Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,218 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
While we're posting cockpits...here's mine. Designed in a CAD software while killing time at work. I needed a "minimalist" rig that I could wheel into another room when need be. It does have a bar in the middle, however it's close enough the my waist that my legs don't hit it. It's not perfect but fits my needs.

Edit - I have all the measurements in a PDF form and a CAD file if anyone is interested.

CIMG5702.jpg


Owens, your newest one looks like a work of art with that curved metal, real solid.
 
My 'rig' consists of an organ stool, a Lazy Boy, and a carpet.
 
^ I've been there! Lol. I've gone through all sorts of make shift solutions, some better than others. This is the first serious/permanent one I've ever built.
 
OwensRacing
Racing Rigs!!!

I've built three of them since I started wheel racing last Jan.

This one is my kids. It is completely adjustable as for pedals in and out. Wheel in and out as well up and down. Then the wheel and pedals can be remove and used as a gaming chair. I made it a lil taller cause their tv is wall mounted and lil higher too.

The seat I got from a friend that worked for the molding company. Went on this game.

This is my first rig. G27 with inverted pedals. The wheel, pedal, and shifter placement was very relative to my real car. Measured and did best I could considering throw and size differences. seats from a SRT-4 "Viper inspired seat" it's comfy and that's what matters. LoL

This is my latest build. It uses the T500 RS

Left side exit:

Reason for using metal is I work at my fathers welding and machine shop. So materials are cheap and obviously my labor cost zero. So while these wouldn't be cheap to have made. I got very little out of pocket in them.

Very nice work Owens, your G27 and T500 rigs are bad ass!
 
Yeah? Yeah? Well, my ironing board ROCKS!

(No, really. I'll replace it with something DIY, cheap and portable as soon as I can :sly:).
 
Naptown25rs
Very nice work Owens, your G27 and T500 rigs are bad ass!

Your close enough that I'd could work a deal out for you. :)


Blind829
Owens, your newest one looks like a work of art with that curved metal, real solid.


Thanks man. The left side is a compound curve. Which isn't the easiest to accomplish. ;)

I really should of went through and designed mine on CAD. However my building skills came from Engineer on the fly. I sketch a basic idea and lay out function criteria. Then start at it. LoL
 
That's some beautiful work, Owens!!! Very impressive. 👍
 
I'll most likely build another one when the CSR Wheel is released. The detachable wheel one. Mmmmm that one I got some goofy ideas for. Just gotta man up and do it. Basically encapsulated triple monitor set up would be the over all idea.



Also I truly love seeing everyone's rigs. The custom ones always help me to add to the next one. ;)

The Pre fabbed ones are very nice and truly the way to go if you can swing the money for one.

Did not know this many of us are wheel users. Very cool.
 
OwensRacing
However my building skills came from Engineer on the fly. I sketch a basic idea and lay out function criteria. Then start at it. LoL

That's pretty much how I did mine. The next one I build will be much more thought out, using experience from this one, and taking into account 3 monitors. :)

Probably something like this.

imagerdc.jpg
 
BrandonW77
That's pretty much how I did mine. The next one I build will be much more thought out, using experience from this one, and taking into account 3 monitors. :)

Probably something like this.

That one would be really handy for a fully modded Yellowbird series.
 
OwensRacing
Your close enough that I'd could work a deal out for you. :)

I'm listening... 💡
 
Thanks for the racing tonight guys. Big help in boosting my motivation to race after a really poor weekend of racing. Ton of fun rubbing doors with Sag, NC, and Freaky. Siked to go back and check some replays and see what those fast guys are doing so special.
 
dsgerbc
Tim, what size monitor/TV is that?

It's 27" and as big as I would go mounted in cockpit and that close. Has speakers, but I usually use a headset for better sound.
 
WRP001
It's 27" and as big as I would go mounted in cockpit and that close. Has speakers, but I usually use a headset for better sound.

My kids got me a set of headphones for Christmas. I truly have fell in love with them. The loud level I want but afraid to wake neighbors can be achieved. Seems to really help with the concentration level.

Draw backs. You can't here anything ambient.
 
Some epic battles tonight with Owens, Carracer, Ncemt, Sagar and others. Looks like GP/F is going to be tough to pass on and rewards consistency above all. In a couple of the 4 lap sprints, NCemt and I went into the final corner parallel two races in a row, exited pretty much side by side and I won one of the drag races by .017 while NCemt won the other by half a car length. Great fun and really looking forward to the races!!
 
Johnnypenso
Some epic battles tonight with Owens, Carracer, Ncemt, Sagar and others. Looks like GP/F is going to be tough to pass on and rewards consistency above all. In a couple of the 4 lap sprints, NCemt and I went into the final corner parallel two races in a row, exited pretty much side by side and I won one of the drag races by .017 while NCemt won the other by half a car length. Great fun and really looking forward to the races!!

Um... I don't think that was me. Was it?
 
It's 27" and as big as I would go mounted in cockpit and that close. Has speakers, but I usually use a headset for better sound.
Thanks. Some dude on CL around here selling 3x24" ones. I'm wondering if just one 24" is too small to run in this cockpit, until I can also go 3x monitors ;)
 
dsgerbc
Thanks. Some dude on CL around here selling 3x24" ones. I'm wondering if just one 24" is too small to run in this cockpit, until I can also go 3x monitors ;)

No you'll be fine. I think 24" is actually the recommended size for the cockpit and you definitely want a 24 if you end up with 3x at some point.

Just make sure they have standard VESA mount.

http://www.obutto.com/faqs.html
 
I think 24" would be fine if you had three. Jake pointed out to me to look for the edging size of whatever monitor/TV you are using. If they are both 1", that's a 2" break between each screen. I lucked into a 40" Sony, [actually a 42", but I'm giving the real measurement of the screen] which is more than adequate for one screen.
But the edge is two inches, and when we lined up the three monitors, {Jake and Kenny's 32" TV's on the side with mine in the middle} there was such a disconnect in my peripheral vision that it was more of a distraction than a help. Granted, it takes some getting used to, but if or when I do three screens, I'm going to look for that.
 
^So what's a good bezel width? Ones listed locally are ~3/4in on the side, so about 1.5in gap.

I have a decent TV to use until I procure PS3s, monitors and hear Brandon's review. But would like to decide today if I'm ordering a 3-monitor stand along with Obutto ;)
 
The thinnest screen Jake ever sent a link of had a 3/4" side.
I don't know more than that, but I remember running a laser disc simulator in the 80's that had a round screen for a racing simulator. I've compared that to what the military is doing in the tank simulators, and the technology is there, just not commercial. {Give me some time!}
The idea is a screen that bends the necessary 270 degrees without distortion. It's there, you just can't have one! F1 simulator drivers are testing with these now, I would say. It's not that the technology is difficult, it's just expensive! :crazy:
 
I've just been looking at the calendar for the series and realise that round 6 starts on Tuesday 14th February. There's no way I'll be allowed out to play that night. :)
 
^ I've been there! Lol. I've gone through all sorts of make shift solutions, some better than others. This is the first serious/permanent one I've ever built.

When I build myself a rig, I intend to make the Lazy boy work somehow :p
 
Thanks. Some dude on CL around here selling 3x24" ones. I'm wondering if just one 24" is too small to run in this cockpit, until I can also go 3x monitors ;)

I'm getting 23" (hopefully today or tomorrow), I've sat in front of a 23" and it does seem a bit small by itself but with the two extra ones it become very big. Of course that's just looking at the physical screen, not with the game running. I started off playing on a 50" though, so my scale is a bit skewed.

The thinnest screen Jake ever sent a link of had a 3/4" side.
I don't know more than that, but I remember running a laser disc simulator in the 80's that had a round screen for a racing simulator. I've compared that to what the military is doing in the tank simulators, and the technology is there, just not commercial. {Give me some time!}
The idea is a screen that bends the necessary 270 degrees without distortion. It's there, you just can't have one! F1 simulator drivers are testing with these now, I would say. It's not that the technology is difficult, it's just expensive! :crazy:


There is a simpler/cheaper solution to the bezel problem. If you set them up right you can have the front monitor overlap the side monitors and cover the outer bezel's so you only have the thickness of one bezel. I'm going to try this method with mine. You can kinda see what I'm talking about in these videos:







Samsung also makes a "thin bezel" monitor with multi-screens in mind.




Also, if you have plenty of dough you can get the curved projector screens for seamless, wrap around action!

6196355m.jpg
 
I'm getting 23" (hopefully today or tomorrow),

I can see a sick day on the horizon for a certain Mr B! :lol:

Those setups are awsome but I'll have to wait for the kids to leave home before I can get anything like that!

Now wouldn't it be wonderful if you could do BD playback over multiple monitors.
 
Last edited:
What is BD playback?
 
What is BD playback?

Blu-ray playback - For some reason Sony decided Blu-Ray Disk (BD) would be the acronym.
 
Eh, when I watch movies I switch it over to the 50". :)
 
Eh, when I watch movies I switch it over to the 50". :)

I just thought it would be cool to watch a movie over the three monitors - The aspect ratio would be about right to fill them all, so no black bars.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back