A new FFB wheel from Madcatz for the Xbox 360

• Thread starter -kj-
  • 104 comments
I'll definitely give this a wheel a look if it's priced correctly and offers a step up from the old MS wheel I already have.

I'm hoping it's going to be on a par with my DFGT in terms of price and performance.

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but I see 2 design flaws immediately:

1) The foot pedals are angled way too high. It should be more vertical.
2) The shifter is too forward to reach.

I think it was broken. Do you know anyone who actually uses this wheel or can actually say that it is even as good as the old MS wheel.

I am fully expecting this wheel to blow the Microsoft WRW out of the water. It is a revamp of the Saitek R660 GT, and although I bitched about the price, I realize that it's going to cost $230 USD for a reason. Given MadCatz recent track record in quality controllers that cost north of $100, I absolutely believe that this wheel will not be a cheap waste of money like the Microsoft WRW (in some opinions).

Note, Microsoft WRW refers to the discontinued Force Feedback wheel for the 360, and not the upcoming Speed wheel.

Last edited:
I am fully expecting this wheel to blow the Microsoft WRW out of the water. It is a revamp of the Saitek S550, and although I bitched about the price, I realize that it's going to cost $230 USD for a reason. Given MadCatz recent track record in quality controllers that cost north of $100, I absolutely believe that this wheel will not be a cheap waste of money like the Microsoft WRW (in some opinions).

Note, Microsoft WRW refers to the discontinued Force Feedback wheel for the 360, and not the upcoming Speed wheel.

A german shop (alternate.de) has it listed with a picture and the price tag is 100 € which are 144 $. It is the new wireless wheel from madcatz, the one they have shown. They are not in stock as from now, but will be available soon. Just visit the side, because i am not sure, if i am allowed to post the link.

Edit: I just saw it at amazon.de for 130 € and in stock. Doesnt look bad, but i stay with fanatec.

A german shop (alternate.de) has it listed with a picture and the price tag is 100 € which are 144 $. It is the new wireless wheel from madcatz, the one they have shown. They are not in stock as from now, but will be available soon. Just visit the side, because i am not sure, if i am allowed to post the link.

Edit: I just saw it at amazon.de for 130 € and in stock. Doesnt look bad, but i stay with fanatec.

Unforuntately, the 100 Euro wheel is the cheaper non-FFB wireless one they launched a little while back.. (In fact on Amazon.co.uk it's only £69.99 , about 78 Euros..

Here is the image of the non-FFB cheaper wheel.
5859620287_5be51ccd0e.jpg

Compared to their image of the new FFB one.
5859620261_1168cf5e1e.jpg

If they did the FFB new one for 100 - 120 Euros', it'd be perfect..

Phil-t already provided most of my answer. This wheel isn't on the market as of now. Then again I haven't checked MadCatz' site in the past few weeks, but I am sure it's not on sale yet.

:edit:

Just looked at Gameshark and Madcatz.com, and... nope. Not on sale yet.

:edit 2:

The wheel will be "in time for the Holiday 2011 season". I think we will see them on sale in Late September, a few weeks before FM4 hits the shelves. But this is a rough guess.

Here's where I got the estimated release window from...
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=69024&highlight=&p=irol-newsArticle_print&ID=1571477

And in case no one looked at MadCatz' site for info on the wheel... http://www.madcatz.com/wheel
Nothing new there, but there are more (smallish) pictures of it.

👍

Last edited:
Exactly ;) If I can finally get a wheel that enables me to use it on all platforms for a relatively low price, I'll be all over it. Hell if there was a game that I felt was good enough, I would've even shelled out for a Fanatac already...

Sorry to be late to this conversation, but judging by the above statement there is currently no FFB wheel that works on both systems? What a crock that is. Wish I was in the console accessory business...

Sorry to be late to this conversation, but judging by the above statement there is currently no FFB wheel that works on both systems? What a crock that is. Wish I was in the console accessory business...

Yup, the Fanatecs work on both systems.

I'm fine with just having paddles for now, being used to my DFGT. I'm sure the cheaper pedals are probably better than what the DFGT has to offer.

Might just end up playing FM4 with a controller. Don't want the hassle of buying another expensive wheel and not liking it and/or the game.

So the GT2 wheel is $250, and it says it doesn't come with pedals. The pedals are $200, so....wow. Going to have to think long and hard about this one.

Hopefully the upcoming CSR pedals will be closer to the $99.00 mark. So a GT2 with only a set of pedals (with a load cell brake pedal) would be $350.00. IMO that is a damn good price for what you get. Now that i think about it... That is exactly what I am going to do. The shifter set can wait for a bit... then again they are only $30 for the standard set... GT2 with a shifter and a good set of pedals all under $400.00, maybe $420.00 including shipping... :drool:

As for the MadCatz wheel, the price has not officially been announced... But $230 seems to be a bit much for a wheel that may little more than a well built version of the Microsoft WRW, or it can be a surprising little piece of machinery that goes beyond many people's expectations. We will find out soon enough though.

I don’t think Fanatec are worth the cash if you ask me you can pick up a Microsoft wheel off ebay at a good price and get the same results, I don’t understand why some people think a 500 $ set up is going to make you play better than someone on a pad or an xbox360 wheel its not the case. Also I wouldn’t risk a 500$ set up with use on just an xbox360, I just don’t trust them or the game makers for them to produce good results I would rather be disappointed with a cheaper wheel.

I don’t think Fanatec are worth the cash if you ask me you can pick up a Microsoft wheel off ebay at a good price and get the same results, I don’t understand why some people think a 500 $ set up is going to make you play better than someone on a pad or an xbox360 wheel its not the case. Also I wouldn’t risk a 500$ set up with use on just an xbox360, I just don’t trust them or the game makers for them to produce good results I would rather be disappointed with a cheaper wheel.

Having spent years on the MS Wheel, and had a Fanatec PWTS for over a year, I can agree that a more expensive wheel won't necessarily make you faster, but that's not what people buy them for, they buy them for the better experience..

However, I can say that I did instantly improve, the clubsport pedals (you did say $500 setup) where definitely part of that, and the wheel's adjustability was the other part..

And of course, it works on all platforms, so if you do have a PS3/PC/360 and want a solid wheel that gives much better FFB and a nicer experience, and actually use it, it's well worth the money.

I take it you have owned a Fanatec wheel then?

I take it you have owned a Fanatec wheel then?

To you question know I don’t own one and if you read my first post it basically tells you why. I don’t care how real it feels or looks I am looking for something that will improve my lap times on track and handles generally good, You cant tell me using a clutch pedal or stick to change gears is faster, to me the less parts used the faster you will be able to react in the game . ~Ok if someone is looking just for it to feel real as in being in a” real car” then yes it probably be the best thing out but in online gaming I see it being a bit of a handicap .

To you question know I don’t own one and if you read my first post it basically tells you why. I don’t care how real it feels or looks I am looking for something that will improve my lap times on track and handles generally good, You cant tell me using a clutch pedal or stick to change gears is faster, to me the less parts used the faster you will be able to react in the game . ~Ok if someone is looking just for it to feel real as in being in a” real car” then yes it probably be the best thing out but in online gaming I see it being a bit of a handicap .

Actually its been proven to improve laps times in most cases. Also, you can use the paddle shifters and not use the clutch although in Forza 3 you get quicker lap times with a clutch for some reason.

Back