2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 552 comments
Shocking news that we absolutely didn't all already know

Leclerc might be moving forward but Ferrari will find a way to move less forward.

It's hard to feel sorry for someone earning about €25 million a year but there's definitely a lot of heartbreak in his future.

Amusing or distressing thought : Eddie Irvine was closer to winning a title for Ferrari than Leclerc ever has been - and probably ever will be.
Interesting thought indeed, if Irvine hadn't crashed in qualifying for the final race, would have had a very good shot.

Ferrari's biggest problems this season will be managing Sainz and Leclerc, but also Mercedes, if they have found the gain they claim then Ferrari may wind up being 3rd or 4th fastest.

There’s nowhere else for him to go. Driving for Ferrari is still a pretty sweet gig anyway.
Driving for a team that gets more prize money than the bottom half of the field just because they show up to every race is something that's hard to walk away from anyway, regardless of how many pagliaccios del circo are in charge.

Driving for a team that gets more prize money than the bottom half of the field just because they show up to every race is something that's hard to walk away from anyway, regardless of how many pagliaccios del circo are in charge.
That historical bonus is not as important as it used to be, they can’t just throw that at the team anymore.
They used to blow 500 million a year, they would easily meet the cost cap without that bonus.

The big advantage they have are the facilities. But the smaller teams are slowly working on that, well except for Haas.

Last edited:
I had been hoping the silly season and off-season would have been more interesting than all of the last racing season.

Control+C, Control+V, F1 key is broken.

I feel sorry for Sainz, that is a big kick in the balls before the season even starts. He's a victim of circumstance here and certainly deserves to be with a good team.

I hope Mercedes gets Alonso for a couple years until Antonelli shows up, or better yet throw the latter in the car if he does well in F2, but Mercedes is way too conservative for that.

Last edited:
You just can't do this anymore in this F1 and every rookie needs at least 2 years, even Oscar with his pre-entry F1 mileage was struggeling a lot and is still struggeling understanding tyremanagement etc. and outpaced over race distance.

You just can't do this anymore in this F1 and every rookie needs at least 2 years, even Oscar with his pre-entry F1 mileage was struggeling a lot and is still struggeling understanding tyremanagement etc. and outpaced over race distance.
Oscar has been the most impressive rookie in years, even after a year off. It shows it can be done if the driver is good enough.

I feel sorry for Sainz, that is a big kick in the balls before the season even starts. He's a victim of circumstance here and certainly deserves to be with a good team.

I hope Mercedes gets Alonso for a couple years until Antonelli shows up, or better yet throw the latter in the car if he does well in F2, but Mercedes is way too conservative for that.
I think a better fit would be Ocon rather than Alonso

I couldn't disagree more with this statement.
I just think Alonso should stay at Aston, I don't see the benefit for him at Merc if Lewis doesn't. Ocon is similar to George, and when Ocon was paired with Alonso he was on par with him. (He did manage to finish above Alonso but reliability cost Alonso 5 or 6 points that year).

Last edited:
I read a comment on YouTube that said "This is more exciting than Formula One itself.", and I can't help but agree.

Seeing Lewis in Ferrari red is honestly one of the most confusing, exciting situations that could have happened to F1 as of recent. Charles and Lewis are my two favorite F1 drivers as of current, to see them teamed up will be interesting to see.

This is the kind of stuff that F1 needs, mix it all up - Max, go get in a Mercedes.. Carlos, go back to Red Bull, whatever there may be lol - Aston Martin, poach some engineers.. We need excitement.

One other thing: Liverpool FC's Jurgen Klopp announced he's leaving after this year, another shock announcement. Just as I loved Lewis at Mercedes, I loved Klopp at Liverpool... bring on the changes. :cheers:

Happy to announce I will watch this season of F1, just to rage at the screen.

Can't wait to hear "My tires are gone!" ........ "Ok, we are checkinnnnng......."

Last edited:
Oscar has been the most impressive rookie in years, even after a year off. It shows it can be done if the driver is good enough.
Yeah with nearly uncountable test days and around a full F1 season mileage done before wearing McL orange for the first time. Arriving at Qatar '23 he had most F1 miles driven on this track from any F1 driver due to the fact he had a private test there with Alpine managing 2.5 complete race weekends in 2 exclusive test days in '22 while everyone else on the grid had only the "normal" GP weekend in 2022 with restricted engines/gearboxes. It's not talking his achievements small and he executed the sprint win very well but it didn't just happen out of the blue because he is such a talent. He had a big knowledge advantage to everyone else on the grid despite beeing a rookie. Best prepared rookie since Lance/Lewis but even with this advantage he isn't on the level of F1 vets. So even with 2 full seasons mileage he is far off leading a team and still has huge learnings to do. It just shows how difficult F1 is nowadays and the reason I'm convinced no top team will get a rookie in their cockpit. The Russell way with many seasons in a backmarker team is the only thing to do these days and even he struggled after the change to Merc despite lots of experience.

The merrygoround starts up again. Not sure where Bottas would head - back to Williams or Mercedes (as a temporary stopgap before Antonelli is ready)?

The merrygoround starts up again. Not sure where Bottas would head - back to Williams or Mercedes (as a temporary stopgap before Antonelli is ready)?
I honestly think that Haas would be a potential candidate for Bottas. As much as I like KMag, Bottas would for sure be an upgrade over him, and Bottas' experience could come in handy if Ollie Bearman makes the jump into F1 next year with Haas.

Back