2015 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 512 comments
Vetel looks happy at Ferarri. Finally Ferarri seem to be able to keep up witht the mercedes. Looks like it's going to be a good season this year unlike last year a bit of competition. I enjoyed that race a lot of action happened throughout the whole race. Alonso made a bad move moving to Mclaren he will probably be in the 24hour le man next year :P

Has Vettel been let off the pr leash like Hamilton when he moved from McLaren, he looks more comfortable.

Vettel is living a childhood dream, he doesnt care about PR or anything. He's where he want to be since he's a child.

Auriverde not kind with kimi : "we have one good driver". Probably not meant like that, but just show how Vettel is good at getting others around him to focus on him.

untitled-4u5osd.gif

Ballsy drive. Glad I stayed up. Shame about Raikkonen and McLaren, but hopefully Kimi and more teams can challenge Mercedes. O.o

Great day of racing. Happy to see the Mercedes boys have some competition, even as a fan. It's a great thing for the sport and hopefully those guys over at Ferrari can keep it up, while others join them in the fight. Hopefully.

Not only was the battle for the podium hot, though, there was a lot of action throughout the field. Hugely refreshing after the Australian Grand Prix. Very good stuff, hopefully we get razing like this as the season goes on.

That was such a great feeling because I completely didn't expect such an action-packed race to come so early this season. I felt tiny goosebumps here and there from one tight battle for position to another!

It's nice to see the big bad empire getting back on the top again for once, and mainly through the use of such brilliant strategies and driving too, instead of a case of having the superior car! What a win. I've never been a big Vettel fan, but I have to admit he was impressive and his joy after the victory was infectious. Very pleased to hear the spirited Italian national anthem again too. It has really been a while since the last time I heard those catchy notes...

Perhaps not wholly a happy occasion for the whole Ferrari team, it seems Raikkonen's not happy with his result. But I suppose he's often been that down-to-earth in interviews, he won't say it's a truly positive outcome if he's not getting the podium...

By pitting both Mercs during the safety car period after only 4 racing laps, Hamilton become trapped behind traffic while Rosberg lost even more time having to wait for Hamilton's service to be completed. Once Hamilton cleared everyone, he was ten seconds behind Vettel. For Rosberg, he ended up where he would've finished anyways. As for Hamilton, he ended up about ten seconds behind Vettel at the end.

The joys of retrospection.

Perhaps not wholly a happy occasion for the whole Ferrari team, it seems Raikkonen's not happy with his result. But I suppose he's often been that down-to-earth in interviews, he won't say it's a truly positive outcome if he's not getting the podium...
And I believe he said his first lap was... Ummm... s:censored:t.

@legacyMACHINE

Ahh, and that just reminded me of something.

I hope the FOM and FIA won't be making so much of a big deal about the questionable choices of words surrounding this race. Peter Sauber also said the s-word and Vettel used a word that is colloquially more synonymous with urinating to describe having lots of beer.

They probably won't. The only one most people will have heard is from Vettel, and I doubt a casual F1 viewer will complain to Ofcom or whoever it is for other Countries.

I hope so. I suppose a lot of people already expressed the opinion that the reprimand given after Vettel's and Raikkonen's profanity on the 2012 Abu Dhabi GP podium was just too much and unnecessary, and they will now understand that it's best not to make a fuss about such things...

Now after all that...let's get back to reality. As you've seen this is a great day. But everyone is jumping a gun that shouldn't be jumped and one that wasn't when RBR won a couple races that weren't due to Merc breakdowns but bad Merc calls because the giant thought it was too big.

Same case here, they have the power but they are one limited by their world to when they can fully use it and two at times step on their own toes and provide a way for others to get at them. Now I will say Ferrari do indeed seem stronger than that of what RBR were last year. However, there sheer strength of Mercedes is still very much there and the nature of this weekend harmed Mercedes as well, but we'll see what really happens when China and Bahrain hit.

This race certainly gave a light of hope. A notion that the Mercedes team isn't as invulnerable as we thought it would be. (or at least as I thought it would be, especially after getting the info that the gap between the Mercedes cars and the rest of the field in Melbourne qualifying was more than in any other races last year...) And if we cling to that hope, there's more potential to have disappointment after less exciting races among the upcoming rounds...

Let's remember that Mercedes is certainly still having the best car, and they still have the potential to dominate...

I really wanted to see how Verstappen got out of his car, seeing how Vettel, Hamilton and Rosberg all looked completely knackered.

Edit.

Great photo.

m1oxpaqau3x4_wd640.jpg

The plusses and minuses of the race:

+Ferrari; We've seen they can win now, the racing appears to be much more interesting this year, but nothing can be said just yet. It's still great to see at least some kind of battle for the win, though.
+Räikkönen; From the last place to 4th that's still quite an achievement, now all he needs to do is improve the qualifying performance.
+Manor; Yes Manor, the fact they finished is an achievement on it's own for the team.
-Ericson; An embarrasing mistake killed a promising race for him before it even started properly.
-McLaren Honda; Worse result than Manor's. They may be faster, but the results page doesn't lie, their power units list is getting shorter and shorter.
-Red Bull; Worse than Torro Rosso, which clearly isn't worse than McLaren, but still quite bad for the main team.

Last edited:
By pitting both Mercs during the safety car period after only 4 racing laps, Hamilton become trapped behind traffic while Rosberg lost even more time having to wait for Hamilton's service to be completed. Once Hamilton cleared everyone, he was ten seconds behind Vettel. For Rosberg, he ended up where he would've finished anyways. As for Hamilton, he ended up about ten seconds behind Vettel at the end.

The joys of retrospection.

I thought the same thing

Now after all that...let's get back to reality. As you've seen this is a great day. But everyone is jumping a gun that shouldn't be jumped and one that wasn't when RBR won a couple races that weren't due to Merc breakdowns but bad Merc calls because the giant thought it was too big.

Same case here, they have the power but they are one limited by their world to when they can fully use it and two at times step on their own toes and provide a way for others to get at them. Now I will say Ferrari do indeed seem stronger than that of what RBR were last year. However, there sheer strength of Mercedes is still very much there and the nature of this weekend harmed Mercedes as well, but we'll see what really happens when China and Bahrain hit.

I too doubt the Ferraris will be this close to the Mercs again (hope I am wrong), Ferrari might have the best driver line-up which helps. They're more closer than RBR and Williams last year though.

No Nico didn't have cars ahead of him, he had cars behind him and he backed off, i know this because the camera was focused on him the enitre time(Massa passed him on T3, as rosberg was cruising the entire lap, thats why he was just ahead at the start of the clip)

there was no one else around when he blocked Hamilton as well.
You're right that Massa passed Rosberg at turn three; I remembered otherwise for some reason. But Massa, and the Sauber that was in front of him, didn't just disappear into thin air afterwards. They were just up the road and once he dispatched of Rosberg, Hamilton had to make a decision about how to deal with them. He decided to abort.

If it was Nico 'blocking' him that ruined his lap, why didn't Lewis back out of it right after that corner? Because had he lost time from that he would have seen it on his lap delta. In case you're not aware that is a reading on the drivers steering wheel that keeps them informed of their current advantage/deficit over the fastest time of the session at that point. No doubt Lewis glanced down at this after negotiating Nico, and saw he'd not lost a serious amount of time; which is why he didn't take it easy going down the following straight.

Honestly if you're looking for a suitable candidate for Nico bashing, try his indecisiveness in passing cars today. Yet again. But yesterdays 'incident' really is a complete non-issue.

I really wanted to see how Verstappen got out of his car, seeing how Vettel, Hamilton and Rosberg all looked completely knackered.

It's amazing that a 17-year old does this great in what is arguably the physically hardest race of the season.

Colour me stunned by Max' performance so far. Would you mind sending Jos over the border and get a child here so we might have a decent driver in F1 as well at some point in the future?

It's amazing that a 17-year old does this great in what is arguably the physically hardest race of the season.

Colour me stunned by Max' performance so far. Would you mind sending Jos over the border and get a child here so we might have a decent driver in F1 as well at some point in the future?
To be fair any driver who can spin a car into his pit box is pretty decent in my book! :lol:

I hope Max shuts up the rule introduced to restrict F1 to 18 and over after this season. Age is just a number...

Back