2014 engines: inline-fours out, turbo-charged V6 engines in

True, but 650 HP is a bit too little for F1...

...because? I'm not saying I really like the way engines are going but what I was getting at is that F1 cars of today don't need huge amount of power to be fun and exciting to watch, the aerodynamics help with that. Besides 650hp in a 642kg car is still not to be sniffed at.

650hp plus assist plus overboost. So big power down the straights where they need it, and less boost and electric assist in the corners to keep things tidy. There still won't be any other racing cars coming near the level of performance of these things on track.

Sure, there are racing cars that have more power, but they don't corner as well as these be-winged featherweights.

l_1986_france_168-2

:P

Oh great, I'm racking my brain right now trying to figure out who started from pit lane without resorting to research or doing actual, important work.

1986 French GP, for those who want to play along...but I think it's one of the Brabhams. Patrese perhaps?

650hp plus assist plus overboost. So big power down the straights where they need it, and less boost and electric assist in the corners to keep things tidy. There still won't be any other racing cars coming near the level of performance of these things on track.

Sure, there are racing cars that have more power, but they don't corner as well as these be-winged featherweights.

One good thing about the new engines is that they will have more power on corner exit, according to Mercedes.

Also remember that they cars now have more downforce then they ever have. Even considering the restrictions they have now the cars have so much clever hidden downforce creating items on them that they make cars from 2005 look very simple from a design point of view.

So whilst the cars will have less power then they have in the past their won't be a huge drop in performance compared to the past.

Also remember that they cars now have more downforce then they ever have. Even considering the restrictions they have now the cars have so much clever hidden downforce creating items on them that they make cars from 2005 look very simple from a design point of view.

So whilst the cars will have less power then they have in the past their won't be a huge drop in performance compared to the past.

They had much, much more downforce in 2010.

^ This times a 1000, people aren't realizing that the cars are going to be more than 650 due to ers and kers so...and what Mercedes have said will still be in the same ballpark as the V8s. 2.4s right now are said to be 750~ and so will the new engines with ers. People need to realize that the world is changing and thus so do these sports, let's move on and just get prepared for more great racing but in a new package.

The Benetton B186 just had a 1.4L straight 4 engine and produced about 1000 bhp in qualifying, that was 25 years ago.
So it should be easy for the teams to get more than 650 bhp out of the engines in 2014?
What are the regulations on boost pressure and air intake?

EDIT: Anyway, i loved the "old formula one" attitude, get the hell of power out of a engine. Over 1000 bhp in qualifying and the engine blows up 5 laps later? Doesn´t matter, as long as they got the fastest lap time.
This is formula one, no place for economists.

Last edited:
Furinkazen

The Lotus 88 was from 1981; the Lotus 96T-100T ran in successive years from 1984-1988 (Lotus type-numbers were based on all Lotus cars, racing or roadgoing).

Lest we forget, turbo engine reliability wasn't stellar...there were very few races with more than 16 finishers, and these races sported 26 car grids (sometimes even 27 cars) quite frequently.

With more restrictions on engines, I don't think reliability will change much, but the engine explosions at full speed are going to be quite spectacular...

When I look at this image it reminds me of some 00s cars, like the 2007 McLaren. If they will really look like this, I'm happy. ;)
2014_sideelev.jpg

When I look at this image it reminds me of some 00s cars, like the 2007 McLaren. If they will really look like this, I'm happy. ;)
2014_sideelev.jpg

Reminds me of the Brawn GP001, which makes me wonder if that is part of why Merc GP are confident. Engine Package, probably being ahead of the others with ers and kers, and body work rules.

It isn't too bad, though still a bit less evil sounding than this:

Or this:

I think the main reason it sounds somewhat "bad" is due to the gearshifts...

Sounds very flat and almost videogame like. As long as they are as fast as the current cars (if not faster) then it doesn't matter too much what they sound like.

I found that engine underwhelming too, the turbo era engines felt much more raw and visceral.

Just posted by CAMS:
FORMULA ONE TO AMAZE WHEN IT POWERS AHEAD IN 2014

Formula One Race Director Charlie Whiting yesterday predicted that Formula One is set to enter a new era of excitement when the sport introduces a new engine formula in 2014.

Speaking alongside Deputy Race Director Herbie Blash during a Q&A on the opening day of Sport Conference Week, Whiting outlined the changes F1 is facing when it moves to 1.6 litre, V6 turbocharged, hybrid powerplants next year.

“We have new powertrain coming in 2014, with all sorts of energy recovery devices, which will I think bring the power up to a little over what we have at the moment,” he said.

“The cornerstone of this new power unit is that cars will only be able to use 100kg of fuel for a race,” he added. “There is also a fuel flow limit that will be checked and verified by the FIA fuel flow meter which will be fitted in all cars’ fuel tanks. Currently the fuel used is about 140 or 150kg and that will come down to the 100kg mark. That is a significant difference.

“Efficiency is the key thing,” he concluded. “You won’t see cars run out of fuel – there’s no limit to the amount of fuel a team can put in a car but there is a limit to how much they can use in a race. It is a significant change to the efficiency of the car.”

Questioned by Surinder Thatthi of the Kenya Motor Sports Federation as to the safety of the new turbocharged units and the likelihood of fire, Whiting responded that the technology has moved on greatly since F1’s last turbo era in the 1980s.

“You will not see any more fires than we see now,” he said. “Things are much safer than they ever were in the past. The technology has come on in leaps and bounds and it is the most efficient way of developing the required power and that, alongside the energy recovery, means we will see some amazing machines out there.”

In a wide-ranging discussion Whiting and Blash explained how the FIA operates at Formula One events, detailing the Federation’s team works in race control across a grand prix weekend and how it works with circuits to improve safety and event management.

Blash focused on the work conducted by the Volunteers and Officials Commission in improving safety at races.
“We learn from experience on a race-to-race basis,” he said, “and one of the most important developments we’ve seen is through the Volunteers and Officials Commission. That is beginning to have an impact on the future of motor sport.”

Referring to an earlier statement by Graham Stoker in which the Deputy President of Sport lauded the 2,000 officials who will assist at this weekend’s British Grand Prix, Blash added: “It is a huge number and to recruit and maintain that level of involvement is very difficult but we are starting to see that happening.”

Whiting went on to commend the commitment of marshals around the world and in particular praised the volunteers at this year’s Australian Grand Prix, where heavy rain caused long delays.

The comment drew a positive response from Andrew Papadopoulos, President of the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport (CAMS) who informed the FIA Race Director that he had been made aware of the volunteers’ gratitude after they been contacted personally by Whiting to thank them for their efforts in Melbourne.

Asked to nominate their favourite F1 race venues, Whiting plumped for Silverstone, his “home race and a real race circuit”, while Blash opted for the Japanese Grand Prix, saluting Japanese fans’ deep knowledge of the sport and passionate support.

Finally, asked to express what Formula One means to each of them, Whiting responded that it had become a consuming part of life, while Blash was more succinct, simply saying: “it is my life.”

I think the engine sounds similar to some WRC and hill climbing cars, also I feel the clip Renault gave to the public was lowered and pre-season test will show us the true sound of the car. Also you have to think one of the teams if not more will have a crazy single exhaust system to change the sound slightly.

The engine sounds good like a more quiet sounding 80s era car

“You won’t see cars run out of fuel – there’s no limit to the amount of fuel a team can put in a car but there is a limit to how much they can use in a race. It is a significant change to the efficiency of the car.”

Sounds odd, so they can put more than 100 litres in but can't use any more than that?

It doesn't sound that bad. The pitch will definitely be lower due to the lower revs, and Renault figures they'll only be using about 12k of the 15k available (fuel limits, etcetera). I'm betting the overall volume will be lower, as well, due to the muffling effect of the turbo.

Within the fuel limit and the greater scope of ERS, pace differences over race distance as different fuel/regen, boost and tire strategies play out should make the first half of the season chaotic and... fun... to watch.

Sounds odd, so they can put more than 100 litres in but can't use any more than that?

it is odd. teams try to race with the least amount of fuel as it is. im interested to see how the rules govern those recovery systems and what teams will stretch those rules when it comes to pushing the "K.I.T.T. Turbo Boost" button.

It doesn't sound that bad. The pitch will definitely be lower due to the lower revs, and Renault figures they'll only be using about 12k of the 15k available (fuel limits, etcetera). I'm betting the overall volume will be lower, as well, due to the muffling effect of the turbo.

Within the fuel limit and the greater scope of ERS, pace differences over race distance as different fuel/regen, boost and tire strategies play out should make the first half of the season chaotic and... fun... to watch.

Exactly and I'm expecting plenty of issues to come up in the first few races especially Bahrain when the turbo engines will be in weather they won't like too much. I think we will see failures for a bit and then they will be fixed.

I think he just meant the tanks can occupy more than the car needs on Sunday, as opposed to today's cars which had to be lengthened to fit bigger tanks.

I think I've realised what they mean now I've read it again. "but there is a limit to how much they can use in a race" is referring to the fuel flow limit mentioned above. So they can physically put in as much as they like but they're limited to how much they can use during operation thanks to the stricter fuel flow limit.

Back