United Kingdom
England
GTP_Sphinx

ps3-logo.jpg

:: GTP_Race Event 01 ::

:: Stage Two Discussion Thread ::

GTP.jpg

Last edited:
Feel free to comment on the GTP OLR Rules & Guidelines ... We would like to hear your thoughts on it? 👍
I did some quick reading on that document (credits also to Bert?) and it seems quite complete and with the right depth and sternness.
Later on I'll take time for a more careful check and report back. Comments in this thread?

Now if we could only get F1 rules laid out as good as these:sly:Well done guys on a great job in doing both the rules and this event..respect to each of you:bowdown::bowdown::)

Very clear and well thought out.👍👍
Here is a quick question,dose the password change after this event has finished?

Last edited:
Feel free to comment on the GTP OLR Rules & Guidelines.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111241

We would like to hear your thoughts on it? 👍
Some remarks:

- 05.A: easier reading by changing to "When you enter or exit the pit-lane, you're not allowed to cross the white pit-exit-line."
- 05.C: might be good to add: "except when other drivers are being serviced"

- 09.E: I don't know if you can force players to use the side view buttons so often that its use can prevent not knowing that a racer was close. I only use sideview when I have plenty of time, NOT in the middle of race traffic.

- 13.A: "driver's" change to "drivers"

That's it for now.

Some remarks:

- 05.A: easier reading by changing to "When you enter or exit the pit-lane, you're not allowed to cross the white pit-exit-line."

As far as I know you can't enter and exit the pitlane at the same side AND make a pitstop.

bigracer
- 05.C: might be good to add: "except when other drivers are being serviced"

That's why the rules state 'when entering' and not 'in'. Though, I wouldn't mind to get serviced when entering the pitlane ;) Or did you mean cars iso drivers? Still, no need to change that.

bigracer
- 09.E: I don't know if you can force players to use the side view buttons so often that its use can prevent not knowing that a racer was close. I only use sideview when I have plenty of time, NOT in the middle of race traffic.

No, that's why we don't force them to do so. But what is your point? It doesn't matter if you cause a collision with or without using the side view, it is still you who is responsible. We only want all drivers to have side view assigned, to prevent people coming with the excuse "I couldn't see you because my setup doesn't allow side view".

bigracer
- 13.A: "driver's" change to "drivers"

Correct. I see that's already covered.

bigracer
That's it for now.

There's more to come?? Please come with some valid points, except for the spelling mistake, next time, because having to reply on this type of remarks is a waste of our admins time.

There's more to come?? Please come with some valid points, except for the spelling mistake, next time, because having to reply on this type of remarks is a waste of our admins time.
All right. Sorry to waste your time :confused:

Thanks for the comments so far. We obviously won't please everyone , all the time. The main thing is to have a clear and understandable set of rules so that we don't have as many rule sets as we have registry members. :sly:

But any feedback for clarification or improvement is welcome, even if we choose to ignore you. ;)

Working my way through the rules because this is all new to me - fascinated by section 9 concerning who has position in corners - I have read section 4B numerous times and just can't seem to understand what exactly it is say:

B:
As a general rule, if there isn’t a stated rule, and then the rules as they are within a program will apply - both intentional and coincidental. I.e. the way a matter is handled by a racing program is the way that it will be interpreted by the Race Steward.

What does that mean? Thanks!

Working my way through the rules because this is all new to me - fascinated by section 9 concerning who has position in corners - I have read section 4B numerous times and just can't seem to understand what exactly it is say:

B:
As a general rule, if there isn’t a stated rule, and then the rules as they are within a program will apply - both intentional and coincidental. I.e. the way a matter is handled by a racing program is the way that it will be interpreted by the Race Steward.

What does that mean? Thanks!

I interpret that to mean, if there is something not called out in the rules here that is against the rules within the game (i.e., it would earn you a penalty), then it's against the rules and the steward would consider it a rules violation.

EDK
I interpret that to mean, if there is something not called out in the rules here that is against the rules within the game (i.e., it would earn you a penalty), then it's against the rules and the steward would consider it a rules violation.

AH! Now it makes sense - to have it read better I would remove the "and" just after the second comma like this:

It was that "and" which was throwing off how I read the passage and making it difficult for me to understand the meaning.

AH! Now it makes sense - to have it read better I would remove the "and" just after the second comma like this:

It was that "and" which was throwing off how I read the passage and making it difficult for me to understand the meaning.

Thanks - Sorted 👍

Welcome fellow Hog. :sly:

What in the world is a Hog?

I have another question concerning the OLR - why does a driver on the inside while approaching a turn have position? Let's take the case were 2 cars are side by side heading into 130R at Suz and the car on the inside has just attempted a pass and is to the point where the driver position has just passed the front of the outside car.

If I look at that instance it would seem to me that the driver approaching that turn on the inside but hasn't fully completed the pass is in the worst possible position while the driver on the outside has a better position for taking the turn at optimal speed. Why give the advantage to the person who is not in the best position to take the turn and reward them for prematurely trying to pass when they honestly didn't have enough time putting both drivers at risk for the upcoming turn? Seems like you are rewarding someone for putting 2 racers at risk.

In my humble, less experienced opinion I would think that someone should be required to pass and return to a more optimal driving line well before the entry to a turn rather than simply establish a bad position and stand behind a rule.

Maybe I just don't understand driving lines all that well but I always thought the inside line approaching a turn puts you out of line to take the turn as fast as possible because you are then making the turn sharper than it needs to be thus requiring a slower speed.

I look forward to being educated/schooled here. :)

What in the world is a Hog?

I have another question concerning the OLR - why does a driver on the inside while approaching a turn have position? Let's take the case were 2 cars are side by side heading into 130R at Suz and the car on the inside has just attempted a pass and is to the point where the driver position has just passed the front of the outside car.

If I look at that instance it would seem to me that the driver approaching that turn on the inside but hasn't fully completed the pass is in the worst possible position while the driver on the outside has a better position for taking the turn at optimal speed. Why give the advantage to the person who is not in the best position to take the turn and reward them for prematurely trying to pass when they honestly didn't have enough time putting both drivers at risk for the upcoming turn? Seems like you are rewarding someone for putting 2 racers at risk.

In my humble, less experienced opinion I would think that someone should be required to pass and return to a more optimal driving line well before the entry to a turn rather than simply establish a bad position and stand behind a rule.

Maybe I just don't understand driving lines all that well but I always thought the inside line approaching a turn puts you out of line to take the turn as fast as possible because you are then making the turn sharper than it needs to be thus requiring a slower speed.

I look forward to being educated/schooled here. :)

It's that once overlap is established, each driver has rights to their respective side of the track. That's no matter where you are on the track, neither driver has the right to squeeze the other driver out.

So, if the driver on the outside is able to complete the turn more quickly than the driver on the inside (doubtful), they would keep the forward position.

In viewing the footage, it looked to me like the outside driver intiated contact, which is also against the rules.

If you start trying to govern where people can and cannot make passes, things will get complicated very quickly. So rather than do that, it more a matter of as long as you can make or start a pass cleanly and establish position, you have the right to your side of the track.

And as a side note, that portion of the rules was actually adopted from another long standing OLR league's set of rules. It was just reworded and clarified for our purposes.

And I think if you looked at real world racing, standard etiquette would dictate the same rule.

Hope that helps. 👍

EDK
It's that once overlap is established, each driver has rights to their respective side of the track. That's no matter where you are on the track, neither driver has the right to squeeze the other driver out.

So, if the driver on the outside is able to complete the turn more quickly than the driver on the inside (doubtful), they would keep the forward position.

In viewing the footage, it looked to me like the outside driver intiated contact, which is also against the rules.

If you start trying to govern where people can and cannot make passes, things will get complicated very quickly. So rather than do that, it more a matter of as long as you can make or start a pass cleanly and establish position, you have the right to your side of the track.

And as a side note, that portion of the rules was actually adopted from another long standing OLR league's set of rules. It was just reworded and clarified for our purposes.

And I think if you looked at real world racing, standard etiquette would dictate the same rule.

Hope that helps. 👍
But(and here is the gray part) the inside car past in a painted zone,which is "out of bounds".I am going by the rules I enforce in the ASN,IKF.So this is a pass I would have never tried on the inside.But(prt 2 of gray)if he was forced down into this position by the out side car,should he have A) lifted or B) finished the pass.I think this is what has caused the conflick between the 2 of them.
I do feel that our rules for online are very well thought out. So going by this,they are both guilty of breaking at lest one rule.

Last edited:
But(and here is the gray part) the inside car past in a painted zone,which is "out of bounds".I am going by the rules I enforce in the ASN,IKF.So this is a pass I would have never tried on the inside.But(prt 2 of gray)if he was forced down into this position by the out side car,should he have A) lifted or B) finished the pass.I think this is what has caused the conflick between the 2 of them.
I do feel that our rules for online are very well thought out. So going by this,they are both guilty of breaking at lest one rule.

We have nothing in the rules that has defined the painted lines as track boundaries. That's not to say we cannot.

In this case, the rules within the race program (GT5;P) would determine whether or not that area of the track is OB.

So, the 6 of us who were involved in the development of the rules will need to discuss whether or not we would add something in regard to lines and OB.

:dunce:Thats right,the line rule was for the qualifier.:dopey:

We did have this rule in regard to lines :dopey: -

J:
Cutting the chicanes or "shorting" the track at any point is strictly prohibited on all parts of the track, including the asphalt-areas in behind out-of track-lines.

I've added some language after a brief discussion -

J:
Cutting the chicanes or "shorting" the track at any point is strictly prohibited on all parts of the track, including the asphalt-areas in behind out-of track-lines. Track specific boundaries will be clarified in the Race Specifics section of any given event.

Note as well, that while the painted area was used on the pass in question, 2 wheels remained in bounds, so it was a legal maneuver.

I have got to remember that this is ORL,not real.As that is a "no go" at our track.:)
(just can't seem to put down the flags:lol:)

I've completed a random drawing of the racers involved in this round and paired them up accordingly. The pairings are now posted in the event thread -

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111493

And here they are -

Round One:

• GTP_MARSHALL v GTP_uk86ze
  • GTP_xTaggerx v GTP_KARTRACER
  • GTP_Wayne v GTP_TL
  • GTP_Manuelos v GTP_Fuzzy
  • GTP_Diverman v GTP_turbolag
  • GTP_Nuclearfire v GTP_LinPark
  • GTP_SeniorL8R v GTP_J-PaP
  • GTP_PrudentBear v GTP_ErnstJ
  • GTP_ZippyUK v GTP_Racer_LP