Motorcycles in GT6?

• Thread starter mjm23race
  • 1,257 comments
GT4's physics system didn't have the capability of turning off ABS (it affects the physics altogether) and is eight years old compared to what the performance of the physics for GT are now. It's been gone over before in here, and you're right about the tweaking bit. And it's been discussed that it can actually benefit the physics overall if the enhance/tweak the physics to better suit the feel of the physics for motorcycles. IIRC, most people have found Tourist Trophy to be one of the better motorcycle/bike games to date. Obviously, improvements can be made and I made that a point earlier in this post.

The engine certainly isn't perfect in TT. It is quite easy to provoke it into making the bike pull some rather odd shapes in the game and hopefully that can indeed be tweaked out by PD. Seeing that there are only three AI bikes on track with you in racing events, it would seem to be the case that simulating a bike is a bit more demanding. Maybe having a bit more CPU power available in the PS3 will enable a higher level of accuracy as well as more bikes to race against.

Having said that, TT still delivered a very convincing simulation of riding a bike and even if the same old simulation code was reused along with the updated PS3 graphics engine, I think i'd be satisfied. Melbourne House's GP500 is perhaps more accurate, in simulation terms, but I think TT is still the best bike game overall that i've played on any system to date. An updated game from Polyphony is something i'm really looking forward to.

I just wish they'd hurry up with it! We've been waiting long enough. :)

GT4's physics system didn't have the capability of turning off ABS (it affects the physics altogether) and is eight years old compared to what the performance of the physics for GT are now. It's been gone over before in here, and you're right about the tweaking bit. And it's been discussed that it can actually benefit the physics overall if the enhance/tweak the physics to better suit the feel of the physics for motorcycles. IIRC, most people have found Tourist Trophy to be one of the better motorcycle/bike games to date. Obviously, improvements can be made and I made that a point earlier in this post.

And if they did make a new TT, it wouldn't take them a whole lot of time to make it.. motorcycles are easier to model because they're smaller, and they could import tracks from GT. Either this, or PD would add motorcycles through DLC in Gran Turismo. It would be interesting to see them do that. Also, they could combine the two games on the PS4 and have a selection menu where you could choose to either play GT7 or TT2. They'd probably try to make more money though, and make the two games separate.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43990830&postcount=84

...In short, Tourist Trophy was *baby* of 6 people in PD who was working on it in their spare time with available assets and resources from GT4...

The engine certainly isn't perfect in TT. It is quite easy to provoke it into making the bike pull some rather odd shapes in the game and hopefully that can indeed be tweaked out by PD. Seeing that there are only three AI bikes on track with you in racing events, it would seem to be the case that simulating a bike is a bit more demanding. Maybe having a bit more CPU power available in the PS3 will enable a higher level of accuracy as well as more bikes to race against.

Having said that, TT still delivered a very convincing simulation of riding a bike and even if the same old simulation code was reused along with the updated PS3 graphics engine, I think i'd be satisfied. Melbourne House's GP500 is perhaps more accurate, in simulation terms, but I think TT is still the best bike game overall that i've played on any system to date. An updated game from Polyphony is something i'm really looking forward to.

I just wish they'd hurry up with it! We've been waiting long enough. :)
Yea, Kaz said TT was limited in that way. I would think it was since they raised the visual quality with TT over GT4. Plus, the animation of the riders. In the end, I don't see any reason why Kaz has abandoned the idea of having motorcycles in GT. He should know by now that there's demand for it (not just from this thread). I can see a TT2 being ruled out by now though.

And if they did make a new TT, it wouldn't take them a whole lot of time to make it.. motorcycles are easier to model because they're smaller, and they could import tracks from GT. Either this, or PD would add motorcycles through DLC in Gran Turismo. It would be interesting to see them do that. Also, they could combine the two games on the PS4 and have a selection menu where you could choose to either play GT7 or TT2. They'd probably try to make more money though, and make the two games separate.
There's no way of knowing. Like Dirty's mentioned before, GT HD had the combination of cars and bikes and the full game was supposed to be like that.

We asked all of our friends who are known Polyphony and Gran Turismo fans what questions we should ask at our interview, and the most frequently requested question was “Are they going to make another Tourist Trophy game?”

Really?! I would really love to make another one of those. We don't have any actual concrete plans at the moment, though I'm constantly awaiting the day when I can meet Tourist Trophy again. [A pause] Really, I want you to know that I'm very glad people want another Tourist Trophy game. Make sure you let them know I'm very happy they want another one.
I remember someone saying that Kaz wouldn't/doesn't want to do another one. Well, he does.

The fact is, there might be a better chance of us getting motorcycles within a GT game. It's about priorities.

Holy f'n sound! I love how it seems like there's 10+ cars on track with the pitches/reverb doing their symphony of combustion. :) Great vid. 👍

F1 bike FTW love the sound. just imagine that same engine only in a 2-stroke configuration. Insane powerband much?

:|

You knew it was going to be posted, you just knew :D :D

FtdQI.jpg

rfg4c.jpg

The real DRIVING simulator...
1GwQg.jpg

And my personal all-time favourite, imagine why:
pKzbM.jpg

I mean, it says "Gran Turismo" an all logos/watermarks :D

You also drive in golf so this point is redundant...

Yes but golf is mainly playing golf not driving a caddy in the same way GT is about driving cars instead of riding bikes. If PD wanted to include bikes why don't they just bring back tourist trophy?

Wow, I haven't visited this thread on a while! Pretty much gave up on any hopes of GT including any type of 2 wheel vehicles. After a bunch of inquiries to various Sony and PD people offering a relationship with one of the greatest athletes of all time that also just so happens to own a front running superbike team went unanswered. I figured there wasn't too many bigger carrots to dangle in front of them to persuade them to entertain motorcycles.

And if 1 more "genius" says anything about different physics being needed or being called "the real driving simulator" I'll......... Well I'll do nothing, but rest assured there is something messed up with your medulla oblongata Colonel Sanders.

Physics are physics. In the real world cars and bikes behave differently but they both have to obey the laws of physics. Same with game physics, may need some more advanced inputs but both still have to obey the laws of physics. The more advanced the physics engine the more it benefits cars as well!

"Real Driving Simulator" quite easily transitions into "Real Motorsports Simulator". Semantics!

mjm23race
Well I'll do nothing, but rest assured there is something messed up with your medulla oblongata Colonel Sanders.

Wrong, KFC only serves deep-fried cerebral cortex; it's one of the hidden menu items. Goes great with that Doubledown sauce.

You're thinking of Popeye's or Zaxby's.

Gran Turismo Explore Studio? Never heard of that before, and there's little on Google (but my Google-Fu is weak).

Very interesting interview with the studio director:
http://paperhouses.co/contributors/entry/collaboration-hero-takuya-asano-director-of-gran-turismo
Takuya Asano
My job as the director of the Explore Studio is to explore new opportunities for Gran Turismo as a game and as a brand. [While I was at still at Nike] I met with Kazunori Yamauchi, the creator of Gran Turismo, and did a collaboration with them, making a Nike car in the game.

There's a lot of design-specific discussion, how the car industry is big, slow and anonymous (in terms of design), and true innovation doesn't translate very often to a final product etc. Also a bit about licensing.
Takuya Asano
Can I add one thing? Vision Gran Turismo is a new project we came up with this year. You know Gran Turismo was the first video game to incorporate real-time cars, but this year it was our 15th year anniversary so we asked friends in the automotive industry to design their own Gran Turismo.

Auto companies gave us designs that don't exist in the real world. GT is going 2.0, pretty much. You’ll see a lot of automotive logos in the video but you'll also see Nike and Air Jordan brand logos in there as well. This whole concept started with Nike 1 in 2004. It was the first (racing simulation car) that didn't exist in the real world. Then in 2008, Citroen asked us to design a virtual car exclusively for Gran Turismo. Internally, the GT Citroen became so popular internally they made a full-scale concept car. The third one was a Gran Turismo X2010 we designed with a Formula One team, and you know F1 has so many regulations, which is why so many F1 cars look the same. So we wondered, “what if there were no regulations?” Now with Vision Gran Turismo is a whole new thing that started actually… with Nike One. Cars that exist only in the virtual world but in a very realistic way.

That whole interview implies that the project has ultimately been an "organic" evolution from the participants' interests, seeded about ten years ago.

The "studio" itself:
http://yehstudio.com/news/51009-gran-turismo-explore-studio

From Shichisawa-san's LinkedIn profile: "Making the best motorcycle game in the world is my dream."

However, in the context of what Explore Studio does, what Shichisawa went on to do after TT (evolve the "gear" aspect of TT into a bit of cross-marketing for Sony) and what he did before ("movie director" for Sony games, designed the replay system in GT3 etc.), this is probably purely circumstantial evidence as far as "support" for bikes is concerned, at least for the moment, but it's an interesting find all the same!

At least, it's great that someone who did such great work for PD in the past is back there, and it's nice to get a non-gaming aspect into the world of PD / Sony etc.

More evidence to support the inclusion of bikes in GT6?

Tourist Trophy director Takamasa Shichisawa is back working at Polyphony Digital after a stint at SCEE:

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/takamasa-shichisawa/35/957/44a
At least, it's great that someone who did such great work for PD in the past is back there, and it's nice to get a non-gaming aspect into the world of PD / Sony etc.
Nice find and digging, both of you. Perhaps a future TT2 title is no longer an improbability?

happy-day-dreaming-smiley-emoticon.gif

And if 1 more "genius" says anything about different physics being needed or being called "the real driving simulator" I'll......... Well I'll do nothing, but rest assured there is something messed up with your medulla oblongata Colonel Sanders.

Physics are physics. In the real world cars and bikes behave differently but they both have to obey the laws of physics. Same with game physics, may need some more advanced inputs but both still have to obey the laws of physics. The more advanced the physics engine the more it benefits cars as well!

"Real Driving Simulator" quite easily transitions into "Real Motorsports Simulator". Semantics!

But why? Why has to be on GT? If you like bikes so much, why don't you prefer another Tourist Trophy?

It is hilarious to see bikes in Gran Turismo games, since it is the "Real Driving Simulator".

It is even more hilarious that GT has so far never been "the real driving simulator". People should not be paying attention to silly marketing slogans.

But why? Why has to be on GT? If you like bikes so much, why don't you prefer another Tourist Trophy?

For the same reason you don't want to switch between 5 different games to drive all the cars you like. It's convenient to have it all in one thing, especially when they've shown in the past that it's very possible.

Takuya Asano
Can I add one thing? Vision Gran Turismo is a new project we came up with this year. You know Gran Turismo was the first video game to incorporate real-time cars, but this year it was our 15th year anniversary so we asked friends in the automotive industry to design their own Gran Turismo.

Anyone know what he's referring to with this bit? I feel like I'm being a bit dense, but I can't think of any firsts in GT that I would describe as "real-time cars".

Cosbuster
It is even more hilarious that GT has so far never been "the real driving simulator". People should not be paying attention to silly marketing slogans.
I know that, lol. I am not one of those who pay attention to it. Was just saying that the slogan is one reason why it wouldn't include motorcycles in the game. That's why I quoted it, so don't think that I do believe in that slogan or what more.

Back