ABB Formula E 2018-19

• Thread starter TRLWNC7396
  • 95 comments
I've only watched a race or two over the last few years, but with them finally only needing 1 car per race I plan on trying to watch the whole season.

The car swap was pretty interesting. I wonder how that will change the competition.

The 15th is the first race. From the capital of Saudi.

With a support race, as well!

Apprehensive over the start of the new Season. Will the new cars be as good for racing as the last ones, and will the lack of a car swap make the races boring? This new format has a lot to live up to as Formula E has been brilliant up until now.

Still, lots of new drivers and teams and driver swaps, so it'll be an enthralling season.

Now we just need to see if Attack Mode is good, or worse than Fanboost.

I couldn't be bothered to watch the last few races last year because the only footage I could find online was from Eurosport and the commentator was awful. So bad. Monotone, no excitement, didn't know what was going on most the time.
Not excited for Attack Mode in the slightest.

Last edited:
Fanboost is the worst thing to happen to modern racing. It has nothing to do with anything relevant to the actual racing.

Fanboost is the worst thing to happen to modern racing. It has nothing to do with anything relevant to the actual racing.

Fan interaction isn't a bad thing, and it chucks another variable into the mix which can make it more entertaining for the average viewer. Getting the balance of it right is difficult and I'm not saying FE has it spot on, but I don't get this overtly purist knee-jerk reaction that it's the worse thing ever.

Fanboost would probably be OK if it weren't for the fact that the same drivers keep winning it, and then still not even using it in the race. It's an OK concept, but hasn't really changed over 4 seasons, and still has to change a bit.

Jaguar E-Pace still racing?

Any time one person challenges another to a test of speed, it is racing. Keep that in mind. It may not be open wheel danger, but it's still racing!

Ever been to an autocross? Nobody blinks an eye when a full sized station wagon goes out for its best time. ;)

It was (and is) a bit of a gimmick....

Fan interaction isn't a bad thing, and it chucks another variable into the mix which can make it more entertaining for the average viewer. Getting the balance of it right is difficult and I'm not saying FE has it spot on, but I don't get this overtly purist knee-jerk reaction that it's the worse thing ever.

Hence the gimmick.

Fanboost would probably be OK if it weren't for the fact that the same drivers keep winning it, and then still not even using it in the race. It's an OK concept, but hasn't really changed over 4 seasons, and still has to change a bit.

And this is the REAL problem of fanboost. Only a few ever won it, and they couldn't always use it due to battery consumption.

Neat idea, but it ended up being a hindrance.

I am very interested in seeing what this "attack mode" does to the races.

We shall see. ;)

Any time one person challenges another to a test of speed, it is racing. Keep that in mind. It may not be open wheel danger, but it's still racing!

Ever been to an autocross? Nobody blinks an eye when a full sized station wagon goes out for its best time. ;)

It was (and is) a bit of a gimmick....

Hence the gimmick.

And this is the REAL problem of fanboost. Only a few ever won it, and they couldn't always use it due to battery consumption.

Neat idea, but it ended up being a hindrance.

I am very interested in seeing what this "attack mode" does to the races.

We shall see. ;)
Just looked it up. Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy, is still billed as a Support category. Good stuff.

Hence the gimmick.

Perhaps, but my point is that doesn't make it a bad thing in itself. Sure it'd be nice if gimmicks weren't necessary, but the risk then is always that you'll end up with something 'purer', but less interesting - personally I think that's something that open-wheel series often suffer from.

Perhaps, but my point is that doesn't make it a bad thing in itself. Sure it'd be nice if gimmicks weren't necessary, but the risk then is always that you'll end up with something 'purer', but less interesting - personally I think that's something that open-wheel series often suffer from.
Exactly. DRS is a Gimmick that a load of people hate, but it has been a runaway success and has made races a lot more interesting. And it has never meant a universal overtake when you open it. Even with DRS, drivers get stuck behind others for tens of laps. DRS is great because it is visible, and you can see the driver trying to get past. It's better than an invisible Push-to-Pass which you can never see unless a fancy graphic appears telling you it's open.

Yeah, the LEDs on the Halo do just that

I'm thinking some that makes it look more like...

OE8d.gif

I'll give it a go once they're racing somewhere where state-sponsored dismemberments aren't a thing.

No matter how hard I try, I can't wrap my head around what they were thinking taking the series into this :censored:hole.

I have no idea which channel will be broadcasting the new Formula E championship.

Track drying mid quali, should make for a mixed grid and plenty of overtakes, or attempts at lunges, track looks pretty constricting in places.

Gen2 cars look a lot better, more modern.

Last edited:
Judging by what happened during the race, it looks to me like Fan Boost has been made redundant by Attack Mode, if only because of the level of power the driver receives, and the duration in which that power can be used.

FB isn't going anywhere purely because of the level of engagement it gives to spectators, but even with the time lost by going through the AM zone, the positives seem to far outweigh the negatives.

Not bad for what basically amounts to a gimmick...

Very POed with Fox sports (surprise surprise) who decided the race wasn’t worth showing until there were 20 minutes left.. those last 20 minutes were fascinating though

Back