2017 NASCAR Discussion threadNASCAR 

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,756 comments
Really another lousy, desperate gimmick from NASCAR to try and slow the bleeding.

Age of the internet (shorter attention spans) and the proliferation of the 1.5 mile cookie cutters among other things really doomed the sport to where it is now. They really should just accept the decline and try to rebuild the sport from whatever is left 5 years from now.

My ideas to fix the sport

1. Reduce season to 30 races from 36
  2. Drop the chase
  3. Drop segments
  4. Add F1 style tire compound choices
  5. Reduce the length of all races except the Daytona 500 and Coke 600. They should all fit in a 3 hr window, 15 min prerace, 2.5 hr race, 15 min postrace.
  6. Alternate more tracks in the schedule each year, it shouldnt be the same thing over and over. Locking in the same tracks on the schedule for years in the future only benefits the owner(s) of the track, and nobody else.
  7. Allow alternative engines (turbo V6s for example)
  8. Bring in more manufacturers, like Honda and and a Civic
  9. Add a streaming prescription package

All in all, NASCAR has become too stale. Its like old, standing water. Every year its the same cars, same tracks. That is boring. It needs more real changes and improvements, and less gimmicks. They could add 10 roadcourses. Its not going to fix the ratings. Besides, NASCAR is an oval series and I want it to stay that way. Theres more then enough road racing out there, no need for NASCAR to become one too.

I say it be a similar setup to Daytona's road course, a good size tire island on the outside of turn 9.

Also there should be some rows of tires on the inside of turn 1 to prevent a collision that happen in a 1985 IMSA race at Charlotte.

Did I see that right? He is braking before the start finish line. How is that going to work at the end of a segment or at the finish? No race car driver wants to lift off the gas before the finish, much less brake.

Really another lousy, desperate gimmick from NASCAR to try and slow the bleeding.

Age of the internet (shorter attention spans) and the proliferation of the 1.5 mile cookie cutters among other things really doomed the sport to where it is now. They really should just accept the decline and try to rebuild the sport from whatever is left 5 years from now.

My ideas to fix the sport

1. Reduce season to 30 races from 36
  2. Drop the chase
  3. Drop segments
  4. Add F1 style tire compound choices
  5. Reduce the length of all races except the Daytona 500 and Coke 600. They should all fit in a 3 hr window, 15 min prerace, 2.5 hr race, 15 min postrace.
  6. Alternate more tracks in the schedule each year, it shouldnt be the same thing over and over. Locking in the same tracks on the schedule for years in the future only benefits the owner(s) of the track, and nobody else.
  7. Allow alternative engines (turbo V6s for example)
  8. Bring in more manufacturers, like Honda and and a Civic
  9. Add a streaming prescription package

All in all, NASCAR has become too stale. Its like old, standing water. Every year its the same cars, same tracks. That is boring. It needs more real changes and improvements, and less gimmicks. They could add 10 roadcourses. Its not going to fix the ratings. Besides, NASCAR is an oval series and I want it to stay that way. Theres more then enough road racing out there, no need for NASCAR to become one too.

^THIS.

I understand that fans want NASCAR to change for the better, but making Charlotte a roval is a very dumb move IMO. They should have left the race as a normal oval.

1. On your first idea, I definitely agree that the season should be limited. 36 races is far too many. Anywhere between 30-32 races is perfect. There are some tracks that should not have two races at all.

2. I agree with this 100%. Even in one of the most exciting seasons of NASCAR, the championship was clinched with one race to go. It's fun to see titles decided over a season and not a silly playoff gimmick.

3. I say keep the segments, but go back to the Latford points System and award five points for each segment win, but keep the racing going after every stage and get rid of the mandatory yellow.

5. I think that races should start at 1pm on the East Coast, 3pm on the West, and night races should be at either 7pm or 7:30pm, with the ability to move the start up if weather is in the area.

I want to add the following ideas.

10. Get rid of the charter system, expand the field back to 43 cars, and allow teams to run more than three cars. This charter system nonsense dissuades new teams from coming in the sport and established teams from running an extra car a few races, so that a rookie can get their feet wet before racing a full Cup season.

11. Xfinity and Truck Series have more stand-alone races, so they can establish their own identity again. Further limit Cup participation in lower series with the exceptions being Cup rookies and second-year drivers.

10. Get rid of the charter system, expand the field back to 43 cars,and allow teams to run more than three cars. This charter system nonsense dissuades new teams from coming in the sport and established teams from running an extra car a few races, so that a rookie can get their feet wet before racing a full Cup season.

The current limit is 4 cars per owner with the option to run a 5th for a rookie in up to 7 races. 3 seems to the optimal number though considering even Hendrick can't consistently field 4 cars capable of winning.

I also don't see how the charter system is driving away new teams considering it's really not much different than the top-35 rule and it's not like tons of cars were missing races prior to the charter system.

The current limit is 4 cars per owner with the option to run a 5th for a rookie in up to 7 races. 3 seems to the optimal number though considering even Hendrick can't consistently field 4 cars capable of winning.

I also don't see how the charter system is driving away new teams considering it's really not much different than the top-35 rule and it's not like tons of cars were missing races prior to the charter system.

The charter system also did away with the 5th car for rookies. 4 cars is the absolute limit

According to Jayski.com, Chevrolet will announce what car will replace the Chevrolet SS, which is being discontinued, for the 2018 NASCAR season on August 10th during a press conference.

According to Jayski.com, Chevrolet will announce what car will replace the Chevrolet SS, which is being discontinued, for the 2018 NASCAR season on August 10th during a press conference.

It's a Malibu pretty sure it's been official for a while.

Considering both Ford and Toyota use their mid-size cars I have a hard time seeing them going back to the Impala (although I would prefer the Impala as it looks 1000x better than the Malibu).

Jeffery Earnhardt dropped oil on the track and Elliot and Keselowski crashed!

Thunderstorm with lightning expected to go north of track. May have an impact on the race if it changes direction and heads further south, and Fox may pull the rooftop camera crew from the roof for their safety depending on where it tracks.

DiBurrito in the wall. Caution is out.
Edit: Lightning being reported in the area.

And now it's raining. 🤬

Edit: When the rain stops, it should take about an hour and a half to dry.

Back