2008 Launch Thread

• Thread starter Lee
  • 458 comments
The data-antennas? I asked about those at the previous Jerez tests, they're not part of the full race-package - just data-transmitters.

Regarding mirrors: I saw mentions of a camera-mirror idea somewhere. How reasonable is that? Adding a rear camera to the cluster on top won't be hard, and a small monitor in the cockpit would be infinitely more useful than a mirror - and aerodynamically superior...

Tells how much teams care about their drivers having it easier.
"Hmm... putting the mirrors behind the front tyres gives great aerodynamical advantages"
"But sir, the driver can't see anything from them if they are to the far sides of them..."
"Silence! We need to go faster! Move the mirrors!"

"With the better aerodynamics, no one will be able to catch us! We won't need to see whats coming up behind/beside us!"

the BMW F1.08 is beautiful , still waiting for pics to surface as they are having a photo session as I'm typing this

Looks very good indeed, apart from the front wing, am I the only one to see a nearly exact version as the TF108? These cars really look the same, everyone with the same styled chimney, the rim covers...

I love the front wing though, looks very fast 👍

90215.jpg

90204.jpg

90194.jpg

90210.jpg

90195.jpg

90198.jpg

Agreed:tup: Their revised winglets (viking horns) are also very sexy. This has to be one of the best if not "the" best lookin car on the grid this year

I've never really fancied them, they always destroyed the looks on the earlier Mclarens IMO...

BMW looks great. I just wonder how they'll perform this year. Hopefully this year will be more of a 3-way (Dare I say 5?) battle.

Uh...wow. I think the team took some of Bangle's flame surfacing and extrapolated it to three dimensions.

A big 👍 for BMW-Sauber! :dunce: That is, can't believe I'm gonna say this, so far the best looking of the 2008 cars. Even in my Ferrari-trained eye it looks unbelieveably hot. The front wing is quite, erm, radical, in a word. And oops, what do my eyes see? More of those Ferrari-style wheel caps :dopey: Also I have to say something about those wicked side pods. I mean, look at the shapes! That is what (along with the front wing) I call unique! Looking impressive so far.

The beemer looks bad ass! :crazy:

Real great effort from them, I think its because they can smell championship points a plenty after last years stellar drives!

Someone really wants the walrus front wing back and this was the compromise! :lol: The nose looks similar to last year Mclaren, not that thats a bad thing!

They could have been a tad more inventive with the paint scheme though!

Robin

Major 👍 to BMW for streaming the launch live online! That is what F1 needs to keep the fans happy. Loved it, well done. :)

As for the car, well it obviously looks amazing. That front wing is killer, and the sidepods are so very very tiny. Good aero detail on the back, too. I want to see this car win. It is just so… :drool:

The side view reinforces that "Flame surfacing into 3-D" I was talking about. Bangle should design open wheelers.

The side view reinforces that "Flame surfacing into 3-D" I was talking about. Bangle should design open wheelers.

No. Whoever designed the F1.08 needs to design their regular cars.

46075_2.jpg

look at the tips of on those horn things, they are curved slightly attention to detail seems they want to sqweez every inch of performance out of the car , I really hope its as good on track as it looks

Thats.... New. Intresting, however I'm starting to become scared that we'll see bridges over everything soon, I wonder how long it will take for someone to perhaps think of a bridge that runs from the front wing, over the wheel and connecting at the sidepod..

Back