2014 United Sports Car Championship

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
  • 323,359 views
Unofficial rendering by Koda Factory. I'm liking it.

s1_21768.jpg
 
If I'm Honest, I kinda think it fits the R8 a lot better then the 911.
 
It was kinda the combination of the car being still relatively new (hasn't had a full season under it like the Ferrari does) and the team being new to the series. Hopefully with Flying Lizard being the first team to run it a full season, the car can actually be properly developed.
Actually, the APR team ran the car the full season before last. They were the ones that developed the car for this most recent season, then Audi pulled it's backing.

The Ferrari has just been remarkably competitive straight out of the box for some reason. But I agree, hopefully the experience from Flying Lizard will put the Audi on the proper pace.
 
Actually, the APR team ran the car the full season before last. They were the ones that developed the car for this most recent season, then Audi pulled it's backing.

The Ferrari has just been remarkably competitive straight out of the box for some reason. But I agree, hopefully the experience from Flying Lizard will put the Audi on the proper pace.

They did? I could've sworn they ran it for half a season as APR weren't at the 24 (someone else did and we never saw them again).
 
They did? I could've sworn they ran it for half a season as APR weren't at the 24 (someone else did and we never saw them again).
They were at Daytona. Emanuelle Pirro, Dion von Moltke, Dr. Jim Norman, Ian Bass and someone else drove the car. Both they and the Oryx Audi had massive technical difficulties centering around the clutch, which was supposed to be based on a street unit rather than a full racing clutch. Since Porsche makes a gnarly clutch to put in the GT3 they don't have the issues that the by-comparison fragile clutch of the Audi had.

They ran the full season and had mostly unremarkable finishes given the constant development they were facing to bring the car up to speed. They even had a second car for a few races.
 
That render came out pretty fast.. Is that from rFactor? :lol:
 
Brad Kettler implied that the lack of a rear diffuser hurt the Am drivers. Of course, sans splitter and being thrashed around by Audi's best meant they were very quick at Daytona. It's understood that they have been allowed to put the diffuser back on.

It was kinda the combination of the car being still relatively new (hasn't had a full season under it like the Ferrari does) and the team being new to the series. Hopefully with Flying Lizard being the first team to run it a full season, the car can actually be properly developed.


Alright, thanks guys. I've always like Flying Lizard, so hopefully they're on the pace pretty quick. Although it's always tough starting a season with a new car.
 
Actually, the APR team ran the car the full season before last. They were the ones that developed the car for this most recent season, then Audi pulled it's backing.

The Ferrari has just been remarkably competitive straight out of the box for some reason. But I agree, hopefully the experience from Flying Lizard will put the Audi on the proper pace.
APR ran the Audi full season in 2012 with a second chassis for a race or two. Oryx ran it for the first 2 races that year as well. A team called Limitless racing ran 1 race with the Audi at New Jersey Motorsports Park in 2012. In 2013, APR had 2 Audis at Daytona. AJR had the race winning #24. Rum Bum also rented an Audi and was very competitive. APR ran the COTA race, but didn't race any more this season. Brad Kettler raced it at The Glen and IMS for the NAEC. Fall-Line motorsports competed with it the second half of the this season. They got the gt3 diffuser approved, and the car showed some speed with it, but it was very effective in the DTM driver's hands at Daytona w/out the diffuser
 
Last edited:
They got the gt3 diffuser approved, and the car showed some speed with it, but it was very effective in the DTM driver's hands at Daytona w/out the diffuser
So basically what I said
 
So basically what I said
More/less. The Audi's strength was at the street course. APR developed the car so much over that first season. It went from a car that was a backmarker to top 5 finishes when it didn't have mechanical problems. The clutch on the car gave it issues because it was made for the gt3 car which had traction control whereas such systems weren't allowed in grand am. Had APR had funding to race it full season this year, it would've been very competitive. I fully expect the Lizards to win multiple races with it
 
I'm convinced that if Flying Lizard had that horrid GT2 Jag in GTE, they could get wins with that.
 
APR ran the Audi full season in 2012 with a second chassis for a race or two. Oryx ran it for the first 2 races that year as well. A team called Limitless racing ran 1 race with the Audi at New Jersey Motorsports Park in 2012. In 2013, APR had 2 Audis at Daytona. AJR had the race winning #24. Rum Bum also rented an Audi and was very competitive. APR ran the COTA race, but didn't race any more this season. Brad Kettler raced it at The Glen and IMS for the NAEC. Fall-Line motorsports competed with it the second half of the this season. They got the gt3 diffuser approved, and the car showed some speed with it, but it was very effective in the DTM driver's hands at Daytona w/out the diffuser
I'm not really sure why you're replying to me with this. The Limitless Racing Audi is the only thing I wasn't previously aware of, perhaps this response was directed to the person I was responding to?

More/less. The Audi's strength was at the street course. APR developed the car so much over that first season. It went from a car that was a backmarker to top 5 finishes when it didn't have mechanical problems. The clutch on the car gave it issues because it was made for the gt3 car which had traction control whereas such systems weren't allowed in grand am. Had APR had funding to race it full season this year, it would've been very competitive. I fully expect the Lizards to win multiple races with it
This is not what I heard. The clutch issues were a result of Grand-Am mandating the use of a street-type clutch and not a full racing clutch, this information came from APR themselves via VWVortex.
 
That means we'll have at least 5-6 full time Audis in 2014. Brad Kettler was right on the money.
 
I'm not really sure why you're replying to me with this. The Limitless Racing Audi is the only thing I wasn't previously aware of, perhaps this response was directed to the person I was responding to?


This is not what I heard. The clutch issues were a result of Grand-Am mandating the use of a street-type clutch and not a full racing clutch, this information came from APR themselves via VWVortex.
I was elaborating on what you were saying haha. My grand am geek came out. Cheers

I wasn't clear enough when I said that. You're exactly right and I read that same piece. When I typed that, it made sense in my mind, but that's not saying much :p

So much for that Porsche GT Murica invasion that looked like the GTD class. Good to see diversity in the class
 
Indeed, although it will still be a very Porsche-strong field.

But that's what happens when the car you're selling is almost half the price of the competition. There's a part of me that hopes the car isn't competitive to encourage teams to switch to a more diverse range of machinery.
 
Indeed, although it will still be a very Porsche-strong field.

But that's what happens when the car you're selling is almost half the price of the competition. There's a part of me that hopes the car isn't competitive to encourage teams to switch to a more diverse range of machinery.
Ben Keating has his viper with Bill Riley and the Turner z4s will provide a little diversity. The Audi Porsche Ferrari war will be alive and well I believe. Trg has the AMR gtd program too. I think gtd will be the best class in the merger series
 
Ben Keating has his viper with Bill Riley and the Turner z4s will provide a little diversity. The Audi Porsche Ferrari war will be alive and well I believe. Trg has the AMR gtd program too. I think gtd will be the best class in the merger series
I never said it wasn't going to be completely devoid of diversity. Yes there will be all sorts of machinery on the grid, but if Dagys' silly season is anything to go by, we're going to be looking at a maximum possibility of 12 Porsches with a maximum possibility of 14 other cars for all other brands combined.

I'm looking forward to GT racing from both classes and wish that IMSA would explain why they've chosen to restrict entries and make head-scratching field splits. I want to see GT cars race with GT cars, and Prototypes race with Prototypes if you're going to split the field down the middle for some of the regular season races.
 
Edit 2: Mazda LMP2 program announcement today. I'm expecting a Sky-Activ Diesel with Dyson program

:D Can't wait! I hope it's a two car program as well!
 
:D Can't wait! I hope it's a two car program as well!
Hoping for a Chris Dyson, Guy Smith entry along with a Sylvain Tremblay, Tom Long myself. Probably numbers 16 and 70 too :) More P class cars!!! Thank GOD

Idk if mentioned on here before but Delta-ADR is developing the Coyote DP bodywork and entering a DP in the Rolex 24 as well as their P2 in the 12 hours of Sebring
 
That would be cool. I hope thing bring back the classic white/green/yellow livery if they bring back the #16. Also, does anyone know if Speedsource was/is involved with the P2 Mazda program as well?
 
That would be cool. I hope thing bring back the classic white/green/yellow livery if they bring back the #16. Also, does anyone know if Speedsource was/is involved with the P2 Mazda program as well?
As per GAUnleashed, Sylvain said that the Sky-Activ diesel was going to be in a P class car. I'm looking for a Dyson scheme like this one
TN_Sebring-1998-09-20-020.jpg


I'm hoping the speedsource car takes this livery
Daytona-Speedsource-RX8-02.jpg
 
I'm really looking forward to the diversity in the P class now. Where else will you be able to see everything from Gasoline turbo 4's all the way up to N/A V8's, Diesel and three different specs of chassis racing together?

My kind of action.

And this Mazda announcement would correlate well with Dagys hint from the silly season update. It's the thing I like about him, since he's not very good at hiding secrets by putting this "Mystery Team" in the "Confirmed" section.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/silly-season-update-prototype-dpp2/

“Mystery Team” – Look for a multi-car P2 program to be announced in the next few weeks, which would add some diversity to the top Prototype ranks. (2 TBA P2 cars)
 
Back