Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,214 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me?
Seems the more I drive this car, the less I like it. I do like the car, it sounds great, the cockpit view is awesome. It has a great powerband and well matched transmission. But as I get more time in it I enjoy it less. Dunno why, It might be too easy to drive.

It is easy to drive, but I like it because you can race very close and not have to worry about losing it in a crash because of a tricky car (kinda).
 
I don't think it's the car. It's the DRC+this car. Turn 1 and (especially) the bus-stop require constant concentration + the car likes to slide a bit during high-speed maneuvers that involve braking if one isn't smooth enough=momentary lapse in concentration equals a butt-load of time and positions lost=frustration.
 
It is easy to drive, but I like it because you can race very close and not have to worry about losing it in a crash because of a tricky car (kinda).

It is a comfortable car to race because it is easy to keep in control. Racing is different than driving though.

I don't think it's the car. It's the DRC+this car. Turn 1 and (especially) the bus-stop require constant concentration + the car likes to slide a bit during high-speed maneuvers that involve braking if one isn't smooth enough=momentary lapse in concentration equals a butt-load of time and positions lost=frustration.

I would enjoy driving the car more if it was more "slidey". When I am driving around and not racing I am invariably in a lower powered street car in comfort tires that slides controlably. I often cycle through track creator tracks and test them without using the hud. This I find extremely exhilarating. I usually push until I crash then go on to the next track.
 
With me still learning the G27, I prefer to be sideways as little as possible.
 
With me still learning the G27, I prefer to be sideways as little as possible.

Curious, are you using the clutch and H shifter? I do (G25)when messing around or practicing, but find I am invariably much faster using the paddles to shift.
 
I would enjoy driving the car more if it was more "slidey".
In slow corners - sure. In a 100mph+ corner with a single and pretty narrow driving line through it - not so much.
 
I'd love to have you, and all of us, in the picture. But since you made 51 out of 52 points already, I'm glad you weren't in the the race!:sly:

well if thats the case then i will try harder on GP/F :gtpflag:

let's see if i can get some guys to :banghead: after this week :cheers:
 
Lucky, was your 2'03.1 on DRC in free run or during a race? How many laps did you have on that tank of fuel?
 
And to think I held out and only ran twice...

I'll go ahead and start the numbers game for next week... Just went and turned about 20 laps at Nurb GP/F, fastest lap was...

2:20.075

Some of you fast guys get out there so I can see how far off the pace I am! :lol:

I just spent about an hour practicing at GP/F and my fastest lap was a 2:20.2
 
Curious, are you using the clutch and H shifter? I do (G25)when messing around or practicing, but find I am invariably much faster using the paddles to shift.

I do the same thing. I'll use clutch when I'm messing around, but I always use paddles in official races.
 
Lucky, was your 2'03.1 on DRC in free run or during a race? How many laps did you have on that tank of fuel?
Lack of reply after you asked three times kinda suggests that it was in free run with fuel/tire wear off ;)
 
Lucky, was your 2'03.1 on DRC in free run or during a race? How many laps did you have on that tank of fuel?

in free run mode with approximately 8-9 laps of fuel out of the car and new tires. so maybe a little skewed time but none the less thats my best time! 👍
 
The results and league tables from Saturday's race have now been updated.
 
Saturday's results are not yet posted.
 
^ Be patient Johnny, the Elves are working on it! (the image automatically refreshes twice per day).
 
^ Be patient Johnny, the Elves are working on it! (the image automatically refreshes twice per day).

The elves updated the image about 5 mins before I submitted the results. D'oh!

They should be showing correctly now. For some reason I had to do a CTRL+F5 in Firefox to see the updated image.
 
The results and league tables from Saturday's race have now been updated.

My results aren't flowing through to the standings because I signed up under Diabolical_J but I raced under GTP_Diabolical. TrackBound7 has the same issue. Should I just sign up again under my GTP name, or is that something you can just fix in the spreadsheet? Sorry if it's a pain to fix.
 
My results aren't flowing through to the standings because I signed up under Diabolical_J but I raced under GTP_Diabolical. TrackBound7 has the same issue. Should I just sign up again under my GTP name, or is that something you can just fix in the spreadsheet? Sorry if it's a pain to fix.

I've amended the registration database and the elves should have the updated results, etc completed in the next half hour. If they demand extra wages, I'll send them your way! :sly:
 
Anyone gonna be in the lounge later today for some testing or practice races? I'm getting tired of lapping by myself...
 
Naptown25rs
Anyone gonna be in the lounge later today for some testing or practice races? I'm getting tired of lapping by myself...

Sure, what time you wanna meet up?
 
Anyone gonna be in the lounge later today for some testing or practice races? I'm getting tired of lapping by myself...

I was planning on hopping in the lounge around 7pm EST or so. Haven't really turned any laps on GP/F yet and I want to get plenty of practice in.
 
I was planning on hopping in the lounge around 7pm EST or so. Haven't really turned any laps on GP/F yet and I want to get plenty of practice in.

I will see if I can drop-in.
What times are people getting so far?
2.17s 2.16s?
 
Last edited:
^ Scroll up a little bit and you'll see a couple posts from people doing around 2:20. If somebody's doing 1:17's they're on the wrong course. :sly:
 
^ Scroll up a little bit and you'll see a couple posts from people doing around 2:20. If somebody's doing 1:17's they're on the wrong course. :sly:
I'm a high 17 at best. I can do a 17.4 if I add up my best sectors.

We are at the Nurburgring GP/F track on Sports Soft?
 
^ Yep, full Grand Prix track on the same tires as DRC (sports soft all season).
 
2:17 seems more logical then 1:17 ;)


Haven't made a lap with the Alfa on GP/F however this one of my better tracks.
 
Sure, what time you wanna meet up?

I was planning on hopping in the lounge around 7pm EST or so. Haven't really turned any laps on GP/F yet and I want to get plenty of practice in.

Later this afternoon or evening works for me... It would be nice to have a decent group of cars for a couple of test races.
 
How many people on Friday were running 2-3 seconds a lap off pace? (restricted Internet at work)
 
Alright guys, time for a little group chat about driver etiquette. We are a laid back group and I try not to take things too seriously but we do expect everyone to adhere to the basic rules of clean driving. I had several complaints in my inbox about several different drivers after Saturday's races.

First, let me say that I believe everybody is here because they want to race with other gentleman and I expect that you do your best to drive as gentlemanly as possible. None of us are professionals and none of us have 100% control of our car 100% of the time, especially at a track like Daytona Road Course. I don't expect everyone to be perfect, but I do expect everyone to use their heads and be considerate of the other drivers in the race. Anticipate what the driver in front of/behind you is going to do and try to react accordingly, always on the side of caution. When other cars are around you it will effect how you drive, your braking points are going to change as well as your entry/exit points and you need to try to adapt for these things. You may not be able to take the same line that you practice during hot lapping, and there's nothing saying you're entitled to that line. However, the lead driver has the right to take WHATEVER line he wants (as long as it's legal and not deliberate blocking). The trailing driver(s) MUST respect this and act accordingly.

I was not in the races on Saturday so I don't have access to the replay and can't really analyze the incidents. Most of the complaints were about unsafe track re-entry from drivers who had spun. A spin results in frustration and we all want to get back on track asap to minimize any lost time but you MUST NOT pull onto the track in front of other drivers. Yes, it's frustrating to sit there and watch positions go by but it is the proper thing to do, both in sim racing and real world racing. So please, in all future races check that the track is clear before you re-enter the racing surface, and if you see other cars coming be a gentleman and let them by without trouble.

There were a few other complaints about people trying to pass through the bus-stop chicane. This is where using your head becomes important, we all know it's very tricky to get through there even when you're by yourself so why somebody would try to make a pass there is beyond me. Yes, it's possible to have a lot of extra speed from drafting which theoretically makes the pass feasible but it is ill-advised. Use your head, back off a bit and get a good run through the chicane so you can have maximum exit speed and overtake on the oval banking. You don't want to be in the lead after the bus-stop anyway as you will then be a sitting duck to anybody in your slipstream. Think ahead and plan accordingly.




Meeting adjourned.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back