2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Toyota just won the manufacturer championship, the first non-Chevy to win it since 2002. Combine that with Chevrolet losing two really good teams in the 4 and 41 to Ford and it seems Chevrolet's iron grip on the sport is starting to loosen.
All we need now is a new make to come along and get RCR to jump ship. Then it's going to be an all-out war with just about everybody on equal footing
So RCR Dodge or RCR Nissan then?

In theory Honda could enter the Accord since it's about the right size, has a sedan version and has been built in Ohio ever since the line started. And since NASCAR uses fuel injected engines now, their one big reason for not coming in when Toyota did is gone.

I don't really see it happening though, because Toyota had successful grassroots support which spurred the decision to move into the upper leagues (including the guy running a Celica in the now-defunct Goody's Dash series that got a lot of attention at the time), and like you said I can't see any new manufacturer spending the huge amount of money to get established unless they can hook at least one big team right off the bat.
The biggest reason I see why Honda isn't in NASCAR seems to be that they cannot or will not build a V8. Given their racing history, it seems that would be the case.

Sorry bout the double post

Bad news for that diecast giveaway from a few months ago. Got this a few minutes ago.

Untitled.jpg

The biggest reason I see why Honda isn't in NASCAR seems to be that they cannot or will not build a V8. Given their racing history, it seems that would be the case.\

Their Indycar engines from 2003-2011 were V8's. If there was enough incentive for them to do so, they would build racing V8's again. I just don't think Honda would make the jump into NASCAR nowadays unless they had a top-level team to give them a high-profile entry and shoulder some of the immense startup cost.

Pushrods and overhead valves are probably why Honda doesn't come into the series. If they allowed overhead cams and real fuel injection, Chevy and Ford's days would be over.

Pushrods and overhead valves are probably why Honda doesn't come into the series. If they allowed overhead cams and real fuel injection, Chevy and Ford's days would be over.
Not going to lie, it would be cool to see some diversity with the engine building.

Bad news for that diecast giveaway from a few months ago. Got this a few minutes ago.

Untitled.jpg
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: Well at least it wasn't a scam.

The biggest reason I see why Honda isn't in NASCAR seems to be that they cannot or will not build a V8. Given their racing history, it seems that would be the case.

Oh they've built V8s before alright:

03C_l.jpg

I think it's more about the fact the NASCAR engine package brings absolutely no technology development that can be brought to road cars (VTEC, 4 wheel steering, and now turbochargers) that steers Honda away.

03C_l.jpg

I think it's more about the fact the NASCAR engine package brings absolutely no technology development that can be brought to road cars (VTEC, 4 wheel steering, and now turbochargers) that steers Honda away.
And don't forget their Formula 1 V12's, V10's and V8's. :D
uphond.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Just got it too. Completely bummed that I couldn't get a free die-cast, but at least it was a supply shortage and not some scam. This will come in handy for my family though considering we're always having to fix something on our car.

Monster Energy already calls Supercross the Monster Energy Cup.
The Monster Energy Cup is a standalone event separate from the full series, which is simply called Monster Energy Supercross. Doesn't make too much of a difference, only that it's one event they'd want to avoid mixing up rather than a whole sequence. Either way, still has a little merit to it.

The Monster Energy Cup is a standalone event separate from the full series, which is simply called Monster Energy Supercross. Doesn't make too much of a difference, only that it's one event they'd want to avoid mixing up rather than a whole sequence. Either way, still has a little merit to it.

Yeah, I haven't followed Supercross since the turn of the Century so my mistake.

Somehow I don't see this happening. Ford would just start sampling their Ecoboost tech, and GM I'm sure would come up with something. That said, get ready for an onslaught of manufacturers if that ever happened.

03C_l.jpg

I stand corrected. And, at the risk of sounding like a traditionalist, I don't think NASCAR really needs half the things you said. 4 wheel steering belongs on trucks. VTEC makes me think of those dumb broke morons who think their old Civic is a Ferrari, and besides, it sounds like more of a push to pass system which would be counter intuitive with NASCAR's low downforce approach. Turbos though would be cool if they let K&N or even Xfinity cars start running turbo v6 Indycar motors. Lastly, you forgot the lack of an IRS, and frankly I'd be happy if NASCAR allowed that.

So, NASCAR Premier Series powered by Monster Energy? Sounds like a disaster in the making. Why not just go full Coca Cola? Better yet, what are the other rumored finalists for the title sponsor?

I stand corrected. And, at the risk of sounding like a traditionalist, I don't think NASCAR really needs half the things you said. 4 wheel steering belongs on trucks. VTEC makes me think of those dumb broke morons who think their old Civic is a Ferrari, and besides, it sounds like more of a push to pass system which would be counter intuitive with NASCAR's low downforce approach. Turbos though would be cool if they let K&N or even Xfinity cars start running turbo v6 Indycar motors. Lastly, you forgot the lack of an IRS, and frankly I'd be happy if NASCAR allowed that.

What I'm getting at is that VTEC and 4 wheel steering and whatnot all were invented/developped while racing, just like Audi pionneered the use of all-wheel drive with the Quattro in the WRC, and then ported over to the road-going cars in one way or another. We could use carbon fiber as another example... NASCAR is pretty much as basic as you can get, aside from the recent addition of EFI, the cars are mechanically still very similar to what they were 30-35 years ago, safety improvements aside. I don't think we'll ever see carbon tubs and independent suspension on those things, or direct injection DOHC engines with some sort of hybrid system, and in a way, it's okay like that, but the manufacturers that use racing to "improve the breed" for lack of a better term, see little to no interest in joining the series.

What I'm getting at is that VTEC and 4 wheel steering and whatnot all were invented/developped while racing, just like Audi pionneered the use of all-wheel drive with the Quattro in the WRC, and then ported over to the road-going cars in one way or another. We could use carbon fiber as another example... NASCAR is pretty much as basic as you can get, aside from the recent addition of EFI, the cars are mechanically still very similar to what they were 30-35 years ago, safety improvements aside. I don't think we'll ever see carbon tubs and independent suspension on those things, or direct injection DOHC engines with some sort of hybrid system, and in a way, it's okay like that, but the manufacturers that use racing to "improve the breed" for lack of a better term, see little to no interest in joining the series.

This is all true and I don't even think the recent addition of EFI is even a step in the right direction as it's throttle body injection. It's primitive fuel injection that was standard on cars in the 80's. They could do so much to advance the sport but they are still stuck on push rod OHV designs with archaic EFI. I love NASCAR but this is one of the reasons it might not be around much longer. Failure to advance.

This is all true and I don't even think the recent addition of EFI is even a step in the right direction as it's throttle body injection. It's primitive fuel injection that was standard on cars in the 80's. They could do so much to advance the sport but they are still stuck on push rod OHV designs with archaic EFI. I love NASCAR but this is one of the reasons it might not be around much longer. Failure to advance.

The main reason they're scared of moving forward like that is largely because they're expecting too much gray area stuff will slip by inspection. It took forever just to get fuel injection of any kind because the NASCAR higher ups were convinced that every crew chief would suddenly be possessed by Smokey Yunick and start skimming and trimming in ways they wouldn't be able to catch with a template or a pair of calipers.

Plus I'm reasonably sure that at least a couple of people on the board of directors are invested in factories that make some of the parts all teams are required to use, and if that's the case they're not going to willingly derail their own gravy train. (disclaimer: this paragraph is purely conjecture on my part)

I think NASCAR needs to be more concerned on coming up with a permanent fix to the high downforce problem rather than updating the technology. The racing was great early this season before teams found more downforce and the quality kind of fell off a cliff.

I think NASCAR needs to be more concerned on coming up with a permanent fix to the high downforce problem rather than updating the technology. The racing was great early this season before teams found more downforce and the quality kind of fell off a cliff.
What would happen if they eliminated the front splitter? Would that drop the downforce? Does it serve a safety purpose (doubted, but I don't know)?

What would happen if they eliminated the front splitter? Would that drop the downforce? Does it serve a safety purpose (doubted, but I don't know)?
Believe it would, and no its not safety, just digs wet grass.

Why not have separate oval and road course configurations. Have a V8 Supercar/Audi Quattro wing and splitter for the road courses, and use the super low downforce setup without a splitter and normal spoiler everywhere else?

Believe it would, and no its not safety, just digs wet grass.

Why not have separate oval and road course configurations. Have a V8 Supercar/Audi Quattro wing and splitter for the road courses, and use the super low downforce setup without a splitter and normal spoiler everywhere else?
Actually road racing or drifting style widebodies, canards, and spoilers would be best for road courses IMO. Just look at a modern GTE car compared to an 80s rally car.

aside from pushrods being the preferred engine of choice for the drifting crowd, You got a point there
The main reason they're scared of moving forward like that is largely because they're expecting too much gray area stuff will slip by inspection. It took forever just to get fuel injection of any kind because the NASCAR higher ups were convinced that every crew chief would suddenly be possessed by Smokey Yunick and start skimming and trimming in ways they wouldn't be able to catch with a template or a pair of calipers.

Plus I'm reasonably sure that at least a couple of people on the board of directors are invested in factories that make some of the parts all teams are required to use, and if that's the case they're not going to willingly derail their own gravy train. (disclaimer: this paragraph is purely conjecture on my part)
I thought it was an irrational fear of driving out the tiny teams that can't even fund themselves. That's both fascinating and sad

Getting rid of the splitter and giving the teams their horsepower back would be a great first step in the right direction
I really believe the reduction in horsepower two years ago is what stalled out Tony Stewart and delayed Kyle Larson's inevitable success. Both came from sprint cars, which drive better when on the ragged edge of control.

Back