Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,210 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnnypenso
I should be around tonight for Monza practice. I'll look for you guys around 8.

In for some Monza practice.
 
Isn't Monza the same as every other track? At least two wheels on either the paved tarmac, the white paint at the edge of the tarmac (on some tracks) or on the red and white curbing. If none of your four wheels are touching one of those three things it's not a legal corner. I should be around tonight for Monza practice. I'll look for you guys around 8.

I always thought so 👍
 
It occasionally clashes with 'If we can't/won't enforce it - allow it'.

Deep Forest, Monza, the only tracks that I ever had problems with track rules.
Some hosts say "No green", others say "2 OK on Green" Many say "If GT5 doesn't give you a penalty OK" .
I blame the rooms I used to race in, they went mostly with the latter.... taught me theses bad habits.
 
Johnnypenso
Isn't Monza the same as every other track? At least two wheels on either the paved tarmac, the white paint at the edge of the tarmac (on some tracks) or on the red and white curbing. If none of your four wheels are touching one of those three things it's not a legal corner. I should be around tonight for Monza practice. I'll look for you guys around 8.

This is what I prefer. Try to keep at least 2 wheels inside the white line or on the red/white curbs. In the Capp's we considered the green-crete legal but it will not be legal for the Alfa's. 2 wheels on the green-crete and 2 on the curb is legal though. As long as you're consistently close to those guidelines you'll be fine.

I'll try to watch everyone's lines during practices and if I
see anything I consider a little much I'll let you know before the race starts. 👍

Oh, and I might try to join for a little Monza practice later tonight. Feel free to use the Champ lounge as you please, but please clean up your Cannoli wrappers when you leave.
 
Fresh on the heels of our stunning and unexpected victory in the WRS vs. ORCA epic showdown:rolleyes:, I coerced Trackbound to join me in representing Team ORCA over at the [post=6569809]Vintage Car Race Club Lotus Elan S1 62' Championship[/post] run by Watermelonpunch of the VCRC. I've run with them once before and it was close, competitive clean racing. Brandon, Owens, RDAardvark are all members there already and familiar with the VCRC. It's a one day type of setup, with a different car each week, 3 races in one day, 5-10 laps, Q the first round and reverse grid the last two. Older, untuned cars on comfort soft tires is the format so far and they are a lot of fun to drive.

Despite variable grip today and Trackbound struggling with grip in 2/3 races, Team ORCA managed to scoop 2 - 1st's, 1 - 2nd and 1 - 3rd place to take the overall title.

I highly recommend this series to anyone looking for some good close racing in some classic cars, without the bother of having to tune. Follow the link above if you're interested and you'll find links to the VCRC and the race next Sunday, VCRC - Tournament #2 - Nissan 240ZG (HS30)(found in the OCD currently) '71 Championship - 5 Feb, Sun Noon EST / 5pm GMT
 
I'm hoping in the Champ lounge for some Monza practice, if anybody wants to join feel free.

*closed*
 
Last edited:
BrandonW77
I'm hoping in the Champ lounge for some Monza practice, if anybody wants to join feel free.

Im there!
 
Fresh on the heels of our stunning and unexpected victory in the WRS vs. ORCA epic showdown:rolleyes:, I coerced Trackbound to join me in representing Team ORCA over at the [post=6569809]Vintage Car Race Club Lotus Elan S1 62' Championship[/post] run by Watermelonpunch of the VCRC. I've run with them once before and it was close, competitive clean racing. Brandon, Owens, RDAardvark are all members there already and familiar with the VCRC. It's a one day type of setup, with a different car each week, 3 races in one day, 5-10 laps, Q the first round and reverse grid the last two. Older, untuned cars on comfort soft tires is the format so far and they are a lot of fun to drive.

Despite variable grip today and Trackbound struggling with grip in 2/3 races, Team ORCA managed to scoop 2 - 1st's, 1 - 2nd and 1 - 3rd place to take the overall title.

I highly recommend this series to anyone looking for some good close racing in some classic cars, without the bother of having to tune. Follow the link above if you're interested and you'll find links to the VCRC and the race next Sunday, VCRC - Tournament #2 - Nissan 240ZG (HS30)(found in the OCD currently) '71 Championship - 5 Feb, Sun Noon EST / 5pm GMT

This was definitely a great little series and highly recommend it. I was expecting a much better run at Rome after running with Johnny just prior to the race, but ended up having issues in the race. If I ran like I did prior, I am pretty sure we could have cleaned up the podium in all 3 races.

I have mentioned before to Brandon, but I have been toying with ideas for our Spec and Spot lounges. One of them is a name from Top Gear, Crocks and Classics. My thoughts were actually very similar to what Watermelon Punch is running. Might be a nice Saturday evening style of racing.

Thanks for some practice tonight guys. Much needed! Looking forward to some more throughout the week.
 
Sees like Yuri has this track figured out.
I stayed it the room for a bit and got a 08.44 for a best lap in free run on lap 4 without cutting the track. I think a 8.1 was on the board, not sure if that was a drafted lap.
 
And how many miles have you put on you Alfa?
I'm at a bit over a 1000
1805.4 miles. 186 miles from b-specing the GV300 to break the car in prior to the series, but that's still 1600+ plus from this series. :scared:
 
Sees like Yuri has this track figured out.
I stayed it the room for a bit and got a 08.44 for a best lap in free run on lap 4 without cutting the track. I think a 8.1 was on the board, not sure if that was a drafted lap.

In the Ton's of Fun Shootout I was a test driver as well as a tuner and one of the tracks was Monza with no chicanes. I drove at least 250 laps test driving there:crazy: in cars that were 1650-2000kgs with 600-1250 hp on SS tires:nervous:. For a period of about 3 weeks all I did with GT5 was run Monza and London. If that doesn't teach you car control handling these overpowered behemoths on SS tires on this track, nothing will:)
 
By the way guys, we never properly celebrated our victory.

So without futher ado......

24cobyblastap1223354063.jpg


fagetty595.jpg


immersive.jpg


s091215012danica.jpg


sebastianvettelspraysch.jpg


s11w.jpg



:cheers:
 
^ Is Webber crying because Vettel won another one?? :lol:
 
BrandonW77
^ Is Webber crying because Vettel won another one?? :lol:

No that's me being salty over Yuri getting past me in Race 2. Capturing the 4th spot from me. Pushing me one point behind in the standing. LoL
 
BrandonW77
By the way guys, we never properly celebrated our victory.

So without futher ado......

:cheers:

Your first pic is my favorite... Not related in any way to racing, but I was celebrating with them. :sly:
 
^Red Sox fan? Hm...
 
^ I'm not even sure what it's from. Baseball I presume, they usually wear the champagne goggles.
 
Anyone planning practice sessions tonight? I need to find my way into 2'08s.
 
I should be on at some time this evening (GMT).

I need to find my way into the 2'10s!
 
^Red Sox fan? Hm...

101% :sly: Grew up 90 minutes north of Fenway. My father who is about to turn 88 watches 162 red sox games a year and I end up discussing almost all of them with him even though I never see them here on the west coast. :lol:

I'm coaching my son's baseball team this year... guess what team... the Red Sox of course. 👍 Can't let them become Giants fans.

^ I'm not even sure what it's from. Baseball I presume, they usually wear the champagne goggles.

I recognized Jacoby Ellsbury of the Red Sox immediately from the pic. You'll find the original version here.
 
Last edited:
I should be on at some time this evening (GMT).

I need to find my way into the 2'10s!
I might be home early (like 10pm gmt-ish), so I'll look if there's anyone in the lounge.

101% :sly: Grew up 90 minutes north of Fenway.
Ah, ok. I just thought that the distance from the place you grew up to your college would be similar to the jumps you made going to IL and then to CA. ;)
 
I might be home early (like 10pm gmt-ish), so I'll look if there's anyone in the lounge.


Ah, ok. I just thought that the distance from the place you grew up to your college would be similar to the jumps you made going to IL and then to CA. ;)

Yes, my life has been a steady migration to the west. Funny you noticed. This spot below is a big reason I moved as it's now only 15 minutes from my house:

P6200237_small.jpg

Truth is I was very close to moving from California to to Maui 10+ years ago to complete the migration (and dedicate myself to windsurfing/wave sailing) when I met my wife and she brought me back to reality: job, kids, bills, responsibility...
 
I should be on at some time this evening (GMT).

I need to find my way into the 2'10s!


I should be around for Monza practice tonight, maybe after 7pm EST. I need to find my way into the draft. :dopey:
 
I am hoping to finally make it tonight, but my luck with this Alfa series has been shockingly bad, so I expect some disaster to show up. Monza suits me, a lot of places for the quick guys to over drive a corner and get stuck in sand, so if I run clean I'll pick up a few spots while running 2:11s :D
 
I should be around at some point tonight for some much needed practice as well. Feeling better today and can see straight, so I won't have any excuses for running off the track or bumping into anyone. I got into Owens pretty good last night...was trying to watch his braking point into one of the chicanes, watched his brake lights, looked over to find a land mark and forgot all about braking myself. Sorry!
 
I should be around at some point tonight for some much needed practice as well. Feeling better today and can see straight, so I won't have any excuses for running off the track or bumping into anyone. I got into Owens pretty good last night...was trying to watch his braking point into one of the chicanes, watched his brake lights, looked over to find a land mark and forgot all about braking myself. Sorry!

I find at this track more than any other that brake points vary by driver. I tend to brake very early and concentrate on slow in / fast out, but not everyone does it that way and in a pack it's not always a great technique... if you get swallowed on both sides going into a corner braking early it doesn't do much good to be setup for a good exit when you have to lift anyway.

Should be interesting, but I think pack racing practice is useful here. Hope to join you tonight.
 
Forgot to say that I have a lounge open for Monza practice.

** CLOSED **

Thanks to dsg and cc570 for keeping me company and 👍 and :bowdown: to dsg for the tips and guidance.
 
Last edited:
I find at this track more than any other that brake points vary by driver. I tend to brake very early and concentrate on slow in / fast out, but not everyone does it that way and in a pack it's not always a great technique... if you get swallowed on both sides going into a corner braking early it doesn't do much good to be setup for a good exit when you have to lift anyway.

Should be interesting, but I think pack racing practice is useful here. Hope to join you tonight.

👍 to this
I find the same works for me.

But as you said, pack racing changes the formula and eventually driving style has to change to adapt. Perseverance is the key, may not win, but it could make for nail biting duels.

Enjoy the practice fellas, might be able to join after 8pm GMT+10 on Friday night.

Good luck to all in the races tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back