Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,218 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the 5-6-7 place finish on the second race, intense. Wendydave and I were going back and forth most of the race but then we caught up to NCemtB to make for a photo finish. 0.010 seconds between the three of us.

picture.php
 
Blind829
This was the 5-6-7 place finish on the second race, intense. Wendydave and I were going back and forth most of the race but then we caught up to NCemtB to make for a photo finish.

Wow! So that's what .001 looks like...
 
Unbelievable...two photo finishes for 5 positions in one race!!
 
Blind829
This was the 5-6-7 place finish on the second race, intense. Wendydave and I were going back and forth most of the race but then we caught up to NCemtB to make for a photo finish. 0.010 seconds between the three of us.

I thought had no chance on this one until I jumped out of the draft and then realised I'd ..........missed it by that much.
 


Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Turn 1 Was definitely chaotic, but was also nice and clean
 
Last edited:
I did some math as that first race today was SO FAST. Fastest of the week if I'm not mistaken at 25'48.382.

If you exclude the first lap which was 2'19.297 [for Hydro] that results in an average for the 11 full speed laps of 2'08.099 which is faster than the pole sitters qualification time. Sick! And not once did any of the top three hit anything over a 2'08.XXX except the initial lap with the standing start.
 
Last edited:
WRP001
I did some math as that first race today was SO FAST. Fastest of the week if I'm not mistaken at 25'48.382.

If you exclude the first lap which was 2'19.297 [for Hydro] that results in an average for the 11 full speed laps of 2'08.099 which is faster than the pole sitters qualification time. Sick! And not once did any of the top three hit anything over a 2'08.XXX except the initial lap with the standing start.

That's ridiculous fast... I was thrilled with my pace and finishing 4th, it wasn't even close to what you three in the front were running...
 
dsgerbc
^Blame Rogers, that's slowing p2p. I'd say this has to be settled in Brandon's replay ;)

My replay shows Hydro getting the win too, and based in the discussion I say it's only fair to adjust the results to reflect his double victory.

Wild stuff!
 
I did some math as that first race today was SO FAST. Fastest of the week if I'm not mistaken at 25'48.382.

If you exclude the first lap which was 2'19.297 [for Hydro] that results in an average for the 11 full speed laps of 2'08.099 which is faster than the pole sitters qualification time. Sick! And not once did any of the top three hit anything over a 2'08.XXX except the initial lap with the standing start.

My replay shows Hydro getting the win too, and based in the discussion I say it's only fair to adjust the results to reflect his double victory.

Wild stuff!

Thanks Brandon, That's definitely the right thing to do 👍

Yes it was a fast race WRP. I took the lead in the middle laps because I noticed I had a slight advantage on you and Hydro in the two right handers following the second chicane and thought if I could just break the draft I might have a chance to get away but it wasn't meant to be. I pushed as hard as I could those few laps running I think 7.8 - 8.2 for 5 laps or so but just couldn't get away, you guys were too fast. The pace was fantastic and never let up...great race 👍
 
Congrats Hydro on the double. 👍 Smart racing for sure.
If you exclude the first lap which was 2'19.297 [for Hydro] that results in an average for the 11 full speed laps of 2'08.099 which is faster than the pole sitters qualification time. Sick! And not once did any of the top three hit anything over a 2'08.XXX except the initial lap with the standing start.
Excellent use of bump drafting! 👍 Before my spin in that race, I was running mid-high 1'08s every lap but was still losing over half a second every lap. My poor pace and mistakes on the blue tires had me lose the draft in the opening laps and there was no way to catch you guys after that with Yuri leading the pack.

About Monaco: Finally a track I really like, but I'm already dreading the reverse race. There will be chaos in T1 because of the funnel effect in both races, but the reverse can definitely go very bad in a hurry here, even with the best drivers involved. The fast guys at the back will need to be very patient with overtaking, if they can overtake at all. In Monaco the guys at the back will need to avoid the mindset of rushing to the front and to let the race come to them. With the highly talented level-headed guys in this series, I'm sure that will be the case most of the time, but a reminder never hurts. My recommendation would be not to try to pass at all unless the guy ahead makes a large mistake, but that obviously isn't going to happen. In my opinion if i was making the schedule, I would have made Monaco an enduro to avoid a reverse race and to try and create passing through pit stops.

I hope I'm just being worried for nothing.
 
Yeah, I just checked my replay. I only see eight cars, and I'm listed eighth to start.
In turn 1, my car moves to the right, but wendydave and I weren't even close to each other. I felt it when I was driving, but I wanted to run the race anyway.
It was while I was running the race I decided that I didn't want to be a roadblock to faster drivers that I couldn't see in the second race. It's not like I was super fast!
I hope I didn't mess up anyone's race. If I did, I apologize.
But I still loved the race. This series is great, and "Thank You" Brandon for all the work you do!! :cheers:
 
About Monaco: Finally a track I really like, but I'm already dreading the reverse race. There will be chaos in T1 because of the funnel effect in both races, but the reverse can definitely go very bad in a hurry here, even with the best drivers involved. The fast guys at the back will need to be very patient with overtaking, if they can overtake at all. In Monaco the guys at the back will need to avoid the mindset of rushing to the front and to let the race come to them. With the highly talented level-headed guys in this series, I'm sure that will be the case most of the time, but a reminder never hurts. My recommendation would be not to try to pass at all unless the guy ahead makes a large mistake, but that obviously isn't going to happen. In my opinion if i was making the schedule, I would have made Monaco an enduro to avoid a reverse race and to try and create passing through pit stops.

I hope I'm just being worried for nothing.

Personally I would rather try and see the passing on the track (especially with the inconsistent GT pitcrew). I think once lap 1 is settled in race 2, everyone will be as okay as in any other race. With the talent of the top guys in this group, they will find a way around, they always do. I think I may just carry a different philosophy about racing than others. Sure winning and running up front is great, but the part of racing that I enjoy the most is the actual racing with other cars...passing and being passed, setting up the next move etc. I have run in other races where I was one of the faster guys, I always enjoyed the reverse grid because it was fun trying to come up through the field. For you fast guys, take it as a challenge. If you don't win it isn't the end of the world, we don't pay real money and certainly no one puts a picture of the winner in the paper with the beautiful trophy girl. As much as I don't like this track, I bet this is one of the tighter finishes we have throughout the whole field.
 
TrackBound7
I think I may just carry a different philosophy about racing than others. Sure winning and running up front is great, but the part of racing that I enjoy the most is the actual racing with other cars...passing and being passed, setting up the next move etc.


👍 and +100. I am the same way. When I started online racing I was terrible around other cars and it was very frustrating. I have improved 10 fold yet still have more to learn. I love the mental challenge of trying to predict what the car in front/behind is going to do, how it's going to effect me and my actions, making a plan for every turn, all in the span of a couple seconds and hundreds of times in 20-30 minutes.

Of course I've rarely run up front and have never finished better than third so I can't say whether I'd enjoy that more or not. :lol:
 
SagarisGTB
About Monaco: Finally a track I really like, but I'm already dreading the reverse race. There will be chaos in T1 because of the funnel effect in both races, but the reverse can definitely go very bad in a hurry here, even with the best drivers involved. The fast guys at the back will need to be very patient with overtaking, if they can overtake at all. In Monaco the guys at the back will need to avoid the mindset of rushing to the front and to let the race come to them. With the highly talented level-headed guys in this series, I'm sure that will be the case most of the time, but a reminder never hurts. My recommendation would be not to try to pass at all unless the guy ahead makes a large mistake, but that obviously isn't going to happen. In my opinion if i was making the schedule, I would have made Monaco an enduro to avoid a reverse race and to try and create passing through pit stops.

I hope I'm just being worried for nothing.

I'm glad to finally be going to a track where the draft won't even factor into the race... I love driving this car at Monaco. If you know the track and can put down some good, consistent laps over the entire race distance, you'll do very well here. I don't think the fast guys will have much trouble getting back to the front in race #2, even though it might take them a few more laps than on the bigger tracks. Everyone will have definitely earned their positions at the end of this week.
 
Passing at Monaco will go a little easier than you think. It's a tricky course, even the best of us will make a mistake or two, and even small mistakes here can be costly. So being patient and hanging close will pay off if you're there to take advantage. But you will have to earn every position. I'm not concerned about turn 1, lap 1 either, we all did a fantastic job of getting through T1 at Monza and in 8 races I don't think we had any real lap 1 issues. 👍
 
There is one secret to passing, or not getting passed at Monaco, depending on your position - the guardrails. It is obviously more difficult to get a clean run on someone who stays off the guardrails and get to the point where the GTPlanet rules say you have equal rights to the corner and not just your nose in front of the bumper of the car you are following. But the unique thing about this course compared to the small Tsukuba track for example is the guardrails, and a kiss on the guardrail anywhere on corner exit usually slows someone enough that you can get by on the following straight. Not so important on corner entry.

So anyone from first to second last, stay off the guardrail, be as smooth and consistent as possible and make it as difficult as possible for someone to get by. It's tough when you're looking back to the pack behind you chomping at your heels, especially in the reverse grid, but you need only worry about the person directly behind you and you know he's not going to keep his nose inside of yours unless he's even with your front end. It's also tough to hold an inside line here if he does get parallel and a lot of guys will slow too much allowing you swing by if you can hold your outside line.

We raced in the Cappy here last year and it was a good close race without any major incidents so I expect it'll be the same this year. Remember too that the curbing in the chicane is considered "track" according to GTPlanet rules so adjust your racing lines accordingly. You can gain or lose a second just through that sector depending on your line there.
 
There is one secret to passing, or not getting passed at Monaco, depending on your position - the guardrails. It is obviously more difficult to get a clean run on someone who stays off the guardrails and get to the point where the GTPlanet rules say you have equal rights to the corner and not just your nose in front of the bumper of the car you are following. But the unique thing about this course compared to the small Tsukuba track for example is the guardrails, and a kiss on the guardrail anywhere on corner exit usually slows someone enough that you can get by on the following straight. Not so important on corner entry.

So anyone from first to second last, stay off the guardrail, be as smooth and consistent as possible and make it as difficult as possible for someone to get by. It's tough when you're looking back to the pack behind you chomping at your heels, especially in the reverse grid, but you need only worry about the person directly behind you and you know he's not going to keep his nose inside of yours unless he's even with your front end. It's also tough to hold an inside line here if he does get parallel and a lot of guys will slow too much allowing you swing by if you can hold your outside line.

We raced in the Cappy here last year and it was a good close race without any major incidents so I expect it'll be the same this year. Remember too that the curbing in the chicane is considered "track" according to GTPlanet rules so adjust your racing lines accordingly. You can gain or lose a second just through that sector depending on your line there.

+1
There is only one place on track you can pass a guy without a mistake - turn 3.
The only other way to pass is to ride on the bumper of the car in front and "Scare" them into making a mistake.

I'm actually looking forward to the reveres grid. I'm a big fan of passes that take 3 laps to setup.

I just hope nobody abuses it and takes a dive in race 1 just to get the pole in race 2 (close to a guaranteed win).
 
These cars are also tiny. So they fit well on Monaco.


Maybe my favorite track this season!
 
I'm the opposite: I absolutely detest this track. Even back in the day when I followed formula 1, it was either a crash fest or a complete bore.

Did a few (very inconsistent) laps this afternoon. Best was 1:50.407.
 
I'm the opposite: I absolutely detest this track. Even back in the day when I followed formula 1, it was either a crash fest or a complete bore.

Did a few (very inconsistent) laps this afternoon. Best was 1:50.407.

Faster than me......
I think I was a 50.6...
 
I love driving this track, unfortunately I am traveling this week and cannot make the race.
I was trying the car @ Nurburgring 24H. At around 4:30 am game time in cockpit view the early morning light lighting up parts of the cars interior was absolutely spectacular. Then it started to rain lol. Tough track once the surface water gets up near 90%. Any way I suggest everyone should try driving this car in cockpit view with the hud and course map off at this track. It really shows off what this game can offer as a "Real Driving Simulator".
 
carracerptp
Faster than me......
I think I was a 50.6...

You'll be at 47.X by race day... Wanna bet? You're sandbagging, but you won't fool me. :sly:
 
+1
There is only one place on track you can pass a guy without a mistake - turn 3.
I don't think I see a clean way of passing there either. Unless you expect people to yield when your front bumper is just inside their rear one.
The only other way to pass is to ride on the bumper of the car in front and "Scare" them into making a mistake.
Just keep in mind that if you're on someone's bumper and he hits the rail and then you hit and spin him - it's
a) your fault.
b) you're slowing yourself down.

I don't see this as a viable strategy here. If you force someone into a mistake here it means he's hitting a wall, hence you don't want to be on that someone's bumper.
 
I love driving this track, unfortunately I am traveling this week and cannot make the race.
I was trying the car @ Nurburgring 24H. At around 4:30 am game time in cockpit view the early morning light lighting up parts of the cars interior was absolutely spectacular. Then it started to rain lol. Tough track once the surface water gets up near 90%. Any way I suggest everyone should try driving this car in cockpit view with the hud and course map off at this track. It really shows off what this game can offer as a "Real Driving Simulator".
I hope I can procure a decent gated shifter by the time we're doing this.
 
^ did you just put that together just to reply to me? :dopey:
Thanks.
 
My replay shows Hydro getting the win too, and based in the discussion I say it's only fair to adjust the results to reflect his double victory.

Wild stuff!

Thanks Brandon, that was a weird and wild one, that's for sure.
I don't imagine I'll ever see a finish like that again. Too bad, it was a blast :D

I did some math as that first race today was SO FAST. Fastest of the week if I'm not mistaken at 25'48.382.

If you exclude the first lap which was 2'19.297 [for Hydro] that results in an average for the 11 full speed laps of 2'08.099 which is faster than the pole sitters qualification time. Sick! And not once did any of the top three hit anything over a 2'08.XXX except the initial lap with the standing start.
That was just nuts. And virtually no contact between us. Second race was almost as clean too, but a little more aggressive, and being the second race, I was tiring a bit (and sweating :sly:), causing a few slips.
Seriously fun races, and I really, really don't like Monza. I love the stretch between Lesmo and Ascari (Serraglio stretch or something). Visually, it's possibly my favourite stretch of track anywhere.
I was joking with WRP and Ren after Friday's race that if you remove the chicanes it becomes the 'Daytony 500'. Think I'll run with that :lol:

Monaco next huh?......can we turn visual damage on? Sure it might throw off the race physics (a lot), but It could make for some awesome pics ;)
 
I don't think I see a clean way of passing there either. Unless you expect people to yield when your front bumper is just inside their rear one.

Just keep in mind that if you're on someone's bumper and he hits the rail and then you hit and spin him - it's
a) your fault.
b) you're slowing yourself down.

I don't see this as a viable strategy here. If you force someone into a mistake here it means he's hitting a wall, hence you don't want to be on that someone's bumper.

Well, it works if you do it right, just keep your eyes open so when/if he goes in to hot, back off and wait for impact.
 
dsgerbc seemed proud of his insta-spin this week so I captured it for him:

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back