Alfa Z-Cup - Johnnypenso and Carracerptp Z-Cup Co-Champions!

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 2,668 comments
  • 117,212 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'll call that penalty on myself:nervous:
👍👍

In a normal race that would've ended ugly though =)
I usually don't react too well to being passed off track.
 
Here are the results from the final race. I will get this sorted after we get everything tallied. I apologize for the massive confusion.

imageuq.jpg
 
Points have been updated, but I don't know who got pole.
And good luck to Brandon in trying to separate yuri and carr.
 
Hmm.. Looks like the spreadsheet hasn't updated correctly...
At least I havn't been assigned the points gained from the moved euro-race.
Could it be the missing '_70' from my name on the result-board for that event??
 
Hmm.. Looks like the spreadsheet hasn't updated correctly...
At least I havn't been assigned the points gained from the moved euro-race.
Could it be the missing '_70' from my name on the result-board for that event??

Sorry Mikael. My mistake. :dunce:
I've fixed this and the correction should filter through in the next hour.
 
I've contacted the involved parties with proposed solutions. The short of it is, I screwed up the math and thought Yuri was in the lead so I was giving Carr a fair chance to throw one more punch. The reality was that they were tied and Yuri's only chance to win was to take the pole and the victory so my decision to move the race earlier which only give him one lap to qualify ruined his chances at winning. I think everyone knows Yuri could have easily beat a 2:43.xx if he had one more lap, so it was my fault that he didn't get that opportunity. I will make an announcement when we reach a decision.


This is a good example of why I want to take a break from a points-based series format. My own system has gotten so complicated that even I can't keep track of it and a simple screw up in math has caused a major fiasco. In reality it's still just a game and shouldn't be that big of a deal, but the points make it a big deal and now feelings may be hurt and tempers may flare. I just want to have fun and provide fun, I don't want to have an innocent non-racing mistake ruin people's fun.
 
The reality was that they were tied and Yuri's only chance to win was to take the pole and the victory so my decision to move the race earlier which only give him one lap to qualify ruined his chances at winning.
A correction : yuri only needed to win and carr not have the pole. That way they are tied on points and wins, but yuri would've had one more pole. So with carr not in the race and not on pole yesterday, yuri's quali didn't matter at all.
 
This is a good example of why I want to take a break from a points-based series format. My own system has gotten so complicated that even I can't keep track of it and a simple screw up in math has caused a major fiasco. In reality it's still just a game and shouldn't be that big of a deal, but the points make it a big deal and now feelings may be hurt and tempers may flare. I just want to have fun and provide fun, I don't want to have an innocent non-racing mistake ruin people's fun.

Stop beating yourself up: It may have helped if a certain Irishman had actually updated the points in a timely manner. :guilty:
 
I believe I did. It was fluky to say the least as I believe four of us (me, yuri, Marcus and carr) all did 2'42.4s, so there wasn't much in it. And you have to put an asterisk on it, because yuri only got one lap for qualification, the rest of us got up to three. If you factor in Dsg's brake problems, Marcus lacking practice and Carr not performing his best, it's as lucky a pole as you'll ever see. I'm just relieved that it didn't effect the championship in the end.

Congratulations to Carracer and Yuri on running a great series of races. You guys are a deserved winner and runner-up, but also in a more figurative way, you are both genuine champions to me. It's not just that you two are very fast drivers, but your consistency, car control and fairplay are second to none. Congrats to Dsgerbc for 3rd place.

A big thanks to Brandon, Aardvark and Owensracing for running this series and hosting races. You guys did a perfect job and I really enjoyed my time here. I apologize for the headaches I may have caused with my on-track mistakes and misjudgments, but I think I have learned a lot and I hope it will improve my overall driving performances in the future.
 
I am dying to know how this is going to turn out?
 
Congratulations to Carracer and Yuri on running a great series of races. You guys are a deserved winner and runner-up, but also in a more figurative way, you are both genuine champions to me. It's not just that you two are very fast drivers, but your consistency, car control and fairplay are second to none. Congrats to Dsgerbc for 3rd place.

A big thanks to Brandon, Aardvark and Owensracing for running this series and hosting races. You guys did a perfect job and I really enjoyed my time here. I apologize for the headaches I may have caused with my on-track mistakes and misjudgments, but I think I have learned a lot and I hope it will improve my overall driving performances in the future.

Ditto to all comments listed above by Saga, even though I was always at the back it was still heated yet gentlemanly (is that even a word :dunce: ) affair.

I really look forward to the future of this group and would love to remain a part. Not only to gain experience, but to enjoy the controlled yet fun atmosphere.

:cheers: to all you guys, and, whichever way the championship goes it's a great result either way for the group as a whole.

Now off I go to build some more sand castles (have become a professional at that :lol: )
 
We have agreed that Carr and Yuri will be co-champions of the series. Because my screw up directly effected the likely outcome and they ended up in a tie in almost all categories I feel like it wouldn't be fair to chose one or the other. Both of them are deserving of the title and displayed champion material throughout the season. They have both agreed to this decision and I thank them both for being understanding and cooperative.

I hope this doesn't put too big of a black eye on the season. We struggled all season to adapt to the ever changing landscape that was put before us but managed to pull off an overall successful and fun series. I want to thank everyone that participated for your patience and understanding as we constantly had to adapt and make new rules. Also for everyone's willingness to make room for people when we had to limit participation to 12, we always had volunteers to make room for others and there were no unfortunate situations where somebody tried to make a race and was unable to get in the room. You guys really helped to keep the headaches as minor as possible and I appreciate that greatly. You really are a top notch bunch of drivers and a very gentlemanly group all around. It's been my privilege and pleasure to race with you. :cheers:
 
Congrats Carr and Yuri!

*Hopes it's Cappy time*
 
Congrats to both. Both were certainly the class of the field week in and week out. Nice job fellas.
 
Congrats to both champs!

Kudos to Brandon for sorting this out this way and for all other directing. Special thanks to RDAardvark and Owens for their efforts. And thanks to everyone else for making this a very enjoyable series. Hope to meet all of you soon enough on the track.
 
Congratulations to Carr on an excellent season:tup:. He's a well deserving Champion and a great sportsman to boot.👍👍 It's an honour to be able to share the title with you. :) There's a lot of luck involved in winning a title at least on my part...lol...and I can recall a couple of real close calls this season that went my way and without the benefit of that good fortune, I would have been well down the standings for sure. Really there were probably a half dozen or more drivers that had a shot at the title and a couple of breaks here or there and it would have been a completely different picture.

It was great to see some new faces in the group after the third season of the Capp Cup and great fun to race with each of you. I think we all improved our racecraft this season to some degree and the Alfa Zagato was a great choice in that regard. Not having to constantly tune and retune the car enabled all of us to focus on driving throughout the season. There were many close races with many different drivers throughout the season and I can't forget the spectacular mid-season WRS vs. ORCA event that Brandon and WRP put together.

Brandon, thank you sincerely for all the time and effort you put into this group. I've said it before and I'll say it again, we all owe you a big debt of gratitude because without Race Directors' like yourself volunteering their time to this arduous and often thankless task, there would be no organized racing for the rest of us. You're a genuinely good guy and I know you agonize over being fair and just to everyone far more than most people would, and that sense of justice and fairness is a big part of what makes this the best place on GTPlanet to hang out. 👍 👍

Thanks to RD and Owens as well for their work in the background of the Alfa Series, planning, organizing and providing feedback throughout the season. Special thanks to RD for all his technical wizardry, without which it would not look nearly so nice and organized around here...👍

Looking forward to some spec racing and whatever the next major season at ORCA brings:tup:
 
Last edited:
Congratulations to both champs...! Well deserved that you stand at the top of podium, yet a lot of contenders had the skills to be there.
And a big 'Thank You' to all drivers in this league. You have all been part of making it a pleasure to race here.
I sure intend to stick around for the next season!

And of course, as always, very well organized by the race-directors and stewards, Brandon, RD and his Irish elfs, Yuri and Owen.
You all kept the lines straight, even the road got bumpy, and still maintained the welcoming and fun atmosphere.
:cheers:
 
Last edited:
Great season.

Brandon, you did a great job running the season. The tracks, the cars, keeping everything going. Great job to you and anybody else who helped.

I had fun racing with everybody here. I really looked forward to it every week. The car handles great, so it made for some spectacular races. It was close quarters at times, but everyone kept a level head and we all managed some of the closest finishes I've ever seen.

The level of competition was strong and fast, and very hard to pass. Dsg, Yuri, wii, Owens, WRP, hydro, sag.... everyone was just keeping a hard pace to follow.

Yuri, you ran strong all season. I was just trying to keep pace. It was epic battling you at Monza and Spa. You're a great sportsman and driver and well-deserving of the champion title.
 
I'm proud be part of ORCA and very pleased to see yuri and carr crowned as joint champions. At the risk of repeating what has already been said, I find the sportsmanship, camaraderie and sense of humour just fantastic in this group and hope to be racing again soon with you all.
 
Thanks to Carr and Johnny for being so cooperative about splitting the title. Don't look at it as a concession, look at it as two very fitting champions sharing the glory. And yes, you'll both get 1st place prize cars. :)

Some quick stats from the season:

7 weeks
28 races
524 laps
1,934 miles
12 different winners
6 double-header sweeps
10 different pole sitters
Team victory in the WRS vs. ORCA special event.
2 Champions
1 group of exceptional drivers and gentlemen.


:gtpflag:
 
Last edited:
7 weeks
28 races
524 laps
1,934 miles
12 different winners
6 double-header sweeps
10 different pole sitters
Team victory in the WRS vs. ORCA special event.
2 Champions
1 group of exceptional drivers and gentlemen.

:gtpflag:

:cheers:
 
:)Couple of announcements fellas:

Congratulations again to Team ORCA at VCRC tournament #4 in the sped Ford RS200. For the fourth week in a row and this time with a completely full grid of entrants, we once again dominated the three race/one day tournament with 4 of us combining to claim all three wins, 2-2nds and 2-3rds and with Owens and Brandon taking the top 2 spots overall. Congratulations fellas on another strong outing by Team ORCA:tup:

As a side note, now that the ORCA season is over if you guys are looking for some fun racing this is a good place to give it a spin in a new car every week, usually on the tires that the car comes with. It's definitely fun and you can enter or not enter as many of the one day events as you like. And, you will also see the nearly unbelievable spectacle of Brandon, our beloved leader (shameful plug:scared:)running out front, hanging in there with the best drivers and it makes you realize he's just been sandbagging in the Alfa all season so as not to dominate the series and make us all feel bad...:sly:

On a bittersweet note, my friend and yours, Yuri, has decided to retire from competitive racing for the most part. His spot on Team ORCA will be filled by me,"Johnnypenso" and I am actively building my stable of competitive cars. Yuri may fill in at some point if I can't come up with a certain hard to find and untradeable car, but expect not to see Yuri around much, if at all.

I'd appreciate it if anyone on Yuri's friends list could send an FR to me Johnny to smooth out the transition.

:)
 
:)Couple of announcements fellas:

Congratulations again to Team ORCA at VCRC tournament #4 in the sped Ford RS200. For the fourth week in a row and this time with a completely full grid of entrants, we once again dominated the three race/one day tournament with 4 of us combining to claim all three wins, 2-2nds and 2-3rds and with Owens and Brandon taking the top 2 spots overall. Congratulations fellas on another strong outing by Team ORCA:tup:

As a side note, now that the ORCA season is over if you guys are looking for some fun racing this is a good place to give it a spin in a new car every week, usually on the tires that the car comes with. It's definitely fun and you can enter or not enter as many of the one day events as you like. And, you will also see the nearly unbelievable spectacle of Brandon, our beloved leader (shameful plug:scared:)running out front, hanging in there with the best drivers and it makes you realize he's just been sandbagging in the Alfa all season so as not to dominate the series and make us all feel bad...:sly:

On a bittersweet note, my friend and yours, Yuri, has decided to retire from competitive racing for the most part. His spot on Team ORCA will be filled by me,"Johnnypenso" and I am actively building my stable of competitive cars. Yuri may fill in at some point if I can't come up with a certain hard to find and untradeable car, but expect not to see Yuri around much, if at all.

I'd appreciate it if anyone on Yuri's friends list could send an FR to me Johnny to smooth out the transition.

:)

I will need to call you JP now :)

Can you point me a link to the VCRC? I would like to show up for a race or too.

EDIT: found it, I can't make the times sadly.
 
Last edited:
I will need to call you JP now :)

Can you point me a link to the VCRC? I would like to show up for a race or too.

Goodbye yuri, it has been good knowing you and I'm sure we all wish you a happy and long retirement :( And welcome Johnny: I shall no doubt misspell your name many times. :cheers:

Carr: There is a link to the VCRC in my sig. There's usually something going on most days and nights. There's a mini endurance in the Mini '98 scheduled for later today.
 
Last edited:
Congrats Travis and Johnny!

Great job on the series Brandon, knew it would be great 👍

If you're planning on doing a spec. series soon I'd love to take part, always lots of laid-back fun with your group.
 
Hey Wardez, long time no see. Thanks for the kind words and congrats. Not sure exactly what the future will hold yet, but I'm pretty sure there will be lots and lots of "spec racing" as I've become quite a fan.

Carr (and everyone else), check the Clubs & Leagues section and you'll see several VCRC threads, there is an individual thread for every event as well as a social group hub. It's been a real treat racing with them the last few weeks and I highly recommend everybody check them out. It's very low-key and no hassle racing with a very enthusiastic and friendly group of drivers. And yes, I seem to do much better in these twitchy rwd cars on hard tires than in the Alfa's or Capp's, it's been a breath of fresh air for me. :)
 
I just realized, I went a whole season without any incidents! Yay me.

EDIT: Apart from Daytona. D'oh.
 
Carr: There is a link to the VCRC in my sig. There's usually something going on most days and nights. There's a mini endurance in the Mini '98 scheduled for later today.
I send a "Join Request", hope I get in.
Carr (and everyone else), check the Clubs & Leagues section and you'll see several VCRC threads, there is an individual thread for every event as well as a social group hub. It's been a real treat racing with them the last few weeks and I highly recommend everybody check them out. It's very low-key and no hassle racing with a very enthusiastic and friendly group of drivers. And yes, I seem to do much better in these twitchy rwd cars on hard tires than in the Alfa's or Capp's, it's been a breath of fresh air for me. :)

I see, I was looking at the old thread, glad to see you tearing it up over at VCRC 👍

I hope to be in more ORCA events as well.

:)Couple of announcements fellas:

Congratulations again to Team ORCA at VCRC tournament #4 in the sped Ford RS200. For the fourth week in a row and this time with a completely full grid of entrants, we once again dominated the three race/one day tournament with 4 of us combining to claim all three wins, 2-2nds and 2-3rds and with Owens and Brandon taking the top 2 spots overall. Congratulations fellas on another strong outing by Team ORCA:tup:

As a side note, now that the ORCA season is over if you guys are looking for some fun racing this is a good place to give it a spin in a new car every week, usually on the tires that the car comes with. It's definitely fun and you can enter or not enter as many of the one day events as you like. And, you will also see the nearly unbelievable spectacle of Brandon, our beloved leader (shameful plug:scared:)running out front, hanging in there with the best drivers and it makes you realize he's just been sandbagging in the Alfa all season so as not to dominate the series and make us all feel bad...:sly:

On a bittersweet note, my friend and yours, Yuri, has decided to retire from competitive racing for the most part. His spot on Team ORCA will be filled by me,"Johnnypenso" and I am actively building my stable of competitive cars. Yuri may fill in at some point if I can't come up with a certain hard to find and untradeable car, but expect not to see Yuri around much, if at all.

I'd appreciate it if anyone on Yuri's friends list could send an FR to me Johnny to smooth out the transition.

:)

If you would like I can send you some "rare ish" 0/0/0 cars and some tickets if you like.
 
I send a "Join Request", hope I get in.
Hope to see you there: You'll need an unblemished Mini for tonight's event.

I see, I was looking at the old thread, glad to see you tearing it up over at VCRC 👍

I hope to be in more ORCA events as well.

👍 Let us know what you are interested in - All ideas for future events and series are welcome.

If you would like I can send you some "rare ish" 0/0/0 cars and some tickets if you like.

Johhny: Expect to be inundated with horrendous racing suits, helmets and tastefully painted cars!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back