2008 Launch Thread

• Thread starter Lee
  • 458 comments
Bee
Thats.... New. Intresting, however I'm starting to become scared that we'll see bridges over everything soon, I wonder how long it will take for someone to perhaps think of a bridge that runs from the front wing, over the wheel and connecting at the sidepod..

Illegal.

Wasn't there supposed to be a new cockpit design for this year after what happened with Coulthard and Wurz in Melbourne? Doesn't look any different.

Wasn't there supposed to be a new cockpit design for this year after what happened with Coulthard and Wurz in Melbourne? Doesn't look any different.

The head protection around the sides of the cockpits is much higher now. The irony is that it won’t actually do anything to help the driver in a situation like Melbourne last year, but it does help in a similar situation if the car hits more 'square-on' with the side of the drivers head.

Now they probably won't break their neck.

some quick shots of the RB4

90421.jpg

90419.jpg

90416.jpg

90413.jpg

What happened to mclarens over the top of the front wing thing, that silver piece which went over the merc badge and that you can see on the new red bull car... why did they get rid of it?

Robin

Here some more of the cars during testing, just some pics before they get officially released...

Force India

68601395ga4.png

Toro Rosso

98830256nl5.png

Super Aguri

78469434ve9.png

Renault

48216335gk4.png

I think these cars are pretty much final though...

Robin

What happened to mclarens over the top of the front wing thing, that silver piece which went over the merc badge and that you can see on the new red bull car... why did they get rid of it?

Robin

They have used it in testing, they just took it off for the launch. Presumably so the car looked cleaner and easier for the photographers to get nice shots of the sponsors’ logos on the front-wing.

Here some more of the cars during testing, just some pics before they get officially released...

I think these cars are pretty much final though...

Robin

Those are all last years cars, except for Super Aguri who are using Honda’s car from last year.

Once again, I am the side-mirrors prophet! :D

And, my god, Super Aguri are using last year's Honda? :scared:

They have used it in testing, they just took it off for the launch. Presumably so the car looked cleaner and easier for the photographers to get nice shots of the sponsors’ logos on the front-wing.

Oh right, makes sense because with it on you don't get a nice shot of the merc badge and the nose.

Those are all last years cars, except for Super Aguri who are using Honda’s car from last year.

I was sure they were this years models because of the high up side head protection things.... that year they didn't have such high sides did they? If they are sorry! Surely Super Aguri ain't going to what last years Honda car! :yuck:

Robin

Yes they are a hybrid of the '07 cars to confine within the '08 regulations. I.E. Standard ECU, Higher Cockpit Walls, No TC, etc etc..

Pretty impressive what Alonso achieved in his first day back, beating both '08 Ferraris and McLarens with the '07 Renault... On his first day back.

That makes about as much sense as trying to clean a toilet with a tooth brush!

You dont clean the toilet with a tooth brush?

Back on topic, from the looks of it the launch of the Red Bull car wasn't a high profile & classy event as I expected it would be.

I think ive feel in love with the BMW :drool:

Dear lord, Super Aguri had better hope Honda did some post season development on that car, or they've no hope this year. Perhaps they're keeping a few RA106's just in case. :lol:

Ah, from the Wiki:

It has been reported that the team expect to use an interim version of the SA07 at the start of the 2008 season, rather than the uncompetitive RA107.

That's probably for the best.

Bee
Pretty impressive what Alonso achieved in his first day back, beating both '08 Ferraris and McLarens with the '07 Renault... On his first day back.

Not really. We all know that car is not a race winner and the only way Alonso would get a time like that is on low fuel runs.

Bee
Yeah but surely the others must have had a quick low fuel stint too?

What’s the point? Any of the new cars will generally be on reasonably heavy fuel loads because they’re trying to learn how the cars behave, and mostly the cars will be racing with fairly high levels of fuel.

Simulating qualifying is usually pretty pointless, especially so early in the development cycle. We’ve got 8 weeks until the next qualifying session. :P

Latest Posts

Back