10/20/2007 Demo

• Thread starter M5_dude
  • 897 comments
Been away for a while & trying to get caught up on the latest:

In spite of the furious "discussion" here about sound, I have to admit to being relatively unconcerned about it, as I find the sound pretty good (even if not "realistic") in GT4 - especially the relative positioning & volume of the cars (which is terrible in Forza).

My major concern is physics & AI. What is the consensus (I use the term somewhat ironically ;)) about this with regard to the demo?

(Incidentally, following up on a discussion about this recently, in which TenaciousD claimed that AI cars in GT4 would sometimes manoever around a parked car, I systematically tested this by stopping my car in the racing line in the middle of a straight-away, on a variety of tracks & found in every single case, without exception, the AI cars would slam into my stopped car.)

(Incidentally, following up on a discussion about this recently, in which TenaciousD claimed that AI cars in GT4 would sometimes manoever around a parked car, I systematically tested this by stopping my car in the racing line in the middle of a straight-away, on a variety of tracks & found in every single case, without exception, the AI cars would slam into my stopped car.)
I've to agree on that.

And the weight shifting of the cars when skidding is not realistic as well, just like the previous GT games.

I wish that PD did something about the "turn radius" of the cars. Every single car has the same turn radius.

Pretty funny people have been flaming me for complaining about the game being too dark and everyone of those photos is terribly dark and over exposed. But hey, must just be my tv :)

Actually i think it is your TV, the game is much brighter on my TV. This is a PCTV with low resolution and darker setting, as you can see the resolution of the ímages is bad too.

Pretty funny people have been flaming me for complaining about the game being too dark and everyone of those photos is terribly dark and over exposed. But hey, must just be my tv :)

It's not just your TV, believe me. But it is not a demo problem, since many people have a perfectly balanced image.

Anyway, it's either "terribly dark" OR "overexposed", you can't have both at the same time...

Anyway, it's either "terribly dark" OR "overexposed", you can't have both at the same time...

Well, you sort of could: too much contrast could make it both too dark in the dark areas & too light in the light areas...

Couldn't agree more, that's how overcontrasted images look like.

My point was that an image can't be "terribly dark" and "overexposed" at the same time, nothing but that.

Great post kekke! You may want to seriously consider making that post its own thread, as others may find that to be a useful reference, as well as a place for others to post their own thoughts on how these cars feel/handle for them. 👍

Regardless, +REP for the great post!

UMMM....Making it into its own thread of how understeer can be cured by adding more throttle? or using e-brake in mid corner to help turn in? :ouch:

Yeah and I even read some other ways to 'cure' understeer. ;)
:)

BTW: Rocket Punch, Kekke did make a specific thread for those wishing to discuss the driving characteristics of the demo cars:
So if you have an opinion on that, especially if it is different then others, and have your own recommendations on getting the most out of these cars, you may want to consider posting in that thread instead.

It appears you completely overlooked the ";)" at the end of that line you quoted from me... and thus clearly overlooked the fact that it was sarcastic...
Sorry - my entire post was dripping with sarcasm. I'd be thrilled to have a pair of Nautilus spkrs in my hi-fi setup. And I agree that YouTube is probably the worst place to go for reference audio of any sort due to compression and the variations in equipment used to capture the input sources. :)

There is actually a series of professionally made recordings of various engines - from everyday road cars up to several different F1 cars - that could be used to critique the GT engine notes. This would probably only work for the classic models since I doubt the CD collection has been updated in some time.

One thing I've discovered w/regard to sound is to double-check your audio settings on the PS3. Mine were set to output all kinds of PCM modes, some of which did not agree with my receiver. I actually got rid of PCM altogether (where I could - some could not be turned off) and now get GT sound in Dolby Digital (5.1). Seems much more consistent that way in terms of positioning, and the sound is quite good given that this is a demo. I'll be extremely disappointed if the same 'ol tire squeal remains in the final version of the game... a Fiat Punto should not have the same squeals as a F430 due to the tire sizes and compounds being different. For the record, I'm running everything via HDMI through a Harman Kardon AVR347, which drives a set of Boston Acoustics satellites and a JBL HT sub. Not quite audiophile quality, but better than a $300 HTIB from Wal-Mart.

I've got a problem with this demo, I just got my ps3 yesterday, but everytime I play it it just is all black and white, no colors what so ever, this only happens with this game, not with gt hd, anyone got an idea how to solve this problem>?

If you do a search in this thread and in this GT5 forum you'll find this has to do with the fact that the demo when outputting in standard def uses NTSC video standards. If you are using a standard def PAL TV that doesn't support NTSC video, then you'll lose all color input.

Either use a HD display, or a standard def TV that supports NTSC. Personally speaking, I'd go for an HD display as it looks so much better in HD! 👍

yeah, but I just used the money I had to buy a ps 3, buying a new tv is not an option at the moment, but thanks for the tip.

Its a bit of a pain that, most standard TV's in europe run at 50Hz, since the demo runs at 60Hz, it is balck and white. I think it is likely that Prologue may give you the choice between 50 or 60Hz as I know some games do. But if you don't have the choice then it will be a shame. HDTV's are expensive, but (don't hold me to this), I am think it runs on TV's that run at 60Hz, I will check it later, if so you may be able to find much cheaper TV's that can run it, without shelling out loads for HD.

I'm not sure but could it be possible that Daytona and Fuiji will be unlocked after a certain time?

Its a bit of a pain that, most standard TV's in europe run at 50Hz, since the demo runs at 60Hz, it is balck and white. I think it is likely that Prologue may give you the choice between 50 or 60Hz as I know some games do. But if you don't have the choice then it will be a shame. HDTV's are expensive, but (don't hold me to this), I am think it runs on TV's that run at 60Hz, I will check it later, if so you may be able to find much cheaper TV's that can run it, without shelling out loads for HD.

Are you complaining about why a demo intended for Japanese only does not work with a PAL TV? or are you just complaining?

Ever heard of a VGA box?

Are you complaining about why a demo intended for Japanese only doesn't not work with a PAL TV? or are you complaining?

Ever heard of a VGA box?

Err, please point out the bit where I am complaining. I am infact replying to a question about the balck and white, I am not slating the game because I can't see it the way it should. I in fact do have a screen which functions perfectly, I am suggesting idea's as too this persons question.

Please read my post and the post I was replying to properly.

I have do not need a VGA box, but thanks for asking.:dunce:

I think that the 40Gb model (unlike the 60Gb one) no longer supports PS2 games – just in case that is important to you...

That would be correct. The 80gb is software emulation and the 60gb is hardware supported.

G.T
Not all 60GB models are hardware supported - only the earlier ones. The later ones are software emulation (due to cost cutting).
I think that depends on what region you are in. Europe got 60gb software when the US dropped the 60gb and got the 80gb with software.

So, if you are in the states a 60gb will be hardware.

At least that is how I understood it. I am sure DN will correct us all in a few minutes.

I think that depends on what region you are in. Europe got 60gb software when the US dropped the 60gb and got the 80gb with software.

So, if you are in the states a 60gb will be hardware.

At least that is how I understood it. I am sure DN will correct us all in a few minutes.
Yeah, I think that's the case. PAL users never got hardware support. I forgot the 80GB model was introduced to America quite some time before us, and that's what has the software emulation.

Sorry .. I tend to forget about the guys across the pond sometimes ...

Latest Posts

Back