2015 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 3,710 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely concur.

I've been pessimistic since they announced such a "radical" idea. To be honest, I knew it was coming when they hired that nut head Ben Bowlby. Did Nissan not have a look at the Delta Wing? It has never worked in so many years of existence.
It's not successful, but it does indeed work.

Stay classy Nissan.👎👎 Merry F'n Christmas http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/124746-wec-nissan-quits-lmp1

Nissan has axed its troubled FIA World Endurance LMP1 Program. The Japanese manufacturer alerted employees via e-mail Tuesday morning the Indianapolis-based front-engine GT-R LM NISMO P1 hybrid program has been shuttered. Most employees were on holiday at the time, and according to one team source, those attempting to enter the building found access codes had changed and were locked out.

B4195A8A-5009-481A-8567-F952637623EE_zpsz2hmqe8r.jpg

More of a failure than the AMR-One considering that made it to more than one race?

Nissan's cancellation of it's LMP1 programme is massively disappointing but it has not exactly come as a great surprise. I was really hoping they could be at least relatively competitive in 2016. If a company of Nissan's experience could not make the package work then it tells you something.

For WEC 2016 I was always going to be a Toyota diehard but I was ready to support Nissan too. Just nowhere near as much as Toyota obviously!

Last edited:
It started 1 race...
He's talking about the Delta Wing.

If a company of Nissan's experience could not make the package work then it tells you something. I disagree with @R1600Turbo saying it works as Nissan would hardly abandon a programme into which it has invested significant time and money and have it seen as a failure which for a short period may have a detrimental impact on it's reputation.
I was also talking about the Delta Wing.

That's too bad. I wasn't much of a fan, and wondered if the concept was just a little too radical to succeed, but it was nice to see Nissan at least attempting something different in the face of the same old from Audi year after year. Sure, it was also ugly as could be, but that too would've changed in 2016 with Audi's new car on the grid!

If what @IforceV8 posted is true, that's the worst part of the story. 👎

Next step: Nissan tries to purge it out of their history by removing all evidences of the car from Nismo official channel (this also removing the Super Bowl ad from Nissan's official channel) and asking game developers that has the GT-R LMP1 (PD, Firemonkey, Turn 10) to remove the car from their games. [retracted]

:grumpy:

Last edited:
I get the feeling this program only existed because of Darren Cox and when it was announced that he left, I had the most unconfortable feeling this program was on the chopping block.

Edit: quote after he was contacted directly:

"I walked. On my own terms. Couldn't do anymore than I had already. You know how it is in big companies."

Can't help but feel like that reeks of butting heads. I am curious about GT Academy now that the biggest motivator has been removed.

Last edited:
I get the feeling this program only existed because of Darren Cox and when it was announced that he left, I had the most unconfortable feeling this program was on the chopping block.
A lot of stuff has been (CTSCC entries for one). I don't have a good feeling about the V8SC program either. I also see a mass reduction in GT Academy contests in the near future.

More of a failure than the AMR-One considering that made it to more than one race?
Yes, but the Cosworth V6 engine was good atleast.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/12/22/71639.html

However the timing of the announcement (posted only on the corporate website and not released pro-actively), three days before Christmas with most of the team already taking a well-earned vacation, does leave a bitter taste.

Make no mistake the Nissan team worked very hard indeed on this programme and the decision released today sees around 40 of them leave the company’s employ. Emails to each of them minutes before the official release asking for the return of company equipment and an apparent early morning visit from a Nissan rep to the team’s Indianapolis base to change the door codes show little respect for the loyalty and long, long hours shown by these people.

The Nissan at least made it past 12 hours at Le Mans. ;)

And it was with a unproven hybrid/petrol mid-engine/FF drivetrain layout combination, which wasn't guaranteed to work the first time unlike the same old RWD, petrol mid-engine layout that damn near everyone has gotten a good hold of.

Last edited:
A damn shame. The Nissan was the most exciting proposition since the Deltawing. I was really hoping to see what it could do when working to its full potential. I'm glad I got to see it race, even if I use the term "race" quite loosely; it was certainly the most interersting car at Le Mans this year.

I wasn't much of a fan, and wondered if the concept was just a little too radical to succeed, but it was nice to see Nissan at least attempting something different in the face of the same old from Audi year after year.
Honestly, I think that the biggest problem with the car was that it was radical for the sake of being radical. It didn't help that Nissan seemed intent on mismanaging the project from the start - common sense dictates that they should have developed the petrol-hybrid engine in a conventional platform until they knew the ins and outs of it, and then applied it to the chassis they wanted to use, rather than trying to do it all at once.

Honestly, I think that the biggest problem with the car was that it was radical for the sake of being radical. It didn't help that Nissan seemed intent on mismanaging the project from the start - common sense dictates that they should have developed the petrol-hybrid engine in a conventional platform until they knew the ins and outs of it, and then applied it to the chassis they wanted to use, rather than trying to do it all at once.

And it wasn't like they couldn't build engines - LMP2 and (recently) LMP3 have been top performers for Nissan recently.

Should have seen it coming when Cox left the program, that was the proverbial beginning of the end.

And please, saying it "competed" at Le Mans is almost insulting. It was barely faster than the LMP2s in qualifying and almost 20 seconds a lap down on the fastest Audis and Porsches, one car started the race 5 laps later than everyone else and all 3 spent arguably more time in the pits than on the track. That's hardly competing, especially considering the budget and press this program received.

Were the GTs any faster against the Nissan LMP1, by the way? :confused:
No the Nissan without it's hybrid system was doing better than the LMP2's by a skosh. Incredible considering the **** the brakes were going through with, by the dust amounts, appeared to be a 80/20 bias. :crazy:

I think the Renault back in F1 might have something to do with this. No that's not solely the reason, but that eats up a large portion of motorsport budget. Also theres Nismo in Japan being mostly left out until too late. We see what they can do in Super GT GT500. They should have based operations in Japan or Europe. At least closer to 'home'. This reminds me a bit of HPD vs Honda in Japan.

Reactions: Bo
96 laps at Castellet. At least they entered more than one and should we bring up the zeod :)
Which was only designed for LeMans and had gearbox failure, which, let's be honest, happens to the best of them. But there's no doubt in my mind you'll nit pick at every little thing they do since that's just how you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back