2011 Formula 1 British Grand Prix

• Thread starter Peter.
  • 833 comments
According to this, Ricciardo struggled with the blue flags and admits he still has much to learn. Time will tell on this one.

Because he is an arrogant selfish git who whines a lot.

:confused::confused:

Famine's Maldonado joke reminded me of something that happened the other day. I was at Friday practice for the Toronto Indy. After the session, the announcer mentioned there was an autograph tent and said.

"Where else can you meet 10 of the best drivers in the world?"

I shouted "Silverstone". Got a few laughs, but a lot of confused looks from Indycar fans.

I love how Alonso drove a damn good race and was on top form, but apparently his win is only because of a wheelnut. Or the blow diffusers, whatever 'factor' people care to arbitrarily jump on. Haters gonna hate...

Very exciting race, nice to see Fernando back on the top step of the podium.

Highlight of the weekend for me had to be Alonso aggressively driving the 1951 Ferrari 375 F1 car around the track just before the race. You don't see it in this video below as unfortunately they cut to an interview but he was actually power sliding the priceless old car out of Stowe corner. 👍

It kinda annoys me to see old cars been driving so pathetically slowly on demo laps so when you see them get driven properly again like at Goodwood or Alonso today I really appreciate it.

Alonso doesn't seem to be a very likable guy. What he is though is a brilliant and complete racing driver who very seldom makes any mistakes and with an almost uncanny ability to always get the best out of the material at hand. There is no one to touch him when it comes to the latter on the grid today. Anyone can drive fast in a good car but it takes real talent to get the absolute maximum out of a barge.

Am I missing something?

Yes you are, just open your eyes and recognize how many crashes Lewis did this year and his whole career and how many times he didn't get penalized even if he was well beyond the rules. People, expecially british people should stop spreading BS on other drivers like Kobayashi and think about their own Nascar / Destruction Derby superstar Luigino Hamilton and his crashes.

Here's a live version of the last one and a half laps. (Sorry for the quality, but at least it wasn't recorded on a TV)

Does he, really? What are they going to do, fire him for winning a race he has every right to?

Yes. That's why Rubens had to as well, and Massa. Ferrari could've rid of them in an instant for someone else.

Because he is an arrogant selfish git who whines a lot.

Only driver out of the top five who doesn't whine (much) is Button, which is why I tend to root for the guy.

Re Alonso, he has no shortage of detractors thanks to 2007 and other matters. But I tend to compare him to Larry Bird, the American basketball player from back in the 1980s. Bird wasn't necessarily likeable -- and given that he played for Boston and back in that era I rooted for Los Angeles, there's no question I had the guy fitted for a black hat. But there was also no question he was capable of beating your favorite team in any number of ways, most but not all of them legal. Ultimately he was the guy you most feared, and hence respected. Alonso, same thing.

Re comments I've seen elsewhere in the thread about Ferrari slowing Massa down, I have to chuckle -- seems like Massa doesn't need help in that regard. Trying to slow him up is like tying a ball and chain to a turtle: cruel to the turtle and, as it happens, unnecessary.

Alonso doesn't seem to be a very likable guy. What he is though is a brilliant and complete racing driver who very seldom makes any mistakes and with an almost uncanny ability to always get the best out of the material at hand. There is no one to touch him when it comes to the latter on the grid today. Anyone can drive fast in a good car but it takes real talent to get the absolute maximum out of a barge.

Truth. I can't stand him as a human being but if I was a team boss, he's the first driver I'd sign up.

I love how Alonso drove a damn good race and was on top form, but apparently his win is only because of a wheelnut. Or the blow diffusers, whatever 'factor' people care to arbitrarily jump on. Haters gonna hate...

Eh? Not the impression I've been getting. Alonso was undoubtedly driving very well and deserved the win, but qualifying for sure was a good indication of how much the blown diffuser ban affected some teams more than others (Renault especially).

And wheelnut or not Button wouldn't have won, but he could well have got a podium considering his pace.

Eh? Not the impression I've been getting. Alonso was undoubtedly driving very well and deserved the win, but qualifying for sure was a good indication of how much the blown diffuser ban affected some teams more than others (Renault especially).

And wheelnut or not Button wouldn't have won, but he could well have got a podium considering his pace.

I think he was referring to Vettel's wheelnut in the stop that cost him the lead.

Yes. That's why Rubens had to as well, and Massa. Ferrari could've rid of them in an instant for someone else.

Well I sure am glad I'm not an F1 driver. No way in hell am I lying down for someone else to win the title when I'm more than capable of doing it myself.

Team work my ass. That's not team work.

Only driver out of the top five who doesn't whine (much) is Button, which is why I tend to root for the guy.

It was kind of funny how calm and even-keeled Button was after the pit crew released him without a wheel nut. All he said on the radio was "right front wheel nut wasn't on, guys". I know if that would've been me, what I would've said would NOT have been suitable for young viewers. 🤬

It was kind of funny how calm and even-keeled Button was after the pit crew released him without a wheel nut. All he said on the radio was "right front wheel nut wasn't on, guys". I know if that would've been me, what I would've said would NOT have been suitable for young viewers. 🤬

Actually, he said "left front," so yeah, it did get to him. But like you I would've turned the airwaves blue if it'd happened to me. :cool:

Well I sure am glad I'm not an F1 driver. No way in hell am I lying down for someone else to win the title when I'm more than capable of doing it myself.

Ridiculous how RB trolls where claiming to be the good guys, no team work, no team orders.. they just "mantain the gap". :rolleyes:

You're not seeing the full picture. Red Bull want Vettel to be and remain as comfortable in the WDC as possible. Those 3 points could come back and haunt him, you never know. How many points did Vettel win the title by last year? 4 points. Four.

A driver is part of the entire team. At this point in time, we're at half season, and Red Bull's rivals have caught up. They need whatever advantage they can find in the points to stay ahead. And, what if Webber and Vettel collided? 33 points, gone into thin air.

Peter.
You're not seeing the full picture. Red Bull want Vettel to be and remain as comfortable in the WDC as possible. Those 3 points could come back and haunt him, you never know. How many points did Vettel win the title by last year? 4 points. Four.

A driver is part of the entire team. At this point in time, we're at half season, and Red Bull's rivals have caught up. They need whatever advantage they can find in the points to stay ahead. And, what if Webber and Vettel collided? 33 points, gone into thin air.

Well said. I think someone said Lewis would have been champion last season had his tire not given up the ghost at barcelona. Every point matters. It might have been different at the start of the race, but two laps from the end, whilst staring at a good points haul is too risky.

This. Red Bull don't want to risk.it? Why risk it? And Vettel is probably going to win this championship anyway so there is no point in Webber passing him, it could cause a crash will make them both loose championship points and McLaren Will be closer to Red Bull in the constructors championship. And even if Webber passes Vettel without a crash, he probably isn't going to win the championship so I think It's right for to let Vettel get as much points as possible because he is the guy that can win this Championship and they need to make sure he gets as much points as possible in every race to maximise his chance of winning the championship.

Did Vettel have as huge of a points lead as he does now at any point throughout last season? No. In fact, I think he only lead the entire season once; when he won. If he loses at this point then something has gone terribly wrong. Had whatever problems not occurred that lost him positions he likely would have won today as well. I think Bob said something like Vettel could DNF for the next few races and still be in the lead.

So, what picture aren't I seeing exactly?

Sebastian Vettel is 80 points ahead of Mark Webber.

EDIT: Red Bull is 110 points ahead of McLaren-Mercedes in the constructors championship.

Last edited:
Sebastian Vettel is 80 points ahead of Mark Webber.

EDIT: Red Bull is 110 points ahead of McLaren-Mercedes in the constructors championship.

Yes, 80 points away from another RB driver. How about everyone else?

Don't misunderstand me here, I'm all for teamwork but not when it involves being told to back off to save face. A face that at this point doesn't need any saving whatsoever.

According to this, Ricciardo struggled with the blue flags and admits he still has much to learn. Time will tell on this one.

Wasn't he the one that Swerved to Block Mark on the straight .?

Issue arising How many Unsafe releases did we see Today.

Whats with the wheel nuts :D

tumblr_lo50295EVm1qbb5xmo1_500.jpg

Back