ARMA III new gameplay video!

• Thread starter Gabkicks
  • 134 comments
Gabkicks
GabkicksX
I'm actually looking forward to this a bit more than Battlefield 3. but i'll be getting both games. đź‘Ť

Wow, looks fantastic. Still sometimes play Arma 2. Good game.
After Flashpoint 1 I was hooked. And that OF1 is now renamed as ARMA shows the spirit.
looking forward to this.
hope for more Jets in it đź‘Ť

Looks awesome, bet the Commanche will be fun!

Wonder if you can plant explosives on the hulls of ships/subs as a frogman?

Thanks for posting, looking forward to Arma III

Wonder if you can plant explosives on the hulls of ships/subs as a frogman?

That question was brought up at a E3 interview and if I remember corrrectly they said they're looking into it.

I wonder PC specs,I'll be getting it,specially if it includes the mission editor from previous games.

I also wonder the expansion for AI,one of the best AI programmed for any game currently in the market.

This video is from E3 I am pretty sure. They need to improve the game performance and hopefully it looks good in low, medium settings too

"Dynamic night lighting" was a bit bad, especially because the beacons from the car don't illuminate anything.The rest looks alright, especially for the huge environments.

I really can't tell what that guy's accent is, he sounds English but he's got a funny way of speaking. I can't wait for this, A2 was and still is brilliant, and I've read that Day Z is being developed to work with A3 too so with any luck it might encourage people who might not have played Arma otherwise to give it a go.

I'm pretty sure they've got fictional vehicles in A3 which I suppose is fair enough if they want to make it near-future, but I think I'd prefer to see all-real vehicles and equipment. I'm sure I won't even notice when I'm playing it though.

Can we get the OP edited to turn this into a general Arma 3 thread please?

The alpha is out now, ÂŁ19.99 for the standard edition and ÂŁ34.99 for the digital deluxe edition. The former comes with:

- Alpha access
- 3 Alpha lite invites (not until the 14th)
- Beta access
- The full game.

The latter comes with:

- A copy of Arma: Cold War Assault now, and on the full game's release:
- Digital soundtrack
- Digital maps
- Digital tactical guide.

The alpha itself contains:

- The 20km^2 map of Stratis
- Four showcases; Infantry, SCUBA, vehicles and helicopter
- Multiplayer scenarios
- 8 vehicles and... Some weapons (with customisation)
- Content creation (i.e. scenario editor)
- The new engine (of course).

Requirements are suspiciously low, and, 'shockingly', I've heard some people can get it to run on a toaster whilst others with superior hardware are struggling to get double figure frame rates.

I've just bought the ÂŁ20 version, downloading now... Zoo, if you see this, how is it?

Once you guys get into the missions can anyone figure out who to do the scuba one without setting off the alarm ? ? ?

I only played maybe 10 minutes of it, but it looks great and feels much smoother then arma 2. Hopefully I can get my 2 year old to take a nap soon and put some time into it and see how it really is.

I'd be interested to hear some views on this game. IIRC there will be a version which includes all future DLC for free (aka BF3 Premium, Arma style).

My PC arrives next week and I'm contemplating whether it's worth getting Arma 2 for now or just diving in straight on 3 and going for that complete edition if I didn't make it up.

I heard about that edition too but there's no sign of it on Steam. Arma II's DLC was a bit lame, though, they'd add all the weapons, vehicles, characters and locations to the base game for free (for compatibility when playing online), which was awesome, but the ÂŁ8 you'd pay for the DLC itself got you high resolution skins (wow) and a singleplayer campaign which was always a bit lacklustre. Operation Arrowhead was the only thing that was really worth getting, that was a full expansion which was optionally stand alone and it made huge improvements to the engine; I'm guessing if there is a large expansion for Arma 3 it won't be covered by the complete edition and the smaller DLCs may not be all that worthwhile anyway, assuming they still add all the assets for free (which they may not).

I was just typing up a response to your second part under the assumption that Arma II and Operation Arrowhead (which is a must have, maybe even more than Arma II itself!) were still really expensive, but at ÂŁ3.99 and ÂŁ5.99 respectively I say do it. It's a very, very unforgiving game (because it's really more of a simulator) but it's awesome at the same time. The Day Z mod (which now has Steam integration for ease of use) adds a great deal of value to it too.

Edit: Oh, this is just a one week deal, 50% off until the 12th. You can get Arma II, Operation Arrowhead, British Armed Forces, PMC and Army of the Czech Republic for ÂŁ12.49, which I'd definitely really recommend. I mean yeah, I just said the DLCs are kind of worthless as most of the content is included, but ÂŁ2.49 for the high definition textures and extra missions is a good deal.

Edit again: I've just played the alpha for a few hours. Not a lot of content (shocking, right?) in terms of missions but I haven't touched multiplayer yet, the graphics are stunning but it's quite a heavy game to run, with my 680 on one monitor and reasonably high but not completely maxed settings I was getting an average of 40fps on foot, 25 in a vehicle (because the picture in picture feature is quite power hungry, but you can't turn it off because you'll lose the ability to use vehicle weapons) and 20 in the helicopter (I guess because of having to draw 2km in all directions?). The default settings, which were everything maxed, on triples I was getting 20fps on foot and 10 in the chopper, didn't try the vehicle showcase.

I think this might be the game that motivates me to get another 680!

Last edited:
Unfortunately I may not even have my PC before the 12th, but never mind.

To be honest I'll probably get 2 and 3 Alpha asap. I've always been very interested in them and despite the fact I'll probably be awful I still want to experience the game. Put it this way, I liked OF: Dragon Rising on PS3 which is such a poor mans Arma. I've seen Arma 2, with all it's DLC isn't too pricey for me so I'll likely get that for now, get the alpha after trying Arma 2 for a bit by which point there will be a tonne of user made content I imagine and come full Arma 3 consider a second graphics card as well (Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X Ghz 3gb is my start point). Hopefully as this is Alpha the game will only run smoother and smoother over time as they optimize it more.

The second graphics card is purely dependent on how much I play my PS3 between now and PS4 release, as this is my first proper venture in to PC gaming (specs). Games like this will likely be a big push towards going all out on the PC master race and skipping the PS4 at least temporarily.

You could buy it now at the reduced price, if you were to create a Steam account now you could buy the game and then when you log in to it on your PC you'll have Arma II sitting there waiting to be downloaded. Just a suggestion!

Codemasters' OpFlash is very different to Arma II, OpFlash: DR and RR are closer to Medal of Honour 2010 than Arma II because of the linear nature and not quite so hardcore damage, though Arma 3 is a lot more playable than Arma II as I'm sure I took a few hits when I played and was able to heal myself. I'd say the closest thing to A2 is probably the original Ghost Recon because of the squad orders, stances and one or two hit kills.

The thing about PC gaming is it can be cheap, but it's so easy to get bitten by the compulsive gearhead bug that it can also spiral out of control quickly. On my list right now are an i7 (I've got an i5 2500K), another 680 and three Dell U2212HMs (or whatever is new, 1080p, 60Hz, IPS and about ÂŁ150 when I can think about spending that much). All that would cost pretty much the same as what the PC cost to build in the first place in 2011...

I'll DL this once I get my computer running.

The ragdoll physics got me drooling all over the keyboard.

BTW, I might need to upgrade to an i5 2500k, and maybe 16 gigs of ram, if possible, just to play it on 1080 in high, no idea what reasonable priced GPU to get to get it running with good frames and high settings.

I'll DL this once I get my computer running.

The ragdoll physics got me drooling all over the keyboard.

BTW, I might need to upgrade to an i5 2500k, and maybe 16 gigs of ram, if possible, just to play it on 1080 in high, no idea what reasonable priced GPU to get to get it running with good frames and high settings.

What CPU do you have?
My 950 works fine with it.

I don't think you need 16GB RAM either, I have 8 and it doesn't come close to maxing that out. As for the graphics card, I have a GTX 680 (with a 2500K) and I get about 40fps at 1680x1050 with most settings maxed, so... I imagine that'll improve over time, and then there's the fact that there has been no driver optimisation yet, I updated my drivers last night and unsurprisingly there was no mention of Arma 3 in the notes.

Edit: For some reason I decided to check the Steam forums for Arma 3 (please kill me if I ever do that again) and saw lots of threads about poor CPU core utilisation with some people reporting that Arma 3 was only using one core at 80% and the other three were only at 30%, basically equating to two cores under reasonable load (I know it doesn't quite work that way, but... Shh). I decided to test the game in windowed mode, same resolution, with Task Manager and Afterburner running on another monitor. What I found was that I was getting 20fps with reasonable load across all four cores, but my graphics card's GPU usage percentage was very low.

This isn't the first game I've had this problem with, I think Sniper Elite V2 had a similar issue which was fixed pretty quickly. Poor CPU utilisation is a problem with the engine that is hard to fix, but I don't appear to have that problem, it's poor GPU utilisation... So hopefully when that's fixed so I can use 100% I'll see 30+ fps.

Edit again: I've tested the chopper and infantry showcases, in the infantry one I had 100% GPU utilisation at points (35-40fps) and the chopper one was below 50% (20-25fps). Weird!

Last edited:
What CPU do you have?
My 950 works fine with it.
Right now I have:

i32120(CPU)
8BG DDR3 1333 RAM
Board clocked at 1333
Crappy PSU
and a broken sata 500GB Samsung HD.

Since then I've had a HD5770, to then have a vapor HD7770, a reasonable priced build(not fancy or anything), both cores have a rather good performance, no game ever managed to fully utilize both cores at full capacity(3 physical cores, 4 threads).

I had ArmA 2 OA running at 35+fps, dropping to like 20 on really busy moments, Reading on Bohemia interactive forums I found out that the build running the gamescom and e3 demos were i5 2500ks with a GTX 560(I think it was that GPU, not sure), reading through the forums I heard one of the devs saying that a build capable of running OA fine would be able to run ArmA III as well(no idea if just as well).

By the looks of it I need to upgrade to a good 4 cores processor, is a shame however that devs cannot make the thing run with the 4 physical ones, but I'm sure it will be a standard for games to come.

More RAM doesn't mean more speed, it will be handy since now watch dogs and this will have massive scenarios that will suffer from loading from HD, i5 2500k is probably one of the best processors for gaming, and I would like to have one of those on my system.

I still need to figure out a good/reasonable priced GPU for it.

Last edited:
So I gave the Alpha a quick go on my new rig as my first PC gaming experience in about 10 years. I felt bad, the game deserves a player more skilled then I but it was damn good fun nonetheless. Also runs super smooth for me on my admittedly overkill system for a first rig, but it looked fantastic because of it on Ultra.

Feels like a bargain given the full game is free now when it does come out (if you purchase the Alpha you get Beta and full game access on release). Can't wait to play more.

No, sorry. Bohemia did do a limited release of 50 alpha codes this morning though, follow @arma3official on Twitter (and I guess Facebook?) and they might give some more away. I got one (I happened to be on Twitter when they announced it) but I gave it away... If you'd posted three hours sooner it would've been yours!

Thanks Neema. I really hate using facebook or twitter to get some codes for any game, so I guess I going to have to save up and buy the game.

Thanks Neema. I really hate using facebook or twitter to get some codes for any game, so I guess I going to have to save up and buy the game.

Well I'll keep an eye out anyway. You could try some Arma forums too, rockpapershotgun.com has a thread specifically for sharing invites.

Latest Posts

Back