2015/2016 UEFA Europa League

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 205 comments
Groningen is done, after yet another defeat. Ajax is pretty much done, after a draw. AZ is 1-0 behind.

In the Europa League.

Edit.

2-0 behind. Against Augsburg. The number last of the Bundesliga.

Last edited:
Honestly, the fall from grace we've had in Europe is embarrassing.

Molde through before Fenerbache, Celtic and Ajax. At least we are joined by 2 equivelant failures. Sigh.

Liverpool and Tottenham both won, bloody hell Celtic....always letting the team down :P

It wouldn't be so bad if the games were actually exciting to watch. But even that isn't happening. It's like watching amateur football on a Sunday morning after a heavy night of drinking by the aforementioned amateurs.

image.png
image.png

It wouldn't be so bad if the games were actually exciting to watch. But even that isn't happening. It's like watching amateur football on a Sunday morning after a heavy night of drinking by the aforementioned amateurs.
Our group was called the group of death hilariously before the games started. I think every single game across all 4 teams have been so timid and bland that it would bore people to death(maybe exception to the Celtic v Fener game on MD2).

We can still progress but we will be lucky to get 1 point never mind 6, lack of heart and passion. Domestically the team is streaks ahead of anything the league has to offer/if it offers anything (minus blips) but in Europe, which is the most important thing for Celtic, we are absolutely shocking.

I don't want to take anything away from Molde though, they are average but very good structurally and seem to have perfected the counter-attack.

@Brend Celtic need Rangers*. They're off the boil in Europe because they've had three years resting on their laurels and Champions League qualification requires far less effort.

*Or at least someone to challenge them year-on-year

Agree/disagree?

@Brend Celtic need Rangers*. They're off the boil in Europe because they've had three years resting on their laurels and Champions League qualification requires far less effort.

Agree/disagree?
Rangers, as they existed before, are dead and even if they make it to the SPFL(big IF) they wont even be in the top 4 teams in the league. They had their 🤬 handed to them against St Johnstone at home earlier this year, the only SPFL challenge they had to face.

Celtic's core issues come from having no real investment in the team, we are a selling club as it stands. No amount of skeleton clubs representing the past will change that in a hurry I'm afraid. That begins with the club and ends with it. We didn't need other clubs when we made it to the last 16 of the UCL. If Celtic were doing everything in their power to try and impact Europe and it wasn't coming off it would be a fair assessment, however I'm not going to pass off the blame. The current state of our club in terms of investment on the pitch is absolutely woeful. Thats my assessment.

Agree/disagree?
I don't think Rangers have the team which can even challenge Celtic.

I don't think Rangers have the team which can even challenge Celtic.
Also, they arent in a situation to 'invest' either. They need 2.5 million to see out the season.

Qarabag v Tottenham in a bit, Liverpool v Bordeaux on later and Celtic are playing someone too, dunno who...

They need to win their last two games in the group to have any chance as well I think...

They're not in a great position, but I think they get through if they win both of them

image.png

I'd be surprised if they won both games though, considering they haven't won once yet.

So, AZ are done. Lost 1-2 against Partizan.

And Ajax being 1-1 against Celtic just shows how awful the Dutch competition really is.

So, AZ are done. Lost 1-2 against Partizan.

And Ajax being 1-1 against Celtic just shows how awful the Dutch competition really is.
Ajax are lucky to even have a goal so far, awful lot. :)

I know we'll lose but still!

Ajax are lucky to even have a goal so far, awful lot. :)

I know we'll lose but still!

There is no way to know who will win when the football is this awful. But pretty much every game in this group has just been awful. Horrible.

Edit.

We might as well just call it soccer. :lol:

There is no way to know who will win when the football is this awful. But pretty much every game in this group has just been awful. Horrible.

Edit.

We might as well just call it soccer. :lol:
Hence why the most exciting thing is something that festers in dead locations...

Molde. :lol:

Nothing more than we deserve.

Please leave Deila.

Well, Ajax gained nothing with this win. Fenerbahce won against Molde.

And the last games are Ajax v Molde and Fenerbahce v Celtic.
And I can't see Celtic win in Istanbul. Or Ajax against Molde for that matter.

Spurs and Liverpool both qualify with wins, strange thing happened in the Liverpool game though, Mignolet gave away Bordeaux's only goal from a free kick inside in the 18 yard box after he held on to the ball for almost 20 seconds!

A finish to the campaign with a toothless 1-1 draw in Istanbul. Personally felt Fener were there for the taking (for the second match in a row).

A finish to the campaign with a toothless 1-1 draw in Istanbul. Personally felt Fener were there for the taking (for the second match in a row).

Nice job by Gordon with the 1-0. :lol:

Edit.

Ajax, 7 points. 1 win.
FC Groningen. 2 points.
AZ, 4 points. 1 win.

And we had another 2, Vitesse and Go Ahead Eagles* go out in the qualification rounds.

*Won a FIFA fair play ticket, currently resides in the second tier.

Last edited:
Liverpool and Tottenham win their groups and will be seeded for the knockout stage draw along with Man United, some of the unseeded teams are Dortmund, Valencia, Marseille and Shakthar!

Knockout stage draw is on Monday just after the CL last 16 draw, isn't it the last 32 in this?

Back