• 306 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
Discuss.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/17/2016-nissan-maxima-spy-shots/

Nissan-Maxima-Spy-Shots-001.jpg

Man, all of these cars are getting huge. The Maxima was a little too much like the Altima though. Makes sense to give it more room for rear passengers.

Man, all of these cars are getting huge. The Maxima was a little too much like the Altima though. Makes sense to give it more room for rear passengers.
Having been around this new car for a while, at one point there was one parked next to a current gen Altima and to be honest they looked to be the same size. I don't know what the actual dimensions are though.

What I want to know is who the hell buys a Maxima. It's like almost 50 grand.

What I want to know is who the hell buys a Maxima. It's like almost 50 grand.

They do make it in a really cool brown color. So, that's like, totally worth it, right?

The sad thing is that for years before the 2001 re-design of the Altima, I assumed the Maxima was the mid-sized car for Nissan. Now I have no idea what role it serves.

Looks awful. After the huge mess that was the 6th gen, and the great leap forward that was the 7th gen, this thing looks like another step back.

The current Avalon is actually a pretty good car. There just doesn't seem to be much of a market right now for big, plush sedans. Especially ones that don't carry a premium badge.

I haven't paid the Avalon attention since I left Toyota in 2010. But to see the Maxima go from rwd to the 160hp Sport Sedan of 1990 and then to the 350Z style in 2004, I'm a bit disappointed with it getting bigger.

The last Maxima here in Australia, is toned down from the USA version.

The current Avalon is actually a pretty good car. There just doesn't seem to be much of a market right now for big, plush sedans. Especially ones that don't carry a premium badge.

But all your Canadian snowbird friends just love them. The Avalon sells like hotcakes down here. Old jewish people love them. Rich Haitian and Windies expats love them. It's a good car. Probably the best thing Toyota makes.

But all your Canadian snowbird friends just love them. The Avalon sells like hotcakes down here. Old jewish people love them. Rich Haitian and Windies expats love them. It's a good car. Probably the best thing Toyota makes.

That's strange, up here you're more likely to see an Audi R8 or a 911 then an Avalon.:lol:

I haven't paid the Avalon attention since I left Toyota in 2010. But to see the Maxima go from rwd to the 160hp Sport Sedan of 1990 and then to the 350Z style in 2004, I'm a bit disappointed with it getting bigger.

The last Maxima here in Australia, is toned down from the USA version.

If you want a sporty Max, that's basically the new Altima. The Maxima is going maxi-pad sized to attract more of the maxi-pad wearing geriatric set, and there's no way of reversing that.

If you want a sporty Max, that's basically the new Altima. The Maxima is going maxi-pad sized to attract more of the maxi-pad wearing geriatric set, and there's no way of reversing that.
:lol:

When I saw the Altima at the NYIAS on its debut years ago, I was blown away. 180hp? Manual? Maxima V6? Who needs a Maxima?

so i guess that's to see who can put the driver to sleep the quickest.
You guys might be surprised by the new one then. By no means is it "plush" or huge in size. Its hardly bigger than an Altima. Not surprising since its built on the same platform.

Looking at the numbers, the current Max is actually slightly shorter than the Altima, with less interior room, but still more weight.

It won't make sense for the upcoming Maxima to debut at the same size, so Nissan has no choice but to go upmarket or cancel the line.

The interior is fantastic really. Nissan still using the "4DSC" designation so it's all about being sporty. Unfortunately the CVT isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The interior is fantastic really. Nissan still using the "4DSC" designation so it's all about being sporty. Unfortunately the CVT isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Why don't they just re-develop the CVT to behave like that from the Corolla S? Being able to behave like that of an automatic transmission by itself with 7 simulated gears? It would probably be better than the current XTRONIC CVT...

They should stop. They stopped with the 3th gen but many could argue that 4th and 5th were still worthy of the tag.

Yes, the 4DSC! I remember when it was named the 4door Skyline because of the redesigned taillights and it's "TIRE SHREADING 222hp!"(I think Integras had 200hp). One of my cousins had one. Quick car.

They should stop. They stopped with the 3th gen but many could argue that 4th and 5th were still worthy of the tag.
I think it's a bit premature to say that without driving it. I have, but they were early prototypes so I won't comment just yet as everything could change.

Why don't they just re-develop the CVT to behave like that from the Corolla S? Being able to behave like that of an automatic transmission by itself with 7 simulated gears? It would probably be better than the current XTRONIC CVT...

Gimmick.

Honestly, you use a stepped mode maybe for the first few days you have the car, then you stop using it forever.

There are two issues that need to be resolved with the CVT:

"Soft" gear engagement and rubbery power transmission - which really isn't all that big a problem now that many CVTs use lock-up clutches and torque converters. I drove the Altima for a week and had absolutely no issues with the transmission... gearchanges kicked just like DCT or Torque Converter gear changes. Power was everywhere. I gave up on manual mode after just one or two thrashes, because I could just bury my foot and powerboat everywhere. Hell, I liked it better than the 6AT in the Accord. Feels weird to you? Feels like a one second difference on the drag strip, is what it feels like to me. All the torques. All the times.

Slurring - which is the bigger issue, nowadays... and happens when the transmission gets to hot and performance suffers. Supposedly Subuaru has addressed this with the WRX by adding additional transmission coolers. But then again, this is also an issue with traditional automatics and even dual clutches. The GT-R transmission reportedly tends to go into limp mode if you track it too long, and I've seen the Mitsubishi DCT (on those turbocharged four door thingamajigs they somehow still sell... :lol: ) overheat and go into limp mode, as well.

-

Droning... not so much of an issue unless you actually cruise at 120 mph all day (in which case, whatever else you are driving would be droning, too :D )... the Altima CVT has a long enough final ratio that it cruises at pretty low rpm.

Back