630PP GT3 Racing Car Super Lap: Suzuka Circuit 2014

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 216 comments
Damn that's quick... it's not the DS3 that's keeping me from being that fast, it's the Automatic Transmission that I use. If I could make the switch to MT, I'd stand a chance... but thanks for the encouragement!

Cheers

You ran a 1:49 with the DS3 and an automatic tranny, damn that blows my mind. I can't even dream about doing that with a DS3. Mind you I wouldn't want to even try. I bet you give up at least a second just with the auto tranny taking away your rev's when and where you want them. My hat is off to all you DS3 guys but I have to say the wheel is a must have for a racing sim.

You ran a 1:49 with the DS3 and an automatic tranny, damn that blows my mind. I can't even dream about doing that with a DS3. Mind you I wouldn't want to even try. I bet you give up at least a second just with the auto tranny taking away your rev's when and where you want them. My hat is off to all you DS3 guys but I have to say the wheel is a must have for a racing sim.

Oh for sure it takes away revs and time... the worst for me is turn 11 (the Hairpin), with another 2 curves that I can think of. The trick of it is to think like a MT driver and compensate as best as possible. What some people do in a few laps will take me a lot more to accomplish. I just take it as a challenge... I know going to MT on the controller would be faster, but the hand cramps I get aren't worth it.

Just out of curiosity, I checked one by one the top 150 spots, and there were 4 DS3 users using AT, the fastest being a 1:47.938... that blew my mind!

Cheers

Last edited:
Oh for sure it takes away revs and time... the worst for me is turn 11 (the Hairpin), with another 2 curves that I can think of. The trick of it is to think like a MT driver and compensate as best as possible. What some people do in a few laps will take me a lot more to accomplish. I just take it as a challenge... I know going to MT on the controller would be faster, but the hand cramps I get aren't worth it.

Just out of curiosity, I checked one by one the top 150 spots, and there were 4 DS3 users using AT, the fastest being a 1:47.938... that blew my mind!

Cheers

Do you have a wheel and just don't use it or not have one? I hear you on the hand cramps. I'm guessing you're giving away your age. I'm 57 and will be 58 in January and I find my hands can't take the miles like they used to without cramping. My legs also cramp badly while racing but the racing takes my mind off the pain in my arthritic knees. Falling apart so very fast lol.

I pulled a 2:01.247 in my Audi Sport Team Phoenix Audi R8 LMS Ultra. One of the key changes to my setup was to go with a Stage 3 Engine upgrade. The one thing I had to be careful of is to make sure the car didn't snap on me in the corners or I lose too much traction with a tire or two going off-course. I really felt like I could nail a time below two minutes, even if it was 1:59.999, but I was unable to pull that off.

I have ALWAYS respected Suzuka Circuit and the challenge it provides. It's one of my personal favorite race tracks in the world. Tracks don't have to be the Nürburgring Nordschleife to be interesting or thrilling to race. This course and this Seasonal are pretty good challenges.

Do you have a wheel and just don't use it or not have one? I hear you on the hand cramps. I'm guessing you're giving away your age. I'm 57 and will be 58 in January and I find my hands can't take the miles like they used to without cramping. My legs also cramp badly while racing but the racing takes my mind off the pain in my arthritic knees. Falling apart so very fast lol.

Nope, no wheel at all yet. I'm 49 so far and I hear ya about the falling apart bit :lol:... thankfully not as bad as some I know who are worse off and younger! I love to play but the hands have been abused working in the chosen fields I've been in over the years.

I'm considering a wheel and using the paddle shifters, if not doing the normal stick shift, but not sure if I should wait till GT7 on the PS4 or not. I've read about the adapters for PS3 wheels to use on PS4s but don't know anyone who has used them. Decisions, decisions. :scared:

Cheers

Decided to try SW_10's tune however swapped the ride heights around in keeping with the usual practice of having the highest on the front.
Found the tune beneficial and improved a few tenths and later, on a whim, swapped the ride heights back to where SW_10 had them.
That was even more beneficial, took off another 3 tenths. Thanks for that tune SW_10, good one mate.
Now on 1:28.272 for pos#137.

edit. Still improving using SW_10's tune, albeit using rear downforce at 555.
I see I have lost exactly one second since yesterday, from 1:28.994 to
1:27.994 now for pos#101.

Last edited:
Ok so I figured even though running this car makes me want to punch a hole in my screen I decided to just deal with it and try to put more than twenty minutes in at once. I found all sorts of time all over the place. I figured the car out I think. And I improved to a 46.9xx witch puts me in 22nd currently. But I know I have at least a half a second to gain if I string it all together and I till haven't a clue how to approach the chicane. So even more time once I figure that out. This tune is good for a low 46 or 45 in the right hands, judging by my own gains through certain corners.

BMW Z4

70 80
18.75 19.00
4 4
6 6
6 7
0 0
-0.01 0.05

5 6 brakes.

400 555 downforce.

Don't be afraid to use the e brake. It's a must for the hairpin.

And I realize now that I should have kept up with the time trials since my last successful one, if I had, this would all be a lot easier without so much of a learning curve. So the moral of the whole story is keep at it. And don't drive blind. Force yourself to learn exactly why your losing time for each corner, and practice it until you aren't.

@Doodle get back on this one. Me and you got wheels at the same time, after running similarly on the ds3. So you are essentially my target :) Murica can't time trial, let's change that.

P.S. Awesome job with 450pp seasonal. Has an American ever won a TT? Ever?

Nice tune. Thanks for posting. I tried it out and ended up running a 1:47.622 with DS3.

I had to change a few things to my liking though. The differential was too strong on acceleration and too weak on braking for my liking; too much rotation and darting. But your tune allowed me to beat my previous best of 1:48.079 while using the tune Daniel Carmo posted (his original tune, not his updated one) a couple pages back. The car is much more free in the esses. Thanks again.

My changes are as follows for anyone else who may be interested:

Ride Height: 70 75
LSD: 9/13/12
Downforce: 400/560

Last edited:
Gave the SW-10 tune that was posted earlier a go to see if it was any good and, almost straightaway, went 8 tenths quicker to give me a 1:50.637...which soon became a .417. Adjusted the rear downforce down to 650 and thew front TOE to -0.05 and went another 4 tenths quicker for a 50.068, so 1.4 seconds improvement there. On the last runs, figured I'd give active steering a go to see if it made any difference and was 3 tenths up at spoon before messing it up....put the AS back to mild (strong setting removed too much of the rear looseness for my liking) and managed another tenth to go sub 50 at 1:49.970 which was my aim after my first lap improvement today.

Will go back to it again I'm sure but to be in, last I checked, 542nd place using a DS3 with auto tranmission and x/square for accel/brake is not something I ever expected and is something I am very proud of....I feel that a 49.5 is definitely achieveable if I nail the lap. Anyway, this TT is the one I've had most fun with to date....I guess all those weeks of time trialling with the WRS has paid off!

New time 1.47.532

no change oil

75 85
11.58 13.74
1 1
1 1
6. 7
0.0. 0.0
0.0. 0.0

brake 6 7

9. 14. 5 lsd

gears
defeaut
final 3.400
maxim 200 km
1 4957
2 3865
3 3030
4 2560
5 2174
6 1844
final 2.050
Turbo 3

400. 580 Downforce

tcs1

steering wheel

Last edited:
This has to be the most addictive combo ever :D Given how much I improved yesterday, I wasn't expecting much today..have continued using mild active steering as it gives a bit of stability out of corners to counter the auto box and using the x button for accelerate but that's the only aid beyond ABS 1.

Have been playing with mainly ride height, TOE and rear downforce....initially just improved by a tenth to a 49.8 and had several laps where I was 4 tenths up at the end of sector 1 only to bin it at Spoon. However, kept going with slight alerations in setup and got a .7 before jumping down to a .555. On the final run, I increased the rear spring rate slightly and gained almost 2 tenths.

So, today I have managed to improve by 6 tenths from a 1:49.970 down to a 1:49.373...and there is more time around as my PB sectors combine for a 1:49.050! Unbelieveably, I am now (at last check) 361st on the Leaderboard :eek: This is my proudest moment ever in GT!

Setup-wise, I have continued using SW-10s tune with the following changes:

Ride Height: 70/75
Spring Rate: 14.00 Rear
TOE: -0.10/0.00
D/F: 400/650

Surprisingly, the rear spring rate changing by 0.26 gives the car much better rear stability and is most noticeable in the right turn before the hairpin...strange such a small amount is so noticeable!

Oh, saw a highly funny thing when looking at the leaderboard...earlier on, the person in 499th place had tyres listed as....Comfort Medium front and rear :confused: Either the system has got that wrong or they are one hell of a driver to get that high up on comfort tyres!

100_0471.JPG

@nursemorph , only .5s to find for order in the universe to be restored and put you 2 at least 2 tenths ahead of anything I can manage :bowdown:
Using a mixture of @shaunm80 and @Evo19uk setups on the R8 did ten laps and improved from 1m49.039 to 1m49.016 on third lap and finally 1m49.000 on lap seven before red lapping final three laps.
Suzuka is a fantastic circuit, absolutely love it.

Another day, more improvement.....adjusted the ride height to 75/75 and managed another 3 tenths to give me a 1:49.080 with PBs in sectors 1 and 3 to give me 307th place when I last checked :D. Further adjustments had me up by over 2 tenths just prior to 130R only to mess up the final sector...a 48.7 is possible as that is my PB sectors combined so still more work to do. Here are the current adjustments to SW-10s tune:

RH: 75/75
SR: 13.74/14.50
TOE: -0.10/0.05
D/F: 400/650

@nursemorph your dedication is incredible! I tried your tweaks, and for sure some of the handling changes completely.. I spun out a few times early on.
I'm having Internet trouble here, and am afraid to practise on the single player time trial, in case I blow away my time and can't repeat it. :banghead:
However, I think my gear shifts are still suspect, I've only been driving MT since June. Don't fully get it yet...

And to all the DS3 users... Let our powers combine! :cheers: Never owned a wheel in my life.

I must have tried for an hour only getting silver with one of the best runs I ever did on Suzuka and then I went to see what the TRL guys were doing that destroyed my time so much and noticed the RS tires. Grrrr....

I must have tried for an hour only getting silver with one of the best runs I ever did on Suzuka and then I went to see what the TRL guys were doing that destroyed my time so much and noticed the RS tires. Grrrr....
There are a couple of people at about place 500+ that are on RH tyres, plus the one as mentioned elsewhere in this thread supposedly using comfort medium!

There are many places where I keep finding time on this seasonal, and have finally got below 1.50. Not helped by the fact that I'm also concentrating heavily on the Suzuka QM, and that uses different cars, plus RM tyres - takes me a few races to get used to it when I hope back to the QM......

Looking at replays of both events, I'm amazed to see some of the places where the fast guys use full throttle, and I just disappear into the scenery if I try it!

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gFBH8a9owIlo3L6EZL_0.jpg

Managed to hit my target tonight, improved by 1 hundredth of a second with the Audi for a 1m48.990. Not sure if I can make the Z4 go any faster, although I don't think I'll be able to resist giving it a go either.

@nursemorph your dedication is incredible! I tried your tweaks, and for sure some of the handling changes completely.. I spun out a few times early on.
I'm having Internet trouble here, and am afraid to practise on the single player time trial, in case I blow away my time and can't repeat it. :banghead:
However, I think my gear shifts are still suspect, I've only been driving MT since June. Don't fully get it yet...

And to all the DS3 users... Let our powers combine! :cheers: Never owned a wheel in my life.

Thanks 👍 Though it's not so much dedication as obsession :lol: This is the first seasonal where I have a possibility of being in the top 500 (have once been in the top 1,500, usually 5,000+) so I know I have to keep improving to keep my place...I time trial every week normally as part of a group on here so I have just swapped the time trials...and I play every day as I have lots of time on my hands.

Hmmm...the tweaks I listed shouldn't have changed the handling completely :confused: They just make the car a little more stable on the rear and a bit more pointy at the front...though I am using mild active steering so that may be part of it. I just wonder...were you using SW10s setup before applying the tweaks or just using the default setup? If you were using the default setup, then that would explain it as the car becomes a lot looser in the rear. Just in case, here's the full setup with my tweaks applied:

BMW Z4 GT3 '11.

630pp, 632bhp, 1190kg.

Rigidity improvement

75/75
13.74/14.50
2/2
3/3
6/6
0/0
-0.10/0.05

Brakes 6/7

Trans

Initial FG: 3400
Max speed 124mph (min)
1: 4957
2: 3635
3: 3056
4: 2560
5: 2174
6: 1844
FG: 2050

LSD: 12/12/5

76.3% power. High turbo.

DF 400/650

Hmmm...just realised I don't have the rigidity improvement installed....wonder if that would make much difference....will have to try that out later

@8123ub Good job with that time using the Audi :bowdown: I tried the Audi earlier this week but was a couple of seconds off my Z4 pace...and that was before I made the huge improvements in time...may give it another go at some point

Nope, no wheel at all yet. I'm 49 so far and I hear ya about the falling apart bit :lol:... thankfully not as bad as some I know who are worse off and younger! I love to play but the hands have been abused working in the chosen fields I've been in over the years.

I'm considering a wheel and using the paddle shifters, if not doing the normal stick shift, but not sure if I should wait till GT7 on the PS4 or not. I've read about the adapters for PS3 wheels to use on PS4s but don't know anyone who has used them. Decisions, decisions. :scared:

Cheers

G29 RACING WHEEL FOR PlayStation 3 AND PlayStation 4
just something to think about.
See you around

Anyone here using Mercedes sls? I used the 15th anniversary edition, since it was the only car I owned I could use for this event. Took a tune by Exeter (not the transmission, just lowered max speed) and run in 1:56:498

Don't know if it is a good time for that car, it seemed a good lap to me, if I had more time I'd break the 1:55 wall..or better!

Thanks 👍 Though it's not so much dedication as obsession :lol: This is the first seasonal where I have a possibility of being in the top 500 (have once been in the top 1,500, usually 5,000+) so I know I have to keep improving to keep my place...I time trial every week normally as part of a group on here so I have just swapped the time trials...and I play every day as I have lots of time on my hands.

Hmmm...the tweaks I listed shouldn't have changed the handling completely :confused: They just make the car a little more stable on the rear and a bit more pointy at the front...though I am using mild active steering so that may be part of it. I just wonder...were you using SW10s setup before applying the tweaks or just using the default setup? If you were using the default setup, then that would explain it as the car becomes a lot looser in the rear. Just in case, here's the full setup with my tweaks applied:

BMW Z4 GT3 '11.

630pp, 632bhp, 1190kg.

Rigidity improvement

75/75
13.74/14.50
2/2
3/3
6/6
0/0
-0.10/0.05

Brakes 6/7

Trans

Max speed 124mph (min)

76.3% power. High turbo.

DF 400/650

Hmmm...just realised I don't have the rigidity improvement installed....wonder if that would make much difference....will have to try that out later

@8123ub Good job with that time using the Audi :bowdown: I tried the Audi earlier this week but was a couple of seconds off my Z4 pace...and that was before I made the huge improvements in time...may give it another go at some point

Yeah I was using SW_10 tune before. It might be the active steering, have had that off for months now. I'll try it tonight. Also it might be the toe angle, I changed the front to -0.05 and felt much better.. Then again, I'm far from a competent tuner.. First time I ever even thought about how the toe angle affects anything, so thins is making me a better driver already.

But yes, this is truly an obsession for us!!

Anyone here using Mercedes sls? I used the 15th anniversary edition, since it was the only car I owned I could use for this event. Took a tune by Exeter (not the transmission, just lowered max speed) and run in 1:56:498

Don't know if it is a good time for that car, it seemed a good lap to me, if I had more time I'd break the 1:55 wall..or better!

I have the SLS as well (not the 15th anniv) and got a 1:56.2 I think. You can definitely push it further than that though, I got caught up in the TT/Z4 craze.

I think the SLS 'and' the Nissans are pretty heavy cars, the SLS especially when compared to the Z4, both produce about 630bhp, but SLS is around 200kg heavier.
Guy on my friends list used one of the Nismo's for a 1m53, quicker than I could manage with either of them

BMW Z4 GT3 '11.

630pp, 632bhp, 1190kg.

Rigidity improvement

75/75
13.74/14.50
2/2
3/3
6/6
0/0
-0.10/0.05

Brakes 6/7

Trans

Max speed 124mph (min)

76.3% power. High turbo.

DF 400/650

Just had a go with this tune, which is tuned with your ds3 and I can say it works absolutely fine with my G27 wheel with auto transmission and active steering on strong, just beat my old time by half a second to put my new time at 1:49.106

So thanks for your tweaks in the tune @nursemorph

Wow. I just did an 1:48.68 with a regular DS3 without aids apart from ABS 1 placing 230th worldwide. Damn I feel slow seeing those 1:46's! Y'all got serious Talent. Props!

UPDATE: 1:48.655 now after 104 KM more driven!

Last edited:
@Musazaki Yeah...the front TOE, I think, is a personal preference for some...a lot of tunes I try out end with me adding a lot more front toe (one recently was with 0.00 toe and, by the time I got the tune to a place I was happy with, I had it at -0.30!). To be honest, I'm far from a competent tuner either...I vaguely understand how things interact with each other but, mainly, I just use trial and error...ie I will change the toe, run 5-10 laps and, if it works, will change something else and run 5-10 laps again and so on. I rarely use active steering and only tried it just to see what happened but it definitely helps settle the rear a little bit.

@Gadge No problem my friend...glad the tweaks helped 👍

Bought a new Z4 yesterday to try the rigidity improvement that I hadn't used from SW-10s tune but I could only manage a 49.750 with it....while it handled fairly well, it wasn't as responsive through the esses and I understeered into the sand frequently so that experiment didn't work. Wasn't able to improve on my time yesterday and could only get a 49.2 but we do have a couple of more weeks to go so plenty of time left. This is the first time that I have had a car suffer from deteriorating rigidity that needed fixing...it explained why the car felt different and I was quite surprised that it needed doing after less than 500 miles of running

Back