Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,218 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Children, don't make me put you in a time-out. :dunce:
We're all entitled to our own opinions and to post those opinions wherever we want. Some of us are better at sugar-coating those opinions than others. I, for one, usually keep my opinions to myself but I'll express a few here.

I personally have no issues with how the Fuji event went down and I don't have an issue with how either of our teams performed. IIRC, in Team ORCA's practice the night before we were overrunning the track left and right. So much so that Yuri sent me a PM to the effect of "OMFG, IF WE RUN OFF THE TRACK LIKE THIS WE WILL BE A LAUGHING STOCK!". If you watch my view from the replays you'll probably see me abuse the track like a $2 hooker but never intentionally, just mistakes. And if the WRS/GTP guys watched any of our Monza replays they would say we are first class track abusers. And in their defense, if most of those guys are used to mainly time-trialling and not racing in traffic then Fuji isn't a very forgiving track for learning it.

As for the GTP tag, it's your club and you are allowed to do whatever you want with it. It's not really for me, that's just my opinion but I can see why many people really enjoy it so to each their own. Technically, we only allow people to race with us that have filled out our fancy google doc, that doesn't mean we're elitist against those who didn't. :) But, a GTP tag doesn't necessarily mean they are a clean racer because anybody can create a PSN (or whatever it's called now) account, even if they've never posted on the board or participated in an event. As a whole, I would say people with a GTP tag are more likely to be a bit more serious about the game and will be cleaner than the average pub racer. But, I've only had to ban one person from my series and he had a GTP tag, take that for what you will. :)


You guys have all expressed your opinions. You happen to disagree but you're not going to convince each other to change opinions over the Internet so it's not worth any more discussion in my opinion. It's just a game, we all play it differently and all of us are 10x cleaner than the riff-raff in pub rooms. 👍

Now back to you're regularly scheduled ORCA discussion and nonsense.


EDIT: I don't mind a healthy, civilized debate but this does look a little bad on both of us. Do you guys have mod powers that could maybe make the ugly posts disappear?
 
.........So much so that Yuri sent me a PM to the effect of "OMFG, IF WE RUN OFF THE TRACK LIKE THIS WE WILL BE A LAUGHING STOCK!"..............

Those practice races where so bad, I figured we would win only to be disqualified then be named the forum fools :scared:
 
^I was very impressed with how good we actually did, myself included. Probably the cleanest races we've ever run. And then we went to Monza........ Lol

I'm updating the PS3(s) now and should be in the lounge in about 10-15 for some testing and practice. Testing should only take 20 minutes or so.
 
testing in progress,in case anyone's wondering
 
Will be on in a little bit.

Sounds like things got a little heated. Hope everyone will be happy in a bit and move on. Regarding the GTP tag, I never understood that but never had a problem with it either way. I created my GTP account so I could try for the qualifier in the AMG event. Really just wanted to see where I stacked up for out right speed after putting in some good practice time. I don't see doing a lot of the WRS events just because TT's aren't my thing, I would rather race. With that said, my racing still needs a bunch of improvement ;) . Doing a 2nd account just gave me the excuse to buy more of the same cars for whatever reason.
 
How did testing go? Is there a magic formula for qualifying?

We never did decide what is happening next Tuesday: Are we moving to Monday? I cannot do the Tuesday GMT race but if someone else wants to host I've no problem with that.

I see the Men in Black have been in.
 
Last edited:
Yes, there is a way to make qualifying work. If everyone stays in the pits after they've done their laps we will be started in the correct order. If you go back to the lounge any time you've set will be cleared. The positive side is that we don't have to cycle the track to clear times anymore, we can just have everyone go to the lounge. The downside is that I can't go to the timing monitor to record the qualifying results. (Big thanks to everyone who helped with testing).

Next weeks Tuesday races will be moved one day earlier to Monday and will run at the same time slots (9pm GMT and 8pm EST).


Just so everyone knows, the Men in Black only came in at my request. I didn't want any further comments on it and didn't think we needed any record of it as it looked bad on both groups. If anybody has an issue with that you can take it up with me through PM.
 
Yes, there is a way to make qualifying work. If everyone stays in the pits after they've done their laps we will be started in the correct order. If you go back to the lounge any time you've set will be cleared. The positive side is that we don't have to cycle the track to clear times anymore, we can just have everyone go to the lounge. The downside is that I can't go to the timing monitor to record the qualifying results. (Big thanks to everyone who helped with testing).

Glad we have that sorted - The pole sitter's time should be visible on the screen and everyone should at least know their own lap times. Only downside is having to switch on the drivers list again - I switched it off as soon as that option was available.

Next weeks Tuesday races will be moved one day earlier to Monday and will run at the same time slots (9pm GMT and 8pm EST).

👍
 
Glad we have that sorted - The pole sitter's time should be visible on the screen and everyone should at least know their own lap times. Only downside is having to switch on the drivers list again - I switched it off as soon as that option was available.


I don't think you have to turn on the drivers list. We did several tests last night and the staying in the pits method worked every time so I'm confident it will work when we need it to. Before I start the race I can turn my drivers list on and read off the starting order, then turn it back off (I have it off now too). I will do a quick test tonight during practice to ensure the drivers list does show the correct order, providing I can find a few more guinea pigs (will only take 5 minutes to test).


EDIT: In other news, it appears "the bug" may have put its tail between its legs and run off. See HERE for a report (with statistics!) for a 16 person race.
 
Last edited:
EDIT: In other news, it appears "the bug" may have put its tail between its legs and run off. See HERE for a report (with statistics!) for a 16 person race.

Just know that this test you're referring to, was done in an online open lobby. Not a private lounge.
We had very bad issues with people not being able to enter the lounge so we went public...👎
 
^ Yes. We've very rarely had any problem with people not being able to join the lounge so I'm hoping we don't run into a similar issue. We didn't have any problems with it Tuesday or last night, so fingers are crossed.
 
Are mics back on then?
 
^ Not if we want to try running 14 people. If we stick to 12 we can try it but I'd like to see if 14 will work (maybe it's best not to test that on a race night though since I don't want to kick anybody out).
 
I don't think you have to turn on the drivers list. We did several tests last night and the staying in the pits method worked every time so I'm confident it will work when we need it to. Before I start the race I can turn my drivers list on and read off the starting order, then turn it back off (I have it off now too)...

IIRC, the drivers list on the right and the position in the top left was wrong during the countdown, but immediately corrected itself once the race started. We were all physically put in the right position every time, but don't be alarmed that during the countdown the list/position look wrong.
 
Blind829
IIRC, the drivers list on the right and the position in the top left was wrong during the countdown, but immediately corrected itself once the race started. We were all physically put in the right position every time, but don't be alarmed that during the countdown the list/position look wrong.

Yes. 👍
 
IIRC, the drivers list on the right and the position in the top left was wrong during the countdown, but immediately corrected itself once the race started. We were all physically put in the right position every time, but don't be alarmed that during the countdown the list/position look wrong.

I've noticed that discrepancy between the drivers list during the countdown and the actual grid position. Happens pretty much every race, everywhere as far as I can tell. Kind of bizarre but as long as the grid position is ok, doesn't matter what the driver's list order is.

Glad to see some progress may have been made with the bug, but I definitely won't jump to any conclusions with only a couple of data points. We'll see what happens if we get a big crowd tonight. Monaco would be a heckuva'n adventure with a couple of guys doing that wild lag thing that sometimes happens. Last place could take out an entire grid in seconds...lol. Be funny to watch the replay though...:)
 
Monaco:

Turn 1: you will be at full speed entering the braking point. Which is the line or two lil tree shadows if your drafting. Late Apex this turn slightly. Should be able to pick up the gas smoothly and accelerate out and up.

Top of the hill you will want to be tucked inside on the exit of the left. This gives you good approach for the right hander and down hill.

Through the two 180's and then into set if double rights. You will want to swing way left after the first right. Let the car rotate on right and get the nose towards the apex of the next right, right side tires touch the curb you can stay full throttle and head down the hill to the chicane.

This is a hard spot to explain. Biggest reason seems I never get the same line each lap. However I found being fast with the wheel when pulling back right is key. As well mid throttle. To little throttle rear comes around, to much throttle you plow into protruding wall. I try to put my left two tires on the corner of curb. Right two will touch asphalt inside curbing some.

Down the straight to the pool Area. Into a left. This has a cut out on the right side. You will want you right side tires on the curb. I hit the brakes right before this cut out on right and brake right up to the light post on right. Then I turn in with mid throttle. Once at apex you will know if you can go full throttle or slowly work into full throttle.

Now to the left right chicane. Hit this wide open. Start from right wall and enter the left turn touching curb. The right turn touching curb. Start on the breaks immediately out of the right. Let the car drift out to the left side get 2nd gear into the next right touch curb go Mid throttle. Instantly steer left and slow roll on the gas and drive out this left hander. burp the gas to get the nose/car to rotate if needed. This left would be a bit of a late apex too

Wide open to the right hand 180. Simple turn. I drop to 2nd. Get out of the left wall on exit.

Next is a lil goofy chicane and last turns. I swing way out to the left in that cut out. There is two tree shadows there. These will guide your turn in. Either off the gas or brake pump to set the car in and wide open through the lil left onto straight.

Tip:
Hit the walls. Drive hard and hit walls. Step it back from there. Trying to avoid the walls you won't learn to go fast as quick as the guy pushing limits and stepping them back.

Hope that will be useful for someone.


Best of Luck tonight all. I really love this track and know everyone would if they got around it proficient. It truly a rhythm and when you catch it. It's like making music.

See you guys in Monte Carlo!
 
Last edited:
IIRC, the drivers list on the right and the position in the top left was wrong during the countdown, but immediately corrected itself once the race started. We were all physically put in the right position every time, but don't be alarmed that during the countdown the list/position look wrong.


I was referring to before we start the race. I didn't test this last night but hopefully I/we can look at the drivers list while we're all in the pits and determine what the starting order will be without having to go back to the timing monitor. If not, we'll just need to have faith that it's starting us correctly.


I've noticed that discrepancy between the drivers list during the countdown and the actual grid position. Happens pretty much every race, everywhere as far as I can tell. Kind of bizarre but as long as the grid position is ok, doesn't matter what the driver's list order is.

Everything is different now. Everything we knew about how it lines us up and displays our order has changed so I'm not taking anything for granted.
 
Thanks Owens. Reinforces what I have been trying to do. The key word is trying ;). Its one thing to know what to do, its another to actually do it.
 
We will be doing qualifying a bit differently tonight, based on last nights tests. To reset the track I'll simply have everyone return to the lounge and this will clear the times. After the group (or groups) is finished I will have them return to the pits and stay there until the countdown finishes and the race starts. After you enter the track for qualifying you cannot leave to the lounge or you will lose your time. Basically, once qualifying starts we'll be on the track or in the pits until the race starts.

I won't be racing tonight, I burnt my thumb kinda bad last night pulling a pan out of the oven. Apparently I splashed a bit of water on the thumb of my oven mitt, and apparently that's as bad as using your bare hand. It felt like I didn't even have the mitt on, the wet spot start "boiling" and from the inside of the knuckle to where it meets the palm is a big blister now. I tried earlier and it's still just too sore for a track like Monaco, even with a glove on. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow. I will still host though.
 
Last edited:
Burns are some painful things. Get you some burn creme and take it easy. Otherwise skin will slide off. Yucky
 
To reset the track I'll simply have everyone return to the pits and this will clear the times.
You meant lounge, right?
I won't be racing tonight, I burnt my thumb kinda bad last night pulling a pan out of the oven.
Ouch. I'd ran to the store and get something. Otherwise healing might take a while.
 
BrandonW77
I won't be racing tonight, I burnt my thumb kinda bad last night pulling a pan out of the oven. Apparently I splashed a bit of water on the thumb of my oven mitt, and apparently that's as bad as using your bare hand. It felt like I didn't even have the mitt on, the wet spot start "boiling" and from the inside of the knuckle to where it meets the palm is a big blister now. I tried earlier and it's still just too sore for a track like Monaco, even with a glove on. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow. I will still host though.

Do the manly thing and lance that blister open, let it drain! :lol:
 
dsgerbc
You meant lounge, right?

Ouch. I'd ran to the store and get something. Otherwise healing might take a while.

Yes, lounge. Fixed.

I've been putting creme on it, it's getting better but still a bit too sore to race at Monaco. Route X would be fine. Lol

The Champ lounge is open. Qualifying will start at 10pm EST with 14 drivers max.
 
Good news, qualifying works. Bad news, it's kind of a pain and not as fun as it used to be, can't watch from the lounge anymore. Works perfectly though, the grid was 100% accurate.


I gotta thank you guys, all of you did exactly what I needed you to, when I needed you too. Because of that it worked perfectly and I got some good data from a large scale test. I'll see if I can figure out a way to make it easier but I might need to do a few more tests of some other scenarios. . Probably a good thing I didn't race tonight because I got to watch the timing monitor and make sure everything worked properly.
 
Well done Wii, Double win with a pole.
TrackBound got a solid 2nd, well done.
 
Good racing. I don't know about others, but I am enjoying every minute of Monaco, no matter how/where I drive. Gonna try to show up tomorrow as well, if I can fit it into my schedule.

P.S. Smth weird happened to my keyboard today. Won't type unless I unplug the wheel.
 
Had a blast in race 2 tonight. Race 1 was pretty uneventful and didnt see too many cars. Race 2 I had a mirror full of Owens and Wii for much of the race. I held to my line as tightly as I could. I know I was slowing those 2 up, but being in the lead on a track like that, I had to try all that I can. Owens helped a bit, holding Wii up for a little bit (unlike the rest of the field...didnt anyone get the memo to take Wii out for me hehe). Wii was just way too strong and got by me just before the last lap. 2nd is my best with the Capp/ORCA group, and had to work hard for it. I still owe Owens and Yuri a bunch for their help this season.

I know how the burns on the fingers feel. In high school I worked in a restaurant and grabbed a hot plate right off the shelf that came right out of the oven (didnt know it at the time). Blistered the day lights out of my thumb and pointer finger. I had a heck of a time finishing my shift and driving home. Slept that night with my hand in a bowl of ice water, only way I could get the pain to subside even a bit. Had a football game the next day. Played one of my better games that day, but man was it painful. Hope you are ready to run tomorrow.
 
Congrats to Wii. Excellent performance in taking max points at Monaco! 👍

In quali, I managed to do my best lap of the week so far, a 1'47.3, good for 3rd. It's remeniscent of quali on Tuesday where I managed to go sub 1'48 for the first time with a 1'47.866. Normally quali doesn't bring out the best in me, but it has this week at Monaco. But now I've jinxed it for tomorrow, so expect a 1'49 for Saturday's quali. :indiff:

Race 2 I unraveled a bit (a lot). Hit every wall, forced to cut the chicane on the first two laps, hit Yuri and Ren in turn 1, half-spun on lap 1 out of a good position, hit the wall at the chicane to let Carr overtake me and then hit the wall at the chicane even harder on the last lap for good measure. :yuck: Somehow through all of that, managed to finish 5th. I think that's how racing at Monaco is in a nutshell.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back