2015 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter GTPorsche
  • 478 comments
I'm not saying it was a small crash by any means, but I reckon the car sliding in and hitting the wall sideways made the crash not as bad as it could have been. The flipping was spectacular, but there wasn't any real major hits

A negotiating tactic, maybe? "Give us parity or we'll disrupy qualifying session"?

Seems like an effective measure.

As much as Rosberg whinges, he definitely does knuckle down and do the hard yards analyzing data and the like behind the scenes, in comparison to his teammate.

How so, the tabloids want you to think that Lewis is a party boy that just magically knows how to drive the car fast day in and day out. When in reality he even said himself after last season, that his biggest upset was in quali, and thus he would need to analyze and study that in lieu to next season (2015). He did just that and he's already secured the pole trophy that his team mate won last year. He's gotten much better at Monaco as well, Lewis studies as much as Nico contrary to the media's portrayal.

Whoops 1.PNG Whoops 2.PNG Whoops.PNG
:(
No chance that chassis will be ready for the red lights tomorrow. Entire sidepod was ripped clean off. Drivetrain, gearbox and crash structures would of been weakened or destroyed in the crash :(

He gave an interview with Sky after Singapore where he said that he sat down with the team and went over the data to figure out what happened. He also said that Hamilton wasn't there at the time, implying in equal parts that Hamilton had his own session with the team to address the turbo clamp issue ... or that he's a lazy bugger who let everyone else figure out what happened.

Say what you will about him; Nico Rosberg is very good at playing with media expectations.

Not very good Q3 first run by both Mercedes drivers, car looked like it was good enough to get into the 1:31's. Good to see Daniil is fine, disappointing that it stopped the climax of hammer time though.

Source required ;)
The F1 Show or one of the pre-race shows mentioned that he stayed in Singapore to meticulously go over the data with his engineers to ensure what happened doesn't happen again. Meanwhile, Hamilton flew to Japan to take in the sights!

The F1 Show or one of the pre-race shows mentioned that he stayed in Singapore to meticulously go over the data with his engineers to ensure what happened doesn't happen again. Meanwhile, Hamilton flew to Japan to take in the sights!

So they didn't say the following outside your own inference;

NW48
the definitely does knuckle down and do the hard yards analyzing data and the like behind the scenes, in comparison to his teammate.

So they didn't say the following outside your own inference;
That's basically a direct translation in my eyes. It might just be a one off, but that does show that Rosberg is prepared to go over data rather than go off sightseeing.

Now, maybe Hamilton thought getting away from F1 for a few days could help, but I dunno. But it certainly seems like he knuckles down behind the scenes.

I'm sorry but no way Lewis becomes that fast by not working hard behind the scenes and analyze date himself. All drivers do that.
I don't know - Anthony Davidson and Martin Brundle was looking at Ricciardo and Kvyat during FP3, particularly in the way Kvyat was trying to follow Ricciardo's lead into the Denger corners. They noted that at a circuit like Suzuka, the naturally-talented drivers come up to speed quickly whereas others have to work to find lap time.

There's no doubt that Hamilton works hard to get where he is. Rosberg's suggestion is that given the circumstances in Singapore, extra work was needed to understand the problem - and that Hamilton didn't follow up on it.

Verstappen also got a 3 place grid penalty for "parking his car in an unsafe position".
Next time he should push his car out of the way????

Bit mixed news from this, he apparently first went to the left and then went back to the right according the stewards. Which seems very strange to me.

Anyway he can overtake.

I don't know - Anthony Davidson and Martin Brundle was looking at Ricciardo and Kvyat during FP3, particularly in the way Kvyat was trying to follow Ricciardo's lead into the Denger corners. They noted that at a circuit like Suzuka, the naturally-talented drivers come up to speed quickly whereas others have to work to find lap time.

There's no doubt that Hamilton works hard to get where he is. Rosberg's suggestion is that given the circumstances in Singapore, extra work was needed to understand the problem - and that Hamilton didn't follow up on it.

"according to Nico" but fair enough

In regards to Hamilton leaving for Tokyo early, they said on Sky that it was because of a sponsor/media commitment.

With only a 1 week turn around between Singapore and Japan, coupled with how popular F1 is on Japan, those kind of media and sponsor engagements are booked months in advance. Mercedes didn't know Singapore would require such an extensive debrief. Yes, they could have canceled plans (if there were actually any), but perhaps the team decided it was best to do things the way they did.

None of us will really know. The comments trying to paint Lewis as lazy or spoiled or whatever it may be are 100% speculative and come across as quite petty if I'm honest.

So Nico's studying gave him .07 advantage over Lewis, who had a good amount of lockup into the hairpin. Im sure they both study the data very hard. But Lewis has an edge on Nico 11-2 in qualifying. Lets see how the race goes. I like Lewis in 2nd because theres more of a chance for a fight for 1st, kinda like last year's Japanese GP ;)

Verstappen also got a 3 place grid penalty for "parking his car in an unsafe position".
Next time he should push his car out of the way????

Bit mixed news from this, he apparently first went to the left and then went back to the right according the stewards. Which seems very strange to me.

Anyway he can overtake.
He was going to pull off to the left, but decided to drive across to the racing line to park it.

He was going to pull off to the left, but decided to drive across to the racing line to park it.

That's what I've read as well, as mentioned in my first post.
Is there any footage of it? Seems very strange to do that.

I don't know why he decided to go back to the right. I believe there's a marshal post just on the left of the hairpin exit.. which is closer than the one he had to walk to.

Does Japanese TV still handle the world feed? There's something off with the framerate.
Feed for me is good, probably one of the best I've had this season.

Maybe it was just a momentary issue. I noticed some jittering.

I will say the quality is like I'm watching in HD but I don't have NBCSN available in HD.

I noticed too that the feed seemed extra smooth, and much more detail was present. The sense of speed was captured much better than at most tracks too. Maybe Suzuka just has great vantage points, and the Japanese lighting helps with TV feeds. Whatever it is, I hope this quality of TV feed is here to stay!

That's what I've read as well, as mentioned in my first post.
Is there any footage of it? Seems very strange to do that.

Probably to make sure of a yellow. Other drivers near or in the drop zone were on laps that could have knocked him out.

Probably to make sure of a yellow. Other drivers near or in the drop zone were on laps that could have knocked him out.

In Schumacher's early days yellows might have been a chance/arbitrary call, i'm pretty sure that any driver would simply expect it nowadays, either off to the left of that exit or on the right.

Still, he may have been thinking that ;)

Could be, but a yellow was gonna happen anyway.

Hopefully he can make some nice passes again tomorrow. Will be harder on this track with his Renault engine.

He'll get the Manor cars, and the McLarens without any doubt. Playing strategy right, he could potentially get into the points again.

Back