ABB Formula E 2018-19

• Thread starter TRLWNC7396
  • 95 comments
Really enjoyed that. Lots of overtakes. The new cars look great on track. I like the attack mode. Really wish we could see these cars racing on permanent circuits because I think the racing would be even better.

I wasn't sure about attack mode, but I think it's been implemented well and does a good job replacing the strategy element that was lost with the removal of car changes. I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the season.

I wasn't sure about attack mode, but I think it's been implemented well and does a good job replacing the strategy element that was lost with the removal of car changes. I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the season.
After watching the race, I don't think it was implemented well. Drivers could just drive into it after a SC and lose nothing. They were forced to use it. It also feels like they're fixing a problem that doesn't exist. The cars could follow.

The strategy element could have been done with tyres. Starting on slicks on that greasy track would have potentially resulted in an interesting situation. Or even degrading tyres forcing a stop for tyres as well as giving an interesting strategic development. Or 2 compounds.

Drivers could just drive into it after a SC and lose nothing.

While I would like to see that get addressed, it's not that big of a deal to me either. No matter what they do, safety cars usually benefit some people and put others at a disadvantage.

The strategy element could have been done with tyres. Starting on slicks on that greasy track would have potentially resulted in an interesting situation. Or even degrading tyres forcing a stop for tyres as well as giving an interesting strategic development. Or 2 compounds.

Ideally that would be the better solution, but it would also be far more costly for the teams unless you also implemented a lame time requirement for the tire changes.

While I would like to see that get addressed, it's not that big of a deal to me either. No matter what they do, safety cars usually benefit some people and put others at a disadvantage.
That wasn't my main problem either. I highlighted many other reasons why I dislike it. At least with DRS, F1 cars have been historically difficult to follow and the problem had been discussed for many seasons. But it just doesn't seem justified with these cars.

Ideally that would be the better solution, but it would also be far more costly for the teams unless you also implemented a lame time requirement for the tire changes.
Understandable in terms of costs. But it's not like you've got Coyne and Manor in the series as the main teams. You've got big manufacturers like Audi and BMW to name a few.

You can also force spec wheelguns and people per wheel if you want to reduce costs.

I'll just leave it at that.

Still waiting for you to offer any evidence for your original statement... so far you and your fanclub still seem to be falling back on calling other people fanboys than offering anything obje... oh wait, it was subjective wasn't it... never mind.

Man, that Gen 2 car looks great on track!
Racing was good and the Attack Mode worked well. Still not diggin' the Fan Boost, but it seems almost redundant now, so I don't care.
Should end up being an exciting season.

Still waiting for you to offer any evidence for your original statement... so far you and your fanclub still seem to be falling back on calling other people fanboys than offering anything obje... oh wait, it was subjective wasn't it... never mind.

It's a subjective thing considering nobodies definition of bare minimum will be the same (this has nothing to do with their success). In my opinion it seems like BMW has rarely gotten fully behind any of their programs. That's not to say they aren't good and are failures, just that it seems they could be performing better than they have been.

And just to keep it FE related, let's not forget that BMW isn't exactly running the program by themselves. They went and aligned themselves with one of the top teams in IndyCar.

It's a subjective thing considering nobodies definition of bare minimum will be the same (this has nothing to do with their success). In my opinion it seems like BMW has rarely gotten fully behind any of their programs. That's not to say they aren't good and are failures, just that it seems they could be performing better than they have been.
I have the feeling your view is a bit US-centric. BMW is represented in most major racing series' here and winning races and titles everywhere. I've just read your post in the other thread and don't quite get how you could come to that conclusion. The only other European manufacturer being so widespread in current motorsport is VW, and mostly because of all their daughter brands.

I have the feeling your view is a bit US-centric. BMW is represented in most major racing series' here and winning races and titles everywhere.

With full factory programs or customer programs?

It was interesting, I haven't seen a race since season one really. The cars are sexy and can actually follow closely and overtake. Wow.

The production is super low budget or rough though. You couldnt understand the radios and commentators didn't even know rules.

Nice that it's on YouTube though instead of stuffed on some cable channel I don't have.

With full factory programs or customer programs?
Both, but it doesn't matter, the commitment is there.
It was interesting, I haven't seen a race since season one really. The cars are sexy and can actually follow closely and overtake. Wow.

The production is super low budget or rough though. You couldnt understand the radios and commentators didn't even know rules.

Nice that it's on YouTube though instead of stuffed on some cable channel I don't have.
Yeah, they really need to work on some of that stuff. At least the commentary itself is all right and it's fun to listen to 'em.

You've got that all wrong with the production.

The team radios are broadcast live, so if the driver doesn't talk, the graphics will be there silent.

The team radios are broadcast live, so if the driver doesn't talk, the graphics will be there silent.

The radios popped up and you couldn't hear them with horrible quality, the commentators kept talking over them, and they complained about stuff like timing not working. They were also confused what the rules even were and lots of cars including the leader got drive through penalties that weren't explained. Barely saw anyone drive through the Attack Mode activation zones or what they did while using it.

I'm a new FE viewer that's used to racing series like F1 and WEC, this was very rough. I hope it gets better.

I have to say I like Dario and Bob, but the English fella is dreadful, and there was plenty of talking over driver radios. Also... Vernon Kaye... I just can't forgive that.

Formula E definitely has it's positives and its negatives*, I'm fully glad that the coverage is as free and easy as it is, but the quality of it does need to improve.

* see what I did there...

Race was good. Was able to find a replay of the broadcast that doesn't have crap commentators.
Still not sold on Attack Mode. It really isn't needed. I especially don't like that it's mandatory.

I think I'm in the minority, but I miss the mid race car swaps.

Finally getting a chance to watch. The announcers are the same as they have been all four years. Good to hear them again.

Excellent racing as always. Attack mode looks interesting.

Quite the difficult track!

The jaguar race was good, as well.

The Race fixed the biggest issue that plagued Formula E, energy saving. Attack Mode was basically a Joker Lap from RallyCross. Basically the Joker Lap Meets DRS, I hope they remove that. The circuit was Bathurst meets Street Circuit, and that First Turn was a Disaster. TeCheetah will probably run away with the Championship after seeing how easily the DS powertrain pulled away, the only way Da Costa won was because JEV got a drive-through.

Also the English Fella is Jack Nicholls, used to Commentate FIA GT1 and FIA GT.
Started out Commentating for AutoGP and Formula Sim Racing Back in 2010.

Last edited:
The weak link in the commentary team is Bob Varsha, not Jack Nichols. Varsha only occasionally says something, and it it usually him explaining something very basic or pointing out something not important. It's better than the time he was main commentator in Season 1 Long Beach, but he has always seemed surplus to requirements as Jack and Dario have been brilliant from day 1.

Sometimes when there is a clash with F1, Jack gets replaced by the just as good Martin Haven.

The weak link in the commentary team is Bob Varsha, not Jack Nichols. Varsha only occasionally says something, and it it usually him explaining something very basic or pointing out something not important

Varsha comes across as professional commentator delivering information about the race, Nicholls comes across as an excitable person who has never seen a Formula E race before and just wants to keep his lips flapping even if his brain hasn't yet thought about what he wants to say, and it was mostly Nicholls confusion that made things seem so badly executed - I thought he was dreadful to be honest.

Jack gets replaced by the just as good Martin Haven.

... clearly we have different opinions on what Good means! I'd be happy if I never heard Havens voice again, I literally find his commentary and the manner of his commentary obnoxious.

Was bored enough today to watch the Formula E race (tried watching a couple the past few years). This was the first one I was able to finish.

My take on it, generally:

GOOD
+The racing was good.
+The cars look pretty good.
+The driver roster is excellent.

BAD
-I really can't get into sprint races, the lack of pit stops, endurance, refueling, etc. just really dims my enthusiasm.
-The sound sucks but this I can deal with, as we don't hear much in normal racing videos/coverage anyway.
-If Bob Varsha is on the announcing team...I'd like to see him actually announce. Sounds incredibly awkward, sneaking in an occasional half sentence before he's cut off by the British dude who's leading the show. If they don't work together as an announce team, it makes Varsha's participation feel really forced and awkward as hell.

OVERALL
I feel like I'm watching a celebrity driver's race, or a large format Race of Champions rather than a proper motorsport. The super short race just really kills it for me. On the plus side, something I can watch when I have limited time I guess. Full disclosure, I love endurance racing more than most other forms of motorsport, so this is a tough sell to me.

I liked Varsha as a commentator for Speed TV's F1 coverage back in the day, but his role in FE seems pointless since he does not say a word 99% of the time, and when he does it's something that makes me think to myself "well no ****, bob."

Considering Varsha caters to the idiot and first time viewer, the less of him we hear the better

As long as they keep it like it is and don't go the NASCAR route (Where it's the entire broadcast instead of 1 commentator), I'm fine with it.

Back