2012 European Grand Prix

• Thread starter Matty
  • 953 comments
http://[domain blocked due to malware]/instances/400x/22458371.jpg

Had to.

👍 That's what I was going for :D

Ok. I find it funny though that I never see you interfering when someone assumes I would think different of the situation when Vettel is involved. But good, I will follow your advice.

Also, I made absolutely legit points. Try not to downplay that, that is unfair.

You were making some valid points, but alongside accusations of bias.

If a person's argument is based on their own personal bias you should form an argument that shows how their bias is mis-placed without actually mentioning it - if that makes sense.

Ok. I find it funny though that I never see you interfering when someone assumes I would think different of the situation when Vettel is involved. But good, I will follow your advice.

Also, I made absolutely legit points. Try not to downplay that, that is unfair.

You cannot possibly complain that your points are not being taken seriously or that people are assuming a Vettel bias (due to your nationality) when you kick off procedings by saying anyone who disagrees with you has a Hamilton bias (due to their nationality). That'd be like... complaining that the cops shoot back at you.

Perhaps if you enter a discussion sensibly you'll be treated sensibly in return.

Indeed, he only lost control when the floor was on the kerb, losing both drive and steering when his tyres weren't in contact with the ground. I'm not entirely sure he dabbed the brakes, but if he did it only goes to show that he didn't intend to plow the car into Hamilton as some users have suggested. Both of the images from the post I quoted were before Maldonado lost full control of the car.

What happens to Maldonado's car after the two images is irrelevant though, they show his intent of turning back onto the track regardless of who was next to him - even if he had managed to turn the car quickly enough to miss the curb he still would have clipped Hamilton's rear. IMO it isn't Maldonado being vindictive towards Hamilton or using his car as a weapon, but him reacting a tad too instinctively to going off track. He was probably hoping that Hamilton cleared him before he rejoined the track.

It's fun to see a daft mistake from a guy with no history of it that resulted in two punctures being punished with gridslots, but a psychotic move that resulted in another guy getting airborne from a guy who's already received two penalties in two years for deliberately smashing into other cars is punished with a 20s race penalty.

Mental. Which was the more dangerous offence and who is the more dangerous driver?

Speaking of fairness. Hamilton got disqualified for not returning to the pits after qualifying in Barcelona, Alonso didn't return to the pits after the race today and nothing?

I am of course presuming that they test fuel after the race as well, and not just qualy? You know, the bit that gives points.

20s penalty is insane, though.

On the other hand. Check out that Podium!!!!

Alonso-Raikkonen-Schumacher!!

Arguably 3 of the best 5 or 6 drivers of the 2000's

Good job Alonso, you deserve it. Concerning the Hamilton-Maldonardo incident, Hamilton will most likely blame Maldonardo for it.

Good job Alonso, you deserve it. Concerning the Hamilton-Maldonardo incident, Hamilton will most likely blame Maldonardo for it.

3633-you-dont-say.jpg

Just saw the Hamilton-Maldonado incident And it's Pastor's fault. Sure Hamilton used all of the track, but how is that different from Rosberg in Bahrain? Maldonado should have taken the run-off area instead of spearing into Hamilton. It seemed intentional and out of anger of Hamilton squeezing him off the track. Hamilton didn't take Rosberg out of the race in Bahrain.

I will also point out the amount of time Hamilton lost in the pits. If he had a clean pit stop he would have been leading the race and when his tire fell off the cliff he would have been racing Kimi and not Pastor.

Hamilton hasn't. He said "that's just racing."

However, the rest of the world has. Except Maldonado, who blamed Hamilton for driving "too aggressive".

Speaking of fairness. Hamilton got disqualified for not returning to the pits after qualifying in Barcelona, Alonso didn't return to the pits after the race today and nothing?

I am of course presuming that they test fuel after the race as well, and not just qualy? You know, the bit that gives points.

Different rules for quali and the race.

Stewards (fake) announcement:

Speaker: "driver for car 19 will get a 10 place penal..."
Voice in the back: "pssst, it's 18, Maldonado"
Speaker: "I'm sorry, car 18. Car 18 will get 20s penalty"

That was by far the most exciting race to ever be held at Valencia. I would have never put my money on an Alonso win, or a Schumacher podium. Amazing stuff. First I thought it was Vettel's race to win, then he surprises all of us with the retirement. Then Alonso slithers past Grosjean and pulls out a gap that probably would have been closed back down when his tyres went away. Then Grosjean retires! And lastly, Maldonado and Hamilton have their collision, which paves the way for a Schumacher podium, at last.

Disappointing race for Senna, though he did bring home a point. Was set to score some decent points today if it wasn't for the collision and the drive thru penalty.

What happens to Maldonado's car after the two images is irrelevant though, they show his intent of turning back onto the track regardless of who was next to him - even if he had managed to turn the car quickly enough to miss the curb he still would have clipped Hamilton's rear. IMO it isn't Maldonado being vindictive towards Hamilton or using his car as a weapon, but him reacting a tad too instinctively to going off track. He was probably hoping that Hamilton cleared him before he rejoined the track.

Or perhaps he was hoping that Hamilton would give him space?

Had Maldonado not left the track would Hamilton have given space? If not, whos fault would it have been? Was Maldonado fully aware that he was off-track?

All points considered, Maldonado was at fault and was penalised. But he might have considered himself to still be on-track and that Hamilton cut across him. I'm just trying to look at it in Maldonado's shoes, he will have felt that Hamilton cut across for the apex on the left before he had a chance to get the car turned. The penalty was given based on the fact that Maldonado left the track and didn't return safely. But he wouldn't have been off the track had he not been pushed/had to avoid a collision, and he would've returned safely had Hamilton given room enough to turn into the corner.

Hamilton pushed him off the track, which is considered ok in the rules as he had the inside line. Maldonado's reaction was not the correct one, but he never intended to hit Hamilton, he intended to come back on track alongside him.

I think there needs to be a clarification, because at the moment drivers are allowed to squeeze other drivers off the track in some situations, but not others.

I had a look at the video of the Hamilton/Maldonado crash. I think Hamilton should have given him room. Now this may sound stupid but, Maldonado gave Hamilton room in the hairpin and Hamilton knew Maldonado would be on his inside into that turn, so he should have thought that Maldonado would have tried the inside line through there.

I know Maldonado was off the track but IIRC Hamilton ran him wide, so that he was off the track.

I used to be annoyed by Alonso but to see the kind of emotion on his face is great too see. I'm starting to root for him more now.

yeah, same here! 👍

I disliked Alonso a lot and Hamilton a bit, and now they are amongst my favorites.

Cause drivers evolve and so should your opinion. Good for you.

The only problem in here are people who choose sides and try to make this a hater/fanboy battle.

Back