2014 Pirelli Hungarian Grand Prix

Not to mention this is Hamilton's track. He'll be on it from the drop of the clutch looking for a good result, I'm sure.

I think 4th or even 3rd will be a good result for Hami

Lets hope it rains and then I think he would have a real shot at the podium

He'll be starting from the pits, on a track that's notoriously difficult to pass on. Without any intervention from safety cars, he'll be lucky to make it to the podium, if that far...

:lol:

To try and turn Lewis fortunes around I'm predicting an easy victory for Nico by about 20 seconds and Lewis will have to retire from the race 10 laps in due to a gearbox issue.

When I see such an event where the driver fails to get a lap in and the car is destroyed I think spare cars should be brought back.

I know it's harder to overtake here than Hockenheim but he made some great overtakes last year in Hungary and that's without having a car that's much faster than everything else. If it's dry I'll be happy with him having a top 5 finish.

Since Rosberg is bound to win this whatever happens I'd love to see Vettel on the podium.

Man, if Hamilton didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all. Gotta feel sorry for him, that's 2 mechanical failures in qualifying in a row.

Great performance by Vettel and Bottas, was really hoping one of them could steal the pole from Rosberg.

I'm shocked at Hamilton's latest calamity.

I had someone crashing into him, a tire falling off after a terrible pit service or a suspension failure. Didn't have car going up in flames.

I'm shocked at Hamilton's latest calamity.

I had someone crashing into him, a tire falling off after a terrible pit service or a suspension failure. Didn't have car going up in flames.

His comments that "it's not all bad luck, we need to work harder as a team" ring true, destroying a car with a fuel-pipe leak is something that shouldn't happen.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Kimi's heart is no longer in this? Clearly, his head isn't - he was asked before the race what the highlights of his season have been so far (as if the interviewer didn't know what he was going to say!!) and he replied (shock, horror) "There isn't any". A shame for Kimi that the Ferrari is off the pace, but Alonso is making a much better fist of it... I can't see Kimi staying next season unless there is a massive improvement in the car - and perhaps also in his attitude.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Kimi's heart is no longer in this? Clearly, his head isn't - he was asked before the race what the highlights of his season have been so far (as if the interviewer didn't know what he was going to say!!) and he replied (shock, horror) "There isn't any". A shame for Kimi that the Ferrari is off the pace, but Alonso is making a much better fist of it... I can't see Kimi staying next season unless there is a massive improvement in the car - and perhaps also in his attitude.

Kimi is very very honest, which is what most endears him to people. Or the opposite. Ferrari likes to be loved back and I don't think they're feeling it right now!

In other news; Hamilton will take a 10-place grid penalty later in the season (I presume at the next race) for using a sixth "major engine component".

Not really. As I've expressed in my new signature...

Mercedes doesn't deserve Lewis Hamilton.
The problem with this statement is that you're assuming Mercedes isn't as committed to Hamilton and his title bid as Hamilton is, and that his problems have come about as a result of indifference, negligence or sabotage. In both Germany and Hungary, his problems came about as a result of some highly-specific circumstances, many of which would have been beyond the ability to predict or control simply because, taken individually, they are not problems - but when in unison, they make a perfect storm.

I agree. He has been disappointing for a while now. If anything, he has probably kept his seat because of the instability surrounding Domenicali's departure (as any manager will tell you, it's never a good idea to change too much, too quickly), and, Ferrari's pride, as they won't want to take the stigma of dropping a driver mid-season unless they absolutely have to, least of all a popular driver like Raikkonen.

Right now, I'd say the only thing that might save him next year is Alonso - the rumour mill is pumping out all manner of gossip and hearsay, linking him to a Williams or McLaren move. If it happens, Ferrari may opt to keep Raikkonen for the sake of stability. Or they could just make it as quick and as clean as possible and get rid of him then.

Last edited:
Not to mention this is Hamilton's track. He'll be on it from the drop of the clutch looking for a good result, I'm sure.

It wont happen, Hamilton is good but not a miracle worker. He'll be lucky to get a sniff at the top five, even he believe that a top ten is the best he can do. I think the only thing left for him is to do as best as he can and hope that after the summer break his luck gets better.

I've seen the replay of the qualifying, it's amazing how unlucky Hamilton is...

I mean, I don't root for him, but life (or his team) is being too harsh on him :boggle:
So on the F1 site, it says there will be rain tomorrow, dry as day it is then.
More like dry as the Atacama

He might be looking for it, but it doesn't mean that he is going to get it. The Hungaroring is notorious for being difficult to pass on. Even if Hamilton runs a split strategy and then hammers out qualifying lap after qualifying lap during the pit window, he'll be lucky to pick up minor points.

Pardon the double-post, but I thought I'd share this, which I found over at the Autosport forums. It's a chart showing who is where in their power unit component quota:

bNoI2Qs.jpg

It's current as of Hockenheim.

So on the F1 site, it says there will be rain tomorrow, dry as day it is then.

Something tells me that "as dry as day" isn't a phrase that'll catch on in Manchester...

@prisonermonkeys, nice find! One of my gripes about F1 is that it can be hard to keep track of who's used what, either in terms of tyres-per-event or components-per-season. I just wasn't looking hard enough :D

He might be looking for it, but it doesn't mean that he is going to get it. The Hungaroring is notorious for being difficult to pass on. Even if Hamilton runs a split strategy and then hammers out qualifying lap after qualifying lap during the pit window, he'll be lucky to pick up minor points.
Kobayashi did it in 2010 with a Sauber(and tyres where more stable Bridgestones and no DRS), my guess is he will manage a top 5, if no incidents.

Last edited:
Pardon the double-post, but I thought I'd share this, which I found over at the Autosport forums. It's a chart showing who is where in their power unit component quota:

bNoI2Qs.jpg

It's current as of Hockenheim.
Just going by that you can clearly see the Mercedes Advantage in Overall Reliability, they clearly are the package to have this year.

Kobayashi did it in 2010 with a Sauber(and tyres where more stable Bridgestones and no DRS), my guess is he will manage a top 5, if no incidents.
Different driver, different car, different tyres and different conditions. Different competitors, too.

Just because Kobayashi did it then, it doesn't mean Hamilton can or will do it now.

Different driver, different car, different tyres and different conditions. Different competitors, too.

Just because Kobayashi did it then, it doesn't mean Hamilton can or will do it now.
My point was it was much harder to pass back in the Bridgestone era, Hamilton is in a much faster car compared to the competitors that will be around him with more aids to help him pass then Koby in a race thats comparable strategy wise since that year they started the no refuelling era, just going by that would suggest he could at worst equal it in similar dry conditions.

Williams have just tweeted a picture of a very large black cloud, apparently thunder and lightning in the area too. Gonna be a wet one...

I'm in Budapest at the moment (not at the circuit), heavy rain and thunderstorms here at the moment. Hungaroring is about 50km's away from here but that promises for the race 👍

Back