2012 Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix

• Thread starter joetoml1n
  • 933 comments
Race was soo boring, better things to do in this weather! and then it rained right after the race... damn!

Some of the other top teams are complaining that the floor of the Red Bull is illegal because of a hole in it at the front of the rear wheel. If the teams protest and its found to be illegal they will probably be thrown out of the race.

It would be a gray area, it won't be a written rule but it will be something that if it is not added next year to the rule book others will do it like the double diffuser or that little trick RBR did last year to make Vettle so fast by blowing exhaust on the rear tires.

They are complaining cause they didn't think of it first.

Not many overtaking but what do I care much when they were racing so close?

Let's forget about the top drivers for a moment and I guess the driver who worked really hard and probably had his hardest race ever was the one who finished in 13th which is Kovalainen. Seriously, I didn't expect Caterham to be up that high especially in one of the hardest race of the season. Shame that towards the end, kind of a disaster but outstanding effort by Kovalainen.

Also, a good race by Massa. He really was up there until the end, I don't know whether the tyres were getting away from him but definitely nice to see him with those guys up there.

They are complaining cause they didn't think of it first.

Not necessarily Sauber have a similar thing but it is not an enclosed hole and no one is complaining about that.

Last edited:
So, anyone got an idea about where Mclarens pace has seemingly gone?

I really think it wasn't because McLaren has lost their pace because Hamilton was up there putting pressure on Vettel pretty much every single lap. But what has happened to Button though? Another terrible race!

:lol: Meanwhile BBC has had no video feed for about 5 minutes.

Interviewing Bob Mckenzie and he is a massive drip.

Does anyone know anything about the Kovalainen and Perez investigation?

Not yet.
But i would go mad if steward decide to penalty either of the drivers.

Both of them get the job done by staying out of the way of the top 6 runner and race normally.

I think it was just racing incident. Perez was committed to take the position away but Kovalainen out-brake himself, though entitled to defend his position and that Perez had nowhere else to go other than go to the run-off area and spun the car around.

The one at the chicane, well, I think Perez took the position away by shortcutting the chicane. Perez was marginally ahead of Kovalainen but then he cut the chicane and got away with it. That needs a look I suppose.

Any update on Webber's car in regards to post race inspection. Bob Varsha mentioned after the race that the FIA wanted a peak at it as they suspected something was up. They didn't elaborate to much on it.

No, I didn't see that on the TV. What did I know, later, was Kovalainen get into the pit to change his dangling front wing.

If the incident really happen then Perez(if Perez didn't gave back the position) probably gets a penalty or reprimand for that. Though reprimand should be enough. He didn't gets a point though Heikki could finish up as high until 11th.

If the incident really happen then Perez probably gets a penalty or reprimand for that. Though reprimand should be enough. He didn't gets a point though Heikki could finish up as high until 11th.

And guess what, if both the Red Bull cars are deemed to be illegal and disqualified from the race result, Kovalainen might be scoring a point this time!

And guess what, if both the Red Bull cars are deemed to be illegal and disqualified from the race result, Kovalainen might be scoring a point this time!

Aih...that's a good and a bad news for me either way. Darn it. :scared:

I completely forgot about Kovalainen, I feel he did a great job defending his position. Maybe a bit too much but nothing that deserves a penalty. Button spinning out was a bit of a mistake on both sides, the Mclaren was too far back for Heikki to judge properly.

Button spinning out was a bit of a mistake on both sides, the Mclaren was too far back for Heikki to judge properly.
Yes indeed but the investigation is for the incident between Perez and him.
So the other incident with Button is clean. :D

Yeah, i was just wondering why they didn't show it in TV

Probably none of the camera caught the incident as they were concentrating on what happened to Grosjean and any cars nearby. Not sure about the on-board footage though...

The only moment when I thought they made a huge contact was when De La Rosa came back to the pit with a fallen rear wing and only Maldonado on the track that time with a heavy front wing damage. Who else then if not Maldonado?

T obe fair to Schumacher, starting 6th after the penalty, he really wasn't looking like a win anyway. At best, a podium finish if it remained dry, and it did. However, he found himself caught out by Grosjean tangling with the Ferraris, found himself 8th by turn 1, and lost half a year behind Raikkonen.

He probably could have taken the victory had he started from pole, because Rosberg in 2nd was sowing very solid pace, and kept up with Webber all race.

Still, good race for Webber, Alonso and Massa. Vettel did a great job on those tyres to make it from 9th to 4th. Solid job by the Force Indias and Senna, and a disappointing race for Grosjean and Raikkonen, who didn't look anywhere like what they were expected to be doing this weekend, which was winning.

Race was soo boring, better things to do in this weather! and then it rained right after the race... damn!

A dry race at Monaco. Were you actually expecting any excitement? Monaco only gives excitement when it rains, because positions in Monaco are made by either qualifying well or gaining a position during the pit stops.

I loved Alonso's tactics during his super soft tire stint. He was never slower than Hamilton, but willingly left a gap to save his tires. When the pit window arrived, he closed the gap with Hamilton easily, and gained a position after his stop. Alonso's driving is simply godlike so far this season.

And congratulations to Toro Rosso for completely throwing Vergne's race by bringing him in for intermediates 👎

A dry race at Monaco. Were you actually expecting any excitement? Monaco only gives excitement when it rains, because positions in Monaco are made by either qualifying well or gaining a position during the pit stops.

I loved Alonso's tactics during his super soft tire stint. He was never slower than Hamilton, but willingly left a gap to save his tires. When the pit window arrived, he closed the gap with Hamilton easily, and gained a position after his stop. Alonso's driving is simply godlike so far this season.

And congratulations to Toro Rosso for completely throwing Vergne's race by bringing him in for intermediates 👎

Glad you are not part of any team because it was the smart think to do... he had one stop and only ran on the option tyre (twice) so he had to make another stop to fit the prime tyre and that would have put him out of the points anyway so they gambled on inters and hoped for rain... it didnt rain but if he there is a place where you can get away with doing a couple of laps in the wrong tyre it is monaco. he wouldnt have scored any points anyway and if he didnt stop to change tyres he would have been disqualified.

In F1 in dry races you have to fit two different compounds and the race was not called wet. (just in case you dont know)

There have been exciting dry races at Monaco but it usually involves lots of safety cars.

Back