2015/2016 UEFA Europa League

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 205 comments
Smallings maybe top 5 in terms of Centre Backs.

United are a bunch of average players that are expected to do well just because millions has been spent on them, the saving grace of what they have now is potential in the like of Martial and Memphis(even if he has been underwhelming) but I frankly see no reason for them to be considered at the sharp end of the premier league.

Realistically, if a PL best squad was to be formed, there wouldn't be a United player in there.

Basically, they're Liverpool circa. 2009/10. They need to rebuild for the third consecutive summer and could well struggle to get anybody of high quality and in their prime.

Wait and see what Mourinho does when he takes over but I've a feeling it would be another year of transition (like Chelsea 2013-14) next season before United can be near the top.

Or they could slide. Like Liverpool.

OK maybe not now but as you said, there's a lot of potential in that team. I still hold my ground that Smalling would make it into the top CB's in the league and is also in my opinion, a clear starter in the England team alongside Stones.

Smalling is no longer as one of the best in the Premier League and he is sometimes solely to blame for most of the goals, and he would fall outside of even the top 10 as compared to; Koscielny, Alderweireid, Otamendi, Zouma, Vertonghan, Sakho, Shawcross, Cahill, Stones etc.

For Martial he is potential to be the best but for currently that isn't the case.
Martial, for me at least, has shown that he's reached the level of some of the best strikers in the league (Vardy, Aguero, Kane, Lukaku). Some of his play is incredible in terms of dribbles and finishing.

Nice to see you back @Ross, haven't seen you on here in ages!

Thanks! I've been quite tied up with college but still logging on to check PM's. Wouldn't get used to my presence, I'm on my half term break and actually have some spare time right now :lol:

Smalling is a good shout for England yes, but is comfortably behind quite a lot of other CB's in the league.

Not counting Kompany, because he's been injured, I'd say the Arsenal and Spurs pairs, as well as players like Huth, Shawcross etc. Have all been more consistent this season.

Also a shout out to Jose Fonte and Virgil Van Dyke if they keep up their recent clean sheet records for Southampton.

Going forward, Martial is nowhere near the level of the 4 you mentioned, granted they all have different strengths, but I wouldn't have him above any of those 4, or Costa, Ighalo, maybe even Giroud. Iheanacho has shown more potential in the small time he's got IMO.

The position that United actually have top quality in is at GK, De Gea is up there with Butland, Lloris, Cech, Forster and last seasons Courtois, but realistically a keeper won't make that much difference unless they're Neuer or replacing a bad keeper.

But yeah, I'd have no United players in a Premier League XI or 18-man squad. They're in 5th for a reason.

Also, welcome back.:P

Smalling is a good shout for England yes, but is comfortably behind quite a lot of other CB's in the league.

Not counting Kompany, because he's been injured, I'd say the Arsenal and Spurs pairs, as well as players like Huth, Shawcross etc. Have all been more consistent this season.

Also a shout out to Jose Fonte and Virgil Van Dyke if they keep up their recent clean sheet records for Southampton.

Going forward, Martial is nowhere near the level of the 4 you mentioned, granted they all have different strengths, but I wouldn't have him above any of those 4, or Costa, Ighalo, maybe even Giroud. Iheanacho has shown more potential in the small time he's got IMO.

The position that United actually have top quality in is at GK, De Gea is up there with Butland, Lloris, Cech, Forster and last seasons Courtois, but realistically a keeper won't make that much difference unless they're Neuer or replacing a bad keeper.

But yeah, I'd have no United players in a Premier League XI or 18-man squad. They're in 5th for a reason.

Also, welcome back.:P
My counter to that is that Smalling has been consistently good over the past 2 seasons or so. His form's only slightly dropped off in the past few games.

Martial for me brings dribbling and actually beating defenders on his own into the equation. You could talk about Kane and Aguero's finishing, Vardy's pace and Lukaku's strength but for me at least, Martial would be in my EPL XI this season so far on the left of a frontline in a 4-3-3 alongside Kane and Vardy.

We're in 5th because of the manager in my opinion. His style of football doesn't suit the players that we have. We have some very creative players like Martial, Memphis, Mata, Herrera but I feel they're being restricted by LVG's boring possession game.

Martial for me brings dribbling and actually beating defenders on his own into the equation. You could talk about Kane and Aguero's finishing, Vardy's pace and Lukaku's strength but for me at least, Martial would be in my EPL XI this season so far on the left of a frontline in a 4-3-3 alongside Kane and Vardy.
I am quite confused in why Van Gaal bought in Martial as he is being used a left winger when he as Depay at his disposal. At the left winger position, I would either have Sanchez, Sterling or Son. All of these players have out performed Martial in that position.

Your position in the league is also based on that you really don't have any players which are outstanding. You have Mata who is playing the right wing position with no pace and you are playing Herrera in the deep midfield role while Fellaini is playing as playmaker. Players are totally oblivious in the roles they are given.

I am quite confused in why Van Gaal bought in Martial as he is being used a left winger when he as Depay at his disposal. At the left winger position, I would either have Sanchez, Sterling or Son. All of these players have out performed Martial in that position.

Your position in the league is also based on that you really don't have any players which are outstanding. You have Mata who is playing the right wing position with no pace and you are playing Herrera in the deep midfield role while Fellaini is playing as playmaker. Players are totally oblivious in the roles they are given.
I must be the only one that doesn't rate Sterling at all. 9 out of 10 times he tries to take the ball forward he loses it. Memphis is very right footed though so it would actually make more sense for him to play on the right hand side. Sanchez I would have more as a number 10. And Son is a very good shout actually. He adds another dimension to Spurs' game.

In terms of players that aren't outstanding, again this comes down to LVG. Mata is suited to a number 10 role hence why he hasn't got any pace, Herrera is also a 10 but when played as a CDM with Mata in 10 something clicks and we play a lot better. The less said about Fellaini the better really :lol:

Schedule for tomorrow

4pm
Lokomotiv Moscow v Fenerbahce

6pm
Athletic Bilbao v Marseille
Bayer Leverkusen v Sporting Lisbon
Krasnodar v Sparta Prague
Lazio v Galatasaray
Liverpool v Augsburg
Rapid Vienna v Valencia
Schalke v Shakhtar Donetsk

8.05pm
Basel v St Etienne
Man United v Midtjylland
Molde v Sevilla
Napoli v Villarreal
Olympiakos v Anderlecht
Porto v Borussia Dortmund
Tottenham v Fiorentina

Braga v Sion is on now and its 0-0....

Braga and Sion ends 2-2, Braga are the first team through.

At least this time the game is an 8pm kick off so I can actually watch. Although after listening on the radio to the first leg I'm not sure if I'll actually want to!!

Big games for all the English teams tonight, I feeling pretty confident (very quietly confident!) about United, if we get the first goal then we'll be fine but if the Danes get it then we are in serious trouble!

Spurs and Liverpool have some work to do also after draws in their first legs.

Liverpool are through. 1-0 on aggregate. Villareal put 10 past Rapid over 2 legs.

Martial also pulled up during the warm up and is out of the match.

1-0 down.... we need to net the ball 3 times to go through.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Manchester has all the chances, Midtjylland scores.

I really thought Man U would steamroll this one.

Heavens. Even if they do end up scoring the three they need, to be in this position at all is lamentably poor.

Man U just equalised. And it really is a squad of meh. It says something when Depay is the one to fear.

Aaaaaaaaaand Mata misses a penalty.

Last edited:
In all fairness it was a decent penalty but the keeper made a good save. Mata's heads in a bad place and I think its hard to break that under LVG.

I know Midtjylland aren't exactly the toughest of opponents, but it appears Memphis has woken from a six-month coma tonight.

He did put in a hell of a performance, unfortunately it'll probably follow with 4 rubbish games but that performance is what was expected by everyone under SAF.

Fantastic second half performance, Memphis was incredible, what a night for Marcus Rashford, made his debut at 18, started after Martial picked up an injury in the warm up (:rolleyes::mad:), scored twice, unbelievable stuff, on to Arsenal on Sunday, hopefully we will have some players back!

Good night all round for the English, Spurs won 3-0 to go through 4-1 and Liverpool had a narrow 1-0 win to go through 1-0.

Last 16 draw is Mid-day tomorrow.

He did put in a hell of a performance, unfortunately it'll probably follow with 4 rubbish games but that performance is what was expected by everyone under SAF.

I think that the step from Mickey Mouse league to top tier EPL was a step too big for Depay. He needs to realise that every game needs to be won when playing for the top in the world. And it's not just him. Most of the squad seems to be lacking the will to win, most of the time.

But. Finally some sparkling football.

image.png
image.jpeg

Haven't watched Leverkusen in quite a bit but really impressed with Bellarabi. Running the show against Sporting.

And, what a ending to the Basel-St Etienne match. Zuffi grabbing the winner in the last minute to level on aggregate (4-4) but proceeding on away goals. Embolo sending off, could be a big blow if they get an unlucky draw.

I'm struggling to see a side better than Spurs there. Maybe Dortmund, if they defended sometimes.
Dortmund, Shakhtar, Leverkusen.

Dortmund if they have the likes of Aubemeyang, Reus, Mkhitarian, Gundogan, Hummels, Sokratis, Bender all fit then they will be the stronger side.

Shakhter even though they don't have Teixiera. Marlos, Taison and Ferreyra are always a threat plus they have been quite solid at the back.

Leverkusen have been on and off but on their day they can be unbeatable. So as long Tah & Toprak will defend properly and attacking wise with Hernandez on form plus Bellarabi with the pace who cuts in and Calhanoglu who is like a mini Ozil and shooting of Juninho who can score from almost any dead ball situation.

This top 3 plus Spurs are my top picks to win.

Liverpool and Man Utd.

Borussia Dortmund v Tottenham.

Ouch

• Shakhtar Donetsk v Anderlecht
  • FC Basel v Sevilla
  • Villarreal v Bayer Leverkusen
  • Athletic Bilbao v Valencia

• Shakhtar Donetsk v Anderlecht
  • FC Basel v Sevilla
  • Villarreal v Bayer Leverkusen
  • Athletic Bilbao v Valencia
  • Liverpool v Manchester United
  • Sparta Prague v Lazio
  • Borussia Dortmund v Tottenham
  • Fenerbahce v Braga
Full Draw
Going be some fun games. :D

Dortmund, Shakhtar, Leverkusen.

Dortmund if they have the likes of Aubemeyang, Reus, Mkhitarian, Gundogan, Hummels, Sokratis, Bender all fit then they will be the stronger side.

Shakhter even though they don't have Teixiera. Marlos, Taison and Ferreyra are always a threat plus they have been quite solid at the back.

Leverkusen have been on and off but on their day they can be unbeatable. So as long Tah & Toprak will defend properly and attacking wise with Hernandez on form plus Bellarabi with the pace who cuts in and Calhanoglu who is like a mini Ozil and shooting of Juninho who can score from almost any dead ball situation.

This top 3 plus Spurs are my top picks to win.
I'd say that two games contain the 4 favourites. Dortmund-Spurs and Villareal-Leverkusen.

Don't think Shakhtar are good enough.

Also, Sevilla are pretty good.

I'd say that two games contain the 4 favourites. Dortmund-Spurs and Villareal-Leverkusen.

Don't think Shakhtar are good enough.

Also, Sevilla are pretty good.
Agreed about Sevilla especially with Konplyanka, Gameiro, Banega and Krychowiak. All underrated talents.

Back