Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,214 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Better train him to start left-foot braking now! :sly:
 
We have four drivers in the lounge (plus me), so if you want to race, come on down!
 
I'll hop in since it looks like people are needed.
 
I wasn't planning to race today at all, but I'm home early, do you still have small numbers?
 
2hqw321.jpg
[/IMG]

Nice setup there. 👍

Lucky I race with you guys at 6-7 am on a Sunday morning, as it gives me time to move out the rig and keep the wife happy when she wakes up lol.

I'll try to get a pic of my purple monstrousity tonight after work

edit: got my pic up finally.


Good luck to all today, hopefully the racing is competitive and clean.

Just thought I'd finally post my rig (I was sleeping when all the other pics went up).

RDAardvark, since you're spectating, love to hear your best Murray Walker impersonations in a play by play
 
Good luck to all today, hopefully the racing is competitive and clean.

Just thought I'd finally post my rig (I was sleeping when all the other pics went up).

RDAardvark, since you're spectating, love to hear your best Murray Walker impersonations in a play by play

Dave,

I fixed that picture for you:
kebabs.jpg


Steve

[Runs and hides]
 
Now that's what I call downforce lol
 
RDAardvark
Dave,

I fixed that picture for you:

Steve

[Runs and hides]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That's freaking brilliant, you crack me up Steve!!! Took me a moment to get it, then I burst out with laughter! :lol:
 
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That's freaking brilliant, you crack me up Steve!!! Took me a moment to get it, then I burst out with laughter! :lol:

I hope you're at work and getting funny looks!
 
Fixed that for you too :dopey:


o7m0wm.jpg

[Runs and hides]

Geeez,

Now I think I'm getting motion sickness :sick:, dsg, I never go that fast :scared: :lol:
 
In race 2, I led the first 2/3 of the first lap, and held fourth until the auto-countersteer decided to do absolutely nothing once when I got sideways. I'm pretty happy with myself.
 
In race 2, I led the first 2/3 of the first lap, and held fourth until the auto-countersteer decided to do absolutely nothing once when I got sideways. I'm pretty happy with myself.

Fine job, are you getting the hang of the wheel?

How many ended up racing?
 
The sooner you disable this - the better ;)

How do I do this? That was the first thing I tried to figure out.
 
How do I do this? That was the first thing I tried to figure out.

Set 'Active Steering' & 'ASM' "Disabled" in the menu you select the tires in.
And those were probably disabled during the race by RDAardvark, which might explain why they didn't kick in...
 
Last edited:
^^It still did it, it just didn't help any. It seems like it either does nothing or overcorrects. It's really the biggest obstacle I've had getting used to the wheel, I go slower because I know if I do get sideways, the chances of things ending well are not in my favor.
 
Set 'Active Steering' & 'ASM' "Disabled" in the menu you select the tires in.
And those were probably disabled during the race by RDAardvark, which might explain why they didn't kick in...

In my experience... ASM makes you slower. AS is an aid and will save you at times when you would otherwise spin out, but it takes away the feel of the car and a bad thing to get used to. It does NOT make you slower, one the contrary it could make you faster by allowing you to take some chances you shouldn't take. It's an artificial aid not nearly as extreme as skid recovery force, but not anything like a real life driving aid with the same name. Get used to driving without it. Our WRS-Online series used to allow it (because it's allowed offline since it can't be forced off or detected) and to help inexperienced or DS3 users, but some wheel users felt compelled to turn it on to compete on an even playing field with other drivers who used it (think PED). So we just banned it completely.
 
Lancer isn't talking about using an aid, he's talking about the wheel physically trying to re-center itself. This would feel incredibly foreign to a DS3 user. It took me a long time to get used to it, it's not quite like real life. I found turning the power steering on helps with this (in the options menu where you set force feedback strength).

@Lancer, don't be afraid to saw on that wheel. These things are very solid and are designed to handle this exact kind of use. I've been using Logitech FFB wheels for nearly a decade and I personally have never had a single problem.
 
Last edited:
^^It still did it, it just didn't help any. It seems like it either does nothing or overcorrects. It's really the biggest obstacle I've had getting used to the wheel, I go slower because I know if I do get sideways, the chances of things ending well are not in my favor.

LOL, memories of when I first started with my wheel, when it started to go, there was no way I was stopping it. I never knew of an auto countersteer though...:confused: I still struggle with the car when it gets sideways sometimes, not sure if this is because of my unstable wheel setup or just bad driving, but it seems to be getting better every time I strap in.
 
Lancer isn't talking about using an aid, he's talking about the wheel physically trying to re-center itself. This would feel incredibly foreign to a DS3 user.
Ah. Would've never thought of that ;)

With this in mind it now seems like Lancer is letting go of his wheel and waiting for it to center....
 
So my splits when just jotlapping last night in our room

S1 on pace, usually quicker (I know wtf?)
S2 back about 1/4 second
S3 1/4 to a half
at the finish line 5 seconds down?!?!!

I seriously don't understand how I lose so much time there.

So after the flat out left right (Schumacher-S) we go up the hill the a tightish left (Kumho-Kurve), exit 65-70 then the awkward right hander kills me (Bit-Kurve) and it leads to the easy Hatzenbects-Bogen and tight chicane (Veedol).

Someone want to talk me through the entry-apex-exit speeds there and a picture of a good line, because it is killing my laps.

Thanks.

I've seen this before, but at some time last night, the split times got messed up. I was up a few tenths down a few then all of a sudden in the first sector I was up 1.5, by the third I think I was up 2.5, then at the line I was down by .5. Sometimes the sector times get messed up and that did happen last night. So while one may have been even with the first three sectors the times were exaggerated too high leading you to believe you were on pace.
 
I don't think that's what I mean, I'm talking about when I'm sideways and the wheel turns the way I'm countersteering. If I let go, it goes full-lock countersteer and deposits the front end into the wall.
 
Hmmmmm, not sure then. It's not an anti-countsteer feature, I know that.

Anyway, the ORCA_Champ lounge is open for practice. Qualifying will start promptly at 8pm EST. We let 12 drivers race and there will be two spectator spots open after qualifying starts.
 
Any results from the early races?
 
@Lancer, do be afraid to saw on that wheel. These things are very solid and are designed to handle this exact kind of use. I've been using Logitech FFB wheels for nearly a decade and I personally have never had a single problem.
I guess you mean "DON"T" be afraid rather than "DO"!!! I can vouch for how tough the Logitech's are under driving circumstances. You are not going to break them that way. I had a long talk with myself, however, during GT Academy. I disabled one wheel, and popped the center of a second one. Certainly not proud of that!! But I'm just seconding Brandon's point. 👍
 
I guess you mean "DON"T" be afraid rather than "DO"!!! I can vouch for how tough the Logitech's are under driving circumstances. You are not going to break them that way. I had a long talk with myself, however, during GT Academy. I disabled one wheel, and popped the center of a second one. Certainly not proud of that!! But I'm just seconding Brandon's point. 👍

Yes indeed. Hammer away on them. Don't give it a second thought until you smell ozone. My wheel gets warm. They're built to handle it.
 
Only 6 people in the lounge? Hm.
 
I must first apologize for my abrupt exit from the race. As yuri experienced, I had no tyre noise, and for the first lap I had some inhospitable lag and missed every single turn-in. Screen tear, packet loss, the whole lot. I should have withdrawn in practice or qualifying when I noticed I was a second off pace. Unfortunately this is the second race I've had to forfeit due to network issues and I've thrown in the towel more often than I've completed a race. I can only assume it is on my end and for that I also would like to apologize.

It is to my greatest regret that I must withdraw from the series. You guys are a great lot and I really enjoy the car, but for me to commit the time for naught is just something I cannot come to terms with. I will be suspending my online racing until the issues are addressed. While it is certainly frustrating, I don't see another alternative while these online problems are ongoing.

That said, I cannot repeat enough what a great group this is and how wonderful the series is put on. I would like to stop in for some lapping now and again, but the network issues during the race are just too much for me to bear. I would also like to offer my assistance to anyone who requests it. I would be glad to run laps with any of you who may need to work out your line or want someone to bounce times off of. I hope to resume online racing when these widespread online issues are resolved. I wish you all the greatest of luck, and I yearn for the opportunity to compete again.

Marcus Garvey
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back