2014 United Sports Car Championship

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
  • 323,464 views
P, well, it sounds like the Fords may run into trouble, and I have little faith in the Mazda being reliable in time. Delta-Action-ADR-Express would be my DP pick, and the P2 winner will be Muscle Milk or Oak, since I don't really rate ESM at this point in time...

With Ryan over there now, I kinda think their chances are much better.
 
Is online streaming available?
Online streaming is not available at this time, but will be in the future.

When presumably NASCAR will make us pay to watch it, not to worry I'm sure there will be some decent "other" streams for the big races 👍
 
When presumably NASCAR will make us pay to watch it, not to worry I'm sure there will be some decent "other" streams for the big races 👍

You make that sound like a bad thing, I would love a service where you can get a high quality stream without needing a certain provider(like it has been in the U.S. for some time with ESPN3/SPEED2).
 
Whose ready for MRN coverage...? I liked SPEED/Fox Sports broadcasting team (and it's my understanding a lot of people didn't) but I hope MRN isn't around, or at least commentating on any broadcasts or streams..
 
Some short crappy vids from today's final practice: Those P2 cars look like they're holding back on the brakes big time! The GT-LM cars are going deeper on the brakes than those guys are!


 
Jav
Some short crappy vids from today's final practice: Those P2 cars look like they're holding back on the brakes big time!
Is that because Continental tyres are awful or are they sandbagging for some of their stolen speed to be returned?
 
Is that because Continental tyres are awful or are they sandbagging for some of their stolen speed to be returned?

Probably a mixture of both. I asked the Deltawing guys what they had to do to their P1 classed car to be classed between the LMP2's and DP's and all they said were the continental tires... :lol:
 
LMAO!! ^^ that was funny! But yeah, P2s are definitely sandbagging, not that the DPs aren't but we won't know for sure till that qualy session ends are the cars are lined up on Saturday! So looking forward to that!
 
Jav
LMAO!! ^^ that was funny! But yeah, P2s are definitely sandbagging, not that the DPs aren't but we won't know for sure till that qualy session ends are the cars are lined up on Saturday! So looking forward to that!

Go little car go!
Honestly I can't wait to see how the deltawing will do. Considering it uses far less fuel and is ridiculously good on it's tires. I wonder how much less it'll be in the pit lane and if it's enough to make a big difference.
 
I think a few cars in every class are sandbagging, near the end of the video I posted above, he lifts off the throttle right before start/finish for a brief moment..



Courtesy of the iRacing forums, mind your volume.
 
I wonder if they have plans to make the Corvette DP look a little more like the C7 eventually.
 
Jav
LMAO!! ^^ that was funny! But yeah, P2s are definitely sandbagging, not that the DPs aren't but we won't know for sure till that qualy session ends are the cars are lined up on Saturday! So looking forward to that!
Ganassi ran a private test a week or so ago with a few other teams. They went outlap/1.38.4/inlap. DP teams are sandbagging pros.

(btw, am I the only one who thinks the Corvette DP looks more like the actual street car than the C7.R?)

Predictions:

I think Ganassi runs away with it again. MM will be the the highest finishing LMP2 by laps. I predict the Mazda cars run 90 minutes each. The 01 will be the only Ford Ecoboost to finish. The rest will have motor failures. Corvette DP will be fast in qualifying but not have the pace for the full stint. PC winner will be 7th overall. GTLM winning car will be 16th overall. GTD will be the best race of all. Flying Lizard will take it though. Highest finishing GTD car will be 24th
 
I think BMW will be very strong, you could see way more BMW factory personnel than any other brand today and it was only Turner running in the last session, the RLL cars didn't go out for the last session.
 
Jav
I think BMW will be very strong, you could see way more BMW factory personnel than any other brand today and it was only Turner running in the last session, the RLL cars didn't go out for the last session.
That's a lot like the "engine issues" the Ford Ecoboost teams were experiencing and didn't race the last session. Remember, Jamie McMurray ran the fastest time of one session for Ganassi. When McMurray is the fastest, you know there's something going on considering he ran Ganassi's fastest lap time of the weekend. RLL is the same way. I have a feeling WTR was only pushing when Wayne Taylor was in the car.
 
With Ryan over there now, I kinda think their chances are much better.
Fair, but I still doubt the ability of the ESM crew to deliver a solid car.

The last time an HPD did a 24 hour race, it caught fire (Level 5 at Le Mans). I think there's more than a few question marks surrounding that car.
 
It'll definitely be an interesting race, sucks for me that I'll miss the start but I'm definitely heading to Daytona Saturday night after work!
 
Jav
It'll definitely be an interesting race, sucks for me that I'll miss the start but I'm definitely heading to Daytona Saturday night after work!

I will be there for the night section for sure, hopefully getting some pretty good pictures.
 
Haven't seen much discussion here about this, but what does everyone think about the "new" rules for this upcoming season? Points, etc..
 
Haven't seen much discussion here about this, but what does everyone think about the "new" rules for this upcoming season? Points, etc..
I don't like the ACO pit stops. Takes cars off the track and keeps them in the pits longer. Argue safety all you want, but until the max pit speed limit is 15 mph, the tires are hand torqued after being changed, every car is inspected by an IMSA pit official to make sure the car is able to go back out, and there's 2 crewman with fire bottles standing at guard while everyone else is behind a fireproof shield during fueling, there's no way that pit stops will ever be safe. The pit crew will have to wear these too
 
The ACO pit rules put a premium on good tyres. Understandable that a series with a spec tyre may not dig that...

Engine should be off during ALL service, regardless.
 
The ACO pit rules put a premium on good tyres. Understandable that a series with a spec tyre may not dig that...

Engine should be off during ALL service, regardless.
I can agree to that. Also, why not make it mandatory that the car is jacked up at all times during service. That way, the Pruett incident with the fuel spillage at The Glen doesn't happen again. Also, IndyCar I believe has a system where the transmission is disengaged when the fuel buckeye is in the car. That right there would be enough to keep 99% of fuel spillages/fires from happening. More guys get hurt from being hit by cars than anything to do with fueling. I watched 2 or 3 cars get spun into the pit wall entering and/or exiting the pit stalls. Fueling isn't nearly the most dangerous part of a pit stop. Also, remember when the Gainsco tire changer got slammed by Enzo Potoliccio at COTA during the grand am race.
 
The reasoning behind no work being performed on the car while refueling and having the car in the floor instead of on the jacks is to minimize risk. Yes the car may roll, but having the air hose connected to the car while refueling opens the door to many other hazards that would only make the situation worse. Just think about it, analize the situation and you'll quickly see it.
Slowing the pit stops down sounds like a bad thing, but everyone has to go trough it so it really doesn't change anything.
 
"Lucky Dog" wave arounds.. Need I say more..?
 
"Lucky Dog" wave arounds.. Need I say more..?

Unless we get the same idiotic officials from NASCAR (as well as the same pathetic gimmicks), I highly doubt that's gonna happen.
 
"Lucky Dog" wave arounds.. Need I say more..?
Looks to me like the main point is to not have any slower traffic in-class ahead of the class leaders in the pace line, which seems sensible enough.
 
Looks to me like the main point is to not have any slower traffic in-class ahead of the class leaders in the pace line, which seems sensible enough.
Which is EXACTLY what Grand-am has done since about 2005ish. They had a lucky dog back waaaaay back in the day, but that's long since gone away
 
Didn't a team gain 7 laps from that rule last year without ever passing the leader on track? MSR IIRC.

Stupid rule, makes the first 23.5 hours useless. Just seems like a gimmick to manufacture a close finish.
 
Last edited:
Didn't a team gain 7 laps from that rule last year without ever passing the leader on track? MSR IIRC.

Stupid rule, makes the first 23.5 hours useless. Just seems like a gimmick to manufacture a close finish.
I think that shows perseverance, determination, and drive. Three huge factors to winning a 24 hour race. That shows that if you play the strategy game correctly along with some good fortune on cautions, there is time to come back from an early mistake. I was cheering for the comeback
 
Back