◆ SNAIL [Pack] Racing - Boost Racing - Where the excitement never ends!

My sincere apologies for my poor driving last night. I just don't know how to drive in close proximity to others. Very sure in the 2nd race of the evening that I caused considerable irritation to the front runners. Have a very hard time anticipating braking points when following someone closely. Decided it was better to leave than continue causing problems for others.
Hey for a bit there the ole Fharts led the race.....take that you young whippersnappers.

Was lots of fun last night, did my best not to bump you guys. Some early brake checks by others was hard to anticipate when coming up to turns so i tried to stay off your bumpers and in blind spot as to not rear end ya. I kinda liked the slower miata race more than the tuned miata. shorter lap times and boost off would be fun imo. good times
Hey Ranger, glad you decided to give the Miata stuff a try last night. Just to clear up a couple of things, I wouldn't say anyone was brake checking, it's just that your not used to the braking with boost on, it really changes when you have to brake,(read early) to avoid hitting the person in front. So what you might have thought was someone braking early was that person braking appropriately to avoid rear ending the guy in front of him.
The whole point of this racing is to allow all levels to race together, hence having weak boost on, the fast guys are still going to win but it keeps us all together to give you more experience racing in a "pack". There was a considerable amount of testing that went into getting this series started to come up with what we have now. It is still in its early days and as Ned has stated there will be some changes yet.
I agree that last night was getting a bit out of hand, especially later on, I was guilty big time of bumping and aggresive driving, but it was the only way to stay with the front runners and I got to the point of ok, if this is the way it's gonna be, then lets go. I realize this is probably the norm for the D1,2 & 3 guys that I was mixing it up with but I don't think its what Ned, Joe and Mike were quite envisioning for the series. I was still chuckling away for most of the night though!

It was fun for sure. Frustrating at times of course, but overall it was a fun night of kinda-sorta clean-ish racing. I did exhibit poor judgement and road rage at times. Definitely not what SNAIL is about, sorry guys. I'm not an amazing driver by any means and this is my first full week back after a long break but I successfully had close and clean races in D2 and D3 for many months without issues. But yeah there were a few times when I felt like I was purposely pushed off-track, and maybe it was retaliation for something that I did earlier, maybe it was an accident, maybe it was my fault, maybe it was their fault, who knows. All I know is that I'm looking forward to clean pack racing in the future!

I have a family function this evening so will have to take a miss this week.

Edit: Oh man, and now I'm going to miss the new format :(

Edit Edit: and now your running at Sierra and Nurb :ouch::(:banghead: Have fun!

Last edited:
Ok here is what the Directors have come up with....the Touring Car is being "Temporarily" retired to the stockyard. Because of its power and grip it allows those of us who are AVERAGE to mix it up with the faster guys. That is exactly what we intended but we had originally feared that the Aliens would take advantage of both their skills and the car to bull their way to the front. The exact opposite happened. The AVERAGE guys got to the lead pack and then, due to being less polished, bulled their way...as in bull in the china shop bulled..into the fray and there was entirely too much contact. The fault was human nature....and the cars capabilities.

By comparison the crowd played much better in the Miata because it did not allow errors to be so easily overcome and we had to be more careful. I do not mean to demean anyone, i had seen the effect of boost in longer courses with lots of straights in more powerful cars before. The guilty bastard is the car's capability combined with the circuit.

In order to keep it interesting, starting tonight, we will run two races, then, change tracks and run another two. As usual we will announce the track @ 30 minutes before the room opens...and we will try to use tracks rarely used in SNAIL.
Cheers and Check 6
Ned

Last edited:
While the first two races (Miata) were great...the increased speed on this circuit and the boost caused major problems for many drivers in the last two,in that they could storm to the front pack and then generally roughhouse their way further forward"... many forgot the major premise of good racing....

Survive the corner in order to contest the next...the next..

This was partially managements fault by tempting some to try and race above their ability due to the boost, rather than "learn" from the Aliens.

As a result we will be making some changes...and I will be reviewing the replay of the last race with an eye to having a personal word with some of you Rock Apes.

It was still great fun but there were too many impacts and way to much "incidental" contact. Rubbing IS NOT. Racing in this league. If some of you had driven the way you did last night in the Sunday Night SNAIL events you would be facing severe penalty.

Nuff Said.
Very disappointed.
Since the Touring car won't be used, what will be used to replace it?
im assuming the regular spec miata thats on the list

Ok here is what the Directors have come up with....the Touring Car is being "Temporarily" retired to the stockyard. Because of its power and grip it allows those of us who are AVERAGE to mix it up with the faster guys. That is exactly what we intended but we had originally feared that the Aliens would take advantage of both their skills and the car to bull their way to the front. The exact opposite happened. The AVERAGE guys got to the lead pack and then, due to being less polished, bulled their way...as in bull in the china shop bulled..into the fray and there was entirely too much contact. The fault was human nature....and the cars capabilities.

By comparison the crowd played much better in the Miata because it did not allow errors to be so easily overcome and we had to be more careful. I do not mean to demean anyone, i had seen the effect of boost in longer courses with lots of straights in more powerful cars before. The guilty bastard is the car's capability combined with the circuit.

In order to keep it interesting, starting tonight, we will run two races, then, change tracks and run another two. As usual we will announce the track @ 30 minutes before the room opens...and we will try to use tracks rarely used in SNAIL.
Cheers and Check 6
Ned
:idea:Devil's Advocate...perhaps with practice in car on track, car control would improve. just a thought.

image.jpg

Nurburgring Nordschleife and Sierra....at little something to get your teeth into.

Room will be up at about 9pm EST. The room will run "Practice/Race" format in an effort to save some time, we will NOT be running qualifying. Qualifying will be based on your best practice time, so try and show up early to get your best lap in at Nurb. Every race after that will be reverse grid based on previous race results.

Tonight we will run:

2 races at Nurburgring Nordschleif: 2 laps each
1 race at Sierra :3 laps

@Nail-27 if you notice anything out of place here, please let me know

Just submitted my Entry Form - hoping to get in on the action tonite. If not will be watching.

Room will be up at about 9pm EST. The room will run "Practice/Race" format in an effort to save some time, we will NOT be running qualifying. Qualifying will be based on your best practice time, so try and show up early to get your best lap in at Nurb. Every race after that will be reverse grid based on previous race results.

Tonight we will run:

2 races at Nurburgring Nordschleif: 2 laps each
1 race at Sierra :3 laps

@Nail-27 if you notice anything out of place here, please let me know

i like this idea

Hey guys, i apologize for lap 1 i was everywhere. Missed practice before race, got about 3 mins into the ring with the car before we started. I slide way past one turn...had to retire due to both connection and mic problems. Room was fun, boost makes it interesting and close. Had many opportunities to pass but did not as people were everywhere and i was trying to race clean.

IMO: shorter tracks would be better so people can follow clean lines...longer courses cause too much unpredictability through each turn...especially when combined divisions.

How did it turn out last night racing at Sierra and Nurb?
Good racing last night. I like the new format. Since you wern't there I hadto glue myself to Nail all night. We seemed to be stuck together for all three races. Thanks again hosts for a fun evening. See you next week.

Results for 03/11/2014

Overall Points

1. ConnorWolf : 49
  2. Hydromatos22 : 41
  3. syntoraz 38
  4. Kgffty : 36
  5. nail-27 : 35
  6. RacingChamp30 : 34
  7. Xrad-11 : 32
  8. lobbanmike : 27
  9. goofytyler1995 : 23
  10. Joe_DiBen : 23
  11. volcomman3 : 15
  12. FBR_STEVE : 14
  13. VTC-16 : 12
  14. nobbymcnoberson : 9
  15. RangerLife : 6

Race 1- Nurburgring
  1. ConnorWolf
  2. Kgffty
  3. syntoraz
  4. Hydromatos22
  5. RacingChamp30
  6. nail-27
  7. goofytyler1995
  8. nobbymcnoberson
  9. lobbanmike
  10. Xrad-11
  11. RangerLife
  12. FBR_STEVE
  13. Joe_DiBen
  14. VTC-16

Race 2 - Nurburgring

1. ConnorWolf
  2. Kgffty
  3. Hydromatos22
  4. RacingChamp30
  5. syntoraz
  6. nail-27
  7. Xrad-11
  8. lobbanmike
  9. Joe_DiBen
  10. volcomman3
  11. goofytyler1995
  12. VTC-16
  13. FBR_STEVE
  14. nobbymcnoberson
  15. RangerLife

Race 3 - Sierra

1. ConnorWolf
  2. Xrad-11
  3. Hydromatos22
  4. nail-27
  5. syntoraz
  6. Joe_DiBen
  7. lobbanmike
  8. RacingChamp30
  9. volcomman3
  10. goofytyler1995
  11. Kgffty
  12. FBR_STEVE
  13. VTC-16
Congratulatioins to @ConnorWolf for the overall win last night! great racing!

Last edited:
I'm going to pull out of the series, I really want to do two events each week, but the two late nights in a row are killing me come Tuesday morning! I'm going to give the Wed night Race Car Series a try, closer to mid-week and they finish no later than 11 est.
I'd like to thank Ned, Mike and Joe for putting together a fun night of racing and I will miss it!
:cheers:
Steve

Track announcement for 10/11/2014

1. Circuit de Madrid - mini
2. Tsukuba Circuit

Room opens at about 9:15 pm est. Qualifying begins at 9:45 pm est.

As always, please remember to bring your best race craft

If we're doing Tsukuba, count me in! Maybe the possibility of using the motorcycle chicane can be put up for debate?

Back