Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,218 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we tried 13 and I had loss of grip and surging cars. I bailed on the second race after being pinballed for 2 laps so you guys could get down to 12 (wasn't a rage quit). Glad I did because I got to watch an awesome second race. The top 9 were within 8-10 seconds each other for over half the race, very exciting! It's not like I was going to improve on my 2 podiums on Tuesday anyway! :lol:


Qualifying:

imagesmh.jpg



Friday Race 1 Results:

imageqzs.jpg



Tuesday Race 2 Results:

imagecjh.jpg

Great racing last night, I love how we have 5 guys in the 8s, all very close, then WiiFreak drops a bomb with a 7.880, great lap.
 
Good Q time and first race WiiFreak, looks like a real battle. All I see is a red "X" for the second race results. Anyone else have the same problem?.

Another full to capacity Friday Night room. I was lurking trying to get in at 10 but couldn't get in even to watch:grumpy:

Great result Trackbound 👍
 
Johnnypenso
Good Q time WiiFreak and first race WiiFreak, looks like a real battle. All I see is a red "X" for the second race results. Anyone else have the same problem?.

Another full to capacity Friday Night room. I was lurking trying to get in at 10 but couldn't get in even to watch:grumpy:

Great result Trackbound 👍

Broken image link I think for race 2. Race 1 wii and I broke away after car and dsg made mistakes and we ran consistent low 2'08 laps together. I felt we were faster with me pulling and wii pushing so I took point.

I led with wii on my tail until entry to parabolica on lap 12. I was a sitting duck in the lead, but didn't want to do anything shifty so just decided I would go as hard as possible thru parabolica and go as wides as possible hoping it was hard to follow.

I went too wide and caught a touch if grass, just enough to force me to lift and I was history. Good race wii. I noticed on replay that I was killing my front left whereas wii could lay back on corner entry and his front left was in better shape. Last couple laps I had no chance to get any gap any gaps on corner exit as I did earlier in race.

2nd race starting 12 and 13 wii and I tried to work together again, but it was hard sledding getting thru field. Owens and dsg were about same speed as us so it was follow the leader and try to keep with them thru field. Meh.... Reverse grid is not my cup of tea. It ends up with faster guys often roughing up the guys who started in front... Not punting, but passing anywhere they can get a nose in to keep up with the other guys moving up. I feel bad as I do it myself, but otherwise it's give up on a chance to compete.

I noticed torzilla left in a hurry after race two... I'm thinking he's one example of a guy that might have gotten freight trained in this manner and wasn't happy about it.
 
Second race pic is fine if you open in a separate window.
imagecjh.jpg
 
dsgerbc
Second race pic is fine if you open in a separate window.

Your pic works, but on my iPhone the one Brandon posted says "Error" when I click on it. The others all work... Strange.
 
WRP001
Your pic works, but on my iPhone the one Brandon posted says "Error" when I click on it. The others all work... Strange.

Fixed, I put the wrong link in. It was late. Lol

Torzilla always leaves right after the race so I don't think he was salty or anything.


About the reverse grid, your points are valid but I use the reverse grid so guys that are usually in the back get a chance to run up front with traffic and guys that are usually up front get a chance to practice working through the pack (and show the slower guys how it's done properly). I think it ends up being a very good learning experience for all of us and keeps things from getting boring, even if the fastest guys don't always make it to the front.
 
Last edited:
BrandonW77
Fixed, I put the wrong link in. It was late. Lol

Torzilla always leaves right after the race so I don't think he was salty or anything.

About the reverse grid, your points are valid but I use the reverse grid so guys that are usually in the back get a chance to run up front with traffic and guys that are usually up front get a chance to practice working through the pack (and show the slower guys how it's done properly). I think it ends up being a very good learning experience for all of us and keeps things from getting boring, even if the fastest guys don't always make it to the front.

I agree it's a good way to mix things up. If I had a vote I'd have 4 enduros and 2 dual races, but that's just my opinion. The other drivers probably prefer the existing format. I just have a soft spot for long races and pit strategy.

I have a chance to race today! Unusual for me on a Saturday. I'll hop in and will drop if it's full...
 
I'd prefer each race last 1hour at least. ;)
 
I wasn't able to make my primary Tuesday night race so I'm going to try to make it today. If it's full of primaries today, feel free to boot me whoever the steward is, no hard feelings here either.

Edit - I'm not sure if any of you are into drag racing but my current best in the Alfa is 13.755. That's at our race specs of 178HP-620KG on SS tires. I did mess with suspension, trans, etc though.
 
Last edited:
WRP001
I agree it's a good way to mix things up. If I had a vote I'd have 4 enduros and 2 dual races, but that's just my opinion. The other drivers probably prefer the existing format. I just have a soft spot for long races and pit strategy.

I have a chance to race today! Unusual for me on a Saturday. I'll hop in and will drop if it's full...

The shorter races have made me appreciate the longer races more, I really look forward to them now. My next project might see something enduro based. :sly:


Blind829
I wasn't able to make my primary Tuesday night race so I'm going to try to make it today. If it's full of primaries today, feel free to boot me whoever the steward is, no hard feelings here either.

I want to thank you guys for being so accommodating with the 12 driver limit situation. We've always had quick volunteers when we get a packed room, there haven't been any hard feelings when somebody needed to sit out and I don't think we've had anybody get locked out of a room. More proof that we really have a great group here. :cheers:
 
I'd prefer each race last 1hour at least. ;)

Not sure about a full hour for each of the 2 races, but I do wish they were longer.
It would nice to know if you slide off the track, you still have time to catch up.
 
Not sure about a full hour for each of the 2 races, but I do wish they were longer.
It would nice to know if you slide off the track, you still have time to catch up.

I think/hope that's what he meant! We'll see how it plays out in this car in our post season special enduro event. I've been thinking about that and would vote for using Suzuka which is a track we never got to use with this car during the season.

Another idea if you wanted to mix it up but keep long races is take a couple events during the season and start a long race reverse grid, but based on season standings to that point. It would work if the event were put in the later half of the season at least. I think reverse grid would be better in a long race when you can take your time and be more gentle/considerate about getting through the field.
 
I think Suzuka would be good. We haven't run much at Indy Road Course either, that could be fun.

And no, that's not what I meant. :sly:
 
Last edited:
I have always liked out racing format which is a big reason I keep coming back (that and all the MILFs and GILFs). There is nothing worse than an hour long race where everyone is spread out and running on their own. I know the top 3 or 4 here usually run together for much of the race, but there are a lot that only seem to stick together for 5-6 laps, then things spread out for the rest of the field.
 
If you like longer races the Vintage car race club is putting on hour long races with time and weather change and damage on heavy. Info here. We are typically picking a car or choice of cars and running them with tuning prohibited and on appropriate tires (the tires they come with.) The first race worked great we just need more participation.
 
Honestly like to see mixed class racing. However that's not possible at 12 racers.

16 racers. Member those days? My how things change.




VCR, while I'd love to get involved, the timing doesn't work.
 
CC570
If you like longer races the Vintage car race club is putting on hour long races with time and weather change and damage on heavy. Info here. We are typically picking a car or choice of cars and running them with tuning prohibited and on appropriate tires (the tires they come with.) The first race worked great we just need more participation.

Think your link is busted...
 
VCR, while I'd love to get involved, the timing doesn't work.

Sounds interesting, but same issue for me. We run a series (WRS - Online) that runs an EU time slot on Wednesday at 12 Pacific already and I'm having a hard enough time making those events these days.
 
The Champ lounge is open for pre-race practice. Qualifying will begin at 3pm EST with 12 drivers max.
 
I took Owens' advice and opened the brake spring on my dfgt pedals. Wow, what a difference. With a bit of foam in there too, my braking is getting mire consistent. With the extra resistance, I found the brake uncomfortable until I tilted the whole pedals.

Many thanks for the advice!
 
I wish I could have done the second race, but I only saw eight drivers on the track during the first one, and I felt that starting the second would mess up the race of the faster guys when they tried to get by. I wouldn't be able to see them, and cause a mess!
 
Saturday Race:

Qualifying
IMAG0337.jpg


Race 1
IMAG0341.jpg


Race 2
IMAG0344.jpg



Edit: Points and league table have been updated for Saturday's race.
 
Last edited:
What a great couple of races this afternoon!!! First a three way battle for the entire first race with Hydro and WRP then playing catch up in the second race to Sagar and ending in probably the closest three way finish in ORCA/Cappy history!!! .002 between 1st and 2nd and .058 from 1st to 3rd!!

I was a little surprised that I eeked out that win in the second race...I didn't think I had enough get up and go to get past both Hyrdo and Sagar at the flag. As you can see by the photo below it was incredibily close. What's wrong with that photo? I am the purple car!!! :grumpy: Although I was scored as 1st by .002 as you can see from the photo finish, again me being the purple car, I wasn't ahead at the line, but slightly behind. I've seen this before at Monza, some kind of glitch but obviously I was second in the second race so you're going to have to adjust the results accordingly Brandon. Great double Hydro!!! 👍 Good run in the second race Sagar 👍

autodromonazionalemonzaqg.jpg
Saturday Race 2 Photo Finish​

Only in GT5 can a win not be a win!!:yuck:
 
How's this for the ultimate Online Bug:
AutodromoNazionaleMonza_5.jpg

AutodromoNazionaleMonza_2.jpg


The brown car (mine) came second :confused:
The weird(er) thing was that when the race ended I was positive Yuri and Sag did not catch me, and I was listed as first (on my screen) when the race finished, but it switched to Yuri after aboot 4 seconds.

If he wasn't Canadian I'd protest his apparent time-travel capabilities :sly:
You're scaring me Yuri :lol:

:lol: Tree'd by Yuri. Go Canada!!!
 
Haha...we posted at the same time Hydro. No need to call foul, the victory was clearly yours and I was clearly second, there's no doubt about it 👍 Brandon will make the suitable adjustments and you get the bonus point for the double too 👍
 
^Blame Rogers, that's slowing p2p. I'd say this has to be settled in Brandon's replay ;)
 
Haha...we posted at the same time Hydro. No need to call foul, the victory was clearly yours and I was clearly second, there's no doubt about it 👍 Brandon will make the suitable adjustments and you get the bonus point for the double too 👍

No problem, I wasn't actually calling foul, or expecting any sort of change TBH.
I figured your replay would show you slightly ahead, and that it was just an error in my replay (and head).
I just sooo wanted to believe I actually crossed the line first, I figured I was wrong in the actual race, and that you indeed must have passed me at the very last centimetre.

It's certainly the first time I've seen that happen :D
 
Now that was some seriously close racing . Seems the draft equals out everything nicely, great win Hydro

Guess what I'll be watching for the next couple of hours ;) .

Have a good sleep guys you've earned it. But in the great north its champagne time.

Cheers
 
^Blame Rogers, that's slowing p2p. I'd say this has to be settled in Brandon's replay ;)

No problem, I wasn't actually calling foul, or expecting any sort of change TBH.
I figured your replay would show you slightly ahead, and that it was just an error in my replay (and head).
I just sooo wanted to believe I actually crossed the line first, I figured I was wrong in the actual race, and that you indeed must have passed me at the very last centimetre.

It's certainly the first time I've seen that happen :D


I don't think it has anything to do with the internet I think it's a Monza glitch. It happened before in a practice race for the mid season All Star race in the Cappy's and I've seen it once in an open lobby. In the real time race I was only looking ahead, I only saw Hydro in my peripheral and I didn't think in real time that I had passed him either. I'm confident Brandon's replay will show the exact same thing as will anyone else's replay. But I say that, if in real time and in both our replays Hydro, we both see the exact same thing, then it's pretty obviously your victory.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back