Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,207 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congradulations on the win guys
 
Congrats, ORCA! All great/clean driving from my point of view. 👍

I don't remember race 1 very well, at the moment, but wanted to give 👍's to bdub and carracer for that long slow hunt you executed on me in race 2! Sag would have had me too if not for his tires.

Thanks Tim, you're a madman, and thanks Brandon for stepping up to the challenge. :cheers:

Hope to make at least a couple more season races with you all.
 
I've never been so happy with, nor fought so hard for, a pair of fourth place finishes!! :sly:

Wow that was great fun. So many thanks to Brandon and WRP for suggesting, organizing and staging this event, it was spectacular:tup:. In room A the racing was so close. We had 5-9 car packs fighting it out for position throughout the race. Late in the race I could see Carracer in front of me surrounded by GTP guys fighting for 3rd in the waning laps, and I tried and tried to hook up with him but the draft effect was so small I just couldn't get through enough guys. On the final lap in the hairpin, Carracer came out in front, I passed a couple of GTP guys that swung wide and Car and I went nose to tail to the flag for third and fourth.

In the second race, I spent the middle 10 laps in 6th place, a couple of seconds back from 4th, ahead of the entire field eventually all bunched up tight behind me. Eventually I broke free to catch Owens who was battling with someone, and eventually we drafted out a small gap and came home 4/5 respectively.

All in all it was a great afternoon, the racing was very close and intense but about as clean as you can possibly get. If you get a chance to enter an event like this in the future I highly recommend it!!! It is intense!!

Thanks again Brandon and WRP. Organized, on time, well run as usual 👍👍
 
Late in the race I could see Carracer in front of me surrounded by GTP guys fighting for 3rd in the waning laps, and I tried and tried to hook up with him but the draft effect was so small I just couldn't get through enough guys. On the final lap in the hairpin, Carracer came out in front, I passed a couple of GTP guys that swung wide and Car and I went nose to tail to the flag for third and fourth.

Big thanks for pushing me 👍 I was worried you would feed me to the WRS drivers.
WD 👍 for driving back up to 4th.
 
Big thanks for pushing me 👍 I was worried you would feed me to the WRS drivers.
WD 👍 for driving back up to 4th.

Thanks Car, it was a great team effort. I was thinking team all the way. I tried hard to get right on your tail in the closing laps and give you a push but there were too many guys in the way to pass them all at once, until the hairpin on the final lap...lol I saw everyone going wide in the closing laps there and figured with the adrenaline pumping and everyone battling they would all swing wide, so I braked a bit early, hugged the inside and got lucky and swung by a couple, picked up your draft on exit and held on. Was great fun!!!
 
Today was intense. Had to attend to some family obligations right after races, so I'm a bit late, but big thanks to Brandon, Tim, Marc and Kevin (hope i didn't forget anyone) for putting this event together. Gonna have to watch some replays and shoot some PMs, but that's later :-)

See you guys @Monza.
 
Last edited:
So........ What times are you guys getting a Monza?

And how many miles have you put on you Alfa?
I'm at a bit over a 1000
 
Absolutely fantastic result guys and from the reports, some great racing too.
I managed to get speedy's broadcast up a couple of times and what I saw was some very close and hard fought racing.
Really gutted that I missed it, but perhaps we can arrange something like this again in the future.

👍 :cheers: and :bowdown: to all!
 
Blame me, sorry. My lap 2 turn 1 was :yuck:
Really sorry.
You did ram me on lap 2 turn 1, but it was Sphinx who spun me out. You didn't have to wait, but I'm glad you did. From lap 2 to lap 9, we were running as fast the alien leaders. 👍

As for Monza, I haven't done any laps yet, but I wouldn't be a good benchmark. On some tracks I'm 'slow' because I hardly ever drive/race there (Daytona, Fuji), but at Monza I have no idea why I'm slow. I'm usually 1-2 seconds slower than guys I'm usually close to on other tracks with no explanation. It seems like a simple track, but it's not. I'm going to be hoping to use the draft of faster drivers this week, without shame.
 
... and what I saw was some very close and hard fought racing.
...

Yes, indeed it was.

I've seen some great, clean and hard racing yesterday. Congrats on the results guys! 👍
A race to remember and to tell your grandchildren when the time comes. :D

The Livestream is 'saved forever', so it's possible for you guys to review and/or share it. ;)
 
You did ram me on lap 2 turn 1, but it was Sphinx who spun me out. You didn't have to wait, but I'm glad you did. From lap 2 to lap 9, we were running as fast the alien leaders. 👍
Faster actually, we dropped about 2 seconds from them in that time. I didn't think a 2 car pack would work that well but it did.

Yes, indeed it was.

I've seen some great, clean and hard racing yesterday. Congrats on the results guys! 👍
A race to remember and to tell your grandchildren when the time comes. :D

The Livestream is 'saved forever', so it's possible for you guys to review and/or share it. ;)


I watched the stream, we made it look easy 👍
 
That series was a TON of fun! Congratz Team ORCA :cheers:

I was pissed I missed the practices, and was almost a late cancellation. I took an injury to both hands playnig hockey on Thurs, and couldn't even drive until Sat. My left hand couldn't squeeze / shift properly so I had programmed several button to be the downshift, and wound up using the DFGT shift knob (it's been neglected basically since I bought it) for most of race 1 along with L2.

Carracer - that was some great team racing in race 1 for about 10 laps or so 👍
It's too bad the three of us (EDK was the third) couldn't duke it out until the end. After I saw you two coming out of the hairpin a bit sideways I made a run for it and never looked back.
Dan was a big push in the early laps too. Thanks 👍, my early laps were kind of weak.

Race 2 found me locked in a GTP_Sandwich with Sphinx and CSL, and I really don't remember seeing anyone else.
Crappy that I lost it a bit on lap 18 and wound up in third through turn 1 on lap 20. From there they needed to make a mistake for me to advance a position, and it just didn't happen.

Dam that was fun :D
Thanks to Brandon, and Tim (WRP) for organizing this event, and to the guys who helped out streaming, and throwing in extra organizational effort(s) 👍

It did feel a bit weird racing against GTP_ when my tag clearly reads GTP_Hydro, and I even bump drafted CSL once in the final before I said (out loud :lol:) 'wait a minute, we're on different teams' :sly:
Well done guys. GTP_ drivers are tough competition, and most of the drivers had put in several hours in the offline TT (several could easily mean A TON!), then raced a 35 lap race on Wed.

:gtpflag:
 
Thanks for the competition ORCA and congrats on your well deserved victory.
I had many battles during the races and they were all cleanly fought and very intense, shame I couldn't quite pip OwensRacing and Johnnypenso at the line as the little gap on Lap 18 was 0.2 4th-6th at the finish line. Great racing all around and already I'm looking forward to a round 2 against you all.
 
Anyone planning on being on tonight for some Monza practice?
 
I'm :scared: of the Monza race. This car is so :boggled: in the chicanes and then all the long straights following. It's going to be another pack/draft battle I can see with some interesting tangles heading into the brake zones. The reverse grid round is going to be the real tap dance or maybe stomp is a better dancing metaphor!
 
So........ What times are you guys getting a Monza?

And how many miles have you put on you Alfa?
I'm at a bit over a 1000

My green alfa is at 1100+ miles. Due an engine/chassis rebuild?

Marcus and I were in the lounge briefly earlier on. My best was a 2:10.7xx with Marcus over 2 seconds quicker than me. I did manage to get to within 0.02 of a second of his first sector time which I count as a small victory!
 
Anyone planning on being on tonight for some Monza practice?

I will, very late though....

I'm :scared: of the Monza race. This car is so :boggled: in the chicanes and then all the long straights following. It's going to be another pack/draft battle I can see with some interesting tangles heading into the brake zones. The reverse grid round is going to be the real tap dance or maybe stomp is a better dancing metaphor!

Just wait till Monaco....

My green alfa is at 1100+ miles. Due an engine/chassis rebuild?

Marcus and I were in the lounge briefly earlier on. My best was a 2:10.7xx with Marcus over 2 seconds quicker than me. I did manage to get to within 0.02 of a second of his first sector time which I count as a small victory!

I was a 2:09 something (.3 - .5), I was dropping a second every lap. 2:08 sound like a good time.
 
With all the drafting practice we just had, Monza shouldn't be any worse than LaSarthe. And then Spa, another draft-fest, should be just a breeze.
 
Hoping sometime after 8pm EST.
 
And an obligatory Monza question: green pavement is off limits (2 wheels okay), unless to avoid an accident in race (surrendering any spots gained), correct?
 
And an obligatory Monza question: green pavement is off limits (2 wheels okay), unless to avoid an accident in race (surrendering any spots gained), correct?

I would assume that too: It still feels wrong to have no wheels on the tarmac, but if I understand the rules correctly, as long as at least two wheels are on the rumble strips/kerbing then that is valid.

Or have I got this wrong?
 
With all the drafting practice we just had, Monza shouldn't be any worse than LaSarthe. And then Spa, another draft-fest, should be just a breeze.

True, but the chicanes at La Sarthe are higher speed, these at Monza are much more technical.

Spa has a technical section in the middle to break it up. Plus we don't run reverse grid there and we have a mandatory pit.

Of all the remaining 5 races (2 doubles and enduro) I think the reverse grid races at Monza and Monaco should provide the most fireworks for poor Brandon's in box.

If you want to see how to push the clean boundaries to the absolute limit please reference this post by our very own Gravitron.

The OP in the following WRS thread has some pictures of dirty passes through the course and make it pretty clear what's out of bounds.
 
Last edited:
True, but the chicanes at La Sarthe are higher speed, these at Monza are much more technical.

Spa has a technical section in the middle to break it up. Plus we don't run reverse grid there and we have a mandatory pit.

Of all the remaining 5 races (2 doubles and enduro) I think the reverse grid races at Monza and Monaco should provide the most fireworks for poor Brandon's in box.

If you want to see how to push the clean boundaries to the absolute limit please reference this post by our very own Gravitron.

The OP in the following WRS thread has some pictures of dirty passes through the course and make it pretty clear what's out of bounds.

"Tarmac outside the white boundary line after the rumbles end in the left hand exit of Ascari"
That mean all my laps here are dirty :lol:
I always use that, thanks for the links, you just saved me a DQ.
 
"Tarmac outside the white boundary line after the rumbles end in the left hand exit of Ascari"
That mean all my laps here are dirty :lol:
I always use that, thanks for the links, you just saved me a DQ.

Those are WRS rules obviously so Brandon will have to confirm.

In WRS you are allowed to drift out until the two inside wheels all the way over rumble and two outside wheels outside the rumbles, but you must have inside two wheels back over white line before the rumbles end. Quite a few good hot laps end in "red flags" right there.
 
If you want to see how to push the clean boundaries to the absolute limit please reference this post by our very own Gravitron.

The OP in the following WRS thread has some pictures of dirty passes through the course and make it pretty clear what's out of bounds.
👍

To reiterate - judging from Gravitron's pics only red/white portion of the rumble is track. Inner grey part of the same rumble is dirty.
 
Those are WRS rules obviously so Brandon will have to confirm.

In WRS you are allowed to drift out until the two inside wheels all the way over rumble and two outside wheels outside the rumbles, but you must have inside two wheels back over white line before the rumbles end. Quite a few good hot laps end in "red flags" right there.

For some odd reason I run wide often, it's not like its faster, just more fun.
 
Isn't Monza the same as every other track? At least two wheels on either the paved tarmac, the white paint at the edge of the tarmac (on some tracks) or on the red and white curbing. If none of your four wheels are touching one of those three things it's not a legal corner. I should be around tonight for Monza practice. I'll look for you guys around 8.
 
If you want to see how to push the clean boundaries to the absolute limit please reference this post by our very own Gravitron.

The OP in the following WRS thread has some pictures of dirty passes through the course and make it pretty clear what's out of bounds.

I'll just be happy to finish a race without a spin.

But seriously, this track seems to respond nicely to smooth corner entries for me. Need to get a few more laps in before the final race this week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back