2017 F1 Constructor technical info/developmentFormula 1 

....where's the "spectacular"?

Looks like a 2016 car with wider tires.
Except for the rear end:
IMG_7369.JPG

Yep, no likey 👎 :yuck:

I'm just saying it's nothing new it's been a design trait of the car for sometime now and it's due to how small the rear is compared to others because Williams think they size zero gearbox they run is somehow far and beyond others. This leaves a ton of room back there and this is what you get. So I showed this to illustrate it has nothing to do with the new rules just to make it clear.

I love it. Doesn't take much imagination to see how the air flows over the bodywork to that sexy rear wing/diffuser combo. This is a car that looks fast standing still, exactly how F1 cars should be.

A few areas are looking pretty basic, so to me, it's safe to assume this is just a basic rendering and not a representation of what we'll see out on track. For instance, there's no cutouts on the floor and the barge boards are very simplistic. Quite a big undercut on the side pods, though and interesting to note that Williams have taken design ques from Mercedes for the air inlet.

A few areas are looking pretty basic, so to me, it's safe to assume this is just a basic rendering and not a representation of what we'll see out on track. For instance, there's no cutouts on the floor and the barge boards are very simplistic. Quite a big undercut on the side pods, though and interesting to note that Williams have taken design ques from Mercedes for the air inlet.

Pretty much what I see it as too. It looks mostly like the old car just wider, and with a 2017 spec front and back.

williams-2016-front.jpg

williams-2017-front.jpg

still has the "thing thing" in the front. I thought that was done away with.

When did you think that? Williams and McLaren are two that design the nose that way, meaning either it's easier and works, or they haven't found a way to make a narrow nose like a few others that can pass the FIA crash tests.

Most had it last season and for the past two season before that, it's a design structure that has been in the book for a while, just like the platypus nose is still there and has just been a vanity panel since 2013. These rules come up based on last minute safety efforts by the FIA but never actually go away. It's not like competitive rule changes that come and go, if it's a design safety it is most likely there for many many years until something better is thought of.

No, it's a way to ensure that fans and the media are only talking about Williams over the weekend.

And comparing everyone to it since it was the first "released" on a weekend before a week of official releases. As you've noted this is typical of Williams over that past few years to be the first release Digitally.

When did you think that? Williams and McLaren are two that design the nose that way, meaning either it's easier and works, or they haven't found a way to make a narrow nose like a few others that can pass the FIA crash tests.

Most had it last season and for the past two season before that, it's a design structure that has been in the book for a while, just like the platypus nose is still there and has just been a vanity panel since 2013. These rules come up based on last minute safety efforts by the FIA but never actually go away. It's not like competitive rule changes that come and go, if it's a design safety it is most likely there for many many years until something better is thought of.
I remember that was the talk of F1, when teams debuted with who had the biggest. I guess I haven't noticed because all I see is the AMGs during a race. I think the McLaren was a bit more humble than the Williams.

I remember that was the talk of F1, when teams debuted with who had the biggest. I guess I haven't noticed because all I see is the AMGs during a race. I think the McLaren was a bit more humble than the Williams.

How do you see AMG during a race, they were out front so often without racing each other that FOM never showed them. They showed the cars with Pinocchio noses since they tended to be the ones doing the most fighting aka RBR and Ferrari with some STR, Williams in there and the nostril FI.

How do you see AMG during a race, they were out front so often without racing each other that FOM never showed them. They showed the cars with Pinocchio noses since they tended to be the ones doing the most fighting aka RBR and Ferrari with some STR, Williams in there and the nostril FI.
:lol:

In the press photos it doesn't do much to impress, but I do think they'll be more visually interesting to watch in motion.

Williams is the laziest team when it comes to design so it really doesn't surprise me that its "meh". The real fun begins with Ferrari and McLaren.

No, it's a way to ensure that fans and the media are only talking about Williams over the weekend.
Ah sneaky Williams, already knowing they've got a slow car and that they're going to be irrelevant yet again this season. :lol:

Just wanted to comment on that McLaren "leak" from earlier. It's from a company called RealTimeUK and it's just their prediction of what it could look like.

Just wanted to comment on that McLaren "leak" from earlier. It's from a company called RealTimeUK and it's just their prediction of what it could look like.

Damn. So I guess there's still a chance the McLaren will look pants

So Manor could have been saved but more money was asked and thus the situation today where it no longer exists

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/m...m-hurt-manor-collapse/aBeFCnafbIWx4j3bMtOyZJ/

Also Renault claim their power is on par with Ferrari, which indicates to me that if true the RBR and perhaps Toro may perform better than the Ferrari because of better design and equal power. Which is good, cause power tracks will be much easier for RBR than the few years past.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128150/bell-renault-matches-ferrari-power

Sauber launch tonight. Apparently it's online, but I can't find any details of when or where it will happen. Which is an apt metaphor for the team's current state.

What's the bet that they go back to boring grey now that Nasr is out?

Sauber launch tonight. Apparently it's online, but I can't find any details of when or where it will happen. Which is an apt metaphor for the team's current state.

What's the bet that they go back to boring grey now that Nasr is out?

Yeah I've been looking all over myself, good thing the launch on Tuesday will be more professional.

So Manor could have been saved but more money was asked and thus the situation today where it no longer exists

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/m...m-hurt-manor-collapse/aBeFCnafbIWx4j3bMtOyZJ/

Also Renault claim their power is on par with Ferrari, which indicates to me that if true the RBR and perhaps Toro may perform better than the Ferrari because of better design and equal power. Which is good, cause power tracks will be much easier for RBR than the few years past.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128150/bell-renault-matches-ferrari-power
You are making your statement like you have seen the cars on track already and you are certain that Ferrari are way behind! Toro Rosso? Really? They were not that far in '16, they just had a bit of worst luck.

You are making your statement like you have seen the cars on track already and you are certain that Ferrari are way behind! Toro Rosso? Really? They were not that far in '16, they just had a bit of worst luck.

They were behind in 2016 due to the engine...which is the point being made, they ran a year older engine than Ferrari due to Ferrari not wanting them to run a current set up. This year they go back to a current Renault engine like that of the the sister team. Despite having a horrid PU compared to the then current '16 models, they still had a handful of mid top ten finishes and not just on one type of track. There is a reason James Key is sought after, and it's been reported by some that people on the grid feel they could be a threat from time to time. Sort of like the one FI was at various points last year. I do say perhaps not absolute, I don't feel they'll be fighting for a championship, but I do feel they could round out the top five.

As for the rest, no, I say it based on the several other articles that I don't post because of time and what not. For example it's been reported that RBR have claimed they're above the numbers they predicted for the achieved aero they wanted on the new car. This tells us that the car will most likely be second best at worst, and above Mercedes at best, depending on how far the power unit has come. Since Renault still don't think they've found that power to match Mercedes the gains will most likely be done on trick aero or balance.

Ferrari, is still all over the map, it keeps losing key personnel and not really fulfilling it with anything noteworthy to bring the back from the edge. They have gone to a ground up redesign on the power unit, because they weren't cutting it there for the past 3 seasons, and yet nothing redeeming has been said about the chassis design over the winter or direction.

I mean I don't want to be the guy that brings bad news but I called it quite early the past couple years in these threads on if Ferrari would be a threat as well as others. And like last year, there is a good chance they'll be much of the same I personally don't see them climbing up the ladder constructor wise.

BREAKING: First official 2017 F1 car revealed. Sauber CS36.

Guess we could have predicted the shark fin 10 days ago with this image...

C4UQj7KWMAAAkjL.jpg

Glad they actually gave it some nicer colors the livery isn't that bad I kind of like it, reminds me of stuff from the late 90s early 2000s.

CarC36_Side_WEB.jpg

The U shape in the livery is weird, like they ran out of paint.

Not a fan of the shark fin, but otherwise it looks quite nice.

Not really a fan of the golden front wing and golden mirrors, otherwise the livery does look nice. Too bad that they don't have any sponsors to put on the car, looks so empty. I wonder why they made the fin black, instead of blue or white.

Ugly nose stub and I don't like shark fins.

Rest of the car looks great. That front wing looks awfully complex.

Yeah I agree, there are protruding elements from the front wing going toward the front tires...never seen that before, also anyone else notice the long wastegate pipes relative to the actual exhaust.

Back