on the next gen sound for 5 years, so they [the sounds] will change. I can't tell you what will change at the moment, but I they will change.

That means, they are now working over 5 years for the PS4 GT game?

i just compared the video interview with the translation.I was trying to see his respnse with the questions
and how he handled them:

-Course Maker: he is definitely saying the truth about that it still in the works, you can see how he giggles
at the end of the sentence.This could mean that they really are trying to make the best possible course maker for the game now.It could be that the CM is already over, but they probably need more time for adjusting and testing for bugs
and errors.

-E3: Unfortunately they didn't show him at this point, couldn't see his face but he did sound serious.
:banghead:
And from that on, every answer sound true to me.The CM suprised me the most, can't wait for it!
:D

Kaz needs to know that every day the CM delays the lower the gt6 user base gets. So the more enhanced tweaks he may be trying to add will be enjoyed by fewer people.

Think he needs to be realistic here than over a year wait is not acceptable and should offer a dlc free too to keep the fans happy.

Kaz needs to know that every day the CM delays the lower the gt6 user base gets. So the more enhanced tweaks he may be trying to add will be enjoyed by fewer people.

Think he needs to be realistic here than over a year wait is not acceptable and should offer a dlc free too to keep the fans happy.
I don't think he cares about how many people get to use course maker, it's more about keeping the promise and not failing again. They will use it in the next GT anyway.

It's not that I'm not playing GT6 because of the lack of a course maker. I'm not playing GT6 due to the lack of career mode content and that I've completed everything months ago.

Also to backup what @TurismoBad said, I seem to recall at one point, perhaps when GT6 was being revealed, that Kaz mentioned they try to make every GT "different" from each other, if you disregard the standards they took from GT4.

So the likeliness of the CM carrying over is probably not likely, if it does it will look quite different in terms of interface and map area's etc.

Nobody knows what it will involve really... yet.
I do...:sly: Begins within 6 days if the announced launch dates are kept.

The competition will consist of three “championships”: the “National Championship”, “Regional Championship”, and an “International Championship”.
Other details include:
  • To be made accessible to all age groups.
  • A wide variety of racing categories.
  • Winner celebrated at FIA Prize Giving ceremony.
  • Delivery of a message emphasizing safety.
  • Final race to be supervised by FIA officials.
These details emphasize the high-profile nature of the competition – the “FIA Prize Giving Ceremony” is one of the most glamorous off-track events in motorsport. Typically held in Monaco or Paris, it’s where the Formula One, WRC, WTCC, WEC, and all other FIA-sanctioned world championship trophies are awarded, and next year a Gran Turismo player will be right there with them.
There you go

Last edited:
Oh boy... That's sweet.

It is a nice use of the FIA recognition. We have the tracks, the cars (asides from interiors, but no one seem to care at those events anyway) and a glorious atmosphere for this type of events... yet, I do wonder if GT is ready for sanctioned race...

It's not that I'm not playing GT6 because of the lack of a course maker. I'm not playing GT6 due to the lack of career mode content and that I've completed everything months ago.
Not related to the thread or anything, but this is where I, and many others I presume, differ. Though I don't really care for the career, I still play GT6. Hotlapping, joining lobbies (the more realistically set-up ones) and just using GT to cool down.

Just a question to you or anyone else who gives a poo to give a reply, a terse one at least: Do you play games regularly, or better yet, do you consider yourself an all-around gamer and not a sole sim-racer? Do you know what you I'm trying to get at?

For example, The first game I got for this gen of consoles was Destiny because it came with the bundle, then I waited for GTA V to re-release. The next games I got were discounted like the TLOU and a bunch of smaller ones or others I got for free through PS+, then I waited (am waiting) until Killzone got real cheap USED and others became a bargain, as well.

I'm genuinely curious.

Not related to the thread or anything, but this is where I, and many others I presume, differ. Though I don't really care for the career, I still play GT6. Hotlapping, joining lobbies (the more realistically set-up ones) and just using GT to cool down.

Just a question to you or anyone else who gives a poo to give a reply, a terse one at least: Do you play games regularly, or better yet, do you consider yourself an all-around gamer and not a sole sim-racer? Do you know what you I'm trying to get at?

For example, The first game I got for this gen of consoles was Destiny because it came with the bundle, then I waited for GTA V to re-release. The next games I got were discounted like the TLOU and a bunch of smaller ones or others I got for free through PS+, then I waited (am waiting) until Killzone got real cheap USED and others became a bargain, as well.

I'm genuinely curious.
Yes, I play many other games, which is why it doesn't bother me that much that GT6, and even GT5 for that matter, didn't get played as much as GT1-GT4 did. My main game right now is War Thunder.

I'm genuinely curious.

I'm an all-round gamer as my life doesn't revolve around sims. However, with the wheel debacle that's currently happening on current gen, I'm pretty much going to walk away from sims altogether and stick with racers on a pad.

Latest Posts

Back