1/64 Model Collectors Thread

• Thread starter SVX
  • 55,431 comments

Do you take your cars out of the blisters?

• Yes.

Votes: 315 50.8%
  • Kinda, I open most of them.

Votes: 127 20.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 90 14.5%
  • Yes and no. I buy a second for opening/customizing.

Votes: 125 20.2%

• Total voters
As far as I know, it's just a made-up model. It is damn sexy though, and it would be amazing if somebody were to do it.

Don't disagree with that, it would quite the sight if it were to be done by a proper car builder in real life. '49 Mercurys are already very good-looking cars without modifications, but a limo of one? Darn, now that would be quite cool...

Yup.

I thought I would check on Walmart today to see what they got, they had mostly cars I've seen before. These 3 though were the only ones I was interested in.
20150325_190824.jpg 20150325_190854.jpg

No Mustang pics, forgot I need batteries for my camera and I'm officially home for the night so not going anywhere to get any until tomorrow.

Aw man, they didn't keep the WSPs.
I know. I really wanted the original orange version. :indiff:

[EDIT]
Another thing. I love the effort they've gone to with the 'Tampo's' on the Esprit, but i'm disappointed they couldn't get the arc of the Tampo to match the wheel arch.. They really need to employ someone who knows what they're doing, when it comes to making the plates, either that or try using different shaped pads.

Last edited:
I know. I really wanted the original orange version. :indiff:

[EDIT]
Another thing. I love the effort they've gone to with the 'Tampo's' on the Esprit, but i'm disappointed they couldn't get the arc of the Tampo to match the wheel arch.. They really need to employ someone who knows what they're doing, when it comes to making the plates, either that or try using different shaped pads.
A different robot?

A different robot?
The etched plates are usually a man made process using machines. It involves 'burning'/'exposing' the image to a plate coated in emulsion.

[EDIT]

Though it's not just down to the quality/accuracy of artwork, in relation to the printed surface (pad to substrate).. A lot of it has to do with set-up, the roll-in application of the actual pad, (how the pad hits the substrate), and the relationship of 'Pad to Cliche' (where the pad picks up the ink).

Essentially done by a robot (Pad printing machine), but fundamentally, set up by a human (maker of the artwork, plates and setting the machine for the finished results). 👍

Last edited:
Considering the amount of them produced each year and what they cost, I wouldn't expect much better.
Yep, they're cheap (in the U.S anyway). But with a bit more care and attention to print set-up, they could be so much better.
I don't mind the odd misprint here and there, it's going to happen, but it costs nothing extra to set up the print properly.

Then again it's really hit or miss on HW tampo application, they are not all the same. Usually when there's a car I want to buy, I'll set all of them aside in the store and then look each one over for the best tampos. I did this recently with the Lambo Huracan to find one where the headlight tampos were centered correctly. I think if there were a few of them there, you might have found one that was better.

Usually when there's a car I want to buy, I'll set all of them aside in the store and then look each one over for the best tampos. I did this recently with the Lambo Huracan to find one where the headlight tampos were centered correctly. I think if there were a few of them there, you might have found one that was better.

Lol, this. Here I am with ten of the same car in hand. And one wonders why people give us a weird stare.

But that front tire being stretched though.

Damn, I didn't even notice that. That was my first and probably only Shelby Collectable. The wheels squeak. The doors are loose. The tyre stretching. I'm just not that impressed.

Also yes, the M2's build quality is starting to get to me as well. That's why I bought the Greenlight. To see first hand their quality. Which I'm alright with, but it's to soon to judge with only handling one example.

Damn, I didn't even notice that. That was my first and probably only Shelby Collectable. The wheels squeak. The doors are loose. The tyre stretching. I'm just not that impressed.

Also yes, the M2's build quality is starting to get to me as well. That's why I bought the Greenlight. To see first hand their quality. Which I'm alright with, but it's to soon to judge with only handling one example.
I've stopped buying M2's, and in fact am getting ready to sell off most of what I have. To be honest, their "Drivers" series cars that do not have opening doors/hood are the best thing they sell. Greenlight is much better, depending on the car. There's a lot of them that are really good, and others that I have no problem passing on. I recommend most of their classic Mustangs ('65-67), but I have noticed that the wheels really are what makes the most difference.

Edit: And M2 says their cars are 1:64, but I don't think that's 100% correct.

Last edited:
Then again it's really hit or miss on HW tampo application, they are not all the same. Usually when there's a car I want to buy, I'll set all of them aside in the store and then look each one over for the best tampos. I did this recently with the Lambo Huracan to find one where the headlight tampos were centered correctly. I think if there were a few of them there, you might have found one that was better.
No. I wouldn't have. The Tampo just doesn't fit the Esprit (even when aligned differently).

I do actually sort through multiples if they're there, in pursuit of a better tampo finish (not new to doing that, at all). With regards to the Esprit in particular (i have one in white too), every one iv'e seen suffers the same flaw. If you can find one that doesn't, i'd appreciate it if you could show me.

I've stopped buying M2's, and in fact am getting ready to sell off most of what I have. To be honest, their "Drivers" series cars that do not have opening doors/hood are the best thing they sell. Greenlight is much better, depending on the car. There's a lot of them that are really good, and others that I have no problem passing on. I recommend most of their classic Mustangs ('65-67), but I have noticed that the wheels really are what makes the most difference.

Two things:

1- how much?

2- With Greenlight is hit and miss. Their 65 Mustang, and specially 1970 Cuda, specially this last one, is utterly impossibly perfect. Their 60s Corvettes are horrible. The problem with them is the tires, they are not in scale, they are a standard size and that shows, specially in their whidth. With M2 you have correct-sized tires, pencil-thin in 50s cars and stock muscle cars, wide rubber when they'ree hot rods and stuff. Greenlight doesn't do that, sadly.

Oh and btw! Speaking of Greenlight, they'll be available here in Mexico via Wal Mart group in the next couple of months. Thrilled to say the least. My wallet isn't

I consider this all a lesrning experience. When I first, as you guys may remember, I was all about Hotwheels. Then that got a little played out. Then it was onto M2s. Now, I'm on to Autoworlds and Greenlighs. I guess it's not too far down the road that I move into TLVs and Kyoshos.

I still like the random HWs. I also agree that the Drivers do look the best. Don't get me wrong, I do have a few of the more expensive M2s that are cherry, and I'll continue to buy them if I find one. But the majority have at least one problem with the car. Also, I do believe that they are 1:60, or something to that effect.

The Greenlight, which was a gift from my cousin, and it seems to the cat's meow. I'm desperately wanting the Blues Brothers can set I saw the other day.

Ugh, I just to find my own niche.

With Greenlight is hit and miss. Their 65 Mustang, and specially 1970 Cuda, specially this last one, is utterly impossibly perfect. Their 60s Corvettes are horrible. The problem with them is the tires, they are not in scale, they are a standard size and that shows, specially in their whidth. With M2 you have correct-sized tires, pencil-thin in 50s cars and stock muscle cars, wide rubber when they'ree hot rods and stuff. Greenlight doesn't do that, sadly.
The Cuda's lately have been great - if you look at them directly from the side. At an angle you can see the tires that are too wide and that just throws the whole thing off. I've eyeballed some on eBay recently, but then I see the super wide tires and decide to pass. Seen all the Corvettes, they are horrible. I do agree on the tires, and M2 does a good job at proportions, but the fact they rarely fit the wheels correctly is a huge negative mark on their quality.

On the ´Cudas the problem isn't as evident as in other cars, mainly because they're a bit larger than they should be so the tires don't look like balloons as they do in the Vettes. But yes, they are still too wide for them.

Back