2014/15 Premier League and General Football Discussion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pagey279
  • 1,959 comments
  • 72,213 views
So Marcos Rojo has apparently put in a transfer request at Sporting Lisbon and want to move to Man United, he plays as either a centre back or a left back and played at the World Cup for Argentina and has been linked with a move fro a little while now, he's not quite the calibre of the players we have been linked with like Hummels or Vermaelen but he is still a quality player

Speaking of Vermaelen, they have said he is still recovering from injury suffered at the World Cup, so that means he's been at Barcelona for two days and is injured...I think we might have had a lucky escape!
 
In proper football, Wednesday were briefly top of the Championship after being the first team to record a win, until Derby replaced them on alphabet difference and then some better results than 1-0 turned up. First win of the season in the first game is rare for us :D
And you've just got yourself a good striker who has scored a load of goals whereever he's played. (OK, he hasn't played for anyone big yet, but still...)

And, because he's vurth eet.

3485759739.jpg


And it looks like someone is having "fun" with his page on wiki.

May joined Football League Championship side Sheffield Wednesday on 9 August 2014, signing a four-year deal.[1][2][64] The fee was 1.32 Azerbaijani Manat and a life time supply of pork scratchings, but May did realise that they are not as massive as he was led to believe. May was quoted in the Spartak match day programme as saying" Wednesday said they were massive, but I looked on Google earth at Hillsborough, and all I saw was a decrepit old ground surrounded by what can only be described as, deluded looking, genetically altered half man half pig people in blue and white stripes, the place was filthy so I gave my agent the sample scratching back and asked if there was anything from KP available. Fans from the Swillsborough outfit demanded that they immediately sign Christiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Gareth Bale as they are the only players in the world that are worthy of gracing the hallowed sty. New Sheffield Wednesday owner (Hazif Ivgorrowt) vowed to open negotiations with all three players, upon his release from his Azerbaijani prison cell. Ronaldo is reported to be "looking forward" to the possobility of joining Wednesday, possibly as early as Tuesday.
 
Liverpool have now brought in Moreno in addition to Manquillo and it looks like Flanagan and Robinson are being pushed out.
 
Liverpool have now brought in Moreno in addition to Manquillo and it looks like Flanagan and Robinson are being pushed out.

Don't think Flanno is getting pushed out, more competition added to the full back positions though that's for sure.

Robinson will probably go out on loan again this season, if someone wants to buy him then we would sell him. Flanno is injured at the moment, but once he's fit and healthy he should and will get game time at some point during the season.

Pretty happy with the Moreno signing, we were after him all summer and we finally wrapped up deal. We got plenty of depth in the full backs positions, so I'm pretty happy about that going into the new season. :)

Oh and can't wait for the new season, not long left now!
 
Well, I just decided to look for the new thread as I had already thought that I had watched it. Either way, it should be a good season. A lot of the teams seems to be making good moves all around so, it should make things really competitive. United will be back in the mix again as well as LVG is a brilliant manager and should be a proper replacement for SAF.

@Famine had a great idea going on page 2 to get somew more English talent in. I'm not English but, it is a bit sad to see such a great country struggle in international competition.

My opinions on the Luke Shaw transfer are as is; I think it is an expensive signing at the moment. Most are thinking 30 million for a Left Back is outrageous. But, I think you need to look into how things are going to be 5+ years down the road. Not only are transfer prices rising quite quickly but, so are buyout clauses. Should he turn out to be as good as we all suspect, then 30 million will be a bargain in 5 years or so when he's inevitably served United well. I'm extremely jealous that he's wearing Red rather than Blue because I watched a lot of Southampton games last year and he was absolutely brilliant. He has great discipline, can read the game well, and can get up and help the attack when needed. All including his most important factor, consistency. Something that I think is overlooked with a lot of promising young English talent. Jack Wilshere comes immediately to mind, yes, he had a lot of good games but, he couldn't do it every weekend. Which I think is why we haven't seen him progress too much in the past 2 or 3 years. Shaw on the other hand really only had a few below par games last season, which leads me to believe that he really will be properly good in the next 15 year window or so that he has.

As for my Blues, I think it's been a window of good business but, one really stupid decision in selling Lukaku. Should have been another loan deal. Fabregas and Costa have looked great in pre season.

My predictions for this season;
1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man United
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Everton
7. Newcastle
8. Spurs
9. Hull
10. Swansea
11. Stoke
12. Sunderland
13. Crystal Palace
14. West From
15. Leicester
16. QPR
17. West Ham
18. Burnley
19. Southampton
20. Aston Villa
 
He's out injured for around a month is Shaw, hamstring injury I believe...
 
Dortmund won the German Supercup with a little help...

9pwTye.gif


:lol:

My predictions for this season;
1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man United
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Everton
7. Newcastle
8. Spurs
9. Hull
10. Swansea
11. Stoke
12. Sunderland
13. Crystal Palace
14. West From
15. Leicester
16. QPR
17. West Ham
18. Burnley
19. Southampton
20. Aston Villa

Southhampton is going to be last. Everyone's gonna **** them :lol:
 
1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Man United
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Everton
7. Newcastle
8. Spurs
9. Hull
10. Swansea
11. Stoke
12. Sunderland
13. Crystal Palace
14. West From
15. Leicester
16. QPR
17. West Ham
18. Burnley
19. Southampton
20. Aston Villa
I would swap Leicester and Aston Villa. The Championship winners usually go down, and Villa won't suffer immediately unless their new owner pulls a Vincent Tan, and sacks Paul Lambert innocuously, or their financial state causes them to be penalised by the FA. Everything else I agree with. (No bias 'cos I'm a City fan, haha.)
 
Last edited:
Just got in from work and watching Coventry v Cardiff in the League Cup and I think the second round draw is made after this, just a thought, are Man United in the second round this year because we aren't in Europe, or is it still the third round??
 
I think Arsenal are very underrated and could possibly fight for the title, their midfield looks amazing and who knows how good Ramsey is now, before his injury last year he looked very good.
 
Last edited:
Capital One Cup second round draw....

Burton v QPR
Port Vale v Cardiff
Middlesbrough v Preston
Stoke v Portsmouth
Huddersfield v Forest
Swansea v Rotherham
Watford v Doncaster
Millwall v Southampton
Bournemouth v Northampton
Brentford v Fulham
West Brom v Oxford
Scunthorpe v Reading
Derby v Charlton
West Ham v Sheff United
Swindon v Brighton
Leicester v Shrewsbury
Crewe v Bolton
Birmingham v Sunderland
Gillingham v Newcastle
Norwich v Crawley
Bradford v Leeds
Aston Villa v Leyton Orient
Burnley v Sheff Wednesday
Walsall v Crystal Palace
MK Dons v Man United
 
Suarez's punishment stays as it is. His appeal at the CAS didn't work. The only thing he is now allowed to do is train along with the Barca squad.
 
...and he can take part in pre season friendlies, starting with the one Barca have on Monday..

Anyway here are my full predictions for this season

1.Chelsea
2.Man City
3.Arsenal
4.Man United
5.Liverpool
6.Tottenham
7.Everton
8.Newcastle
9.Stoke
10.Southampton
11.West Ham
12.Crystal Palace
13.Swansea
14.QPR
15.Hull
16.Sunderland
17.Aston Villa
18.West Brom
19.Leicester
20.Burnley

..and here's my explanations

The top seven
I think its hard to look past Chelsea for the title and I know everyone said they would win it last year and they finished third but they have the strongest squad in the league and a proper striker this time, plus they have done the best transfer business of anyone else this summer, City will push them hard I think but they don't have the strength in depth like Chelsea do and everything they do will be restricted this season due to FFP. Now a couple of weeks ago I posted saying that United will finish above Arsenal But now Arsenal have some real momentum (Damn you Arsenal make me change my mind!) and they could definitely challenge for the title but they need a couple more signings though, but still they do have a stronger squad than United and I think the best we can hope for is third or fourth...a trophy would be nice too!. Liverpool are in danger of becoming Tottenham from last season and I still think they need a striker, I mean what would happen if they play Real Madrid in the CL group and Sturridge is injured, then they'll only have Lambert, they need a top class young striker as back up, cant see them in the top four this time around....Spurs will be better under Pocchettino but I don't think they will have the quality to break into the top four, Everton have had a great summer but will regress due to the extra game the Europa league brings, but they are definitely heading in the right direction under Martinez..

Mid Table
Newcastle have done some great business this summer as they actually spent some money! and on good players too and will improve on 10th last season, Stoke have also had a good summer and will continue to improve under Hughes, Southampton have had a busy summer to say the least! I think they will be fine and they have enough there to just get in the top half, definitely wont be relegated!, west Ham hit the headlines with rumours of boardroom unrest but the squad looks pretty good and they should be comfortable, Palace is an interesting one because they have really done anything of note all summer, the only player they bought for money was Campbell for half a mill, I hope they are not complacent and they will be fine because that's dangerous thinking, Garry Monk has had an interesting first pre season as Swans boss, the squad looks fine but we are getting rid of the Spanish players and I don't know why (Michu, Pozuelo, Chico and Hernandez have left), not sure how to react to that...QPR should have enough to escape relegation and Hull will go a bit backwards due to Europa League commitments but they should be fine and have bought well this summer.

The Bottom Five
Will be the usual struggle for Sunderland, bought some good players but not enough to take them higher, Villa's troubles off the pitch have been well documented and will be a distraction and they have made some uninspiring signings they will survive but only just, WBA's squad doesn't look good enough to me and there are doubts over the manager and its the same with Burnley and Leicester, just don't think they will have enough to survive...
 
Last edited:
First Premier League casualty:

Tony Pulis leaves Crystal Palace.
 
The top seven
I think its hard to look past Chelsea for the title and I know everyone said they would win it last year and they finished third but they have the strongest squad in the league and a proper striker this time, plus they have done the best transfer business of anyone else this summer, City will push them hard I think but they don't have the strength in depth like Chelsea do and everything they do will be restricted this season due to FFP. Now a couple of weeks ago I posted saying that United will finish above Arsenal But now Arsenal have some real momentum (Damn you Arsenal make me change my mind!) and they could definitely challenge for the title but they need a couple more signings though, but still they do have a stronger squad than United and I think the best we can hope for is third or fourth...a trophy would be nice too!. Liverpool are in danger of becoming Tottenham from last season and I still think they need a striker, I mean what would happen if they play Real Madrid in the CL group and Sturridge is injured, then they'll only have Lambert, they need a top class young striker as back up, cant see them in the top four this time around....Spurs will be better under Pocchettino but I don't think they will have the quality to break into the top four, Everton have had a great summer but will regress due to the extra game the Europa league brings, but they are definitely heading in the right direction under Martinez..

Mid Table
Newcastle have done some great business this summer as they actually spent some money! and on good players too and will improve on 10th last season, Stoke have also had a good summer and will continue to improve under Hughes, Southampton have had a busy summer to say the least! I think they will be fine and they have enough there to just get in the top half, definitely wont be relegated!, west Ham hit the headlines with rumours of boardroom unrest but the squad looks pretty good and they should be comfortable, Palace is an interesting one because they have really done anything of note all summer, the only player they bought for money was Campbell for half a mill, I hope they are not complacent and they will be fine because that's dangerous thinking, Garry Monk has had an interesting first pre season as Swans boss, the squad looks fine but we are getting rid of the Spanish players and I don't know why (Michu, Pozuelo, Chico and Hernandez have left), not sure how to react to that...QPR should have enough to escape relegation and Hull will go a bit backwards due to Europa League commitments but they should be fine and have bought well this summer.

The Bottom Five
Will be the usual struggle for Sunderland, bought some good players but not enough to take them higher, Villa's troubles off the pitch have been well documented and will be a distraction and they have made some uninspiring signings they will survive but only just, WBA's squad doesn't look good enough to me and there are doubts over the manager and its the same with Burnley and Leicester, just don't think they will have enough to survive...
So finishing 3 points worse than the previous year? I'll take it.
 
First Premier League casualty:

Tony Pulis leaves Crystal Palace.
What? That's ridiculous. How could he not last a full season after guiding them to their best-ever PL finish? Unless he's got retirement on his mind, Palace are likely to suffer from second-season syndrome, which in that case, he might have quit while he was ahead.
 
What? That's ridiculous. How could he not last a full season after guiding them to their best-ever PL finish? Unless he's got retirement on his mind, Palace are likely to suffer from second-season syndrome, which in that case, he might have quit while he was ahead.
Here's an article about it.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28797071
 
Double posting just to make sure everyone sees this.

I've yet to see anyone do the official Fantasy PL league for GTP so, I've taken it upon myself to make it. The code is 2143553-486746 join in before the first fixtures!
 
Sherwood to get the Palace job.
Moyes to get the West Ham job once Allerdyce has been sacked.

Watch this space.
 
Still nothing from Mr Woodward deja vous anyone.:rolleyes:
 
There is a thread but maybe people like you not seeing it is why only ten people have joined so far.

This is the thread :- https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/fantasy-premier-league-14-15.315044/
I'd normally join, but I've chosen not to give the Premier League any internet traffic of any kind this season. The fact they've all watched this summer's England performance and chosen not to give a crap by contributing to the problem yet again is enough on its own - but the part where they've determined that it's all about protecting the revenue stream from their TV and media sponsors by banning (or trying to ban) fans' Vines is a good backup.

What better way to make themselves look more out of touch than the MPAA/RIAA than banning the most popular short video clip medium on the planet that might entice younger, net-savvy fans to badger their parents into a ticket, or show their merits to fans in other countries who can't get Sky, BT or Sun+, or pay their subscription fees?
 
Agree with @Famine on this. The Premier League has totally lost touch and it is beyond ridiculous. The FA do... well, sweet FA.

If you're from Manchester, go and watch Oldham, Rochdale or Bury.
If you're from Liverpol, go and watch Tranmere.
If you're from London, go and watch Dagenham or Leyton Orient.

Support the Football League and Conference. Support your local team!
 
Agree with @Famine on this. The Premier League has totally lost touch and it is beyond ridiculous. The FA do... well, sweet FA.

If you're from Manchester, go and watch Oldham, Rochdale or Bury.
If you're from Liverpol, go and watch Tranmere.
If you're from London, go and watch Dagenham or Leyton Orient.

Support the Football League and Conference. Support your local team!

I support Fc United of Manchester down in the evo sticks league because they aren't owened by the Glazers. I also support Oxford United in league 2 its fun to watch lower league teams play and watch them improve plus the promotion battles and the relegation battles.

Also I think that Tottenham will beat Liverpool this year I reckon Liverpool will finish 6th. Never under estermate Van Gaal though. Remember when he managed Ajax? Everyone said he wouldn't win the league with the players he had. Lets just wait and see I reckon we will at least get 2nd or 3rd hopefully 1st :p.
 
So Pulis wasn't happy with the spending or lack of, they have only spent £1.9 million thus far and Palace did seem to be resting on their laurels, but now we found out that its Parish and the other co-chairmen holding the club back, they could be in some danger this season but it'll depend on who takes over the team. Mackay, Moyes, Lennon and Sherwood are the favourites with Mackay bookies favourite and I think anyone of those four would do a good job there..

So last season I posted the weekends fixtures on Friday, which I liked doing, here are the first round of games

Saturday
Arsenal v Crystal Palace (5.30 Sky)
Leicester v Everton
Man United v Swansea (12.45 BT)
QPR v Hull
Stoke v Aston Villa
West Brom v Sunderland
West Ham v Tottenham

Sunday
Liverpool v Southampton (1.30 Sky)
Newcastle v Man City (4.00 Sky)

Monday Night
Burnley v Chelsea (8.00 Sky)
 
Last edited:
Well that's it then. Palace are going down. Such a shame for the team nearest to me.
With them will be QPR and West Brom. Unless Ideye Brown has a storming year, and after his troubles with signing, that is questionable. Even if he does, it might not be enough. If it is, Aston Villa will go down instead.
Everyone thinks QPR can stay up for whatever reason, forgetting perhaps that the sheer number of signings they made last time around resulted in an atmosphere around the ground that was akin to a cemetary, making no team chemistry whatsoever and a 20th place finish. I fail to see any difference from then and now.

Also I fully realise why Chelsea are most people's favourites, but they were in the same position last year and ended up 3rd.
Really, god knows who wins it this year. All I know is...anyone but Liverpool.
 
Back