Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,214 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the evening session, Yuri did the double, Owens finished second in both...
 
Sorry, I meant "don't be afraid to saw on the wheel".

Marcus, sorry to hear that man but I totally understand. I don't know that it's something on your end, the problems are very widespread. Everything seemed to be fine on my end tonight but we did only have 6 on the track. I did have one "off" that felt like it was due to something being wrong, but maybe not. Hope to see you on track sooner than later. 👍

Here are the results from Tuesday's late races:

Qualifying:

imagelsmw.jpg


Tuesday Race 1 Results:

imagepjx.jpg



Tuesday Race 2 Results:

imagexvc.jpg
 
LancerEvo7
I don't think that's what I mean, I'm talking about when I'm sideways and the wheel turns the way I'm countersteering. If I let go, it goes full-lock countersteer and deposits the front end into the wall.

I think I know of two options.

The G27 doesn't have the speed to counter correct a whipped out rearend. To you have to steer into this yourself instantly to get a jump on the wheels motion. DON'T GO TO THE BRAKES!

The second is you not trying to keep the wheels pointed the way you want to go. Catch tue wheel before lock. Smooth gas. DON'T GO TO THE BRAKES.

it will drive like a car. Just not like a Sportscar when sideways. ;)


T500 has the speed and it's really great to sliding. I realize grip for spilt. Grab wheel. Steer back out and off. Never touching brakes. LoL

Good Luck man. Try some drifting our it will help you.
 
^ Sometimes I think English isn't your first language. :lol:
 
So this afternoon in qualifying, I was losing 5 tenths to MR_T3Z in the last sector. My best lap was 1'18.3, but I was .230 up on pole after the first three sectors. I didn't make any mistake, so I'm just using the wrong lines/technique in either (or both) the chicane or the last corner. I'll need to figure that out before my primary. That, and how to translate my practice pace into the race.

Apologies to Lucky about the first corner bumps in race 2. I'm always causing trouble somehow. :ouch:
 
Marcus Garvey
It is to my greatest regret that I must withdraw from the series. You guys are a great lot and I really enjoy the car, but for me to commit the time for naught is just something I cannot come to terms with. I will be suspending my online racing until the issues are addressed. While it is certainly frustrating, I don't see another alternative while these online problems are ongoing.

Sorry to hear, always sad to lose a fast and clean racer. The system is definitely not functioning properly. I'm holding out some hope that PD will fix this soon.

I had a lot of fun running weekly time trials and improving my skills offline with WRS and will just return to those roots. Might be something for you to consider to tap your competitive side and stay sharp until PD fixes this...

It's not your fault and this is a systematic issue. Entire series are being postponed or cancelled. 👎

It doesn't appear there were many racers tues. the lag was still and issue with that few drivers or did more people quit/DC after the start? Lots of drivers to get into two slots Fri/Sat. :scared:
 
I was a full second faster in my own lounge for about 20 minutes prior to entering the ORCA Lounge tonight, with tire wear on, real grip reduction etc. In the first race I think I ran a high 2:17 and a couple of low 2:18s once the tires warmed up, then around lap 6 or 7 it instantly dropped to high 2:18's and stayed there. In the second race the best I could do was high 2:18's as well, a full second off my "own lounge" pace. I lost my tire sound as well, as did at least one other person.

I can understand Marcus's frustration, but I hope this doesn't drive too many of us away from the series and online racing in general. I was disappointed at the turnout tonight after last night's great practice session, and again, only hope it isn't because of these connection/lag issues.:nervous:
 
Apologies for the delay, but here are the results from Tuesday's GMT race:

Qualifying
IMAG0264.jpg


Race 1
IMAG0266.jpg


Race 2
IMAG0269.jpg


Turnout was low but nice to see four different flags on there.

I'll endeavour to get the results updated sometime this morning.
 
Last edited:
Wow, what is going on with turnout. Last Capp season Tuesdays were always quite full.
 
Wow, what is going on with turnout. Last Capp season Tuesdays were always quite full.

I think the overall 'weirdness' that goes on during online races is putting people off. Even with 7 in the room, some drivers in the late race last night still had issues.

Let's just hope the situation does improve. 2.03 looks like it is on the way so there will be more maintence scheduled (can't find any though!).
 
Wow, what is going on with turnout. Last Capp season Tuesdays were always quite full.


I was kind of afraid all our talk about overcrowded rooms and asking for volunteers to sit one out might lead to people staying away because they thought there wouldn't be room. Hopefully that's not the case.

I agree with RDA, the weirdness going on with online right now is having a bit of an impact on everyone, especially with all the hype surrounding it. I don't think it's quite as bad as some people are making it out to be and shouldn't prevent us from racing in some form, but there is something definitely going on and it isn't good. I'm hoping the upcoming maintenance/patch will address the issue but since it seems like this "bug" has progressively gotten worse with each update I'm not holding my breath. We'll just have to wait patiently and see what happens.


On a different note, as I mentioned in the lounge last night I pulled my 50" tv next to my 32" "windshield" so I could play around with the multi-monitor setup and it worked surprisingly well. Obviously there was a size difference but I tinkered around with the settings and got it to where I really didn't even notice. It was very cool!

The whole thing is surprisingly easy to setup and get going. You pretty much just turn on "multi-monitor" setting, tell it how many monitors and which one is which, press "initiate client mode" on the side PS3's, and that's it! There are settings you can adjust to get the perspecitve, angle and size correct and those take some tinkering but even that is pretty easy. I was able to adjust the side tv while I was in the lounge, I could exit out of client mode and make some adjustments and when I'd re-initiate client mode it would go right back to it. I didn't have to leave the lounge or anything which was incredibly convenient. This is why I only did 2 full laps during practice, I was tinkering. lol

I can't wait for the 3 monitors to arrive, even this "half experience" was incredible. To have stuff whizzing by in my peripheral vision adds a sense of speed/danger I've never felt in a racing game. The added visual input, being able to see all kinds of scenery and cars off in the distance, really made me feel like I was at the track and not in my living room. The best part was being able to see when cars were beside me (at least on my right-hand side), I went 2-wide through turns with people and always knew exactly where they were which made it so much easier to avoid contact. Being able to see more of where your going was a real benefit too, I felt much more confident in the positioning of my car because I had so much more reference. It's hard to explain, but it allowed me to drive a little better.

Anyway, here's a quick pic and vid of the setup I was using last night. These were taken before I got it dialed in, but you get the idea. :)

imagekcs.jpg


 
^ I want one!
Can't wait to see how it looks when you have the three screens hooked up.

Hmmm. I've been pondering buying a tablet but am now wondering if it's worth risking divorce for something like this.:crazy:
 
Hmmm. I've been pondering buying a tablet but am now wondering if it's worth risking divorce for something like this.:crazy:


First impressions say............IT'S WORTH THE RISK!! lol Seriously, even this little fake setup was amazing when I got it adjusted properly. I was just messing with it but liked it so much I kept it on during the races and was glad I did. This little experiment also told me that you should be able to mix and match different sized monitors.

Obviously there's a huge difference between 50" and 32" but when I was driving I was surprised how little I noticed it. I mean, there was a difference in scale for sure but it wasn't at all distracting or anything. I wouldn't recommend that huge of a difference in size, but I'd guess if the monitors are within a couple inches of each other it would work out pretty well. A 24" center and 22" side monitors would be just fine, I think, or even vice versa. It was kinda nice having the extra large screen totally encompassing my peripheral vision.
 
I wasn't free until about 8:15 last night, so I couldn't make it. Hoping to make it on Friday. I knew people would drop, but a more than 50% drop is amazing. I considered dropping out myself as I'm aways too slow, so I get frustrated, but how the hell else am I going to learn? Watching the quick guys is a perfect teaching tool. Especially cutting the final chicane :)
 
I wasn't free until about 8:15 last night, so I couldn't make it. Hoping to make it on Friday. I knew people would drop, but a more than 50% drop is amazing. I considered dropping out myself as I'm aways too slow, so I get frustrated, but how the hell else am I going to learn? Watching the quick guys is a perfect teaching tool. Especially cutting the final chicane :)

That's exactly what I think half the time too and then once you're on the track, even if you end up on your own in the race, you can still learn a bit from the glimpses you get of the faster guys. Plus you get to save the replay which you can watch, learn and then try out different lines, approach speeds, braking points, all sorts of stuff. Just don't throw the towel in! :)

And just occasionally you get to within half a second of the big boys (even if it is in practise) and that gives you something to be proud of and build on. My best was being 0.2 seconds slower than BrosifDuder™ during practise at Indy Road in the cappy series. I've never come close to that time again, but I know it's in there somewhere.
 
Last edited:
TrackBound7
Wow, what is going on with turnout. Last Capp season Tuesdays were always quite full.

I would have raced yesterday but GT5 is one of the services NOT offered by this hotel chain. Not a bad idea though :sly: I'm racing Friday assuming I get back from chicago thurs night as planned.

Brandon your review of triple screen sounds good. 👍
 
Just looked at the v2.03 link above and I am so excited. We are getting another DLC car package and it includes a 66' Beetle, a Nissan Leaf and another Mini Cooper...yay!! :crazy: Who dreams up these things? :indiff:

On the plus side a new Lamorghini Aventador, a V12 Aston Martin and Jag LM race car from the 80's. Looks like the test track from the new NSX video is also included and the screen capture indicates it'll be measuring sprint times over 400 and 1000 metres, 0-100 and 0-200 km/h times, G-Forces, and top speed. If you haven't seen it, it's a huge oval, many km's long with huge banked turns, set around a harbour of some sort. There is a discussion of it somewhere with screen shots...looks pretty cool but won't be much good except for max speed cruising and test driving.
 
Which circuit at La Sarthe next week?
 
I wasn't free until about 8:15 last night, so I couldn't make it. Hoping to make it on Friday. I knew people would drop, but a more than 50% drop is amazing. I considered dropping out myself as I'm aways too slow, so I get frustrated, but how the hell else am I going to learn? Watching the quick guys is a perfect teaching tool. Especially cutting the final chicane :)

It always helps to know what a legal lap is on every track. On GP/F, similar to Monza and some other tracks, a lot of time can be saved in that chicane when you consider that so long as two wheels are over the red/white curbing it's a legal lap. Making it your two outside wheels as opposed to inside wheels makes a big difference in carrying speed through the corner. If the curbing on the inside of turn 4 didn't make the car undstable I'd leap over that as well but it's too risky. Of course if you are driving the curbs that way you better be sure you are heading in the right direction as you jump over them and that you aren't turning when you land as it can make the car unstable. Little practice and you get the hang of it.

Last season at Monaco I didn't realize until the races were done that you could get all 4 wheels up on the chicane and it was a good lap as well. I couldn't figure out why I was even or slightly up going into the last sector and then down a full second or more at the flag and that was the reason why.
 
Last edited:
I wasn't free until about 8:15 last night, so I couldn't make it. Hoping to make it on Friday. I knew people would drop, but a more than 50% drop is amazing. I considered dropping out myself as I'm aways too slow, so I get frustrated, but how the hell else am I going to learn? Watching the quick guys is a perfect teaching tool. Especially cutting the final chicane :)

That's exactly what I think half the time too and then once you're on the track, even if you end up on your own in the race, you can still learn a bit from the glimpses you get of the faster guys. Plus you get to save the replay which you can watch, learn and then try out different lines, approach speeds, braking points, all sorts of stuff. Just don't throw the towel in! :)

And just occasionally you get to within half a second of the big boys (even if it is in practise) and that gives you something to be proud of and build on. My best was being 0.2 seconds slower than BrosifDuder™ during practise at Indy Road in the cappy series. I've never come close to that time again, but I know it's in there somewhere.

Well, and I hope he doesn't mind me saying this, but WRP001 told me that he was quite surprised at the speed and skill of our drivers. Everyone talks about how slow and bad they are, so he was expecting as such. But after a few races he said he was surprised/impressed and that a lot of you guys are D2 quality drivers or better. He's one of the people in charge of the WRS so he knows what he's talking about. 👍

I think the few really fast guys skew the results a little bit and make a lot of us feel "inferior". But I personally have seen a great improvement in both myself and a lot of other people, in part due to running with and watching the fast guys. So don't be so hard on yourselves and always be proud that you are one of the cleanest and most respectful bunch of racers on GTP, and to me that's much more important than being the fastest. In fact, even though I was at the back of the pack in both races last night I had some incredibly thrilling battles with NCemtB and Torzilla so I still had a great time.

I am always at least 1-2 seconds off the pace of the fast guys too, and I've just accepted that they know something about GT5/driving that I don't so I don't beat myself up about it and just try to have fun wherever I am in the pack. Maybe one day I'll figure it out, maybe I won't, but I know I'll always have a good time. 👍
 
Just looked at the v2.03 link above and I am so excited. We are getting another DLC car package and it includes a 66' Beetle, a Nissan Leaf and another Mini Cooper...yay!! :crazy: Who dreams up these things? :indiff:

On the plus side a new Lamorghini Aventador, a V12 Aston Martin and Jag LM race car from the 80's. Looks like the test track from the new NSX video is also included and the screen capture indicates it'll be measuring sprint times over 400 and 1000 metres, 0-100 and 0-200 km/h times, G-Forces, and top speed. If you haven't seen it, it's a huge oval, many km's long with huge banked turns, set around a harbour of some sort. There is a discussion of it somewhere with screen shots...looks pretty cool but won't be much good except for max speed cruising and test driving.

Knowing myself, I'll get more fun out of the Beetle and Leaf than the others combined.

. . .
I am always at least 1-2 seconds off the pace of the fast guys too, and I've just accepted that they know something about GT5/driving that I don't so I don't beat myself up about it and just try to have fun wherever I am in the pack. Maybe one day I'll figure it out, maybe I won't, but I know I'll always have a good time. 👍
+1
 
Knowing myself, I'll get more fun out of the Beetle and Leaf than the others combined.


+1

What would really kick it over the edge would be enabling the Beetle to be modded up to 150+ hp and an RM version would be the icing on the cake. Perhaps the next series could be the Vintage Beetle Cup!!!
 
What would really kick it over the edge would be enabling the Beetle to be modded up to 150+ hp and an RM version would be the icing on the cake. Perhaps the next series could be the Vintage Beetle Cup!!!

I hope we can put dirt and snow tires on it. :) Yee haw!
 
Which circuit at La Sarthe next week?


2009, with chicanes. We will also be doing a time change, the race will start in the light, get dark for a few laps and then finish in the light again. So practice racing at night! :sly:
 
It always helps to know what a legal lap is on every track. On GP/F, similar to Monza and some other tracks, a lot of time can be saved in that chicane when you consider that so long as two wheels are over the red/white curbing it's a legal lap...

What you're describing sounds like what is considered bad curb cutting based on a "Capp Cup Driving School" video, or am I misunderstanding you? Or have the rules changed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcLH50I25tQ
 
What you're describing sounds like what is considered bad curb cutting based on a "Capp Cup Driving School" video, or am I misunderstanding you? Or have the rules changed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcLH50I25tQ


Yes, it's changed. I was made aware that my rule was different from the vast majority of racing series and some people complained about having to adjust their driving for just this series and there was always confusion. So I just changed my rules to match the majority. As long as two pieces of rubber are on the gray part of the track or the red/white (or whatever color) rumble strips, you're legal. So two tires in the grass and two on the red/white is fine, even though I'm not real fond of it. In the absence of a curb, the white line will be used, so two tires in the grass and two on the proper side of the white line is also legal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back