A-spec Expert Level Rain Master: Nürburgring Nordschleife

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 459 comments
That old Corvette was terrible to drive. The battle was not against the others cars but to keep it on the track ;)

IMG_0562.JPG

Talking about old cars, this one was a charm to drive.

IMG_0563.JPG

This one is my favorite 500PP race car. Did a few mistakes and still too good for the game!

IMG_0564.JPG

“A car is just a car. You bang it up, you fix it. You move on to the next one - a faster one.

I’ve never been sentimental about loving one car over another. So, it kind of surprised me how I felt taking the old Hudson around the track, remembering the first time, the young man I was then and the big dreams I had. You know what? They all came true. This is like returning to my first love.”

Mario Andretti

VIDEO
Mario Andretti Story - Reunion

Mario Andretti Story - First Love

Mario Andretti First Love - Day 1
Mario Andretti First Love - Day 3
Mario Andretti First Love - Day 2
Mario Andretti First Love - Day 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KyT0xqDi_E
Mario Andretti First Love - Day 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF0ayKoLTLc

Edit: So sorry it got spammed all over with the auto Layout. Keep editing, it turns out the same. Give up editing. Sorry again.

Last edited:
I did it! I beat the Elise 111R

I modified @Dashyankuuro's settings as follows:

Tires: Racing IW
Downforce: 111, 350
Oil Change

Transmission

Initial final: 5.500
Max. Speed: 99 MPH (minimum)
1: 2.608
2: 1.945
3: 1.546
4: 1.277
5: 1.074
Final Gear: 3.200

Use at your own risk! (not a tuner)

I noticed that the Elise seemed to give up once I passed him (cleanly). I say that because he was doing times of 8:39.xxx. In any case, I think that there are still a couple of seconds that could be dropped.

IMG_3803_small.jpg

I did it! I beat the Elise 111R

I modified @Dashyankuuro's settings as follows:

Tires: Racing IW
Downforce: 111, 350
Oil Change

Transmission

Initial final: 5.500
Max. Speed: 99 MPH (minimum)
1: 2.608
2: 1.945
3: 1.546
4: 1.277
5: 1.074
Final Gear: 3.200

Use at your own risk! (not a tuner)

I noticed that the Elise seemed to give up once I passed him (cleanly). I say that because he was doing times of 8:39.xxx. In any case, I think that there are still a couple of seconds that could be dropped.

View attachment 544676
Having higher rear downforce to 350 did it help the car in speed down the long straight, because I have mine set to 111 rear downforce ?.

Having higher rear downforce to 350 did it help the car in speed down the long straight, because I have mine set to 111 rear downforce ?.

I don't think that it helped on the straights but it did help on the curves. I suspect that if I back it off I can find the sweet spot for faster straight line speed but just enough corner control. I did notice that I had to be real careful with the throttle.

Well, 8:22:804 is the best time I seem to be able to get so far. Been hanging around the 8:30-8:35's today trying all the gt500's, HSV's seem to like the rain the most.
I haven't tried the Lotus RC's yet, might try the 'Sport' one as they consider it a race car if I remember right.
Would love to hit near 8:00:000 like some of you, lol.

20160508_235851.jpg

Edit, changed pic and time to updated best time.

Last edited:
Talking about the old Hudson. The first corners did overtake one car, was happy not to finish last. Then another one, going to 12 - 11 - 10 - 9th place, was closing to 8th place then a long straight... 9 - 10 - 11 -12 Grrr!

I knew tight corners was ahead before the long straight so I did manage to get in 5th place. Was dreaming about a top three... then the long straight, 6 - 7 - 8 Grrr!!

Good handling car, soooo slow!

IMG_0566.JPG

Yellow Light is a Rain Driving Light; very effective especially on the rain/snow, most Rally & Le Mans adapt this. As the higher wavelength in color spectrum; it penetrates rains. And give a better contrast between white snow and whiter snow, between black tarmac and a black shadow. Widely used for hunting too.

U can't see 'rain drop particle' with white headlight, yellow light help more on gap spatial estimation.

Last edited:
I had some of the AI where in the right place at the right time which made thing hard for me to overtake them in the corners, if the AI where not in some of the corners you can get a better time.
Seems to happen somewhere at least 3 or 4 times.
And I'm not affraid to be all Mad Max either, I will cut the lawn to pass if it looks good, and God help you if we're side by side and I've got grip, . . . 'cuz your ass is about to get a Spy Hunter side swipe, lol. Yet I still find issues that I have to slow down and wait to pass or risk doing donuts if it goes wrong.
1/2 the cars I've tried 'Toge' slick, but top speed only hits around 140.
The other 1/2 are not great at maneuvering, but if your careful make up for it with top speeds 180 or more.
The gt500's seem to be the middle ground, topping 148-155 or so, and handle well.
I really don't want to try the Rabbits out. Just not interested.

I had some of the AI where in the right place at the right time which made thing hard for me to overtake them in the corners, if the AI where not in some of the corners you can get a lot better time.View attachment 544837

I know this is going to sound crazy, and probably impossible, but I believe somehow that the AI move according to the best possible scenario for the car you're driving. There have been so many times when I'm driving the same track, over and over and over, getting the first 5-10 corners down more and more perfect as I drive, and in finding that perfect line the AI are exactly right at the apexs...and in more than 1 corner. Again, call me crazy, but this has happened more times than I can count. At first it doesn't seem so because I'm not driving the first corners perfect, I'm learning the car/track, but the better I get at driving the car and learning the track, the more the AI are in the absolute wrong place at the wrong time for me to get the perfect line.

The only solution I have found is to restart with a different field, which presents its own problems. You get used to knowing where the AI are and start driving around them like cones, and when that changes, it can really upset your balance, but it must be done in some cases.

The other thing I find weird is that when I go balls-out and get past the AI before the corner, I'm never set quite right for the next corner. It's not because of the speed, it's because of the angle of attack. So it's actually faster to be slower than the AI in some corners, and go around them at a different spot in order to approach the next corner from the proper angle (the correct racing line).

It's like the PD knows how to make it hard for you to produce a great time...no matter what car you're driving or with what tune.

I know, I know, I'm crazy.

I know this is going to sound crazy, and probably impossible, but I believe somehow that the AI move according to the best possible scenario for the car you're driving. There have been so many times when I'm driving the same track, over and over and over, getting the first 5-10 corners down more and more perfect as I drive, and in finding that perfect line the AI are exactly right at the apexs...and in more than 1 corner. Again, call me crazy, but this has happened more times than I can count. At first it doesn't seem so because I'm not driving the first corners perfect, I'm learning the car/track, but the better I get at driving the car and learning the track, the more the AI are in the absolute wrong place at the wrong time for me to get the perfect line.

The only solution I have found is to restart with a different field, which presents its own problems. You get used to knowing where the AI are and start driving around them like cones, and when that changes, it can really upset your balance, but it must be done in some cases.

The other thing I find weird is that when I go balls-out and get past the AI before the corner, I'm never set quite right for the next corner. It's not because of the speed, it's because of the angle of attack. So it's actually faster to be slower than the AI in some corners, and go around them at a different spot in order to approach the next corner from the proper angle (the correct racing line).

It's like the PD knows how to make it hard for you to produce a great time...no matter what car you're driving or with what tune.

I totally agree on what you are saying 👍.

no surprise realy :)

by now more or less easy wins with any of them:
Roadster RaceCar
s2000 race car
Elise 111 race car
any of the GT300 cars limited to 500PP
and at least a Lexus IS 200 GT-1 which was most fun because the weakest of all of them.

with all of them you even win with spinning off of the track at least one time ... proofed :D

For me i found out that the Inters a couple of seconds faster compared to the heavy-wets on all them. Way better handling and grip.

no your not,I keep running into the back of the AI cars right at the apex almost every time,half the time you can run wide outside line to pass others you have to wait or pass half on the grass/half on track.

no surprise realy :)

by now more or less easy wins with any of them:
Roadster RaceCar
s2000 race car
Elise 111 race car
any of the GT300 cars limited to 500PP
and at least a Lexus IS 200 GT-1 which was most fun because the weakest of all of them.

with all of them you even win with spinning off of the track at least one time ... proofed :D

For me i found out that the Inters a couple of seconds faster compared to the heavy-wets on all them. Way better handling and grip.
Do you know what race time you did on the Lexus IS 200 GT-1, because I love this car but I have not use it yet, thanks

I agree, it might be severe coincidence, but it seems so.
There's also the factor of AI randomly screwing up, and they do. I ran the same car, same race, over and over just to make up some of the cash I blew trying new cars. And I always saw the exact same cars, in the exact same place, mostly. BUT, on a few occasions, with no fault of my own (I wasn't near them), different cars would spin out, go into the ditch and such. This making the cars near them alter thier copycat laps and from that point forward nothing is the same. Even when your way past them and up to the leader pack, cars that weren't near the incident, are not doing what they normally did the last 15 races. Next race, noone spins out, everyone is back on script.
What we are seeing [imho] is obviously AI programming, but also linked programming. The cars are not individually on seperate programs, but yet, all linked. One program gets altered, slightly alters the rest. (Domino's) You getting to the 1/2 way mark with such and such a time, alters the second 1/2 of AI program. You get there next race 5 seconds faster, altering completely different the Ai program.
I think (wish I saved the replays) the few times I saw AI wipe out down the road, were when I was ahead of my normal time maybe? The AI possibly trying to make a pile-up or obstacles in my path ahead?
Part of what your thinking, and part of what I'm thinking, is just normal working theorys that our minds form while driving. Part of it though, is our minds overworking and trying to see some pattern in a somewhat random sequence of events. Racing the same race 100 times makes us think too much, lol.

Do you know what race time you did on the Lexus IS 200 GT-1, because I love this car but I have not use it yet, thanks
sorry i realy cant remember but it was at least with a 8 - 10 seconds gap to he second.
Though i drove a horrible setup for doing the first shot with a never used before car.

i might fix the setup a bit to make it less nervous and try again.

any wishes concering tune ? do you like the time with a untuned engine or something ?

Talking about the old Hudson. The first corners did overtake one car, was happy not to finish last. Then another one, going to 12 - 11 - 10 - 9th place, was closing to 8th place then a long straight... 9 - 10 - 11 -12 Grrr!

I knew tight corners was ahead before the long straight so I did manage to get in 5th place. Was dreaming about a top three... then the long straight, 6 - 7 - 8 Grrr!!

Good handling car, soooo slow!

View attachment 544770

Even me doing #7, u alien should do far Top..

FordLaser777
I'll leave the Hudson in front of ur house ya. Key's in the GloveBox. No scratch, please..

#Mario Andretti's 1948 Hudson
Tyre RS
Ride 140/140
Spring 5.40/4.60
Chassis 4/4, 4/4, 3/3
Camber 0.0/0.0
Toe 0.00/0.00
Brake 1/1
Transmission
Final 5.500
Auto-Set 120kmph
1st 1.948
2nd 1.292
3rd 0.936
Final 2.652

GT6 First Love "Why the Hudson?"

I ran the same car, same race, over and over just to make up some of the cash I blew trying new cars. And I always saw the exact same cars, in the exact same place, mostly. BUT, on a few occasions, with no fault of my own (I wasn't near them), different cars would spin out, go into the ditch and such. This making the cars near them alter thier copycat laps and from that point forward nothing is the same. Even when your way past them and up to the leader pack, cars that weren't near the incident, are not doing what they normally did the last 15 races. Next race, noone spins out, everyone is back on script.

Yes, exactly.

I actually don't look at my sector times when I'm driving, I look at the red number that pops up showing how far behind I am, until it turns blue, and then I look at that number (and write them down as I'm driving). It's a perfect gauge to see where I am 99.9% of the time because the AI are so exact in their programming.

Another thing I find weird is that, once I'm in front of the lead AI, if I sandbag a bit, letting him keep up, he finishes much stronger than if I just leave him like he's sitting still. It's like he's real, and if he feels like he's got a chance he fights harder, but if he knows there is no chance to catch me, he gives up.

Worse still is if I follow him for a bit, letting him think he can win, then he really drives good.

The PD programmers are many things, but stupid isn't one of them.

The Stubborn Triplet (86,BRZ, FR-S) wears No Livery to save Weight & Better Aerodynamics :lol:

#Toyota 86 "Racing" '13
Tyre RS
Ride 86/86
Spring 17.25/11.08
Chassis 6/3, 8/3, 4/3
Camber 0.0/0.0
Toe 0.00/0.00
Brake 2/2
LSD 0/8, 0/6, 0/16
Parts All Max
Turbo Standard
Transmission