Zeta News 2.0: New VF Commodore and Chevrolet SS

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 2,379 comments
  • 200,928 views
Well it's the revised Tremec T56 M10 gearbox so it shouldn't be too bad. I havent driven one yet so I can't say for sure.
 
Looks even better in person.

Had one at the car show here recently.
 
Too bad It'll probably stick around for 10 years and go. 👎
 
I think they were kicking around the idea of killing the M10 simply because it doesn't allow the driver to put the cylinder deactivation feature to its best form of use. I may be mistaken, however...
 
I think they were kicking around the idea of killing the M10 simply because it doesn't allow the driver to put the cylinder deactivation feature to its best form of use. I may be mistaken, however...

Lame, but it figures. They can't drop the manual here on performance models though, we like our manuals too much.
 
I think they were kicking around the idea of killing the M10 simply because it doesn't allow the driver to put the cylinder deactivation feature to its best form of use. I may be mistaken, however...
Not saying you are wrong (because GM has done some stupid stuff), but even ignoring cylinder deactivation, the T56 M10 is still a manual, and the 6L80 is still a slushbox. All adding cylinder deactivation to the 6L80 would do is make it so they are roughly similar in MPG.
 
The arguement I had heard from Lutz was that somehow (and I don't know how), the manual would receive worse MPG and emissions ratings than the automatic car.

...Yes, I realize it doesn't make any sense at all...
 
Pretty much, that, or he once again was delivered horrible information... Again...

Remember the last time they "halted" development of the Zeta chassis? Yeah, that went over well!

We can wait a bit I suppose. The good news is that they still plan to offer it, but even then, I'm happy enough with the 6L80E. Even better news is that the transmission in question easily bolts-up to the LS7, which means early "GXP" knock-offs will start happening real early in 2008...
 
*BUMP*

w00t!!! Camaro Pics!!!

Autoblog
KGP Photographers in Europe caught a caravan of Holden test cars heading up to the Arctic Circle for testing, and lo and behold a pair of Chevy Camaros were along for the ride, as well. The truck was apparently unattended, as the photographers crawled all over it to get close up pics of the Camaro, including the very first shots of what should be the production interior. But let's start with the exterior, where we see the familiar shape of the concept that's been toned down a smidge for mass production. We're particularly interested in the C-pillar that appears to be the most significantly changed part of the car's exterior. The rear fenders look to carry on straight back as the greenhouse turns in towards the center of the car after the B-pillar. The effect is a pair of pronounced rear haunches that sits high atop the 20-inch wheels shod with 245/45 ZR20 Pirello P Zero tires.

Glance inside and you'll see a production interior that's remarkably close to the highly stylized retro interior of the concept. The two big analog gauges remain front and center behind the retro-looking wheel, for instance. The center stack, however, has been modified to accept a modern stereo and some useable HVAC controls, though it sits atop a cluster of four gauges giving the car's vitals. All in all, it appears that the production Camaro will retain more of the concept's flair than we thought, so kudos to GM for seeing it through.

camaro.fc.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.fw.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.re.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.trans1.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.rc.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.intdoor.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.intd1.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.int.pw.kgp.ed.jpg


camaro.int.dcu.kgp.ed.jpg


...Wow...

That looks amazingly close to production, and we're still about 10 months from the first "official" models rolling out of Canada. Huge thumbs up to GM for making the transition from concept to production something without too many changes, and furthermore, making that interior distinctively unique within the entire company.

I can't wait to see the real deal!!!
 
well...I'll have to wait for the production to give final judgement on the interior, but right now it looks amazingly close to Rental. I can hope the base V6 models are better than this. I know the V8s will be.

((Okay, I know i'm being harsh, given that this thing gets abused like a 16-year-old's car, but the first couple shots weren't confidence-inspiring to me. the third looks a bit better. Not sure about the gauges down by the shifter, though. that's a bit TOO retro.))

((And why does it contain "less than 10 liters of fuel"? and why do they have to know this?))
 
And now to update the Update!!!

Ed Pepper
I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday season and is looking forward to 2008, because I know I am.

Word has come down from Bob Lutz to remove the camo from the pre-production Camaros so further evaluations could be done for aerodynamics and cooling efficiency.

Here - for the enjoyment of our FastLane readers - is the first picture of the Camaro development vehicle without camouflage:

camaro_fl.jpg


During this upcoming year, pre-production Camaros will appear both on U.S. and Australian roads as we continue with testing and development. So keep those camera phones ready- if you happen to see one, we'd like to hear about it, so please post a comment and include your "spy photo!"

Holy F'in S! The people at GM are so f'ing awesome, I can't believe it right now!!!

===

I noticed this earlier, but now the websites are talking about it...

LLN.com
Just hours ago, spy photographers spotted a prototype of the new Chevrolet Camaro on the back of a transport truck. While the photos gave us our first glimpse at the Camaro's interior, we also noticed something else very interesting in the shots.

On the back of the transport truck is a Holden Commodore SS wagon wearing camouflage. While the Commodore wagon has yet to hit the Australian market — it has a scheduled launch for the first half of 2008 — its seems a little too close to the model's launch to still be testing the vehicle.

While it's possible that this vehicle is just a prototype for the high-performance SS model and will bow shortly after the standard model — as GM does with the CTS and CTS-V — that scenario seems a bit unlikely since the SS sedan model is already on the market.

The more likely possibility is that this is the first prototype seen of the Pontiac-badged Commodore wagon. GM recently confirmed that the U.S. will receive versions of the Commodore wagon and ute — as long as current prices stay relatively flat — and the Commodore-based Pontiac G8 is already bound for our shores. The front bumper of the prototype looks to be slightly revised from the one seen on the SS sedan and could be the result of different U.S. vehicle standards.

pontiac-wagon-1.jpg


pontiac-wagon-3.jpg


I noticed the new bumper earlier, but I wasn't completely sure, so I didn't say anything. That, and the cold-weather testing (colder than what you'd find anywhere in Australia) seemed odd as well. This, combined with the photograph of the UTE on the top of the truck bed as well, yeah, that at least for me confirms that the US is 99% likely to get both the Sportwagon and the "G8 ST" Ute.
 
Big Zeta News day, Huh?

Yeah, Noticed the Ute and Wagon, didnt' really give a thought to either. 'till now.
 
That is a truckload made of WIN. Besides the load of Holden awesomness, is that a Holden Statesman at the back? AKA Chevrolet Caprice, Buick Park Avenue?
 
:rolleyes: Pre-production models don't need fit-and-finish, or high quality plastics.

I'm not talking about the quality, I'm talking about the layout and basic overall design. :yuck:
 
I like it, shamelessly retro.
 
Mother%@#%$& YES! I was secretly hoping, dreaming, pleading that they would make the interior the 100% piece of pure awesome that the concept doodles were 3 years ago. And I never really thought they would do it, or that they would dull it like they did with the Mustang. Seeing it in the flesh...If the Camaro doesn't outsell the Mustang this time, there is no justice. All the interior needs is the flamboyant interior lighting and huge, engraved in the base gear numbers from the 2006 concept and we have kewlest interior in the world.
 
That is a truckload made of WIN. Besides the load of Holden awesomness, is that a Holden Statesman at the back? AKA Chevrolet Caprice, Buick Park Avenue?

The white one on the back of the top layer (behind the black Commodore) is indeed a Holden Statesman.
 
Mother%@#%$& YES! I was secretly hoping, dreaming, pleading that they would make the interior the 100% piece of pure awesome that the concept doodles were 3 years ago. And I never really thought they would do it,

Agree completely. I'm astounded on how pure awsome it looks inside and out. I mean look at those center console gauges...omfg that is automotive sex.

And as a seperate but just as sexily awsome that Holden Estate looks brilliant even in semi-camo.
 
I have a feeling that transport driver is going to be in trouble...the Aussies will probably sick a dingo on his baby.
 
Hmm I wonder why they have a HSV Senator and HSV Maloo on the truck.
 
My guess?

Cold-weather testing such as this suggests that, at least from my perspective, that both vehicles will be headed to the United States after their respective models make their debut (ie the G8 and G8 ST). This photo set was literally FULL of Easter Eggs, and generally speaking, one may be able to draw similar conclusions about the Statesman... Given that it may still be coming to the United States as either a Chevrolet or a Buick.

Although GM does receive and "EPIC FAIL" today for the cancellation of the "Ultra V8" program, these pictures and the announcement that all Camaro prototypes will go without camouflage from now on... Well played GM, well played...
 
Although GM does receive and "EPIC FAIL" today for the cancellation of the "Ultra V8" program,
Meh. Just bore out the Northstar. Its not like the engine is too terribly behind the curve anyways as it stands now.
Besides, there are still rumours of the V12 based on the High Feature V6.
 
Very true, but I still would have hoped for that 4.8L unit with well over 400 BHP. Would have been great...

I do wonder if one of those Camaro prototypes was a V6 model, however, I'm probably going to assume that it isn't the case. We still don't know much about the V8 they chose for those cars either, which is odd as well. I'm still putting cash down on the "base" V8 model having the 362 BHP L76 from the G8, the SS more likely to have the LS3 from the Corvette with 415 or so BHP.
 
Very true, but I still would have hoped for that 4.8L unit with well over 400 BHP. Would have been great...
Assuming Wikipedia is right, they could bore out the Northstar to 5.4L and have an easy 420 horses. Then they could up the boost on the 4.4 (or boost the 4.6) or something to make a v version, or just make a V12.
Better yet, they could kidnap Carrol Shelby and make him work on the Northstar. It would be much more worthwhile then anything he does at Ford at the moment (though it wouldn't pay as well, I suspect).

You know what would also be cool? An Atlas Camaro. Because I think a Camaro with an I6 would be cool. Or a Camaro with a 454. Awesome. Tell greenies to shove it.


Fun fact: I typed "Northstar" into Wikipedia and got a gay X-Men character.
 
My guess?

Cold-weather testing such as this suggests that, at least from my perspective, that both vehicles will be headed to the United States after their respective models make their debut (ie the G8 and G8 ST). This photo set was literally FULL of Easter Eggs, and generally speaking, one may be able to draw similar conclusions about the Statesman... Given that it may still be coming to the United States as either a Chevrolet or a Buick.

Well HSV's are already being sold in the UK, and they would have had to have done cold weather testing to them, maybe they want to expand models in Europe? (although I can't imagine them wanting the Maloo)
 
Back