Anyone still play GT4?

I thought the same thing last night while wrestling with the Midfield race in Supercar Festival (yes, my driving habits need to be refined again, ha!) or wondering if it was because the game was "new to me" again, like it was when it came out? I like 6 far much more than 5. I always thought 4 was great anyway.
I remember trying to tackle the Midfield Supercar Festival race with a pickup truck... No that didn't work out very well...

I don't know if my opinion is biased or not, but i tend to prefer the GT4 for some reason. Seems to me that the main focus of the game was different back then. There are better simulations than Gran Turismo in general, but there is no better Gran Turismo than GT4 for me.

GT5 has a bad engine in general in comparison to GT4 and GT6, and GT6 is lacking substance in comparison to GT4.

I would like to see a GT4ish engine with remodeled graphics, added tracks and most importantly smarter AI like in newer games.

I just recently started playing GT4 again after a good few years away from it. My motivation was the realization that GT6 is now't but a money-grabbing venture by PD (you can buy a top-priced car for £120 in real money ffs).
That and the game itself is wafer-thin and the licenses are brief and pointless.

Anyway, I'm now using a Logitech G25 wheel and having a hoot. Only issue being my lap times are vastly inferior with the wheel. This is despite my laps "feeling" a lot smoother and more controlled. Don't understand it.
Example - previous record on License S13 (Infineon) 1:14.8xx - gold.
Current best 1:19:8xx - bronze.

Likewise S16 ('Ring) previous record 6:59:7xx - gold. Can only manage 7:20:2xx now :confused:

I'm sure my times will improve gradually, but it seems absurd that I'm so far away from gold times on most license tests even though my efforts feel - to me anyway - much better.

I recently started playing GT4 again after getting bored with GT6. Just realised that I'm currently at 38.6% in completing the game.

Currently stuck at the 'Gran Turismo All-Stars' event. The AI sure is tough.

I bought an used PS3 60 gb yesterday. I have never played GT4 before. El Captain is a marvelous track. Hot lapping Seattle reminds me my childhood when I used to play GT2, but with Logitech DFGT is a totally new experience. The drawback is that this PS3 console works very loudly, I have to do something with its radiator;)

I don't regularly play it... but I do love the occasional race! Motorland is awesome, and so are the rally tracks! (Way better than Toscana IMO....) :crazy:

And of course, GT4 is the only game where the Formula GT reigns supreme over all. :D
I would clear my memory card and re-play it from 0%, but I don't like how many license tests there are... Too damn many!!! :mad:

I don't regularly play it... but I do love the occasional race! Motorland is awesome, and so are the rally tracks! (Way better than Toscana IMO....) :crazy:

And of course, GT4 is the only game where the Formula GT reigns supreme over all. :D
I would clear my memory card and re-play it from 0%, but I don't like how many license tests there are... Too damn many!!! :mad:
Kazanori loves licenses though, the 1-lap guides are the most annoying in the licenses department.

For anyone having trouble running GT4 on an old PS2
You just need to take it apart and clean it, when the laser lens gets dirty it will still read most games, but not GT4 and a few others,
There are a couple good YouTube videos showing how to take it apart clean the lens and put it back together, its not difficult, just go slow, and yea l still play GT4 on my PS2, and l just got a copy of GT3, l also have GT1, just need to find a copy of GT2 next

I do still play GT4, even though I completed it to 100% a long time ago...I've restarted a playthrough a few months ago, and I'm now roughly around 85%. I don't have any Playstation other than my PS2 so I was left behind by this series, but I certainly plan on making up for it in the future. For now, I'll stick to my beloved GT4, which will remain one of my favourite games of all time without a doubt. :)

For anyone having trouble running GT4 on an old PS2
You just need to take it apart and clean it, when the laser lens gets dirty it will still read most games, but not GT4 and a few others,
There are a couple good YouTube videos showing how to take it apart clean the lens and put it back together, its not difficult, just go slow, and yea l still play GT4 on my PS2, and l just got a copy of GT3, l also have GT1, just need to find a copy of GT2 next

It happened to me as well, all I had to do was take a cotton swab, put some alcohol on it, and clean the lens of the PS2 very carefully (I have the slim PS2 so it's easy to access it). GT4 started working again like a charm.

I played GT3 as a kid but always wanted GT4. Me and my girlfriend found a nice PS2 at a thrift store so we got it and come to find out my girlfriend's landlord knows someone who works on the GT series recording sounds and has a ore release copy of GT4 he gave to me. So I have been playing it non stop. I'm like everyone else was here just 11 years too late. Lol. I love this game and I'm learning about it as I go along!

I've been farming Sunday cup for the money and clearing my record to get the cars which I sell. seems to be working.

I played GT3 as a kid but always wanted GT4. Me and my girlfriend found a nice PS2 at a thrift store so we got it and come to find out my girlfriend's landlord knows someone who works on the GT series recording sounds and has a ore release copy of GT4 he gave to me. So I have been playing it non stop. I'm like everyone else was here just 11 years too late. Lol. I love this game and I'm learning about it as I go along!

I've been farming Sunday cup for the money and clearing my record to get the cars which I sell. seems to be working.
I know the feeling...it's a wonderful game, so enjoy it the most you can :) there are extremely quicker ways to make money, but that's the good part of the first playthrough, and what lets you enjoy the game 100% :D

I know the feeling...it's a wonderful game, so enjoy it the most you can :) there are extremely quicker ways to make money, but that's the good part of the first playthrough, and what lets you enjoy the game 100% :D
I have been using a 400hp Celica in b spec mode to farm money to start the 4WD section. It's a much more strategic game now that I'm older.

I have been using a 400hp Celica in b spec mode to farm money to start the 4WD section. It's a much more strategic game now that I'm older.
There are tricks that you can use (not cheats, just some tricks) if you already know the game, that can get you into the millions of credits in like half a day of playing. :) but then, you lose all the fun of scratching your way from nothing all the way to the top.

Still have PS2 and GT4 and play with DFGT (i have GT6 also).... the GT4 for me is they are away the best package (except of the graphics of course) of GT series for offline racing and gaming.
Agreed, best package by a long way. :cheers:
Back playing GT4 (again) myself, aside from the graphics (how did I put up with them before, lol) it has the best gameplay, best range of races, even best AI. I'd forgotten how difficult some of those guys were, in 5 and 6, if you passed a guy, he would just drop back...in GT4, he actually fights for position.

Someone mentioned back a page or two how great it would be to have GT4 with todays graphics.
I can just imagine (mind in overdrive) how COOL it would be if PD re-invented and re-released a NEW GT4 for the PS4. :eek: With ALL it had, numerous races, better AI (?) and ALL those amazing old tracks like El Captain, George V Paris, Hong Kong, New York...... I absolutely LOVE all the old tracks, not to mention all versions (long and short) for Grand Valley and Suzuka.

If by chance PD see this, c'mon guys, how about it? 👍 :)

Agreed, best package by a long way. :cheers:
Back playing GT4 (again) myself, aside from the graphics (how did I put up with them before, lol) it has the best gameplay, best range of races, even best AI. I'd forgotten how difficult some of those guys were, in 5 and 6, if you passed a guy, he would just drop back...in GT4, he actually fights for position.

Someone mentioned back a page or two how great it would be to have GT4 with todays graphics.
I can just imagine (mind in overdrive) how COOL it would be if PD re-invented and re-released a NEW GT4 for the PS4. :eek: With ALL it had, numerous races, better AI (?) and ALL those amazing old tracks like El Captain, George V Paris, Hong Kong, New York...... I absolutely LOVE all the old tracks, not to mention all versions (long and short) for Grand Valley and Suzuka.

If by chance PD see this, c'mon guys, how about it? 👍 :)
If they did that, they should just shut up and take my money, on day one, no matter the price :D

Can someone make a list of all the events in Gran Turismo mode that are required to complete in order to obtain 100%? Here's what I have off the top of my head. Please feel free to tell me what I'm missing....

1)Beginner Event
2)Professional event
3)Japanese event
4)American event
5)European event
6)Special Condition Races
7)Endurance Races
8)Driving Missions
9)License Tests

....?

Last edited:
You also need all the Manufacturers' Races.

I'm pretty sure this list already exists somewhere around here.

Whenever I play GT4, I drive as much as possible on snow or dirt because I quickly get fed up with stiff physics on tarmac. I would probably play it more often if I could just use my own cars in the Arcade Mode (it's the only place where you can make your own races, Family Cups are not good as they last for two laps only).

Is it possible to use some cheat codes or tools to fix the Family Cup lap count? If there is a possibility, I would think about it for sure.

You also need all the Manufacturers' Races.

I'm pretty sure this list already exists somewhere around here.

WOW are you serious??? No *WONDER* I'm only at 50% complete! I've done all the events I listed above with the exception of only a few more Extreme races to go, and my completion percentage is only at 50% lol. Wow. Thanks for letting me know. Guess I've got my work cut out for me then heh.

Bought my son a PS2 with a ton of games for Christmas, and when he's playing it, about 90% of that time is spent either playing GT4 or V8 Supercars (TOCA) Race Driver.

He's only just turned 5, but is pretty competent in AC and Pcars with my wheel, so I'm thinking about getting him an old DFGT or DFP for the PS2.

Still have the game and a slim PS2 - NSX Type S Zero, R34 GTR and Lancer Evo VI at old Fuji Speedway, never bored, reliving old BM races there ( Gan-san with NSX was always epic )

Can someone make a list of all the events in Gran Turismo mode that are required to complete in order to obtain 100%? Here's what I have off the top of my head. Please feel free to tell me what I'm missing....

1)Beginner Event
2)Professional event
3)Japanese event
4)American event
5)European event
6)Special Condition Races
7)Endurance Races
8)Driving Missions
9)License Tests

....?
10) Extreme events
11) One make races