2016 Nissan Maxima

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 306 comments
Gimmick.

Honestly, you use a stepped mode maybe for the first few days you have the car, then you stop using it forever.

There are two issues that need to be resolved with the CVT:

"Soft" gear engagement and rubbery power transmission - which really isn't all that big a problem now that many CVTs use lock-up clutches and torque converters. I drove the Altima for a week and had absolutely no issues with the transmission... gearchanges kicked just like DCT or Torque Converter gear changes. Power was everywhere. I gave up on manual mode after just one or two thrashes, because I could just bury my foot and powerboat everywhere. Hell, I liked it better than the 6AT in the Accord. Feels weird to you? Feels like a one second difference on the drag strip, is what it feels like to me. All the torques. All the times.

Slurring - which is the bigger issue, nowadays... and happens when the transmission gets to hot and performance suffers. Supposedly Subuaru has addressed this with the WRX by adding additional transmission coolers. But then again, this is also an issue with traditional automatics and even dual clutches. The GT-R transmission reportedly tends to go into limp mode if you track it too long, and I've seen the Mitsubishi DCT (on those turbocharged four door thingamajigs they somehow still sell... :lol: ) overheat and go into limp mode, as well.

-

Droning... not so much of an issue unless you actually cruise at 120 mph all day (in which case, whatever else you are driving would be droning, too :D )... the Altima CVT has a long enough final ratio that it cruises at pretty low rpm.
Doesn't the XTRONIC CVT use a chain? Or is that a different CVT?

Smaller ones use belts. The Altima's uses a chain. Even the chain drive ones feel like they lose something after a good high-speed blat. But again, that's the same problem many torque converter and dual-clutch boxes have nowadays... with the thinner transmission fluids and oils needed for better economy.

I think it's a bit premature to say that without driving it. I have, but they were early prototypes so I won't comment just yet as everything could change.
Other than the GTR, when was the last time nissan had anything remotely sporty in its lineup?
Certainly wouldn't expect their largest sedan to break that trend.

Other than the GTR, when was the last time nissan had anything remotely sporty in its lineup?

Nissan Juke. Don't forget about the Juke!

RE: CVT

Anyone have any insight on whether or not Honda's pairing of a torque converter to their CVT will improve performance? I haven't driven one yet, I'm curious to see myself.

The goal is to change that with the the Maxima and the Altima facelift so only time will tell. I have driven a current Altima with the MY16 suspension and I thought it was really nice.

Nissan still using the "4DSC" designation so it's all about being sporty.
When the current gen. started to use the 4DSC again, I was wishing that they would have a more powerful/ sportier version. Like the 3rd gen that had the upgraded Nissan Z engine on the higher trim level.

Any info on the engine, will it have the VQ37 or will it still have the VQ35?

The goal is to change that with the the Maxima and the Altima facelift so only time will tell. I have driven a current Altima with the MY16 suspension and I thought it was really nice.
Good to know.

Anyone have any insight on whether or not Honda's pairing of a torque converter to their CVT will improve performance? I haven't driven one yet, I'm curious to see myself.

It's much more positive feeling than the CVT on the first-generation Fit, (which you got, I think, on the Insight), and manual shifts actually feel like... well... shifts. Performance is one or two ticks better than the 5AT on the second-generation Fit, with the same motor. We still get the "120 hp" version of the 1.5. I think you get the new direct injection one.

Only issue is, again... when you've driven it hard for too long, heatsoak sets in and performance suffers.

It's much more positive feeling than the CVT on the first-generation Fit, (which you got, I think, on the Insight), and manual shifts actually feel like... well... shifts. Performance is one or two ticks better than the 5AT on the second-generation Fit, with the same motor. We still get the "120 hp" version of the 1.5. I think you get the new direct injection one.

Only issue is, again... when you've driven it hard for too long, heatsoak sets in and performance suffers.
We get the new DI engine for the Fit here.
When you say "heatsoak", is that term related to overheating? Or is it something like the engine getting so hot to the point it really can't cool itself off, in which it heats up more if you go idle? Which I guess is worse than overheating

We get the new DI engine for the Fit here.
When you say "heatsoak", is that term related to overheating? Or is it something like the engine getting so hot to the point it really can't cool itself off, in which it heats up more if you go idle? Which I guess is worse than overheating

It means, to me, at least, building up enough heat to negatively affect performance, either through unintentional lowering of performance (in transmission terms, slipping or sliding... in engine terms... knocking or pinging so badly that timing is reduced) or intentional lowering of performance (limp mode, or planned reduced power output or slackening of shifting algorithms).

You have to drive like a right idjit to get there. Which we've done, as part of a Time-Distance rally team for Honda a few months back.

It means, to me, at least, building up enough heat to negatively affect performance, either through unintentional lowering of performance (in transmission terms, slipping or sliding... in engine terms... knocking or pinging so badly that timing is reduced) or intentional lowering of performance (limp mode, or planned reduced power output or slackening of shifting algorithms).

You have to drive like a right idjit to get there. Which we've done, as part of a Time-Distance rally team for Honda a few months back.
So pretty much heatsoaking can possibly only be achieved through EXTREME wear and tear?

So pretty much heatsoaking can possibly only be achieved through EXTREME wear and tear?

Nah. Just lots of heat. I've seen DCTs and traditional ATs go into limp mode after just fifteen minutes on the racetrack. I've even seen electric steering racks turn themselves off. Hot car = unhappy car.

Nah. Just lots of heat. I've seen DCTs and traditional ATs go into limp mode after just fifteen minutes on the racetrack. I've even seen electric steering racks turn themselves off. Hot car = unhappy car.
Ahh, I see.
The more you know!

Tested one of these this week. I can say one thing, they haul ass! The new CVT D-step logic is quite nice. Also, unveiling not happening in February like I thought...

Why would anyone want a DCT that steps like an automatic? That defeats the whole purpose of a DCT. Just make the engine climb up to peak HP and keep it there.

Why would anyone want a DCT that steps like an automatic? That defeats the whole purpose of a DCT. Just make the engine climb up to peak HP and keep it there.
Because people complain about that very thing. They say is sounds/feels broken. This is Nissans response to the complaints. It only does it past a certain % of throttle input anyway. Normal driving its a normal CVT.

So you enjoy sub-optimal efficiency? You must be assimilated.

I enjoy a sporty car. Besides, if you are pressing the accelerator far enough to engage the system, efficiency is certainly not on your mind at that moment. If you want to tool around and be "efficient" then don't engage the system. You're obviously not their target audience for the car.

It works pretty well, at least based on my time with that Altima over the summer. Slow-speed driving, stop/go traffic, the CVT works pretty well. The fake gearing is fine, but as someone who knew what it was doing, it seemed a little silly.

Too bad they can't even move to the HR so it's at least be on par with the Impala/Charger as far as power goes.

Too bad they can't even move to the HR so it's at least be on par with the Impala/Charger as far as power goes.

Power figures:

• 2014 Maxima 3.5L is rated at 290hp
  • 2015 Charger 3.6L Pentastar is rated at 292hp
  • 2015 Impala 3.6L is rated at 305hp.

I suspect the 2016 Maxima to be rated at an even 300hp. Doesn't look to far off to me...

Back