2019 Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 664 comments
Also, any word on the MINI TCR?

I've only heard this from John Hindhaugh during IMSA broadcasts, he's said it more than once. It sounds like BMW said no. They own Mini, and apparently are working on a car using the Mini platform that may or may not fit nicely into TCR spec (2 liter, 4 cylinder, turbo, FWD, etc.).

If this is the case, personally think Mini would make for a cooler TCR car than a BMW, but that's just me. I'm more interested to see if and when we're getting the Mazda TCR that's also just a rumor at the moment.

I've only heard this from John Hindhaugh during IMSA broadcasts, he's said it more than once. It sounds like BMW said no. They own Mini, and apparently are working on a car using the Mini platform that may or may not fit nicely into TCR spec (2 liter, 4 cylinder, turbo, FWD, etc.).

If this is the case, personally think Mini would make for a cooler TCR car than a BMW, but that's just me. I'm more interested to see if and when we're getting the Mazda TCR that's also just a rumor at the moment.
Thanks.
I remember that Mazda rumour as well. Hopefully MZR make one based on the new Mazda3.

The team that was running them (and supposed to develop the TCR) has also moved on and is running Honda's next year.

It really is a shame that BMW tends to do the bare minimum when it comes to motorsports. At least they seem committed to the GT program.

It really is a shame that BMW tends to do the bare minimum when it comes to motorsports. At least they seem committed to the GT program.

... the M240i Cup Racing car, the M4 GT4, the M4 DTM/Class One, the M6 GT3, the M8 GTE, and iFE-18, and official backing for the X-Raid MINI Squad, and WSR in the BTCC... and that's before we get onto Superbikes...

That's not exactly the bare minimum...

They don't have a TCR platform, but in all fairness, at this stage, what are you going to take racing.. the 2 series Active Tourer? The X1? There's maybe a case for the 1-er Sedan, but that really only makes sense in China and Brazil. Once the next 1-er or 2-er Gran Coupe arrives, TCR and it's FWD rule will make a lot more sense for BMW.

... the M240i Cup Racing car, the M4 GT4, the M4 DTM/Class One, the M6 GT3, the M8 GTE, and iFE-18, and official backing for the X-Raid MINI Squad, and WSR in the BTCC... and that's before we get onto Superbikes...

I would say most of those programs fall under the "GT program" I mentioned.

Anyways, don't worry, I won't say anything else negative about your precious BMW.

I would say most of those programs fall under the "GT program" I mentioned.

Anyways, don't worry, I won't say anything else negative about your precious BMW.

Oh how generous.

.. you mean you can't actually back up your point.

Cool to see HART still going...and that's a good driver pairing. It will be nice to see a TCR field which has something more than Audis and one GTI.

https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/releases/2691

images%2Fthumbnail%2F35242-levittBHA011900114.jpg

Ohhhh, okay. That's really niiiiiice. Shoot, Hyundai could run those over here. SEAT have like three different transmission variations. Let alone VW group's Contingient in the series.

Looks sweet! Interesting that Hyundai went though the trouble of homologating two different body styles for TCR (even though I have a feeling I know why. But still...). Hopefully I get a chance to see it in the flesh this year!
They don't sell the i30 N here so no reason to race it here. I'm sure they had this planned all along but couldn't get the Veloster ready in time so they used the other cars.

This should be interesting.

The first ever endurance race reserved for TCR cars only will take place on 4-6 October 2019 with the aim of reviving the tradition of Touring Car endurance races at the legendary circuit of Spa-Francorchamps. The planned distance for the race is 500 laps of the 7 km circuit. The event is a joint operation between WSC that holds the rights to the TCR technical regulations and Dutch agency CREVENTIC that will be acting as the promoter and organiser, adding the race to its vast portfolio of endurance races all over the world.

Live TV and live streaming are planned, including live commentary on well-known Radios such as IMSA Radio and Radio Le Mans.

50401054_1495010667298705_4385003000368726016_n.jpg

They don't sell the i30 N here so no reason to race it here. I'm sure they had this planned all along but couldn't get the Veloster ready in time so they used the other cars.

Yep, that's what I was thinking :cheers: Basically a reskin of the i30 TCR.

Back