Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,218 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
So at this point, how many of us are considering a defection to iRacing? lol
 
Naptown25rs
So at this point, how many of us are considering a defection to iRacing? lol

It's in the works. But has been for almost 6 months. Pretty decent chance I'll be on it when the Triples are hung. However I won't be quitting GT5. Reduction in league amounts. Yes. Stick with ORCA and PURE one or two of their sanctioned events.
 
So at this point, how many of us are considering a defection to iRacing? lol

I'm looking into IRacing this summer. I will be getting a new computer for work and hopefully will load it on the second PC.
With shelling out 20 dollars for DLC, IRacing is looking cheaper and cheaper.
I won't be dropping GT5 though :gtpflag:

I think I need to refresh my car after 2 short races? I couldn't get a flat 30s T1 at all tonight.
 
Wow. Usually by the time I get on the forum I have to read through 2 pages of conversation. Today I had to go to the second page of the forum just to find us. I hope this online bug that PD seems to keep adding to isn't getting every down that much. I am sure or fearless leader will keep us going in some fashion.

It is very disheartening when everyone goes to a lot of effort in preparation for a race only to have the shine taken off by all the bugs.

After the season is over, I'm going to take time out and do the WRS qualifier.

Oh, and to save yourself searching for this thread, on the top right there is a menu called 'thread tools'. Open than and select 'subscribe to this thread'. you can even sign up to be notified overtime the thread is updated.
 
iRacing looks pretty cool. I like that they have LimeRock and Thompson, both local tracks for me. Seems like a fair amount of oval racing with the Legends car and Street stock (along with the NASCAR stuff). I am just too committed to GT5 (for now) and really enjoy this group. Not sure I would want to start over on something different.
 
iRacing looks pretty cool. I like that they have LimeRock and Thompson, both local tracks for me. Seems like a fair amount of oval racing with the Legends car and Street stock (along with the NASCAR stuff). I am just too committed to GT5 (for now) and really enjoy this group. Not sure I would want to start over on something different.

Perhaps start the iORCA group?
I've started investigating iRacing but I'd need to upgrade my PC first. Just the graphics card, but it looks like it's $12 a month to go online?
But it has Silverstone, Brands and Oulton. And doesn't have Monaco. the arguement is getting stronger!

Seriously off-topic now! Maybe time for an iRacing thread in the social group?

Ramdon thought: Anyone tried plugging a DFGT into a Wii?
 
Last edited:
I don't think Wii's have a USB port for a controller. Logitech makes a wheel for the Wii but it does away with the pedals and uses the paddles as throttle/brake, which is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

I tried iRacing for a bit, my PC wasn't really up to snuff but it worked. I never actually raced, just lots of hot laps. It has it's positives and negatives, the physics are superb and very realistic (almost too realistic) but the graphics are meh. It's also very expensive, monthly subscription fee plus you have to pay for each car and track. You get a beginner pack with 6 or 8 cars and 4 or 5 tracks, but you can only compete in amateur races with those. If you want to move up at all you have to buy each car and each track and they're around $12 per car and $15 per track so you can see how it will get pretty pricey real quick. Outside of GT5 it's probably the best option right now because you don't have to download a bunch of mods and stuff. But the community here is what I enjoy the most. I do have an idea that could bring some iRacing elements to what we do here, still lots of brainstorming to do on that one though. :sly:


Back on-topic (somewhat), to our wheel users, what's been your experience with the new force feedback after 2.04? Lots of varying reports about whether it's better/worse/same and I'm wondering what you guys have found. We're all super familiar with the Alfa so should be able to detect any kind of change. I've only driven a little bit since 2.04, it felt slightly different to me but nothing drastic and I couldn't say whether it was good/bad/indifferent. I plan on doing some testing tonight in a couple different cars to get a feel for it.
 
I didn't really notice any difference, but then I've a DFGT which wasn't mentioned in the update blurb. I suppose it also doesn't help that I've only driven at Monaco, a track on which I suck at the best of times.

On a somewhat lighter note, I spotted this in the car park at work and felt compelled to share.
IMAG0362.jpg
 
^ you've made me have a crisis. :drool:
 
BrandonW77
^ you've made me have a crisis. :drool:

It'd be better if it were the true "cheese grater" style WRC wing from '05-'07.

That just looks tacky with those insert in there...
 
I've been trying to figure out if it's just the track/car combination or something to do with 2.04, but it seems to me I just can't feel the car like I used to. At the other tracks in the series I could almost always tell what the car was going to do with feedback from the wheel, now it seems like the car is doing things visually, like getting loose in the back, pushing in the front, the front end digging in, and I can't feel it through the wheel. Could be just the track because some tracks are like that and I haven't had the chance to do any real testing to figure it out.

But there are a couple of threads about reduced FFB and all cars feeling dead using the G25/27/DFGT wheels and it popped up within a couple of threads that I noticed. May not affect unsupported wheels. With most products you'd usually assume the company wouldn't make a change to the entirety of a device or product range to fix one small thing by dumbing down everything, but with PD you just never know. Why is qualifying now messed up when it worked fine for months? Why is there no proper qualifying to begin with? Why can't you get payouts now in online races? Why does anything change the way it does in GT5?:crazy:
 
All i saw on that sti is the registration starting from BRZ. D/k why is that, could be because i have a deposit on one....
 
I've been trying to figure out if it's just the track/car combination or something to do with 2.04, but it seems to me I just can't feel the car like I used to. At the other tracks in the series I could almost always tell what the car was going to do with feedback from the wheel, now it seems like the car is doing things visually, like getting loose in the back, pushing in the front, the front end digging in, and I can't feel it through the wheel. Could be just the track because some tracks are like that and I haven't had the chance to do any real testing to figure it out.

But there are a couple of threads about reduced FFB and all cars feeling dead using the G25/27/DFGT wheels and it popped up within a couple of threads that I noticed. May not affect unsupported wheels. With most products you'd usually assume the company wouldn't make a change to the entirety of a device or product range to fix one small thing by dumbing down everything, but with PD you just never know. Why is qualifying now messed up when it worked fine for months? Why is there no proper qualifying to begin with? Why can't you get payouts now in online races? Why does anything change the way it does in GT5?:crazy:

I've got a solution. Just always race in the rain. Then nobody ever has any grip and you can't tell whether the system is screwed up or it's just slick on track. :dopey: The WRS-Online rain event @ suzuka yesterday was amazing -- even though PD threw us the usual glitches and curve balls in the first race. It was fun through the dry cycle as you started to feel like a super hero setting fast laps as the track dried. Running in an Elise made it all the more fun. Any of you with GTP tags [on the registry] we may do a special rerun on Saturday if you are interested.

I wonder how this TZ2 would handle in the rain? The Elise was a challenge given it already has the tendency to lose the back end, but that helps you rotate too in the wet... with this pushing Alfa beast it might require a custom tune rather than stock.
 
One the feedback - I'll repeat here what I posted in other threads:
If you run with powersteering off - just bump FFB 1-2 notches up and you'll get pretty similar feel to pre-2.04. If you run with PS on - yeah, there seems to be a mushy zone around the center now, not sure what to do about it.

And with lots of slow corners here I think PS=off makes sense for this track.
 
One the feedback - I'll repeat here what I posted in other threads:
If you run with powersteering off - just bump FFB 1-2 notches up and you'll get pretty similar feel to pre-2.04. If you run with PS on - yeah, there seems to be a mushy zone around the center now, not sure what to do about it.

And with lots of slow corners here I think PS=off makes sense for this track.

Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to really test things having only used 2.04 for qualifying on Tuesday. I do know my PS is on and my FF is at 7 so I have room to tighten things up.
 
And with lots of slow corners here I think PS=off makes sense for this track.

See, I think the opposite, lots of slow corners means the power-assisted steering will be a benefit so you can make quick actions. I love the power steering option, it feels more natural to me because I can move the wheel quickly instead of having to force it against the feedback.

Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to really test things having only used 2.04 for qualifying on Tuesday. I do know my PS is on and my FF is at 7 so I have room to tighten things up.

Check your settings, my FF was at 7 but I checked after the update and it magically went to 10. I left it at 10 and it felt pretty good.
 
See, I think the opposite, lots of slow corners means the power-assisted steering will be a benefit so you can make quick actions.
True, but you lose feedback info and compromise smoothness.
 
True, but you lose feedback info and compromise smoothness.

I've never turned on power assisted steering.
It makes the steering quicker?
I'll have to try it.

My wheel has been on the same settings since the game came out.... time to try new things I guess..
 
I've never turned on power assisted steering.
It makes the steering quicker?
I'll have to try it.

My wheel has been on the same settings since the game came out.... time to try new things I guess..

Power assisted steering, it seems to make the car feel dead to me, I can't drive with it.
 
I've never turned on power assisted steering.
It makes the steering quicker?
I'll have to try it.


During normal driving there is no difference between power steering on or off. What it does is cut the force feedback when you make very quick movements. So the only time you notice it is when you have to jerk the wheel really quickly in one direction, like when you're correcting oversteer. As soon as you stop the quick input the FFB goes back to normal. What I've found is that when the FFB cuts out it causes me to turn the wheel a little further than I normally would because I'm expecting resistance and don't get any, but this is usually a benefit because it's normally in a heated situation where more turning is necessary. It takes a minute to get used to but after awhile it starts to feel more like a normal car (to me anyway).

Drifting is very difficult with power steering off, but with it turned on you drift like a crazy man! :crazy:
 
Is anybody going to be around for some testing tonight? I'd like to try a few things out to see if I can figure out what's going on with qualifying and need some volunteers to help out. It won't be exciting, I'll ask people to go to the lounge/pits/track at different times and watch the timing monitor to see what's happening, start a couple races to see how it actually lines us up. I have a feeling there's still a working system in place but that it functions differently now and I'd like to figure it out so I can try to make the rest of the season go smoothly.

Maybe sometime after 7pm EST?
 
If we're just testing, can I drive my Cappy?
 
If we're just testing, can I drive my Cappy?


That's probably fine. I'll just need to position cars at different place, start a race and see what happens. If we do a race you're welcome to try running the Cappy against the Mighty Alfa. :sly:
 
I will try and show up for the test.
 
Maybe sometime after 7pm EST?

I should be able to hop on for testing, probably won't get the wheel out though so do expect to much haha. Let us know when you're on.
 
Who is looking to be in Monte Carlo tomorrow night?

Here!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back