Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,218 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did an engine and chassis rebuild really make three seconds of a difference, or where you sandbagging? :)


I did a chassis rebuild Saturday and my time's improved by almost 2 seconds from Friday. But my Friday times were about 1-1.5 seconds slower than my Tuesday times so I figured something might need sprucing up. Didn't do an engine rebuild though, just made sure it had fresh oilz.
 
I did a chassis rebuild Saturday and my time's improved by almost 2 seconds from Friday. But my Friday times were about 1-1.5 seconds slower than my Tuesday times so I figured something might need sprucing up. Didn't do an engine rebuild though, just made sure it had fresh oilz.

Looks like I'll be spending some credits tonight then. Bob's been putting in some overtime recently so I may just splash the cash and do the whole heap. Shame you can't buy talent in GT Auto too.
 
^ I got mine done for free, used one of the GT Auto coupons. It's a half-million to do it, so figured it would be a good time to use my first coupon.
 
.........and then I come in here to see you guys are doing Monaco laps that are 3-4 seconds faster than mine. Y'all are real party poopers, you know that?? :yuck:

Haha, that's what I love about this league. Some of the best of the best are here and they are all willing to provide tips. (Eg. I had much less front tire wear this past week from not "sawing" on the wheel:tup:)
 
Did an engine and chassis rebuild really make three seconds of a difference, or where you sandbagging? :)


Sandbagging? I wish.
Yes it did, I was driving the wheels off it for a 50.6.... Maybe I was over driving?

My best tip for the league is: full refresh after every race.
I did that for the first 3 races (Got the cash by B-SPECing the SPA race over, and over..), then I stopped at Monza as the car didn't seem to need it.
 
^ I got mine done for free, used one of the GT Auto coupons. It's a half-million to do it, so figured it would be a good time to use my first coupon.

Sandbagging? I wish.
Yes it did, I was driving the wheels off it for a 50.6.... Maybe I was over driving?

My best tip for the league is: full refresh after every race.
I did that for the first 3 races (Got the cash by B-SPECing the SPA race over, and over..), then I stopped at Monza as the car didn't seem to need it.

Cheers for this. It's an expensive car to buy and an expensive car to maintain. I have the cash from Bob plus he has some more tucked away under the matress.
 
Damn, I was happy with my 50.4 yesterday, though I was pissed because I knew I could break into the 49's if I just spent a little more time on it. Here's hoping an engine/chassis refresh will drop a couple seconds off my time, but I'm not keeping my hopes up about that.
 
Does anybody know anything about how the chassis deteriorates? Is it just the miles, or the amount of wall love the car took? If the latter - might as well avoid the refresh until after the practice tonight =)
 
^ "wall love" - Genius.

:lol:
 
Sandbagging? I wish.
Yes it did, I was driving the wheels off it for a 50.6.... Maybe I was over driving?

My best tip for the league is: full refresh after every race.
I did that for the first 3 races (Got the cash by B-SPECing the SPA race over, and over..), then I stopped at Monza as the car didn't seem to need it.

The chassis/engine refresh didn't do much for me. I was running 47.7 before and 47.7 after... unfortunately no magic wand there. Guess I haven't put enough miles on the car for it to be needed. I'm more typically in the 48s and 47's require a very clean lap. 12 laps show almost no tire wear -- or at least very little impact on times -- even when I'm blowing out the fronts over driving.

I'm curious how you guys are approaching the chicane. Usually I set up a car to be pretty loose and you can whip it around there and use the rumbles, but this car push slides the second it touches the rumble making it hard to get back on the gas early. Maybe my angles are wrong, but I think there's some time to be gained at that spot that might get me closer to a 46. Hoping to jump on for some group practice tonight.

Do we know if the system is going to be functional for the EU race tomorrow or is the update going to shut us down? If it does shut down one or both races is there a proposed alternate time (Thursday)? Or will we just run the two remaining spots this week?
 
The chassis/engine refresh didn't do much for me. I was running 47.7 before and 47.7 after... unfortunately no magic wand there. Guess I haven't put enough miles on the car for it to be needed. I'm more typically in the 48s and 47's require a very clean lap. 12 laps show almost no tire wear -- or at least very little impact on times -- even when I'm blowing out the fronts over driving.

I'm curious how you guys are approaching the chicane. Usually I set up a car to be pretty loose and you can whip it around there and use the rumbles, but this car push slides the second it touches the rumble making it hard to get back on the gas early. Maybe my angles are wrong, but I think there's some time to be gained at that spot that might get me closer to a 46. Hoping to jump on for some group practice tonight.

Do we know if the system is going to be functional for the EU race tomorrow or is the update going to shut us down? If it does shut down one or both races is there a proposed alternate time (Thursday)? Or will we just run the two remaining spots this week?

I'm braking almost to the entry wall, very close to it, the off the gas, roll over the rumbles (Red/white rumbles are "track" right?) then slide off so I have a clear and very close to the exit wall exit, full power and out.

Seems the closer I could get to the walls, the fast my times got.

Now, if I can just figure out how to "morph" through the walls...

 
Last edited:
Do we know if the system is going to be functional for the EU race tomorrow or is the update going to shut us down? If it does shut down one or both races is there a proposed alternate time (Thursday)? Or will we just run the two remaining spots this week?
Supposedly anyone from EU should be fine if he's online by 2pm GMT. Maintenance won't log'em out.
 
Maintenance am UK time. Think it is 3am start. I'll have the opportunity to check before I leave for work and I'll report my findings here.

One thing that's not clear is if the update will be available as soon as maintenance is completed.
 
I'm braking almost to the entry wall, very close to it, the off the gas, roll over the rumbles (Red/white rumbles are "track" right?) then slide off so I have a clear and very close to the exit wall exit, full power and out.

Seems the closer I could get to the walls, the fast my times got.

Rumbles are of course track, but with this car and real grip reduction I'm having a hard time using them in the chicane with any effectiveness as my car gets out of shape when I use the rumble as I normally would. I guess I'll have to watch some replays to see how you're attacking them and at what angle.

Honestly I wish that chicane was solid wall like it was in previous versions (GT3 and GT4):

85RX-7CoteD2.jpg


How is the real track setup? We've run this track twice in the WRS and this is considered clean, but is really pushing the boundaries to the extreme and changing the track if you ask me, but it is the letter of the OLR as two tires are over track surface. I don't really like cutting that corner to that extent here... too many dirty laps result because you miss your mark by just a few feet.

picture.php
 
Last edited:
Maintenance am UK time. Think it is 3am start. I'll have the opportunity to check before I leave for work and I'll report my findings here.

One thing that's not clear is if the update will be available as soon as maintenance is completed.
GT5 maintenance is in early AM GMT on Tuesday. I suppose the update will be out right after that. After that, @2pm GMT there's a PSN maintenance until 7am GMT on Wednesday.
 
GT5 maintenance is in early AM GMT on Tuesday. I suppose the update will be out right after that. After that, @2pm GMT there's a PSN maintenance until 7am GMT on Wednesday.


So does the PSN maintenance run right through our normal time slot then? If so I guess we'll need to move it.


Also, for all you married or "taken" guys I think we should move next week's Tuesday race (Feb 14th = Valentine's Day) to Monday to prevent any unnecessary castrations. Does anybody have any objections to that? This would go for both the GMT and EST races.


@WRP, technically that photo is legal but by no more than a centimeter! I'd prefer not to see this kind of curb abuse during our races but it is within the rules so I can't do much about it. I'd appreciate it if everyone would try there best to keep "the majority" of your outside tires on the red & white curbs but I know this can be easier said than done. As I've said before, if you wonder if you're cutting it too much you probably are so try to cut it a little less than what you think is legal and we'll be fine.
 
So does the PSN maintenance run right through our normal time slot then? If so I guess we'll need to move it.


Also, for all you married or "taken" guys I think we should move next week's Tuesday race (Feb 14th = Valentine's Day) to Monday to prevent any unnecessary castrations. Does anybody have any objections to that? This would go for both the GMT and EST races.
Like I said, if one's logged into PSN by 2pm GMT it shouldn't matter. But I suppose doing that might be an issue for some, so move it? Wednesday? :)

Oh, and I don't care about Feb 14th race. I'm fairly certain I could still make it, and if I couldn't -there are other slots.
 
GT5 maintenance is in early AM GMT on Tuesday. I suppose the update will be out right after that. After that, @2pm GMT there's a PSN maintenance until 7am GMT on Wednesday.

I cannot find any mention of this PSN maintenance. There was maintenance last thursday from 2pm to 7am.

If there is maintenance, then I for one won't be racing tomorrow.
 
I probably mixed up dates and there's no PSN maintenance.
 
I cannot find any mention of this PSN maintenance. There was maintenance last thursday from 2pm to 7am.

If there is maintenance, then I for one won't be racing tomorrow.


You're right, the PSN maintenance already came it went, it was last week. Just GT5 server maintenance followed up update this week. Presuming the update is out soon after the maintenance completes I don't think we'll have an issue. Everyone should be sure to get the update downloaded and installed as soon as they can so it doesn't catch you out at the last minute.

We have to at least move the GMT Valentine's day race since RDA won't be around to host it due to womanly commitments. I don't have any conflicts with the EST Tuesday race ( :( ) but I figured at least some of you would so the easiest thing to do would probably be move it to Monday the 13th. I'm not available Wednesday's but if somebody else can host it on Wednesday and that works for more people I'm fine with that too.
 
BrandonW77
I don't have any conflicts with the EST Tuesday race ( :( ) but I figured at least some of you would so the easiest thing to do would probably be move it to Monday the 13th.

Not taking the triple screens out on a date? :lol:
 
I'm not even going to dignify that with a comment, other that "your jealousy is showing". :sly:
 
Not taking the triple screens out on a date? :lol:

That would be a tad of an expensive night out - "Table for four sir?"
Cue jokes about Brandon and his harem...
 
Now that is awesome ^^^ I cut it close, but not that close (99% of my laps would go red if I tried). Who was driving?


Looks like Jordan to me. :)
 
Now that is awesome ^^^ I cut it close, but not that close (99% of my laps would go red if I tried). Who was driving?

It wasn't me. That time trial was long before I even owned GT5. Also remember this pic is from offline hot laps where you have 100s of tries to get the perfect lap AND someone reviews the replay to make sure you didn't go over the boundary -- not something an online race admin can do for every driver every lap.

And I agree 100% that this is cutting it too close for an online race. Any driver is going to miss their perfect mark a large % of the time and if you aim for that you are going to be dirty half the times you miss... bad form. Which is why I prefer the wall to be there and eliminate that issue.

If you try to get that close to a wall you end up paying the price when you make a mistake so you create a larger cushion for yourself if you are smart. On the other hand with the rumble alone if you make a mistake to the inside you actually benefit. 👎 Very similar to monza really... people cut there by mistake and gain time every race I watch... not intentional but watch the replay... it happens... it wouldn't happen with a wall.
 
RDAardvark
That would be a tad of an expensive night out - "Table for four sir?"
Cue jokes about Brandon and his harem...

:lol::lol::lol:
 
Now that is awesome ^^^ I cut it close, but not that close (99% of my laps would go red if I tried). Who was driving?

Did some research... it was our very own Chuk!!!! :p

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5137834#post5137834

Like I said, if one's logged into PSN by 2pm GMT it shouldn't matter. But I suppose doing that might be an issue for some, so move it? Wednesday? :)

Oh, and I don't care about Feb 14th race. I'm fairly certain I could still make it, and if I couldn't -there are other slots.

If you move any races from Tuesday either for Valentines day or maintenance any chance they can be scheduled on Monday or Thursday would be great. We have WRS online races every Wednesday basically overlapping both time slots so that would eliminate a good set of us. If there's no choice then you gotta do what you gotta do and we can race Friday / Saturday those weeks. Of all the races of the season Spa is the one I'm most looking forward to and would like to get that one in as often as possible.

Or as a compromise move one to Wednesday and one to Monday or Thursday?
 
Last edited:
My approach to the chicane is to avoid the curb on entry. It seems to unsettle the car more than I am comfortable with, especially in a race where I'm trying to get through it every time without contact. I usually get two wheels on the curb on exit, but I try to wait until I get the car rotated before hitting the curb, and I'm very careful with the throttle until I'm off the curb. Then again, I'm one of the slower guys in this series, so maybe you should just do opposite of what I say :lol:
 
I remember that picture. I spent hours checking that lap. It wasn't even that fast! :ouch:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back